(单词翻译:单击)
I used to love taking showers until October 20, 2017.
在2017年10月20日之前,我一直很享受洗澡
I remember that day.
我永远记得那一天
Because on that day, as I was washing my hair and pulled my hand away from my head, there was a massive clump of hair tangled in my hand.
因为那天,我洗头的时候,把手从头上拿开,有一大团头发缠在我的手里
I just stared at it. It looked like a tarantula.
我盯着它看
I tried not to think about it, till the next time I showered, and it happened again, and again, and again, and again.
我试着不去想它,直到下一次洗澡,它一次又一次地发生,一次又一次,一次又一次
Within a few months, I lost over 50% of my hair.
几个月内,我掉了超过50%的头发
I was basically bald at the back of my head.
我的后脑勺基本上都秃了
Then one day, my boyfriend turns to me and says maybe you should get a wig.
有一天,我男朋友对我说,也许你应该戴个假发
I cried so hard that night.
那天晚上我哭得很厉害
But two weeks later, on Valentine's Day of all days, I walked into a wig shop.
但两周后的情人节那天,我走进了一家假发店
I took off my winter hat to reveal my mess of patchy, thin hair.
我摘下冬帽,露出一头乱蓬蓬的稀疏头发
As the wig shop owner looked through my scalp, he told me that I may have alopecia and that it's perfectly normal and lots of his clients who have it wear wigs and feel good about themselves.
假发店老板检查我的头皮,告诉我,我可能有脱发现象,这是非常正常的,他的很多客户都戴着假发,感觉都很好
Then he showed me the most beautiful wig you could ever imagine.
然后他给我看了你能想象到的最漂亮的假发
And me, a perfect Indian woman, so I bought it.
而我,一个完美的印度女人,所以我买了
Yet the very next day, I felt like a fraud, like I was hiding a dirty little secret.
然而就在第二天,我感觉自己像个骗子,好像在隐藏一个肮脏的秘密
And because of this wig, I can't shower at the gym or go swimming or even ride a fxxk roller coaster.
因为这顶假发,我不能在健身房洗澡,不能去游泳,甚至不能坐过山车
I essentially lost all spontaneity in my life.
我基本上失去了生活中所有的自发性
And within a few weeks, the truth became clear.
几周之内,真相大白
I am not allowed to be me.
我不能做我自己
I mean, to not be allowed to be is like not being allowed to see, blinded by the burden of expectations placed on me.
我的意思是,不能被大家看到,被寄予厚望的负担蒙蔽了双眼
I diapered beneath this wig, a physical embodiment of social, societal, and family pressures placed on me as a female, placed on me as an Indian woman.
我就像在这顶假发下面换尿布,这是社会和家庭压力的物理体现,施加在一个女性身上,施加在一个印度女性的身上
Should and shame, they're the same, and this wig, this wig, represents shame, unworthiness, other people's thoughts implanted into my mind.
“应该”和“羞耻”是一样的,而这顶假发代表着羞耻,无价值,别人的想法在我的脑袋里翻滚
I hate this. It feels like the pressure cooker inside me is about to go off.
我讨厌这样
My insides are screaming what if? What if I shave it all off?
我的内心在尖叫,如果我把它们都剃掉呢?
So, I went for it and fxxking shaved my head.
所以,我就去了,把我的头发剃光了
Hundreds of messages and phone calls flooded in, people telling me how brave I am.
成百上千的信息和电话蜂拥而至,都在告诉我我有多勇敢
Ladies came up to me on the streets and picked up their wig just a little bit for me to seesparse strands of their hair.
街上有女士走到我面前,拿起她们的假发,让我看她们稀疏的头发
But you know what? I felt fxxking terrible.
但是你知道吗?我感觉糟透了
Shaving my head was supposed to finally allow me to be myself.
剃光头本该最终让我做回我自己
But I literally couldn't recognize my own shadow.
但我真的认不出自己的影子了
Once again, avoiding mirrors. I became she. Who is she?
又一次,逃避镜子