铜山毛榉案(MP3+中英字幕) 第10期:当事人到访(7)
日期:2020-12-16 09:38

(单词翻译:单击)

"That is the letter which I have just received, Mr. Holmes, and my mind is made up that I will accept it.
"这是我刚接到的信,福尔摩斯先生,我已决定接受这个位置。
I thought, however, that before taking the final step I should like to submit the whole matter to your consideration."
然而,我认为在采取这最后一步以前最好把事情的全部经过告诉你,请你代为考虑。"
"Well, Miss Hunter, if your mind is made up, that settles the question," said Holmes, smiling.
"唔,亨特小姐,既然你已经拿定了主意,那就这么办吧。"福尔摩斯微笑着说。
"But you would not advise me to refuse?"
"但是你并不劝我拒绝它?"
"I confess that it is not the situation which I should like to see a sister of mine apply for."
"我承认我不愿意看到我自己的一个姐妹去申请这个职位。"
"What is the meaning of it all, Mr. Holmes?"
"这究竟是什么意思,福尔摩斯先生?"
"Ah, I have no data. I cannot tell. Perhaps you have yourself formed some opinion?"
"啊,我没有材料,说不上来,也许你已经有你自己的想法。"

福尔摩斯探案集 铜山毛榉

"Well, there seems to me to be only one possible solution.
"哦,我好象只有一种可能的解释。
Mr. Rucastle seemed to be a very kind, good-natured man.
鲁卡斯尔看来是个很和蔼、脾气很好的人。
Is it not possible that his wife is a lunatic, that he desires to keep the matter quiet for fear she should be taken to an asylum,
他的妻子会不会是个疯子,因而他想对此保守秘密,以免她被送入精神病院,
and that he humours her fancies in every way in order to prevent an outbreak?"
所以他要采取各种办法来满足她的癖好以防止她的神经病发作?"
"That is a possible solution -- in fact, as matters stand, it is the most probable one.
"这是一种说得过去的解释,实际上,事情可能就是这样,这是一种言之成理的解释。
But in any case it does not seem to be a nice household for a young lady."
但是无论如何,对于一位年轻的小姐来说,它并不是一户好的人家。"
"But the money, Mr. Holmes, the money!"
"可是,钱给得不少!福尔摩斯先生,钱给得不少啊!"
"Well, yes, of course the pay is good -- too good. That is what makes me uneasy.
"嗯,是的,当然那薪水是高的--太高了。这正是我担心的原因。
Why should they give you 120 pounds a year, when they could have their pick for 40 pounds? There must be some strong reason behind."
为什么他们要给你一百二十英镑一年,他们很可以出四十英镑挑选一个,这后面必定有些很特殊的原因。"
"I thought that if I told you the circumstances you would understand afterwards if I wanted your help.
"我想我把情况告诉了你,如果以后我请你帮忙的话,你就会明白是怎么回事。
I should feel so much stronger if I felt that you were at the back of me."
而且,我觉得如果有你做我的后盾,我就会胆壮一些。"

分享到