(单词翻译:单击)
I put into his hand a five-pound note.
我把一张五英磅的钞票塞进他手里。
Without waiting to hear more, I left the kitchen.
我没有再等他说什么便离开了厨房。
In passing the door of that sanctum some time after, I caught the words, --
不久之后我经过这间密室时,听见了这样的话:
"She'll happen do better for him nor ony o't' grand ladies."
“也许她比哪一个阔小姐都更配他呢。”
And again, "If she ben't one o' th' handsomest, she's noan faal and varry good-natured;
接着又说,“虽然她算不上最漂亮,但也不丑,而且脾气又好。
and i' his een she's fair beautiful, onybody may see that."
我见她长得还是比较好看的,谁都看得出来。”
I wrote to Moor House and to Cambridge immediately, to say what I had done: fully explaining also why I had thus acted.
我立即写信给沼泽居和剑桥,把我的情况告诉了他们,并详细解释了我为什么要这么干。
Diana and Mary approved the step unreservedly.
黛安娜和玛丽毫无保留地对此表示赞同,
Diana announced that she would just give me time to get over the honeymoon, and then she would come and see me.
黛安娜还说,让我过好蜜月,就来看我。
"She had better not wait till then, Jane," said Mr. Rochester, when I read her letter to him;
“她还是别等到那个时候吧,简,”罗切斯特先生听我读了她的信后说,
"if she does, she will be too late, for our honeymoon will shine our life long: its beams will only fade over your grave or mine."
“要不然她会太晚了,因为我们的蜜月的清辉会照耀我们一生,它的光芒只有在你我进入坟墓时才会消褪。”
How St. John received the news, I don't know: he never answered the letter in which I communicated it:
圣·约翰对这个消息的反响如何,我一无所知。我透露消息的那封信,他从来没有回复。
yet six months after he wrote to me, without, however, mentioning Mr. Rochester's name or alluding to my marriage.
但六个月后,他写信给我,却没有提及罗切斯特先生的名字,也没有说起我的婚事。
His letter was then calm, and, though very serious, kind.
他的信平静而友好,但很严肃。
He has maintained a regular, though not frequent, correspondence ever since:
从那以后,他虽不经常来信,却按时写给我,
he hopes I am happy, and trusts I am not of those who live without God in the world, and only mind earthly things.
祝我快乐,并相信我不会是那种活在世上,只顾俗事而忘了上帝的人。
You have not quite forgotten little Adèle, have you, reader? I had not;
你没有完全忘记小阿黛勒吧,是不是呀,读者?我并没有忘记。
I soon asked and obtained leave of Mr. Rochester, to go and see her at the school where he had placed her.
我向罗切斯特先生提出,并得到了他的许可,上他安顿小阿黛勒的学校去看看她。
Her frantic joy at beholding me again moved me much.
她一见我便欣喜若狂的情景,着实令我感动。
She looked pale and thin: she said she was not happy.
她看上去苍白消瘦,还说不愉快。
I found the rules of the establishment were too strict, its course of study too severe for a child of her age: I took her home with me.
我发现对她这样年龄的孩子来说,这个学校的规章太严格,课程太紧张了。我把她带回了家。
I meant to become her governess once more, but I soon found this impracticable;
我本想再当她的家庭教师,但不久却发现不切实际。
my time and cares were now required by another -- my husband needed them all.
现在我的时间与精力给了另一个人——我的丈夫全都需要它。