(单词翻译:单击)
I grew up in the late '70s in rural China
我成长于上世纪七十年代末的中国农村,
during the final years of my country's pursuit of absolute equality at the expense of liberty.
那正是我的祖国以自由为代价摆脱极度贫困的最后几年。
At that time, everybody had a job, but everyone was struggling.
那时,每个人都有工作,但每个人都过得很艰难。
In the early '80s, my dad was an electrician, and my mom worked two shifts in the local hospital.
在八十年代早期,我的父亲是位电工,而我的母亲在医院有两次轮班。
But still, we didn't have enough food, and our living conditions were dismal.
尽管如此,我们仍没有足够的食物,我们的居住环境很糟糕。
We were undoubtedly equal -- we were equally poor.
毋庸置疑,我们是平等的--平等的贫穷。
The state owned everything. We owned nothing.
国家拥有所有的东西。而我们什么都没有。
The story I'm going to share with you
我将和你们分享的故事
is about my struggles of overcoming adversity with my resilience, grit and sheer determination.
是我如何依靠自己的韧性、勇气和决心战胜逆境的。
No, I'm just kidding, I'm not going to do that to you.
才怪,我开玩笑的,我才不会那么对你们。
Instead, I'm going to tell you, what I'm going to talk about today is about a new form of collective poverty
相反,我会告诉你们,今天我要讲的是一种新型的集体性贫困,
that many of us don't recognize and that urgently needs to be understood.
这种贫困并不为我们大部分人而所知,但亟需被我们理解。
I'm sure you've noticed that in the past 20 years, that asset has emerged.
我相信你们肯定注意到了在过去的20年中,这种资产正变得越来越重要。
It's been generating wealth at a breakneck pace.
而且正在以快速而危险的速度创造出财富。
As a tool, it has brought businesses deep customer insights, operational efficiency and enormous top-line growth.
作为一种工具,它给商业带来了深刻的客户洞见、运行效率以及巨大的顶线增长。
But for some, it has also provided a device to manipulate a democratic election
但是对有些人,这种资产也为操纵民主选举
or perform surveillance for profit or political purposes.
或进行监视提供了工具,以达到盈利或政治目的。
What is this miracle asset? You've guessed it: it's data.
这种神奇的资产是什么?你们已经猜到了:是数据。
Seven out of the top 10 most valuable companies in the world are tech companies
全世界最有价值的10家公司中有7家是科技公司,
that either directly generate profit from data or are empowered by data from the core.
它们要么直接从数据中产生利润,要么核心业务由数据支撑。
Multiple surveys show that the vast majority of business decision makers regard data as an essential asset for success.
许多调研显示,大部分的商业决策者将数据视为成功的关键资产。
We have all experienced how data is shifting this major paradigm shift for our personal, economic and political lives.
我们都经历了数据在我们的个人、经济和政治生活中进行的范式转变。
Whoever owns the data owns the future. But who's producing the data?
拥有数据的人就拥有了未来。但是谁在产生数据?
I assume everyone in this room has a smartphone,
我相信这个屋子里的所有人都有智能手机,
several social media accounts and has done a Google search or two in the past week.
若干个社交媒体账号,并在过去一周进行了几次谷歌搜索。
We are all producing data. Yes.
我们都在产生数据。是的。
It is estimated that by 2030, 10 years from now, there will be about 125 billion connected devices in the world.
据估计,到2030年,也就是10年之后,世界上将有1250亿互相连接的设备。
That's an average of about 15 devices per person.
平均下来,每个人有15个设备。
We are already producing data every day. We'll be producing exponentially more.
我们每天都在产生数据,这些数据在以指数增长。
Google, Facebook and Tencent's combined revenue in 2018 was 236 billion US dollars.
谷歌、脸书和腾讯在2018年的收入加起来有2360亿美元之多。
Now, how many of you have received payment from them for the data you generate for them? None, right?
你们中有多少人因为你为他们产生的数据而收到过报酬?没有,对吧?
Data has immense value but is centrally controlled and owned.
数据有巨大的价值,却是被集中化控制和拥有的。
You are all walking raw materials for those large data companies, but none of you are paid.
你们都是这些大型数据公司的行走的原材料,但是没有人被付过钱。
Not only that, you're not even considered as part of this equation for income.
不止如此,这些公司也从没考虑过要支付报酬给你们。
So once again, we are undoubtedly equal: we're equally poor.
所以重复一遍,我们都毋庸置疑的平等:我们平等的贫穷。
Somebody else owns everything, and we own nothing.
有些人拥有一切,而我们什么都没有。
Sounds familiar, doesn't it? So what should we do?
听起来很熟悉,不是吗?那么我们应该怎么办?
There might be some clues in how my life turned out after that difficult start.
从那艰难的开端之后,我生活的后续走向可能会提供一些线索。
Things began to look up for my family in the '80s.
上世纪80年代,我家里的情况开始好转。
The system evolved, and people began to be allowed to own a piece of what we created.
经济体系发展了,人们开始被允许拥有一部分自己生产的东西。
"People diving into the ocean," or "xia hai,"
“People diving into the ocean”,或用中文说,“下海”,
the Chinese term, described those who left state-owned enterprise jobs and started their own businesses.
描述的是那些离开国有企业工作,自己创办生意的人。
Private ownership of a business became personal ownership of cars, properties, food, clothes and things.
商业的私有制转变成了个人拥有汽车、财产、食物和衣服等等。
The economic machine started rolling, and people's lives began to improve.
经济机器开始运作,人们的生活开始得到改善。
For the first time, to get rich was glorious.
第一次,变得富有是件光彩的事情。
So in the '90s, when I went to study in Chengdu in west China,
90年代,那时我在中国西部的成都念书,
many young individuals like myself were well-positioned to take advantage of the new system.
许多像我一样的年轻人都很好的利用了这个新的体系。
After I graduated from my university, I cofounded my first business and moved to Shenzhen,
在我大学毕业之后,我合伙开办了我的第一个公司,并搬到了深圳,
the brand-new special economic zone that used to be a fishing village.
这个曾是渔村的崭新经济特区。
Twenty years later, Shenzhen has become a global innovation powerhouse.
二十年之后,深圳成为了世界的创新工场。
Private ownership was a form of liberty we didn't have before.
私有制是我们不曾拥有的一种自由形式。
It created unprecedented opportunities for our generations, motivating us to work and study incredibly hard.
这给我们这一代创造了前所未有的机遇,鼓励着我们努力工作,努力学习。
The result was that more than 850 million people rose out of poverty.
结果是8.5亿人民脱离了贫困。
According to the World Bank, China's extreme poverty rate in 1981, when I was a little kid, was 88 percent.
根据世界银行报告的数据,1981年,也就是我小时候,中国的极端贫困率是88%。
By 2015, 0.7 percent. I am a product of that success,
到了2015年,这个数字是0.7%。我是那种成功的产物,
and I am very happy to share that today, I have my own AI business,
我很高兴在今天和你们说,我有自己的AI企业,
and I lead a very worldly and dynamic life, a path that was unimaginable when I was a kid in west China.
过着世俗的、充满活力的生活,这是当年那个住在中国西部的孩子完全无法想象的一条道路。
Of course, this prosperity came with a trade-off, with equality, the environment and freedom.
当然,这种繁荣面临着对公平、环境和自由的取舍。
And obviously I'm not here to argue that China has it all figured out. We haven't.
显然,我在这里不是想说中国已经解决了所有问题。我们没有。
Nor that data is fully comparable to physical assets. It is not.
数据也不是完完全全可以和实体资产相比的。这不现实。
But my life experience allowed me to see what's hiding in plain sight.
但是我的人生经验让我可以看到隐藏在公众视野中的东西。
Currently, the public discourse is so focused on the regulatory and privacy issue when it comes to data ownership.
如今,提到数据所有权,公众的讨论主要集中在管理和隐私问题。
But I want to ask: What if we look at data ownership in completely different ways?
但我想问:如果我们从完全不同的角度看待数据所有权,那会怎样?
What if data ownership is, in fact, a personal, individual and economic issue?
如果数据所有权实际上是私人的、个体的和经济上的问题,那会怎样?
What if, in the new digital economy,
如果在新的数字经济,
we are allowed to own a piece of what we create and give people the liberty of private data ownership?
我们被允许拥有我们创造的(数据的)一部分,并给人们私有数据所有权的自由,那会怎样?
The legal concept of ownership is when you can possess, use, gift, pass on,
所有权的法律概念是,你可以拥有、使用、赠予、转让、
destroy or trade it or sell your asset at a price accepted by you.
销毁或是以你愿意接受的价格交易或出售你的资产。
What if we give that same definition to individuals' data,
如果我们用相同的定义来定义个人数据,
so individuals can use or destroy our data or we trade it at our chosen price?
这样个人可以使用或销毁我们的数据,或者可以以我们选定的价格交易数据,那会怎样?
Now, I know some of you might say, "I would never, ever trade my data for any amount of money."
我知道你们中的一些人会说,“我永远也不会把我的数据拿来卖钱。”
But that, let me remind you, is exactly what you're doing now, except you're giving your data away for free.
但是让我提醒你们,这就是你们现在正在做的事情,只是你们免费把数据拱手让人。
Plus, privacy is a very personal and nuanced issue.
另外,隐私是一个非常个人并且微妙的问题。
You might have the privilege to prioritize your privacy over money,
你也许可以将隐私置于金钱之上,
but for millions of small business owners in China who can't get bank loans easily,
但是对于中国的数百万小微企业主来说,想要拿到银行贷款困难重重,
using their data to gain rapid loan approval from AI-powered lenders can answer their more pressing needs.
利用他们的数据,从由AI技术支持的贷方获得快速贷款却可以解他们的燃眉之急。
What's private to you is different from what's private to others.
你们眼中的隐私和他人眼中的隐私是不一样的。
What's private to you now is different from what was private when you were in college. Or, at least, I hope so.
现在你们眼中的隐私和大学时代你们眼中的隐私是不一样的。至少,我希望如此。
We are always, although often subconsciously,
尽管我们没有意识到这一点,
making such trade-offs based on our diverse personal beliefs and life priorities.
但我们总是基于各种各样的个人理念和生活优先级做着这样的权衡。
That is why data ownership would be incomplete without a pricing power.
这就是为什么在没有定价权的情况下数据所有权是不完整的。
By assigning pricing power to individuals, we gain a tool to reflect our personal and nuanced preferences.
通过将定价权赋予给个人,我们获得了一种工具,来反映我们个人和有细微差别的偏好。
So, for example, you could choose to donate your data for free
举个例子,你可以选择将你的数据免费捐赠,
if a contribution to a particular medical research is very meaningful for you.
如果捐赠给某个特定的医疗机构于你而言很有意义。
Or, if we had the tools to set our behavior data at a price of, say, 100,000 US dollars,
或者,如果我们可以将我们的行为数据定价为十万美元,
I doubt any political group would be able to target or manipulate your vote.
我怀疑不会有任何的政治团体有能力去针对或操纵你的选票。
You control. You decide. Now, I know this sounds probably implausible,
你主宰。你决定。我知道这听起来可能不太现实,
but trends are already pointing to a growing and very powerful individual data ownership movement.
但是现在的趋势已经指向了一个正在发展并且非常有力的个人数据所有权的运动。
First, start-ups are already creating tools to allow us to take back some control.
首先,初创公司已经创造出工具让我们可以收回一些控制权。
A new browser called Brave empowers users with "Brave Shields" -- they literally call it that
一个名为Brave的新浏览器通过“Brave Shields”(勇敢之盾)--他们真的这么叫它,
by aggressively blocking data-grabbing ads and trackers, and avoid leaking data like other browsers.
使得用户可以屏蔽数据爬取广告和追踪,并像其他浏览器一样防止数据泄露。
In return, users can take back some bargaining and pricing power.
作为回报,用户可以夺回一些议价和定价权。
When users opt in to accept ads,
当用户选择接受广告时,
Brave rewards users with "basic attention tokens" that can redeem content behind paywalls from publishers.
Brave奖励用户“基础注意力代币”,用户可以以此换取出版商的付费内容。
And I've been using Brave for a few months.
我使用Brave有几个月了。
It has already blocked more than 200,000 ads and trackers and saved hours of my time.
它已经屏蔽了超过20万条广告和追踪,节省了我数小时的时间。
Now, I know some of you interact with your browser more than with your partners, so...
我知道你们中的一些人和浏览器的互动要高过与伴侣的互动,所以...
you should at least find one that doesn't waste your time and is not creepy.
你们应当至少找一个不那么浪费时间,也不奇怪的浏览器。
Do you think Google is indispensable? Think again.
你们觉得谷歌是必不可少的吗?再想想。
A search engine is indispensable. Google just has the monopoly -- for now.
搜索引擎是必不可少的。谷歌只是有垄断权--现在如此。
A search engine called DuckDuckGo doesn't store your personal information
一个名为DuckDuckGo的搜索引擎不会储存个人信息
or follow you around with ads or track your personal browsing history.
或是使用广告轰炸,或是追踪个人浏览历史。
Instead, it gives all users the same search results instead of based on your personal browsing records.
相反,它会给所有用户相同的搜索结果,而不是基于个人的浏览记录。
In London, a company called digi.me offers an app you can download on your smartphone
在伦敦,有家公司叫digi.me,他们提供了一个可以下载到智能手机的软件,
that helps to import and consolidate your data generated by you from your Fitbit, Spotify, social media accounts ...
这个软件可以从Fitbit、Spotify和其他社交账号导入并整合你自己产生的数据。
And you can choose where to store your data,
你可以选择在哪里储存你的数据,
and digi.me will help you to make your data work for you by providing insights
而digi.me会通过提供方案来帮助让你的数据为你工作,
that used to be exclusively accessible by large data companies.
而这些方案之前也由大的数据公司独家垄断。
In DC, a new initiative called UBDI, U-B-D-I, Universal Basic Data Income,
在华盛顿,一个新的项目UBDI,U-B-D-I,全民基本数据收入,
helps people to make money by sharing anonymous insights through their data for companies that can use them for market research.
通过共享针对用户数据的匿名见解来帮助用户赚钱,这些公司可以将其结论用于市场研究。
And whenever a company purchases a study, users get paid in cash and UBDI points to track their contribution,
当公司购买一项调研时,用户可以获得现金支付和UBDI点数以作为他们贡献的回报,
potentially as much as 1,000 US dollars per year per their estimation.
根据他们的估计,一年可以达到1000美元。
UBDI could be a very feasible path for universal basic income in the AI economy.
UBDI可以在AI经济中作为全民基本收入的一条可行性道路。
Further, individual awareness of privacy and data ownership is growing fast
更进一步,个人对隐私和数据所有权的意识正在快速觉醒,
as we all become aware of this monster we have unleashed in our pocket.
因为我们都开始意识到了我们口袋中的这个猛兽。
I'm a mother of two preteen girls, and trust me,
我是两个青春期少女的妈妈,相信我,
the single biggest source of stress and anxiety as a parent, for me, is my children's relationship with technology.
作为家长,最大的压力和焦虑来源,对我而言,就是我的孩子与科技的关系。
This is a three-page agreement my husband and I make them sign before they receive their first [mobile phone].
这是她们收到第一部(手机)前,我和我丈夫让她们签的三页长的同意书。
We want to help them to become digital citizens, but only if we can make them become smart and responsible ones.
我们希望帮助她们成为数字公民,但除非我们可以让她们成为智慧且有责任感的数字公民。
I help them to understand what kind of data should never be shared.
我帮助她们理解什么样的数据永远不能被分享。
So if you Google me, in fact -- actually, sorry -- if you DuckDuckGo me,
所以如果你们谷歌我,对不起,如果你们DuckDuckGo我,
you will find maybe a lot about me and my work, but you may find no information about my daughters.
你们会发现很多关于我和我的工作的信息,但是你们不会找到关于我女儿的信息。
When they grow up, if they want to put themselves out there, it's their choice, not mine,
当她们长大时,如果她们想要把自己的信息挂在网上,那是她们的选择,不是我的,
despite that I insist they're the most beautiful, smartest and most extraordinary kids in the world, of course.
尽管我一直强调她们是世界上最美丽、最聪明、最独一无二的孩子。
And I know many people are having similar conversations and making similar decisions,
我知道很多人都有过相似的对话,做了相似的决定,
which gives me hope that a truly smart data-rich future will be here soon.
这让我坚信一个真正的信息丰富的未来即将到来。
But I want to highlight the Clause 6 of this agreement.
但是我想要强调下这份同意书的条款6。
It says, "I will never, ever search for any information online if I would be embarrassed if seen by Grandma Dawnie."
上面写着,“我永远不会在网上分享任何如果奶奶道恩妮看到,我会感到尴尬的信息。”
Try it. It's really effective.
试试吧,这真的很有效。
Throughout history, there has always been a trade-off between liberty and equality in the pursuit of prosperity.
纵观历史,在追求繁荣时,总会有着自由和平等的取舍。
The world has constantly been going through the circle of wealth accumulation to wealth redistribution.
世界在财富积累和财富再分配之间不断循环。
As the tension between the haves and have-nots is breaking so many countries,
随着穷人和富人之间的紧张关系在许多国家内爆发,
it is in everyone's interest, including the large data companies, to prevent this new form of inequality.
防止新型的不平等是每个人的利益所在,包括大型数据公司。
Of course, individual data ownership is not the perfect nor the complete answer
当然,个人数据所有权并不是完美或是完整的答案,
to this profoundly complex question of what makes a good digital society.
对于“什么是好的数字社会”这个深奥、复杂的问题来说。
But according to McKinsey, AI will add 13 trillion US dollars of economic output in the next 10 years.
但根据麦肯锡的报告,AI会在未来十年增加13万亿美元的经济产出。
Data generated by individuals will no doubt contribute to this enormous growth.
个人产生的数据无疑会对这巨大的发展做出贡献。
Shouldn't we at least consider an economic model that empowers the people?
我们不应该至少考虑下赋权给人们的经济模型吗?
And if private ownership helped to lift more than 850 million people out of poverty,
如果私有制可以帮助8.5亿人摆脱贫困,
it is our duty and we owe it to future generations
那么我们的责任,也是我们对未来世代的责任,
to create a more inclusive AI economy that will empower the people in addition to businesses. Thank you.
就是构建一个除了赋权于商,还能赋权于人的更加包容的AI经济。谢谢。