(单词翻译:单击)
In the rather delightful book "The Little Prince,"
在《小王子》这本读起来非常令人愉快的书中,
there is a quotation, which says "It's only with the heart that one can see rightly. What is essential is invisible."
有这么一句话,“一个人只有用心去看,才能看到真实。事情的真相只用眼睛是看不见的。”
And while the author wrote these words sitting in a comfortable chair, somewhere in the United States,
当这本书的作者在美国的某个地方,坐在舒服的椅子上写出这些文字的时候,
I learned this very same lesson miles away in a filthy, dirty barrack in an extermination camp in Poland.
我在数英里外的波兰集中营恶臭肮脏的营房中,学着同样的一个教训。
It isn't the value or the size of a gift that truly matters, it is how you hold it in your heart.
礼物的价值或大小并不重要,真正重要的是你如何将其牢记在心中。
When I was six years old, my mother, my father, my sister and myself left Jew-hating Germany, and we went to Yugoslavia.
在我6岁的时候,我和我的母亲、父亲、姐姐一起离开了讨厌犹太人的德国,前往南斯拉夫。
And we were in Yugoslavia for seven happy years,
我们在那里度过了快乐的7年,
and then Germany invaded Yugoslavia and we suddenly were persecuted again, and I had to go into hiding.
随后,德国入侵南斯拉夫,突然间我们又开始遭受迫害,我不得不躲起来以求保命。
And I was hiding for roughly two years with a couple who had worked for the resistance movement.
我和一对参与反抗运动的夫妇在一起住了2年。
And I developed films, and I made enlargements.
那段时间,我做着冲洗胶卷、放大照片的工作。
One day, when I was 15 years old,
我15岁的时候,有一天,
I was arrested by the gestapo and beaten up, and, for two months, dragged through various prisons,
我被国家秘密警察(盖世太保)逮捕并殴打,在接下来的2个月,我被拖拽着流离于不同的监狱,
and eventually, I ended up in a 150-year-old fortress in Czechoslovakia,
最终,我来到了捷克斯洛伐克,被关押于一个有着150年历史、
which the Nazis had converted into a concentration camp. I was there for 10 months.
已经被纳粹改造成集中营的堡垒中。我在那里呆了10个月。
I laid railroad tracks, I exterminated vermin, I made baskets, and after 10 months,
我铺过铁轨,灭过害虫,编过篮子,在10个月后,
about 2,000 of us were loaded into cattle cars, the doors were closed, and we were shipped east.
包括我在内的2000人被赶上牛车,车门一关,我们被送往东边。
For three days, we traveled like that, and when we were unloaded,
整整3天的路程,我们都在牛车上,当我们被要求下车的时候,
we were smelling of urine and of feces, and we found ourselves in the Auschwitz extermination camp.
闻到的都是尿液粪便的气味,我们发现自己已身处奥斯威辛集中营。
A camp that, by that time, had murdered already over one million people and sent them through the chimney into the sky.
在那个时候,这一个集中营已经谋杀了不止100万人,纳粹通过烟囱把人们送上天。
We arrived, we were stripped of all of our properties, whatever we had,
我们到达后,身上所有的东西都被夺走,每个人都一丝不挂。
and were given striped uniforms, were given a tattoo on our arms,
他们统一发放条纹制服,并在我们的手臂上纹上编号,
and we also were given the message that we would be there for exactly six months.
他们还告知我们,我们将在这里呆上整整6个月。
And after that, we would leave the camp. Through the chimney.
在那之后,我们就可以离开这里,通过那个烟囱。
We were assigned to different barracks. And the barracks were filled with wooden bunks, six people on each level,
我们被分配到不同的营房。营房里摆满了木床,每一层能睡6个人,
three people sleeping in one direction and three in the other direction,
3个人面朝里睡同一个方向,另外3个人面朝外睡另一个方向,
so whichever way you slept, you always had a pair of feet in your face.
所以不论你对着哪个方向睡,总是有一双脚在你的面前。
The man next to me was an extremely nice gentleman, and he introduced himself as Mr. Herbert Levine.
睡在我边上的人是一个非常友好的绅士,他自称为赫伯特·莱文先生。
Mr. Levine was kind and polite to me.
莱文先生对我非常礼貌友善。
One day, when I came back from a work assignment, I climbed up,
一天,我完成了被分配的工作回到营房,爬上床,
I was at the top level of the three-tier bunk, and there was Mr. Levine with a deck of cards.
我睡的是三层床的最上铺,我看到莱文先生手上拿着一副牌。
And he was shuffling these cards.
他正在洗那副牌。
And I couldn't understand it, you know, having a deck of cards in Auschwitz was like finding a gorilla in your bathroom.
我无法理解,在奥斯威辛里有一副牌就好比在你的厕所里找一只大猩猩。
You know, "What is he doing there?"
“他在这里做什么?”
And then Mr. Levine turned to me and offered me the deck, and said, "Pick a card."
随后莱文先生转向我,伸手将牌递到我面前,并说:“选一张牌。”
So I picked a card, and he performed a card trick for me. He performed a miracle.
于是我选了张牌,他给我表演了一个纸牌魔术,仿佛展现了一个奇迹。
And I'd never seen a card trick before, and the man who performed it was sitting right there.
我之前从来没有看过纸牌魔术,而且表演魔术师就坐在我跟前。
And then Mr. Levine did the unthinkable.
之后莱文先生做了件让我意想不到的事。
He actually explained the trick to me. And the words got burned into my brain.
他竟然向我解释了魔术中的小把戏。这些话深深烙印在了我的脑海里。
And I remembered every single word, and from that day on, I practiced that trick every day.
我记住了其中的每一个字,从那天起,我每天都在练习那个魔术把戏。
Although I didn't have any cards. I just kept on practicing.
即使我手中没有牌,我也会继续练习。
About three weeks later, the entire camp, with the exception of a couple hundred of us, were sent to the gas chambers.
大约在3周过后,除了我和其他几百个人之外,整个集中营剩下的人都被送去了毒气室。
I was sent to another camp where I worked in the stables,
我被送到了另一个营地,在那里的马厩工作,
and then, in January 1945, when the Russians advanced, 60,000 of us were sent on a death march.
在1945年1月,当俄罗斯军队继续向外扩张,我们6万人被迫进行了一场死亡行军。
And we walked for three days, on and off, and in the middle of the winter,
我们断断续续走了有3天,而且那时正值寒冬,
and by the time we arrived at a railroad siding, out of the 60,000 people, 15,000 had died.
等我们抵达铁路岔口的时候,6万人中的1.5万人没能熬过去,丢了性命。
And the rest of us were loaded into open railroad cars,
我们剩下的这些人全被装上一辆开放式火车车厢,
and for four days, shipped all the way from Poland down to Austria.
之后的4天,从波兰一路南下至奥地利。
And we found ourselves in a death camp, in a concentration camp called Mauthausen, which again was built like a fortress.
我们发现自己又到了一个叫毛特豪森的死亡集中营,同样,这里有着宛如堡垒的建筑外观。
And at that point, the SS abandoned us, and there was no food there,
从那时起,党卫军抛弃了我们,我们没有食物维生,
and there were thousands and thousands of bodies there.
数千人就饿死在那里。
I slept for three days next to a dead man, just to get his ration of a tablespoon of moldy bread.
我在一个死去的男人边上睡了3天,就为了领取他那一勺定量的发霉面包。
And two days before the end of the war, May 5, we were liberated by American forces.
在战争结束的2天前,5月5号,我们被美军释放。
At that time, I was 17 years old, and I weighed 64 pounds. And I hitchhiked back to Yugoslavia.
那时候,我17岁,体重64磅。我搭了个便车回到南斯拉夫。
And when I came back to Yugoslavia, there was communism there, there was no family there and there were no friends there.
当我回到南斯拉夫,那里有共产主义,却没有家人,没有朋友。
I stayed there for two years, and after two years, I managed to escape to England.
我在那里呆了2年,然后设法逃到了英格兰。
And when I came to England, I couldn't speak English, I had no education, I had no skills.
到达英格兰的时候,我不会说英语,我没有受过教育,也没有任何生存技能。
I started working, and about a year after I arrived in England, I bought myself a deck of cards.
我开始找工作糊口,大概在达到英格兰的1年后,我给自己买了一副牌。
And for the very first time, I actually performed the trick that was shown to me in Auschwitz on top of a bunk bed.
有史以来第一次,我真正地表演出了那位莱文先生在奥斯维辛木床上铺展示给我的魔术把戏。
And it worked. It worked beautifully. And I showed it to some friends of mine, and they loved it.
而且我的表演很成功,很完美。我给一些朋友们展示了这个纸牌魔术,他们很喜欢。
And I went to a magic store, and I bought some magic tricks,
之后我去了个魔术用品商品,买了一些魔术道具,
and I showed them to my friends, and I bought some more magic tricks and I showed it to them.
又表演给我的朋友们看,之后我又买了更多的魔术道具表演给我的朋友们看。
And then I bought some magic books, and I bought some more magic books.
再之后,我买了一些魔术相关的书籍,越买越多。
There's a very, very thin line between a hobby and insanity.
在爱好与疯狂之间只剩一条非常模糊的界线。
Anyway, I got married, and I came to the United States,
后来我结了婚,来到了美国,
and one of the first jobs that I had demanded from me to speak to small groups of people.
而我在这儿的第一份工作是对着一小群人做演讲。
And I managed it, I was very good at it. And then, 25 years ago, I retired.
我做到了,我很擅长演讲。25年后,我退休了。
And I started speaking in schools. And the only reason why I could speak in schools
我开始在学校进行演讲。我能在学校演讲的唯一原因,
is because a very friendly man showed a rather scared kid a card trick in a concentration camp.
是因为一位非常友好的绅士曾经在集中营给一个内心充满恐惧的孩子表演了一个纸牌魔术。
This man who showed it to me, Mr. Levine, had been a professional magician.
这位给我表演魔术的男人,莱文先生,一直是一个专业魔术师。
He worked in Germany, and when he came to Auschwitz, the SS knew who he was,
他在德国工作,当他去奥斯维辛的时候,党卫军知道他的身份,
so they gave him some cards, they gave him a piece of string, they gave him some dice, and he performed for them.
所以他们给他了一些牌,一根绳子,还有一些骰子,让他给他们表演节目。
And then he also taught some of them. He survived the war, but his wife and his son died.
他也给别人教了其中的一些魔术。他在战争中幸存,但他的妻儿都没能幸免于难。
He came to the United States and performed in various venues, but I never met him again.
他来到美国,在各种活动中表演魔术,但我从未再遇见过他。
But the trick that he showed me stayed with me and enabled me to go around schools
然而他展示给我的魔术却深深扎根在我的心中,也让我能够去各个学校演讲,
and try to make this world just a little bit better.
努力让这个世界变得更好一点。
So if you ever know somebody who needs help, if you know somebody who is scared, be kind to them.
所以如果你知道某个人需要帮助,如果你知道某个人感到害怕,请善待他们。
Give them advice, give them a hug, teach them a card trick.
给他们些建议,一个拥抱,教他们如何玩纸牌魔术。
Whatever you are going to do, it's going to be hope for them.
不论你做什么,对他们来讲都是一线希望。
And if you do it at the right time,
而且你如果在正确的时间做这件事,
it will enter their heart, and it will be with them wherever they go, forever. Thank you.
你的善意就会融入他们的内心,永远伴随着他们,永远。谢谢。