(单词翻译:单击)
This time on Jonathan Bird's Blue World, a new Blue World cameraman!
在今天的乔纳森·伯德的《蓝色世界》里,我们将有一名新的摄影师!
Hi, I'm Jonathan Bird and welcome to my world!
嗨,我是乔纳森·伯德,欢迎来到我的世界!
Ever since I was a kid, I have read in books and magazines that Tiger sharks will eat anything.
从小我就在书和杂志上,读到过虎鲨会吃任何东西
It's been referred to as the "ocean's garbage can" and in the movie Jaws, a Tiger shark's stomach was depicted as containing a tin can and a license plate.
它被称为“海洋垃圾桶”,在电影《大白鲨》中,虎鲨的胃被描绘成里面有一个锡罐和一个车牌
This license plate reference is seen virtually everywhere, in books and web pages.
这种提及车牌的说法可以在书籍和网页上看到,几乎随处可见
Even Wikipedia says: Because of its aggressive and indiscriminate feeding style, it often mistakenly eats inedible objects, such as automobile license plates, oil cans, tires, and baseballs.
甚至维基百科也说:由于它的攻击性和随意性觅食,它经常误食不能食用的物品,如汽车牌照、油罐、轮胎和棒球
Honestly, I have to wonder how much of this is true, and I'm going to try to find out.
老实说,我想知道有多少说法是真的,我会努力找出答案的
So, I have mounted an expedition to a famous place in the Bahamas called Tiger Beach,
所以,我远征到巴哈马的一个叫老虎滩的很有名的地方,
where Tiger sharks have been fed by divers for many years, so the sharks are used to interacting with divers.
潜水员多年喂养那儿的虎鲨,所以鲨鱼习惯了和潜水员互动
Expert Shark Handlers Rich D'Argento and Connor Cassidy are going to help me with a little experiment.
专业的鲨鱼训练员里奇·达尔金托和康纳·卡西迪将帮我做个小实验
Once the chum is in the water and the sharks have shown up, it's time to go diving and find some Tiger sharks.
一把鱼饵放到水里,鲨鱼就出现了,该去潜水了,找些虎鲨
Connor brings down a big crate of bait, to get a large Tiger shark to come close.
康纳放下一大箱鱼饵,让一只大虎鲨靠近
Julia is with me as camerawoman.
我和朱莉娅一起做摄影师
I have left my big camera behind and instead brought a tiny GoPro on a pole.
我没拿大个头的摄像机,而是把一个小的GoPro放在一根杆子上
The GoPro is fun for underwater selfies, but that's not why I brought it.
使用GoPro在水下自拍很有趣,但这不是我拿它的原因
I want to see if a hungry Tiger shark will try to eat a camera if I offer it.
我想看看如果我带着摄像机,饥饿的虎鲨是否会试着吃掉它
Worst case, I'm going to lose my GoPro.
最坏的情况是,我会失去这台GoPro
Best case, I might get a great shot inside a Tiger shark's mouth!
最好的情况是,我可能会在虎鲨的嘴里拍出一段好片子!
A monster Tiger known to the divemasters as "Roxy" comes on the scene.
一只被潜水员们称为“罗克西”的虎鲨出现在现场
She is very gentle as she munches down fish heads and swims around the divers.
它非常温柔,一边大声地嚼着鱼头,一边在潜水员周围游着
I offer her my camera as a snack.
我把摄像机给它当零食
In spite of everything I have read about Tiger sharks eating anything they find, this shark has no interest in eating a GoPro.
尽管我读过很多关于虎鲨会把任何能找到的东西吃掉的报道,但这条鲨鱼对吃GoPro并没兴趣
In fact the only way I can get her to bite it is by putting it in her mouth when she is gulping down a piece of fish.
事实上,我唯一能让它咬的方法,就是当它吞下一条鱼时把摄像机放进它嘴里
And even then, she lets it go.
即便如此,它还是不让放
Every single time I try….she spits it out.
每次我尝试着做……它都会吐出来
So much for Tiger sharks eating anything that fits in their mouth.
虎鲨吃任何适合它们嘴部的东西,都会吃好多
I'm not sure I believe all that hype about Tiger sharks being the "garbage cans of the ocean."
我不确定我是否相信那些关于虎鲨是“海洋垃圾桶”的炒作
I actually think Tiger sharks are a lot smarter than they get credit for.
我真的认为虎鲨比它们所获得的声望要聪明得多
And I'm going to prove it with Rich and Connor's help.
我要在里奇和康纳的帮助下证明这一点
One of the goals of this expedition is to audition a potential new Blue World cameraman.
这次探险的目标之一,是为《蓝色世界》试用一名新的摄影师
Rich and Connor have invented a great new gadget which will open up new creative possibilities.
里奇和康纳发明出一种很棒的新装置,这将为创造性开辟出新的可能
So, Rich, what is this thing?
里奇,这是什么?
Well, this is actually our shark cam that clips on the dorsal fin of the Tiger Shark!
这实际上是我们的鲨鱼凸轮,夹在虎鲨的背鳍上!
We clip it on the shark like so, and you get different angles of the shark,
我们就这样把它夹在鲨鱼身上,能捕捉到鲨鱼的不同角度,
so you get all the head motion and all the cool swimming around it does, going around the reef, coming back to us.
所有的头部运动和炫酷的泳姿,环绕着礁石,回到我们身边
No harm to the shark, as you can see, it clips on very soft and can fall off if need be.
如你所见,它不会对鲨鱼造成伤害,它夹在非常柔软的地方,如果需要的话会掉下来
If it does fall, it falls on the ground, also keeps the right angle.
如果真的掉下来了,会掉在地上,也保持着正确的角度
So this is a highly scientifically-developed product?
所以说,这是一款高科技产品?
Absolutely, made with zip ties.
没错,它是用拉链做成的
Is there a trick to putting it on the shark?
把它放在鲨鱼身上时,有什么诀窍吗?
There is, yeah, I mean the shark's got to be coming in at the right spot at the right time.
是的,鲨鱼必须在正确的时间,出现在正确的地点
They can shake it off if they want to, so you got to keep an eye on it, because we don't want to lose our camera!
如果它们想的话,可以把它抖掉,所以要留意,因为我们不想把摄像机丢了!
Right.
没错
Well, let's go try it out!!
我们试一下吧!
To deploy the Shark-cam, first we need a willing shark.
要给鲨鱼装上摄像机,首先需要一只想带摄像机的鲨鱼
Our team hits the water again.
我们的小队又下水了
We gather around as Rich and Connor feed the big Tiger sharks, looking for a cooperative animal.
里奇和康纳喂大虎鲨时,我们聚在一起寻找可以协作的动物