想解决全球性的问题 请关注发展中国家
日期:2020-04-24 16:55

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

I am an ideas activist. That means I fight for ideas I believe in
我是一名创意积极分子。意思就是我为了自己相信的创意而战,
to have their place in the sun, regardless of which side of the equator they were born. As well I should.
无论这些创意诞生在赤道的哪一边,都让它们能在阳光下有一席之地。我也应该这么做。
I myself am from that part of the world often euphemistically referred to as either "the Global South" or "the developing world."
我自己就来自那个经常被委婉地称作“南半球“或者”发展中世界“的那部分世界。
But let's be blunt about it: when we say those words, what we really mean is the poor world
但是咱们说得直白点:当我们说那些词的时候,我们真正想说的是贫穷世界,
those corners of the world with ready-made containers for the hand-me-down ideas of other places and other people.
那个用着别人想出来的、现成创意的世界。
But I'm here to depart a little bit from the script and to try and convince you
但是我来这是想另辟蹊径,尝试着去说服你们相信,
that these places are actually alive and bubbling with ideas.
这些地方其实很有活力、充满着创意。
My real issue is: Where do I even start?
我真正的难题是:该从哪开始说起?
So maybe Egypt, Alexandria, where we meet Rizwan.
也许先从埃及的亚历山大港,我们遇见里兹万的地方说起吧。
When he walks outside his souk, walks into a pharmacy for heart medicine that can prevent the blood in his arteries from clotting,
当他走出市场,进了一家药店去买能够防止动脉血栓的心脏病药时,
he confronts the fact that, despite a growing epidemic that currently accounts for 82 percent of all deaths in Egypt,
他面临着这样一个事实,就是即使埃及82%的死亡都由一个正在扩散的流行病造成,
it is the medicines that can address these conditions that counterfeiters, ever the evil geniuses they are, have decided to target.
但是造假者们,这些邪恶的天才们,偏偏选中了能治疗这些病的药。
Counterfeiters making knockoff medicines.
造假者们正在造假药。
Luckily for Rizwan, my team and I, working in partnership with the largest pharmaceutical company in Africa,
里兹万很幸运,因为我和我的团队和非洲最大的制药公司联合,
have placed unique codes -- think of them like one-time passwords -- on each pack of the best-selling heart medicine in Egypt.
在埃及每一包卖得最好的心脏药上面加上了独特的编码,可以把这些编码想象成一次性密码。
So when Rizwan buys heart medicine, he can key in these one-time passwords to a toll-free short code
所以当里兹万买心脏药的时候,他可以把这些一次性密码发送至一个免费的短号码,
that we've set up on all the telecom companies in Egypt for free.
这个短号码我们在埃及的所有电信公司都免费设置了。
He gets a message -- call it the message of life
然后他会收到一条短信--叫它生命的短信吧,
which reassures him that this medicine is not one of the 12 percent of all medicines in Egypt that are counterfeits.
确保他买的药不是埃及所有药中那12%的假药。
From the gorgeous banks of the Nile, we glide into the beautiful Rift Valley of Kenya.
从尼罗河动人的岸边,我们来到肯尼亚美丽的裂谷。
In Narok Town, we meet Ole Lenku, salt-of-the-earth fellow.
在纳罗克镇,我们遇到了欧雷·蓝库,他属于社会中坚力量那一类。
When he walks into an agrodealer's shop, all he wants is certified and proper cabbage seeds that,
当他走进一个农产品商店的时候,他想要的,不过是能买到认证了的、合适的卷心菜种子,
if he were to plant them, will yield a harvest rich enough that he can pay for the school fees of his children.
让他能种下去之后有个好收成,然后他可以给孩子交学费。
That's all he wants. Unfortunately, by the reckoning of most international organizations,
他只想要这么多。不幸的是,大多数国际组织计算出,
40 percent of all the seeds sold in Eastern and Southern Africa are of questionable quality, sometimes outrightly fake.
在东非和南非售卖的所有种子中,40%的种子有质量问题,甚至有一些完全就是假货。
Luckily for Ole, once again, our team has been at work,
欧雷很幸运,我们的团队又一次行动起来了,
and, working with the leading agriculture regulator in Kenya,
我们和肯尼亚领头的农业监管组织合作,
we've digitized the entire certification process for seeds in that country, every seed -- millet, sorghum, maize
将这个国家的每一类种子--小米、高粱、玉米--的认证过程彻底数字化了,
such that when Ole Lenku keys in a code on a packet of millet,
这样当欧雷·蓝库发送一袋小米种子上的编码时,
he's able to retrieve a digital certificate that assures him that the seed is properly certified.
他能收到一个数字证书,证实种子是经过有效认证的。
From Kenya, we head to Noida in India,
从肯尼亚,我们来到了印度的诺伊达,
where the irrepressible Ambika is holding on very fast to her dream of becoming an elite athlete,
在那里,不甘屈服的安比卡正坚守着她成为一名精英运动员的梦想,
safe in the knowledge that because of our ingredients rating technology,
她知道,因为我们的原料评级技术,
she's not going to ingest something accidentally, which will mess up her doping tests and kick her out of the sports she loves.
她不会意外吃下什么东西,影响到她的兴奋剂检查结果,从而把她踢出她热爱的运动。
Finally, we alight in Ghana, my own home country, where another problem needs addressing
最后,我们回到了我的祖国,加纳,在那里,另一个问题有待解决,
the problem of under-vaccination or poor-quality vaccination.
缺乏疫苗接种,或疫苗质量低下。
You see, when you put some vaccines into the bloodstream of an infant,
要知道,当你把疫苗注射到一个婴儿的血液中时,
you are giving them a lifetime insurance against dangerous diseases that can cripple them or kill them.
你是在给他们提供一个对抗致残或致命的危险疾病的保险。
Sometimes, this is for a lifetime.
有时候,这个保险终身有效。
The problem is that vaccines are delicate organisms really,
而问题是,疫苗是很脆弱,易变质的有机物,
and they need to be stored between two degrees and eight degrees.
它们需要被贮存在2到8摄氏度之间。
And if you don't do that, they lose their potency, and they no longer confer the immunity the child deserves.
如果没有这么做,它们会失去效力,再也不能给予孩子们他们应得的免疫力。
Working with computer vision scientists,
我们和计算机视觉科学家合作,
we've converted simple markers on the vials of vaccines into what you might regard as crude thermometers.
将疫苗药品上的简单标志转换成你可以看做是简易温度计的东西。

想解决全球性的问题 请关注发展中国家

So then, these patterns change slowly over time in response to temperature
然后,温度计上的样式会随着气温而慢慢改变,
until they leave a distinct pattern on the surface of the vaccine,
直到它们在疫苗的表层上留下一个明显的标记,
such that a nurse, with a scan of the phone, can detect if the vaccine was stored properly in the right temperature
这样当一个护士拿手机一扫描,就可以检测疫苗是否被贮存在适宜的温度下,
and therefore is still good for use before administering this to the child -- literally securing the next generation.
并在将疫苗注射到孩子的身体里前,检测出这个疫苗是否能正常使用--真正地保护了下一代。
These are some of the solutions at work saving lives, redeeming societies, in these parts of the world.
这些是来自这一部分世界的、正在拯救着生命和社会的解决方法。
But I would remind you that there are powerful ideas behind them, and I'll recap a few.
但是我要提醒各位的是,这些解决方法背后是有力的观点在支撑着,我来简单地重述一下。
One, that social trust is not the same as interpersonal trust.
第一,社会信任和人与人之间的信任不同。
Two, that the division between consumption and regulation in an increasingly interdependent world is no longer viable.
第二,在一个互利共生正日益加强的世界里,消费和监管之间的分离不再可行。
And three, that decentralized autonomy, regardless of what our blockchain enthusiasts in the West -- whom I respect a lot -- say,
第三,不论西方的区块链狂热者--我非常尊重他们--说什么,
are not as important as reinforcing social accountability feedback loops.
分权自治都没有加强社会责任反馈回路那么重要。
These are some of the ideas.
这些就是其中的一些观点。
Now, every time I go somewhere and I give this speech and I make these comments and I provide these examples,
现在,每当我去到某处做这个演讲,给出这些评论,抛出这些例子,
people say, "If these ideas are so damn brilliant, why aren't they everywhere? I've never heard of them."
总有人说,“如果这些创意这么牛,为什么没在全世界施行呢?我从来没听说过这些创意。”
I want to assure you, the reason why you have not heard of these ideas is exactly the point I made in the beginning.
我想跟各位保证,你们没听过这些创意的原因正是我演讲开头就说明了的。
And that is that there are parts of the world whose good ideas simply don't scale because of the latitude on which they were born.
这个世界有些地区的好创意没法大规模被实施,仅仅是因为它们诞生的纬度不对。
I call that "mental latitude imperialism." That really is the reason.
我称其为“精神纬度帝国主义”。真的是这个原因。
But you may counter and say, "Well, maybe it's an important problem,
但是可能你会反对说,“也许这个问题挺重要的,
but it's sort of an obscure problem in parts of the world.
但它只是世界部分地区的不太显眼的问题。
Why do you want to globalize such problems? I mean, they are better local."
为什么你要把它全球化呢?它们最好只限制在当地。”
What if, in response, I told you that actually, underlying each of these problems that I've described
如果我回答你,事实上,我所描述的每个问题,
is a fundamental issue of the breakdown of trust in markets and institutions,
其根源都是市场和机构的信任崩溃,
and that there's nothing more global, more universal, closer to you and I than the problem of trust.
而没有任何问题能比信任问题更具全球性、更具普遍性、更贴近你我了。
For example, a quarter of all the seafood marketed in the US is falsely labeled.
比如,美国市场上的海鲜有四分之一被贴错了标签。
So when you buy a tuna or salmon sandwich in Manhattan,
所以当你在曼哈顿买了一个金枪鱼或三文鱼三明治的时候,
you are eating something that could be banned for being toxic in Japan. Literally.
你可能正吃着日本禁食的有毒食物。真的。
Most of you have heard of a time when horsemeat was masquerading as beef in burger patties in Europe? You have.
你们大多数人都听说过有一阵子,马肉在欧洲被假装成牛肉放在汉堡的肉饼里吧?你们听说过。
What you don't know is that a good chunk of these fake meat patties were also contaminated with cadmium, which can damage your kidneys.
你们不知道的是,这些假肉饼很大一部分都被镉污染了,而镉能损害你的肾脏。
This was Europe. Many of you are aware of plane crashes and you worry about plane crashes,
这是在欧洲。你们很多人都知道飞机事故,也担心飞机失事,
because every now and then, one of them intrudes into your consciousness.
因为不时地,有一些飞机失事的新闻会触动你们的神经。
But I bet you don't know that a single investigation
但我打赌你们不知道,曾经一次调查
uncovered one million counterfeit incidents in the aeronautical supply chain in the US.
就揭发了美国航空供应链里的一百万个造假事件。
So this is a global problem, full stop. It's a global problem.
所以,这是一个全球性的问题,不接受反驳。这是个全世界的问题。
The only reason we are not addressing it with the urgency it deserves
我们没有抓紧着手解决它的唯一原因,
is that the best solutions, the most advanced solutions, the most progressive solutions,
就是那些最好的解决办法、最先进的办法和最进步的办法,
are, unfortunately, in parts of the world where solutions don't scale.
不幸地存在于这些办法无法大规模实施的地区。
And that is why it is not surprising that
也正因如此,并不令人惊讶的是
attempts to create this same verification models for pharmaceuticals are now a decade behind in the USA and Europe,
美国和欧洲的药物验证模式要落后十年,
while it's already available in Nigeria.
而这样一种模式在尼日利亚都已经成型了。
A decade, and costing a hundred times more.
落后十年,而且多花一百倍的钱不止。
And that is why, when you walk into a Walgreens in New York,
所以,当你走进一家纽约的全国连锁药店,
you cannot check the source of your medicine, but you can in Maiduguri in Northern Nigeria.
你是查不到药物的来源的,但在北尼日利亚的梅杜古里,你查得到。
That is the reality. That is the reality.
这是事实。这是事实。
So we go back to the issue of ideas.
我们回到创意的问题上来。
Remember, solutions are merely packaged ideas, so it is the ideas that are most important.
记住,办法只是被包装的创意,所以创意才是最重要的。
In a world where we marginalize the ideas of the Global South,
在一个我们把南半球的创意边缘化的世界里,
we cannot create globally inclusive problem-solving models.
我们创造不出全球通用的问题解决模型。
Now, you might say, "Well, that's bad, but in such a world where we have so many other problems, do we need another cause?"
这时候,你可能会说,“那挺糟的,但是在这样一个还有着其它许多问题的世界里,我们需要另一个事业吗?”
I say yes, we need another cause.
我会说是的,我们需要。
Actually, that cause will surprise you: the cause of intellectual justice.
事实上,这个事业会让你惊讶:智力公正的事业。
You say, "What? Intellectual justice? In a world of human rights abuses?"
你说,“什么?智力公正?在一个人权遭到迫害的世界?”
And I explain this way: all the solutions to the other problems that affect us and confront us need solutions.
我会这么解释:我们面临的一切问题都需要解决办法。
So you need the best ideas to address them.
所以,你需要最好的创意去解决它们。
And that is why today I ask you, can we all give it one time for intellectual justice?
因此,我今天在这里请求各位,能否给智力公正一次机会?

分享到