(单词翻译:单击)
This is the guy.
就是这个家伙 。
First the sea turtles are transported back to the Mass Audubon Society Wellfleet office.
海龟先被运回马萨诸塞州奥杜邦协会的船队办公室 。
Biologist Rebecca Shoer and some volunteers are doing triage.
生物学家丽贝卡?肖尔和一些志愿者正在进行分类 。
So the different types of measurements that Colin is doing, the first one is a straight measurement with a caliper—that gives you an idea of the straight length of a turtle's shell, its width, things like that.
科林正在做不同类型的测量,第一项是用卡尺直接测量龟壳的长度、宽度,诸如此类 。
Then we do a curved measurement with that soft tape and that gives us an idea of the shape of the turtle's shell.
然后我们用那软胶带做了一个弯曲的测量,这给了我们一个龟壳形状的概念 。
And then we're doing the weight, which is 2.4—and that's in kilograms.
然后计算重量,是2.4,单位是千克 。
The last thing we do before we take photos is that we make any notes of any medical issues with this turtle.
在拍照之前,我们做的最后一件事是记录下这只海龟的任何医疗问题 。
And you can see on this one, it's got—it's bleeding from this eye here.
你可以看这只,这只眼睛在流血 。
Don't know if that was a bird that pecked it or something like that.
不知道是不是鸟啄到它,或发生了其他什么事情 。
So we'll make a note of that for the aquarium, but this guy's alive and not looking great, but this is actually not a turtle in terrible shape.
所以我们要为水族馆做下记录,但这家伙还活着,看起来不太好,但实际上这只海龟的状态并不糟糕 。
Soon the turtles are packed up for a 90 minute ride in their banana boxes up to the New England Aquarium's Animal Care Center in Quincy, just south of Boston.
很快,志愿者就把海龟们打理好,装在香蕉箱里,经历90分钟的路程,到达波士顿南部昆西新英格兰水族馆动物护理中心 。
In this nondescript warehouse, with a staff of five and a dozen volunteers, hundreds of sea turtles are being rehabilitated.
在这个不起眼的仓库里,有五六名志愿者和数百只正在康复的海龟 。
Hey!
嘿!
Hi Katie!
嗨,凯蒂!
How are you?
你好吗?
I'm doing well, how are you?
我很好,你呢?
Great!
太好了!
Thanks for having me down!
谢谢你邀请我过来!
Thanks for coming over!
谢谢你的到来!
I arrive and meet Katie Pugliares, a senior biologist at the New England Aquarium.
我来到这里,见到了新英格兰水族馆的高级生物学家凯蒂?普格利亚斯 。
She takes me on a tour of the facility and I get to meet a bunch of sea turtles.
她带我参观了这座水族馆,我见到了一群海龟 。
The rescued turtles are divided into different tanks based on size, species and even temperature.
获救的海龟根据大小、种类和体温被放入不同的水箱 。
The turtles can't be warmed right up from being hypothermic.
海龟体温过低时,无法马上暖和起来 。
That could actually make them even more sick.
这实际上会让它们的状况变得更糟糕 。
They have to be warmed up very slowly.
它们必须慢慢地回暖 。
As they warm up, they get more active and lively.
当它们体温暖和时,就会变得更活泼 。
I wonder if they know how lucky they are to be alive?
我想知道它们是否知道活着有多幸运?
Once they are back up to temperature, they're hungry.
一旦体温恢复后,它们就感到饿了 。
And sometimes feisty!
有时它们还精力充沛的!
We systematically go through, we monitor their weight, make sure they have healthy weight gain.
我们系统地检查,监测它们的体重,确保它们的体重增加是健康的 。
If any turtles start losing weight, it's a sign that we need to look a little more closely.
如果有的海龟体重下降了,这表明我们需要更仔细地对它们进行观察 。
We look for any ulcerations in their eyes, obstructions in their nose, we look in their mouths as well.
我们在它们的眼睛里寻找溃疡,在鼻子里寻找各种阻塞,也查找嘴部 。
And then we check their flippers.
然后我们检查它们的脚蹼 。
Sometimes infections will progress into their joints and that's not really a good thing.
有时感染会发展到关节里,这可不是一件好事 。
For turtles that have prolonged swelling of their joints and even after antibiotic treatment, they are not going away, we do laser therapy.
对于关节肿胀时间过长的海龟,甚至在抗生素治疗后,肿胀也不会消失,我们会进行激光治疗 。
And it takes care of those unsightly wrinkles too!
它也能处理那些难看的皱纹!
Katie takes me into one of the clinics where a new patient is being checked out—a small Kemp's Ridley.
凯蒂带我去了一家诊所,那的人正在为一个新病人做检查——一只肯普的小雷德利海龟 。
We're doing a tracheal wash so we can get some of the debris from the upper respiratory, and we'll send it out for culture and identify the bacteria.
我们正在做一次气管清洗,这样我们就能从上呼吸道获取一些碎屑,然后我们会把这些碎屑送去培养,并对细菌进行鉴定 。
And then because he does have different sedation drugs, we'll monitor him for a little while and make sure his heart rate gets back up to where it should be before we introduce him back into the pool.
因为它确实接受了不同的镇静剂,我们会对它进行一段时间的监测,确保在我们把它放回水箱之前,它的心率恢复到应有的水平 。
And then we'll watch him when he gets back into the pool and make sure he responds really well.
随后,我们会看着他回到水箱,确保它反应良好 。
As the stranding season goes on, the rehab pools get full.
随着搁浅季节的延续,康复池会装满海龟 。
The sea turtles have to be numbered to keep track of them all.
必须对海龟进行编号,以便记录所有的踪迹 。
There are hundreds of them!
这有几百只海龟!
Soon, there are so many that crowding can be a problem.
很快,就会有很多只,拥挤将成为一个问题 。
So the healthiest ones are ready to go back to the wild.
所以,那些最健康的海龟已经准备好回到野外了 。
Unfortunately, it's still winter in Boston, so a small group of lucky turtles get their own private flight (with a volunteer pilot) down to Orlando, Florida.
不幸的是,波士顿现在依然是冬天,所以一小群幸运的海龟有了自己的私人飞机(拥有一名志愿飞行员)飞往佛罗里达州的奥兰多 。
Here, Sea World will take over.
在这里,海洋世界将接管一切 。
The turtles get a check up, then a few days to rest and recover from their flight.
海龟们做了检查,然后休息几天,从飞行中恢复过来 。
Finally, it's off to a beautiful Florida beach.
最后,它们前往美丽的佛罗里达海滩 。
The turtles are released into nice warm water, and given a second chance at life.
海龟们被释放到温暖的水中,获得了第二次生命的机会 。
Saving cold-stunned sea turtles takes incredible time, money and effort.
拯救受寒受惊的海龟要花费的时间、金钱和努力,令人难以置信 。
It would be staggering to add up the cost involved to save each one of these marine reptiles.
如果把拯救每一种海洋爬行动物所需的费用加起来,那将是惊人的 。
But when I see this effort, I have renewed faith in humanity.
但当我看到这一努力时,我重新对人类充满信心 。
People do care about wildlife, and in the case of highly endangered animals like the Kemp's Ridley sea turtle, every rescue counts.
人们确实关心野生动物,对于像坎普的雷德利海龟这样高度濒危的动物来说,每一次救援都非常重要 。