(单词翻译:单击)
He threw the letter into her lap.
他把信扔到她膝头。
She glanced over it, and handed it to Mary.
她眼睛粗略地扫了一下,把它交给了玛丽。
Mary perused it in silence, and returned it to her brother.
玛丽默默地细读着,后来又把信还给了她哥哥。
All three looked at each other, and all three smiled -- a dreary, pensive smile enough.
三人彼此你看我,我看你,都笑了起来——那是一种凄凉、忧郁的笑容。
"Amen! We can yet live," said Diana at last.
“阿门!我们还能活着,”黛安娜终于说。
"At any rate, it makes us no worse off than we were before," remarked Mary.
“不管怎么说,这并没有弄得我们比以前更糟,”玛丽说。
"Only it forces rather strongly on the mind the picture of what might have been," said Mr. Rivers,
“只不过它强行使人想起本来可能会出现的景象,”里弗斯先生说,
"and contrasts it somewhat too vividly with what is."
“而同实际的景象形成有些过份鲜明的对照。”
He folded the letter, locked it in his desk, and again went out.
他折好信,锁进抽屉,又走了出去。
For some minutes no one spoke. Diana then turned to me.
几分钟内没有人开腔。黛安娜转向我。
"Jane, you will wonder at us and our mysteries," she said,
“简,你会对我们和我们的秘密感到奇怪,”她说,
"and think us hard-hearted beings not to be more moved at the death of so near a relation as an uncle;
“而且会认为我们心肠太狠,居然象舅舅这样一位近亲去世了却并不那么动情。
but we have never seen him or known him.
但是我们从来没有见过他,也不知道他。
He was my mother's brother.
他是我们母亲的兄弟。
My father and he quarrelled long ago.
很久以前我父亲和他曾有过争吵。
It was by his advice that my father risked most of his property in the speculation that ruined him.
听从他的建议,我们父亲把大部分资产冒险投入一桩后来毁了他的买卖。
Mutual recrimination passed between them: they parted in anger, and were never reconciled.
彼此都责备对方,他们怒气冲冲地分别了,从此没有和好。
My uncle engaged afterwards in more prosperous undertakings:
我舅舅后来又投资了几家使他财运亨通的企业。
it appears he realised a fortune of twenty thousand pounds.
他似乎积攒了二万英镑的财产。
He was never married, and had no near kindred but ourselves and one other person, not more closely related than we.
他—直单身,除了我们也没有近亲,另外有一个关系比我们要离得远些。