(单词翻译:单击)
I stopped at it. What business had I to approach the white door or touch the glittering knocker?
我在花园旁边停了下来。我有什么理由走近白色的门,去敲响闪光的门环呢?
In what way could it possibly be the interest of the inhabitants of that dwelling to serve me?
房主人又怎么会有兴趣来照应我呢?
Yet I drew near and knocked.
但我还是走近去敲了门。
A mild-looking, cleanly-attired young woman opened the door.
一位和颜悦色穿着干净的年轻女子开了门。
In such a voice as might be expected from a hopeless heart and fainting frame -- a voice wretchedly low and faltering
我用一个内心绝望,身怀虚弱的人那种可怜低沉、吞吞吐吐的音调,
I asked if a servant was wanted here?
问她是不是要一个佣人?
"No," said she; "we do not keep a servant."
“不要,”她说,“我们不雇佣人。”
"Can you tell me where I could get employment of any kind?" I continued.
“你能不能告诉我,哪儿能找到工作吗?”我继续问。
"I am a stranger, without acquaintance in this place. I want some work: no matter what."
“这个地方我很陌生,没有熟人,想找个工作,什么样的都行。”
But it was not her business to think for me, or to seek a place for me:
但为我想一个,或者找一个工作不是她的事儿,
besides, in her eyes, how doubtful must have appeared my character, position, tale.
更何况在她看来,我的为人、我的状况和我说的原委一定显得很可疑。
She shook her head, she "was sorry she could give me no information,"
她摇了摇头,“很遗憾我没法给你提供消息,”
and the white door closed, quite gently and civilly: but it shut me out.
白色的门尽管轻轻地、很有礼貌地合上了,但毕竟把我关出了门外。
If she had held it open a little longer, I believe I should have begged a piece of bread; for I was now brought low.
要是她让门再开一会儿,我相信准会向她讨点面包,因为现在我已落到十分下贱的地步了。