(单词翻译:单击)
Welcome to Powis Castle and Garden.
欢迎来到波伊斯城堡花园 。
Once home to a Welsh prince, now home to the biggest hedges in the UK.
这里曾经是一位威尔士王子的家,现在则是英国最大的绿篱的家 。
They're around 400 years old, and it's this guys job to cut them.
这些绿篱有将近400年的历史了,而这个人的工作便是打理这些绿篱 。
My name's Dan Bull ,and I'm the gardener here at Powis Castle and Garden.
我叫丹·布尔,是波伊斯城堡花园的园丁 。
The larch hedges were planted in the 18th century,
这些落叶松是18世纪种的,
and the fashion changed in the Victorian era, and that's the unique shape we have today.
维多利亚时代的时候给它们改过造型,于是便有了今天我们看到的这些独特的形状 。
We have 14 larch stumps on the terraces, and the big hedge, that's approximately 8,000 square meters of hedging.
露台上14株落叶松,还有高高的绿篱,差不多得有8000平米 。
The box hedges and the formal hedging is about 7,000 square meters.
迷宫绿篱和整形绿篱大约有7000平米 。
So in total, we have 15,000 square meters of hedges to cut.
所以,一共有15000平米的绿篱要打理 。
And one being 55 feet tall.
有一片还有55英尺(约17米)高 。
For anyone who doesn't like heights, might be best you look away now.
不喜欢高度的朋友,现在可以闭上眼睛了 。
One of the highlights for me is when we get the cherry pickers in,
对我来说,最让人激动的就是坐着升降机,
and spending the time floating around the sky looking at the wildlife and cutting the hedges.
到上面去修剪绿篱的时候,城堡的景色尽收眼底 。
Fortunately, I quite like heights so it's lovely being up there.
幸运的是,我还挺喜欢到高的地方去的,所以,到上面去修剪会感觉很爽 。
Back in the day it took 10 men four months to trim all the hedges, tying ladders together and using hand shears.
曾经,波伊斯城堡花园的绿篱需要10个人修剪整整4个月才能完工,那时的工具也只有绑在一起的梯子和手动剪刀 。
Nowadays, Dan's able to complete the mammoth task in just eight weeks.
如今,丹一个人八周便能完成这项宏大的工程 。
With mechanization, we've been able to use electric and petrol hedge cutters, long-reach hedge cutters.
机械化以后,我们已经能用电动或汽油的绿篱修剪机了,还有长臂的绿篱修剪机 。
It's a lot better than trying to do it with a scythe.
比用大镰刀割真的方便太多了 。
Along with the hedges, Dan is among the seven gardeners who work throughout the year, come rain or shine, to manage the ever evolving grounds.
除了要打理这些绿篱,丹还是城堡花园的七个园丁之一,他们负责管理城堡不断变化的庭园,一年四季,风雨无阻 。
I do a bit of everything.
我基本上什么都会做点儿 。
Rather than being just stuck in one part of the garden.
而不是局限在花园的某一个角落 。
I've been here for 12 years.
我在这儿干了12年了 。
I love coming to work.
我很喜欢在这儿上班 。
I'm quite lucky in my role.
能拥有这份工作,我觉得我很幸运 。
I get here early most mornings and take my dog round the garden, so it's lovely.
大多数早晨我都会早早地过来,带着我的狗在花园里转一转,感觉特别美妙 。
I'll be here at seven o'clock in the morning, the mists rising,
我早上7点到这儿,看着薄雾慢慢升起,
and you're just looking over at the castle and the garden, and feel quite privileged to be working here.
俯瞰着整个城堡和花园,你会觉得,能在这儿工作是非常荣幸的一件事 。