女性警察如何让社区更安全
日期:2019-10-29 18:12

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

I've been a police officer in an urban city for nearly 25 years. That's crazy, right?
我在一个城市当了将近25年的警察,很疯狂吧?
And in that time, I've served in every rank, from police officer to police chief.
在这段时间里,我从事了每个级别的工作,从警员到警察局长。
A few years ago, I noticed something alarming.
几年前,我注意到了令人担忧的事情。
Starting in 2014, I started monitoring recruits as they cycled through police academies in the state of New Jersey,
从2014年起,我开始观察新泽西州警察学院一轮轮新兵们的测试培训,
and I found that women were failing at rates between 65 and 80 percent, due to varying aspects of the physical fitness test.
我发现,在基于身体不同方面的体能测试中,女性的失败率高达65%到80%。
I learned that a change in policy now required recruits to pass the fitness exam within 10 short workout sessions.
我了解到,现在政策变化后,要求新兵在10个短期锻炼课程中通过体能考试。
This had the greatest impact on women.
这对女性新兵的影响最大。
The change meant that recruits had about three weeks out of a five-month-long academy to pass the fitness exam.
这一变化意味着新兵们在为期五个月的培训中,只有三周时间通过体能考试。
This just didn't make sense, though.
这很不合理。
Police agencies and police recruits had made huge investments to get those recruits into the academy.
为使那些新兵进入警察学院,警察机构和新兵都投资巨大。
Police recruits had passed lengthy background checks, they had passed medical and psychological exams, they had quit their jobs.
警察新兵们已通过长时间的背景调查、通过了医学和心理检查,并辞去了原来的工作。
And many had spent more than 2,000 dollars in fees and equipment just to get kicked out within the first three weeks?
许多人在设备和各种费用上花了超过2000美元,就为了在前三周被赶出警察学院吗?
The dire situation in New Jersey led me to examine the status of women in policing across the United States.
新泽西州女警察的严峻形势,促使我研究了全美警察中女性的地位。
I found that women make up less than 13 percent of police officers.
我发现女警占比不到13%。
A number that hasn't changed much in the past 20 years.
该数字在过去20年并无太大变化。
And they make up just three percent of police chiefs as of 2013, the last time the data was collected.
在2013年最后一次的统计中,警察局长里仅有3%是女性。
We know that we can improve those rates.
我们知道我们本可以提高这些比例。
Other countries like Canada, Australia and the UK have nearly twice the amount of policewomen.
其它国家如加拿大、澳大利亚和英国,女警比例几乎是上述数字的两倍。
And New Zealand is steadily marching towards their goal of recruit gender parity by 2021.
新西兰正在稳步迈向到2021年实现警察男女数量均等的目标。
Other countries are actively working to increase the number of women in policing,
其他国家也正积极努力增加女警数量,
because they know of a vast body of research evidence, spanning more than 50 years, detailing the advantages to women in policing.
因为他们知道大量的、跨度50多年的研究证据,详列了女警的优势。
From that research, we know that policewomen are less likely to use force or to be accused of excessive force.
根据这项研究,我们知道,女警察可能较少使用武力,或较少被指责过度使用武力。
We know that policewomen are less likely to be named in a lawsuit or a citizen complaint.
我们也得知,女警较少被提起诉讼或被公民投诉。
We know that the mere presence of a policewoman reduces the use of force among other officers.
我们还知道,现场即使仅有一名女警也会减少其他警员使用武力的可能性。
And we know that policewomen are met with the same rates of force as their male counterparts, and sometimes more,
而且我们知道,女警与男同行面临同样概率的武力状况,有时甚至更多,
and yet they're more successful in defusing violent or aggressive behavior overall.
然而,整体来看,她们在消除暴力或攻击性行为方面更成功。

女性警察如何让社区更安全

So there are vast advantages to women in policing, and we're losing them to arbitrary fitness standards.
因此,女性在警务方面有很大优势,而我们正因为武断的体能标准而失去她们。
The problem is, the United States has nearly 18,000 police agencies -- 18,000 agencies with wildly varying fitness standards.
问题就在于,美国有近18000个警察机构--这些机构之间的体能标准差异很大。
We know that a majority of academies rely on a masculine ideal of policing that works to decrease the number of women in policing.
我们知道,多数警察学院崇尚男性化的治安理想,这导致了警察中女性人数的减少。
These types of academies overemphasize physical strength,
这些类型的警院过分强调体力,
with much less attention spent to subjects like community policing, problem-solving and interpersonal communication skills.
而对以下科目的关注要低很多,如社区警务、问题解决以及人际交往技能等。
This results in training that does not mirror the realities of policing.
这导致了警院培训内容不符合警务实际状况的问题。
Physical agility is but a small component of police work.
身体敏捷只是警务工作的一小部分。
Much of an officer's day is spent mediating interpersonal conflicts.
警员的大部分日常工作是调解人际冲突。
That's the reality of policing. These are my babies.
这就是警务工作的现况。这是我的宝宝们。
And we can reduce the disparity in policing by changing exams that produce disparate outcomes.
通过改变产生迥异结果的体能考试,我们可减少警察中男女不公平差异。
The federal courts have stated that men and women simply are not physiologically the same for the purposes of physical fitness programs.
联邦法院指出,就身体体能项目用途来说,男女在生理上完全不同。
And that's based on science.
而且这些都有科学依据。
Respected institutions that law enforcement deeply respects,
深受执法部门尊敬的机构,
like the FBI, the US Marshals Service, the DEA and even the US military
如美国联邦调查局、美国法警局、美国缉毒局,甚至美国军方,
they rigorously test fitness programs to ensure they measure fitness without gender-disparate outcomes.
他们严格测试这些体能项目,以确保衡量体能状况时不会产生性别差异。
Why is that? Because recruiting is expensive.
这是为什么?因为招聘费用很高。
They want to recruit and retain qualified candidates.
他们希望招募和留住合格的候选人。
You know what else the research finds?
你知道研究还发现了什么吗?
Well-trained women are as capable as their male counterparts in overall fitness, but more importantly, in how they police.
从整体体能来看,训练有素的女性与男性能力一样强,但更重要的是,在如何执行任务方面同样出色。
The law-enforcement community is admittedly experiencing a recruitment crisis.
不可否认的是,执法界正在面临招募危机。
Yet, if they truly want to increase the number of applicants, they can.
然而,若他们真想增加申请者人数,也可以做到。
We can easily recruit more women and reap all those research benefits
我们可以轻松的招募到更多女性,并获得所有这些研究的福利,
by training well-qualified candidates to pass validated, work-related, physiologically-based fitness exams,
培训完全合格的候选人,来通过已验证的、工作相关和基于生理条件的体能测试,
as required by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act.
只需根据《民权法案》第七章的要求。
We can increase the number of women, we can reduce that gender disparity, by simply changing exams that produce disparate outcomes.
我们可以增加女性的数量,我们可以减少性别差异,只需改变产生迥异结果的考试即可。
We have the tools. We have the research, we have the science, we have the law.
我们有工具,我们有研究、有科学、有法律。
This, my friends, should be a very easy fix. Thank you.
朋友们,这应该是很容易解决的问题。谢谢大家。

分享到