电影如何改变我们看世界的方式
日期:2019-10-17 16:32

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

I'm a storyteller, but I'm also a troublemaker.
我是个故事讲述者,但我也是个麻烦制造者。
And I have a habit of asking difficult questions.
我有问刁钻问题的习惯。
It started when I was 10 years old, and my mother, who was raising six children, had no time for them.
这个习惯从10岁就开始了,我母亲需要抚养6个小孩,并没有时间应付这些问题。
At 14, fed up with my increasingly annoying questions,
在我14岁时,受够我不断增加的烦人问题后,
she recommended that I begin writing for the local English-language newspaper in Pakistan,
她建议我开始为巴基斯坦的本地英文报纸撰稿,
to put my questions out to the entire country, she said.
把问题丢给全国人民。
At 17, I was an undercover investigative journalist.
17岁时,我成了一名卧底调查记者。
I don't even think my editor knew just how young I was when I sent in a story that named and shamed some very powerful people.
当我开始点名批评一些非常有权势的人时,我甚至认为我的编辑并知道我还没成年。
The men I'd written about wanted to teach me a lesson.
我曾批评的人想要给我点教训。
They wanted to shame me and my family.
他们想让我和家人蒙羞。
They spray-painted my name and my family's name with unspeakable profanities across our front gate and around our neighborhood.
他们偷偷地把我和家人的名字喷在家和邻里的前门上,写满了难以启齿的脏话。
And they felt that my father, who was a strict man of tradition, would stop me.
他们觉得这样会让我父亲,这个严肃又传统的人出面阻止我。
Instead, my father stood in front of me and said, "If you speak the truth, I will stand with you, and so will the world."
与之相反的是,我父亲站在我面前说,“如果你说的是真相,我挺你,世界也会支持你。”
And then he got... And then he got a group of people together and they whitewashed the walls.
然后他...然后他找来一群人重新粉刷了墙。
I've always wanted my stories to jolt people, to shake them into having difficult conversations.
我一直希望我的故事能让人醒悟,动摇他们,让他们主动面对艰难的对话。
And I felt that I would be more effective if I did something visual.
我觉得如果我能做些视觉化的东西会更有效。
And so at 21, I became a documentary filmmaker,
所以在21岁时,我开始做纪录片导演,
turning my camera onto marginalized communities on the front lines in war zones,
我把镜头对准了战争前线的边缘社区,
eventually returning home to Pakistan, where I wanted to document violence against women.
最终拉回到巴基斯坦国内,我想在这里记录针对女性的暴力。
Pakistan is home to 200 million people.
巴基斯坦有2亿人口。
And with its low levels of literacy, film can change the way people perceive issues.
由于文盲很多,采用电影的形式可以有效的改变人们看待事情的方式。
An effective storyteller speaks to our emotions,
一个有效的讲述者会和我们的情感对话,
elicits empathy and compassion, and forces us to look at things differently.
激发我们的同理心和同情心,并迫使我们以不同的方式看待事物。
In my country, film had the potential to go beyond cinema. It could change lives.
在我的国家,电影的潜在作用会超越电影院。它可以改变生活。
The issues that I've always wanted to raise -- I've always wanted to hold up a mirror to society
我一直想提出的问题--我总是想给社会立一面镜子
they've been driven by my barometer of anger.
它们被我愤怒的晴雨表驱动。
And my barometer of anger led me, in 2014, to honor killings.
2014年,我愤怒的晴雨表将我引向了荣誉谋杀。
Honor killings take place in many parts of the world, where men punish women who transgress rules made by them:
荣誉谋杀发生在世界的很多地方,那些地方的男人会惩罚违反他们制定的规矩的女人:
women who choose to marry on their own free will; or women who are looking for a divorce;
按自己意愿自由结婚的女人;或者想要离婚的女人;
or women who are suspected of having illicit relationships.
或者被怀疑有不当关系的女人。
In the rest of the world, honor killings would be known as murder.
而在世界其他地方,荣誉谋杀会被视作谋杀。
I always wanted to tell that story from the perspective of a survivor.
我一直想从一个幸存者的角度来讲述这个故事。
But women do not live to tell their tale and instead end up in unmarked graves.
但女人往往活不到讲述她们的故事,而是会早早死在无名的坟墓里。
So one morning when I was reading the newspaper,
有天早晨,我在读报纸的时候
and I read that a young woman had miraculously survived after being shot in the face by her father and her uncle
读到一个年轻女子,被她的父亲和叔叔开枪击中脸部后奇迹般地活了下来。
because she chose to marry a man out of her free will, I knew I had found my storyteller.
因为选择按照自己的意愿嫁人,我知道我找到了我的故事讲述人。
Saba was determined to send her father and her uncle to jail,
萨巴决心把她的父亲和叔叔送进监狱,
but in the days after leaving the hospital, pressure mounted on her to forgive.
但在出院后的几天里,要求她宽恕的呼声越来越大。
You see, there was a loophole in the law that allowed for victims to forgive perpetrators, enabling them to avoid jail time.
法律有一个漏洞,要求受害者原谅施暴者,使他们免受牢狱之灾。
And she was told that she would be ostracized and her family, her in-laws, they would all be shunned from the community,
她被告知她将被孤立,她的家人,她的姻亲,都将被社会放逐,
because many felt that her father had been well within his right, given her transgression.
因为很多人认为鉴于她的过错,他父亲有权这样做。
She fought on -- for months. But on the final day in court, she gave a statement forgiving them.
她继续战斗--持续了几个月。但在法庭上的最后一天,她发表了原谅他们的声明。
As filmmakers, we were devastated, because this was not the film that we had set out to make.
作为电影人,我们深受打击,因为这不是我们打算要拍的电影。
In hindsight, had she pressed charges, fought the case and won, hers would have been an exception.
事后看来,如果她提起诉讼、打赢官司并胜诉的话,她的情况可能是个例外。
When such a strong woman is silenced, what chance did other women have?
当如此坚强的女性都被迫保持沉默,其他女性还有什么机会?
And we began to think about using our film to change the way people perceived honor killings,
我们开始考虑用我们的电影来改变人们对荣誉谋杀的看法,
to impact the loophole in the law.
去影响法律的漏洞。
And then our film was nominated for an Academy Award, and honor killings became headline news,
然后我们的电影获得了奥斯卡提名,荣耀谋杀成为头条新闻,
and the prime minister, while sending his congratulations, offered to host the first screening of the film at his office.
总理在表示祝贺的同时,主动提出在他的办公室主持这部电影的首映式。
Of course, we jumped at the chance, because no prime minister in the history of the country had ever done so.
当然,我们抓住了这个机会,因为这个国家的历史上还没有总理这样做过。
And at the screening, which was carried live on national television,
首映是通过国家电视台直播,
he said something that reverberated throughout the country: "There is no honor in honor killings," he said.
他的话引起了全国反响:“荣誉谋杀没有荣誉可言。”
At the Academy Awards in LA, many of the pundits had written us off,
在洛杉矶举行的奥斯卡颁奖典礼上,许多权威人士对我们不屑一顾,
but we felt that in order for the legislative push to continue, we needed that win.
但我们认为为了推动立法,我们需要这个胜利。
And then, my name was announced, and I bounded up the steps in flip-flops, because I didn't expect to be onstage.
然后,我的名字被念到了,我穿着人字拖跳上台阶,因为我没想到会出现在台上。
And I accepted the statue, telling a billion people watching that the prime minister of Pakistan had pledged to change the law,
我接受了这座雕像,告诉10亿观众巴基斯坦总理曾承诺修改法律,
because, of course, that's one way of holding the prime minister accountable.
因为这当然是追究总理责任的一种方式。

电影如何改变我们看世界的方式

And... Back home, the Oscar win dominated headline news,
于是...在国内,奥斯卡获奖占据了国内头条新闻,
and more people joined the fray, asking for the loophole in the law to be closed.
越来越多的人加入了这场争论,要求填补法律漏洞。
And then in October 2016, after months of campaigning, the loophole was indeed closed.
然后在2016年10月,数个月的活动后,法律漏洞真的被堵住了。
And now men who kill women in the name of honor receive life imprisonment.
现在那些以荣誉谋杀为借口杀害女性的人将被终生监禁。
Yet, the very next day, a woman was killed in the name of honor, and then another and another.
然而次日,一个女性被荣誉谋杀,然后是一个又一个。
We had impacted legislation, but that wasn't enough.
我们影响了立法,但这还不够。
We needed to take the film and its message to the heartland, to small towns and villages across the country.
我们需要把这部电影和它所传达的信息带到中心地带,带到全国各地的小城镇和村庄。
You see, for me, cinema can play a very positive role in changing and molding society in a positive direction.
对我而言,电影在改变和塑造社会的方面可以起到非常正面的作用。
But how would we get to these places? How would we get to these small towns and villages?
但我们应该如何到达这些地方?我们如何到达这些小城镇和村庄?
We built a mobile cinema, a truck that would roll through the length and breadth of the country,
我们创造了一个移动电影院,一辆将穿过这个国家各个角落,
that would stop in small towns and villages.
停在各个小城镇和村庄的卡车。
We outfitted it with a large screen that would light up the night sky, and we called it "Look But With Love."
我们为它配备了一个可以照亮夜空的大屏幕,我们称之为“带着爱去看。”
It would give the community an opportunity to come together and watch films in the evening.
它为社区提供了一个在夜晚一起看电影的机会。
We knew we could attract men and children in the mobile cinema.
我知道移动电影院可以吸引男性和孩子们。
They would come out and watch.
他们会出来观看。
But what about women? In these small, rural communities that are segregated, how would we get women to come out?
那么女性呢?在这些被隔离的农村小社区,我们如何让女性走出家门?
We had to work with prevailing cultural norms in order to do so,
为了做到这一点,我们必须依照盛行的文化规范,
and so we built a cinema inside the cinema, outfitting it with seats and a screen
所以我们在电影院里又设立了一个电影院,为它配备了座椅和屏幕,
where women could go inside and watch without fearing or being embarrassed or harassment.
女性可以在无需害怕、尴尬或被骚扰的情况下,进去观看。
We began to introduce everyone to films that opened up their minds to competing worldviews,
我们开始向大家介绍一些开阔眼界,让他们接受不同世界观的电影,
encouraging children to build critical thinking so that they could ask questions.
鼓励孩子们培养批判性思维,这样他们就能问问题。
And we expanded our scope beyond honor killings, talking about income inequality, the environment,
我们也将主题范围覆盖到荣誉谋杀之外,谈论收入不平等、环境问题,
talking about ethnic relations, religious tolerance and compassion.
谈论种族关系、宗教宽容和同情心。
And inside, for women, we showed them films in which they were heroes, not victims,
在里面,针对女性,我们播放那些女性是英雄,而非牺牲品的电影,
and we told them how they could navigate the court system, the police system, educating them about their rights,
我们告诉她们如何浏览法庭系统、警务系统,让她们了解自己的权利,
telling them where they could seek refuge if they were victims of domestic violence, where they could go and get help.
告诉她们,如果她们是家庭暴力的受害者,可以到哪里寻求庇护,可以去哪里寻求帮助。
We were surprised that we were welcomed in so many of the places that we went to.
我们非常惊讶于在所到之处都受到了当地民众的欢迎。
Many of the towns had never seen television or social media, and they were eager for their children to learn.
很多城镇从来没有见过电视或社交媒体,他们非常渴望他们的孩子能够学习。
But there was also pushback and blowback with the ideas that we were bringing with us.
但对我们所带去的想法也存在一些阻力和反作用。
Two members of our mobile cinema team resigned because of threats from villages.
因为部分村民的威胁,我们移动电影院的两个成员辞职了。
And in one of the villages that we were screening in, they shut it down
有一个村庄还关闭了我们的移动电影院,
and said they didn't want the women to know about their rights.
并且说他们不想女性知道她们的权利。
But on the flip side, in another village when a screening was shut down,
但另一方面,在另一个村庄,当移动电影院被关闭时,
a plainclothes policeman got up and ordered it back on, and stood by, protecting our team,
一个便衣警察站了起来,命令将它重新启动,并站在一旁保护我们的团队,
telling everyone that it was his duty to expose the young minds to an alternative worldview and to this content.
他告诉每个人,他的责任是让年轻人的思想接触另一种世界观和其中的内容。
He was an ordinary hero. But we've come across so many of these heroes on our journey.
他是个普通的英雄。但我们在旅途中遇到了很多这样的英雄。
In another town, where the men said that only they could watch and the women had to stay home,
在另一个城镇,那里的男人说只有他们才能看电影,女人只能呆在家里时,
a community elder got up, got a group of people together, had a discussion,
社区的一位长老站了起来,把一堆人聚在一起开展了讨论,
and then both men and women sat down to watch together.
然后男人和女人都坐下来一起看了电影。
We are documenting what we are doing. We talk to people.
我们记录下了我们正在做的事情。我们跟人们交谈。
We adapt. We change the lineup of films.
我们不断调整策略。我们改变了放映列表。
When we show men films that show perpetrators of violence behind bars,
我们给男人们看监狱里的暴力犯罪者的故事,
we want to hit home the fact that if men are violent, there will be repercussions.
我们想让人们明白,如果男人使用暴力,就会产生不良后果。
But we also show films where men are seen as championing women,
但我们也放映被视为女性拥护者的男人的电影,
because we want to encourage them to take on those roles.
因为我们想鼓励他们承担这样的角色。
For women, when we show them films in which they are heads of state
对于女性,我们给她们放映那些女性是国家领导,
or where they are lawyers and doctors and in leadership positions,
或者女性是律师、医生和领导岗位的电影,
we talk to them and encourage them to step into those roles.
我们跟她们交谈并鼓励她们进入这些角色。
We are changing the way people in these villages interact, and we're taking our learnings into other places.
我们改变了这些村庄里的人们互动的方式,我们把我们的经验应用到了其他地方。
Recently, a group contacted us and wants to take our mobile cinema to Bangladesh and Syria,
最近,一群人联系我们,希望把我们的移动电影院带到孟加拉国和叙利亚,
and we're sharing our learnings with them.
我们正在与他们分享我们的经验。
We feel it's really important to take what we are doing and spread it across the world.
我们觉得把我们在做的事情推广到全世界真的非常重要。
In small towns and villages across Pakistan, men are changing the way they interact with women,
在巴基斯坦的小镇和村庄中,男人改变了他们与女性互动的方式,
children are changing the way they see the world, one village at a time, through cinema. Thank you.
孩子们改变了看世界的方式,用电影院的方式,一个村庄接一个村庄的去改变。谢谢。

分享到