(单词翻译:单击)
There was a lot of machine-gun fire, a lot of artillery firing down on us.
好多机关枪,好多大炮朝我们开火 。
First I was afraid, and then I was numb, I didn't care what happened to me.
一开始我很害怕,后来就麻木了,就完全不在意自己的处境了 。
I just do my job.
就闷头打仗就完了 。
19 and you were ready to die for your country?
19岁你就已经准备好为祖国捐躯了吗?
That's right. This is my first time back to Normandy Beach.
是的 。这是我第一次回诺曼底 。
Since the war? Since the war.
二战以后的第一次?嗯,二战以后的第一次 。
What do you hope to accomplish on this trip? What do you hope to see the most?
这次回来你有什么愿望?你最想看的是什么?
Well, I want to look back over the beach, see a calm sea, you know, the noise, just be in a calm serene place.
嗯,我想回来看看海滩,看看那一片平静的大海,听听海浪的声音,就在那个平静而祥和的地方待一待 。
My name is Rishi Sharma and I'm here in Normandy to try to meet and interview every single World War two combat veteran of the Allied countries.
我叫理希·沙玛,这次我来到了诺曼底,这次行程是采访二战时期盟军一方的退伍军人 。
I've been to 45 states in the US, I've interviewed just over a thousand veterans so far.
目前为止,我已经走过了美国45个州,采访了1000多名退伍军人 。
And I think travel is so fundamental to understanding the world around you.
我认为,旅行是了解你身边的世界的基础 。
To understand history, you need to interact with the people who were there.
要了解历史,你需要找当时在场的人交流 。
Put yourself in that position, you're boxed up in there and that whole thing that's guarding you drops down.
假如当时被困在那种处境的是你,而保护你的那些武器不停地在发射 。
The bullets just starting to fly in there. How would you feel?
子弹也不停地朝着你飞过来 。你会有什么感觉?
I don't think I could survive that.
我应该活不下来 。
I was injured there and this little boat, all of them.
我就是这会儿受伤的,还有这艘小船,所有人都受伤了 。
So during the invasion, you basically took over as the coxswain and you were the driver of the seconds' boat?
登陆的时候,你本来是舵手是吗?
Yes. We had to go in, drop the load, back off the beach to get back to escape,
是的 。但我们也得卸武器,把武器运到海滩上,在往回跑躲炮弹,
get another load, getting along there, didn't have them survive.
再卸再运,他们都没能活下来 。
Every single day of these heroes lives, it's been about other people.
这些英雄的每一天都在为别人拼命 。
And the only way we can learn from them is by talking to them.
我们向他们学习的唯一办法就是跟他们聊天 。
I daresay you look better now than you did back then.
我敢说,你这身比以前好看多了 。
You talk to me about what's going on in your mind, what's it like to be back?
你已经跟我说了你的想法,那这次回来,你是什么感觉?
It's a very distinct difference, so nice, serene, quite, compared to the noise and confusion 75 years ago.
与75年前的嘈杂和混乱相比,现在的诺曼底太美好、太祥和、太安静了 。
I think what the best thing we can do is what we're doing here today,
在我看来,我们今天已经做到了我们所能做到的一切,
come back, view where they're buried, think about their families, and have an annual event just like we're having now,
回来这里,看看他们被埋葬的地方,想想他们的家人,像我们现在一样举办年度纪念活动,
but don't wait to the 75th or 80th or something like that, celebrate it every day.
但请不要等到75周年或80周年这种时间点才来纪念他们,每天都应该纪念他们 。
Save what we have given you.
珍惜我们给你们的美好生活 。