(单词翻译:单击)
He sat down: but he did not get leave to speak directly.
他坐了下来,但我并没有让他马上就开口。
I had been struggling with tears for some time:
我己经强忍住眼泪多时,
I had taken great pains to repress them, because I knew he would not like to see me weep.
竭力不让它流下来,因为我知道他不喜欢看到我哭。
Now, however, I considered it well to let them flow as freely and as long as they liked.
但现在我认为还是让眼泪任意流淌好,爱淌多久就淌多久。
If the flood annoyed him, so much the better. So I gave way and cried heartily.
要是一腔泪水使他生了气,那就更好。于是我放任自己,哭了个痛快。
Soon I heard him earnestly entreating me to be composed.
不久我就听他真诚地求我镇静下来。
I said I could not while he was in such a passion.
我说他那么怒火冲天,我可无法镇静下来。
"But I am not angry, Jane: I only love you too well;
“可是我没有生气,简。我只是太爱你了。
and you had steeled your little pale face with such a resolute, frozen look, I could not endure it.
你那苍白的小脸神色木然,铁板一块,我可受不了。安静下来,
Hush, now, and wipe your eyes."
噢,把眼睛擦一擦。”
His softened voice announced that he was subdued; so I, in my turn, became calm.
他口气软了下来,说明他己经克制住了。因此我也随之镇静下来。
Now he made an effort to rest his head on my shoulder, but I would not permit it.
这时他试着要把他的头靠在我肩上,但我不允许。
Then he would draw me to him: no.
随后他要一把将我拉过去。不行!
"Jane! Jane!" he said, in such an accent of bitter sadness it thrilled along every nerve I had; "you don't love me, then?
“简!简!”他说。声调那么伤心,我的每根神经都颤栗起来了。“那么你不爱我了?
It was only my station, and the rank of my wife, that you valued?
你看重的只是我的地位以及作为我妻子的身份?
Now that you think me disqualified to become your husband, you recoil from my touch as if I were some toad or ape."
现在你认为我不配作你的丈夫,你就害怕我碰你一碰了,好像我是什么癞蛤蟆或者猿猴似的。”