(单词翻译:单击)
"Now for the hitch in Jane's character," he said at last, speaking more calmly than from his look I had expected him to speak.
“至于简性格上的障碍,”他终于说,比他的神态所让我期望的要镇定。
"The reel of silk has run smoothly enough so far;
“到现在为止,这团丝线还是转得够顺利的,
but I always knew there would come a knot and a puzzle: here it is.
但我向来知道,会出现结头和迷团,现在就是。
Now for vexation, and exasperation, and endless trouble! By God!
此刻面对着烦恼、气怒和无休无止的麻烦!上帝呀!
I long to exert a fraction of Samson's strength, and break the entanglement like tow!"
我真想动用萨姆森的一分力量,快刀斩乱麻!”
He recommenced his walk, but soon again stopped, and this time just before me.
他又开始走动,但很快停了下来,这回正好停在我面前。
"Jane! will you hear reason?" (he stooped and approached his lips to my ear); "because, if you won't, I'll try violence."
“简!你愿意听我说理吗?(他弯下腰来,凑近我耳朵)因为要是你不听,我就要使用暴力了。”
His voice was hoarse; his look that of a man who is just about to burst an insufferable bond and plunge headlong into wild license.
他的声音嘶哑,他的神态像是要冲破不可忍受的束缚,不顾一切地大胆放肆了。
I saw that in another moment, and with one impetus of frenzy more, I should be able to do nothing with him.
我在另一个场合见过这种情形,要是再增一分狂乱的冲动,我就对他无能为力了。
The present -- the passing second of time -- was all I had in which to control and restrain him
此刻,唯有在一瞬之间将他控制住,不然,
a movement of repulsion, flight, fear would have sealed my doom, -- and his.
一个表示厌恶,逃避和胆怯的动作将置我自己--还有他--于死地。
But I was not afraid: not in the least.
然而我并不害怕,丝毫没有。
I felt an inward power; a sense of influence, which supported me.
我感到一种内在的力量,一种气势在支持着我。
The crisis was perilous; but not without its charm:
危急关头往往险象环生,但也并非没有魅力,
such as the Indian, perhaps, feels when he slips over the rapid in his canoe.
就像印第安人乘着皮筏穿过激流所感觉到的那样。
I took hold of his clenched hand, loosened the contorted fingers, and said to him, soothingly,
我握住他捏得紧紧的手,松开他扭曲的手指,抚慰地对他说:
"Sit down; I'll talk to you as long as you like, and hear all you have to say, whether reasonable or unreasonable."
“坐下吧,你爱谈多久我就同你谈多久,你想说什么,不管有理无理,都听你说。”