章鱼和头足类动物奇妙的大脑和变形皮肤
日期:2019-09-07 16:41

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

This is a strange and wonderful brain, one that gives rise to an idea of a kind of alternative intelligence on this planet.
这是个奇怪而美妙的大脑,这个大脑会引发一种对这星球上有另类智慧的想法。
This is a brain that is formed in a very strange body,
这个大脑在一具非常奇怪的身体里,
one that has the equivalent of small satellite brains distributed throughout that body.
具有相当于遍布周身的小型卫星大脑。
How different is it from the human brain?
这与人类的大脑有多不同呢?
Very different, so it seems, so much so that my colleagues and I are struggling to understand how that brain works.
看起来非常不同,以至于我和同事正努力去了解这大脑的运作方式。
But what I can tell you for certain is that this brain is capable of some amazing things.
但我能肯定这大脑能做出些惊人之举。
So, who does this brain belong to?
那么,这是谁的大脑呢?
Well, join me for a little bit of diving into the ocean, where life began, and let's have a look.
好,来和我一起潜入海洋,生命开始之地,让我们来看看。
You may have seen some of this before, but we're behind a coral reef,
你之前可能已经看过一些,但我们在珊瑚礁后面,
and there's this rock out there, a lot of sand, fishes swimming around...
那里有岩石,很多沙子,鱼儿游来游去...
And all of a sudden this octopus appears, and now it flashes white, inks in my face and jets away.
突然间,这只章鱼出现了,现在它一闪而过,把墨水喷在我的脸上,窜走了。
In slow motion reverse, you see the ring develop around the eye, and then the pattern develops in the skin.
在慢动作反转中,你会看到环在眼睛周围形成,接着图案在皮肤上形成。
And now watch the 3-D texture of the skin change to really create this beautiful, 3-D camouflage.
现在看皮肤的3D纹理变化,真正创造出这种美丽的3D迷彩。
So there are 25 million color organs called "chromatophores" in the skin,
皮肤有2500万个称为“色素细胞”的颜色器官,
and all those bumps out there, which we call "papillae," and they're all neurally controlled and can change instantaneously.
这些突起通通被称为“乳突”,全都由神经控制,可以瞬间改变。
I would argue that dynamic camouflage is a form of "intelligence."
我认为动态伪装是一种“智慧”。
The level of complexity of the skin with fast precision change is really quite astonishing.
快速和精确变化的皮肤的确复杂得令人惊讶。
So what can you do with this skin?
那么,这种皮肤能怎么用?
Well, let's think a little bit about other things besides camouflage that they can do with their skin.
好吧,让我们想想除了伪装以外它们的皮肤能怎么用。
Here you see the mimic octopus and a pattern.
在这里看得到模仿的章鱼和图案。
All of a sudden, it changes dramatically -- that's signaling, not camouflage.
突然间发生巨大的变化--那是信号,不是伪装。
And then it goes back to the normal pattern.
然后它又回到正常模式。
Then you see the broadclub cuttlefish showing this passing cloud display as it approaches a crab prey.
接着你看到白斑乌贼在接近螃蟹猎物时显示浮云飘过的样子。
And finally, you see the flamboyant cuttlefish in camouflage and it can shift instantly to this bright warning display.
最后,你看到伪装的乌贼,它能立即转成这明亮的警示。
What we have here is a sliding scale of expression, a continuum, if you will, between conspicuousness and camouflage.
这里有连续的表达级别,从显眼到伪装,连续着。
And this requires a lot of control. Well, guess what? Brains are really good for control.
这需要很多控制。猜猜怎么着?大脑真的很适合控制。
The brain of the octopus shown here has 35 lobes to the brain, 80 million tiny cells.
这里显示的章鱼大脑有35个大脑裂片,8000万个小细胞。
And even though that's interesting, what's really odd is that the skin of this animal has many more neurons,
即使那很有意思,真正奇怪的是这种动物的皮肤有更多的神经元,
as illustrated here, especially in the yellow.
如图所示,尤其是黄色的神经元。
There are 300 million neurons in the skin and only 80 million in the brain itself -- four times as many.
皮肤中有3亿个神经元,而大脑本身只有8000万个,皮肤拥有的是大脑的4倍。
Now, if you look at that, there's actually one of those little satellite brains
如果你看,实际上有个小的卫星大脑,
and the equivalent of the spinal cord for each of the eight arms.
和相当于脊髓的八条手臂。
This is a very unusual way to construct a nervous system in a body.
这种构建体内神经系统的方式非比寻常。
Well, what is that brain good for?
那这样的大脑有什么好处呢?
That brain has to outwit other big, smart brains that are trying to eat it,
这个大脑必须智胜其他试图吃掉它的聪明大脑,
and that includes porpoises and seals and barracudas and sharks and even us humans.
包括海豚和海豹,梭鱼和鲨鱼,甚至包括我们人类。
So decision-making is one of the things that this brain has to do, and it does a very good job of it.
因此,大脑必须做的一件事情就是决策,且要做得很好。
Shown here, you see this octopus perambulating along, and then it suddenly stops and creates that perfect camouflage.
这里显示这只巡视的章鱼,它突然停步,造出完美的伪装。
And it's really marvelous, because when these animals forage in the wild,
这真是太棒了,因为当这些动物在野外觅食时,
they have to make over a hundred camouflaging decisions in a two-hour forage, and they do that twice a day. So, decision-making.
它们必须在两小时的觅食过程中做出一百多个伪装决策,每天两回。决策。
They're also figuring out where to go and how to get back home. So it's a decision-making thing.
它们还得弄清楚要去哪里和如何回家。这是决策之事。
We can test this camouflage, like that cuttlefish you see behind me,
我们可以测试这种伪装,就像在我身后看到的乌贼,
where we pull the rug out from under it and give it a checkerboard,
我们从它身下抽走地毯,让它在棋盘上,
and it even uses that strange visual information and does its best to match the pattern with a little ad-libbing.
它甚至用那些奇怪的视觉信息,当场尽力匹配棋盘的模样。
So other cognitive skills are important, too. The squids have a different kind of smarts, if you will.
其他的认知技能也很重要。鱿鱼有不同的智慧。
They have an extremely complex, interesting sex life.
它们有非常复杂、有趣的性生活。
They have fighting and flirting and courting and mate-guarding and deception. Sound familiar?
它们会战斗、调情、求爱、护卫伴侣和欺骗。
And it's really quite amazing that these animals have this kind of intuitive ability to do these behaviors.
听起来有点熟悉吧?非常神奇的是这些动物能够直觉地做这些行为。
Here you see a male and a female.
在这里你看到一雄一雌。
The male, on the left, has been fighting off other males to pair with the female, and now he's showing a dual pattern.
左边的雄性一直在对抗其他雄性以与雌性配对,现在它呈现出双重模式。
He shows courtship and love on her side, fighting on the other.
它在雌鱿鱼这边求爱和展现爱意,在另一边战斗。
Watch him when she shifts places -- and you see that he has fluidly changed the love-courtship pattern to the side of the female.
看它在雌性换边的时候--你会看到它已经流畅地转变成求爱模式来面对雌鱿鱼。
So this kind of dual signaling simultaneously with a changing behavioral context is really extraordinary.
因此,这种并行的双重信号伴随着不断变化的行为背景,真的非比寻常。
It takes a lot of brain power.
需要大量的大脑力。
Now, another way to look at this is that, hmm, maybe we have 50 million years of evidence for the two-faced male.
另一种看待这种情况的方式是,也许我们有了五千万年的男性双面人的证据。
All right, let's move on.
好,让我们继续吧。
An octopus on a coral reef has a tough job in front it to go to so many places, remember and find its den.
珊瑚礁上的一只章鱼面对一项艰难的工作,得要记住它去过的很多地方,还要找到它的巢穴。
And they do this extremely well.
它们做得非常好。
They have short- and long-term memory, they learn things in three to five trials -- it's a good brain.
它们有短期和长期记忆,它们试个三到五次就能学会--大脑很好。
And the spatial memory is unusually good.
空间记忆也极好。
They will even end their forage and make a beeline all the way back to their den.
它们在觅食结束后甚至会直奔巢穴。
The divers watching them are completely lost, but they can get back, so it's really quite refined memory capability.
观察它们的潜水员完全迷路了,但它们回得来,所以它们有非常细致的记忆能力。
Now, in terms of cognitive skills, look at this sleeping behavior in the cuttlefish.
在认知技能方面,看看乌贼的这种睡眠行为。
Especially on the right, you see the eye twitching.
特别是在右边,你会看到它的眼睛在抽搐。
This is rapid eye movement kind of dreaming that we only thought mammals and birds did.
这是做梦般的快速眼球运动,以前我们以为哺乳动物和鸟类才有。
And you see the false color we put in there to see the skin patterning flashing, and this is what's happening a lot.
看我们放在那里的假色,看到皮肤图案闪烁,这常常发生。
But it's not normal awake behaviors; it's all different.
但这不是一般清醒时的行为,完全不是。
Well, dreaming is when you have memory consolidation, and so this is probably what's happening in the cuttlefish.
人类在巩固记忆时做梦,乌贼可能就是这样。
Now, another form of memory that's really unusual is episodic-like memory.
另一种非比寻常的记忆形式是情节之类的记忆。
This is something that humans need four years of brain development to do
人类需要四年的大脑发育
to remember what happened during a particular event, where it happened and when it happened.
才记得住特定事件、发生的时间和地点。
The "when" part is particularly difficult, and these children can do that.
“何时”这部分是特别难以记住的,这些孩子能记住。
But guess what? We find recently that the wily cuttlefish also has this ability,
但猜猜怎么了?我们最近发现狡猾的乌贼也具有这种能力,
and in experiments last summer, when you present a cuttlefish with different foods at different times,
在去年夏天的实验中,如果在不同的时间喂不同食物给乌贼,
they have to match that with where it was exactly and when was the last time they saw it.
它们必须确切地匹配位置以及上一次看到那种食物的时间。
Then they have to guide their foraging to the rate of replenishment of each food type in a different place.
然后,它们的觅食必须配合地点和每种食物类型的补充速度。

章鱼和头足类动物奇妙的大脑和变形皮肤

Sound complicated? It's so complicated, I hardly understood the experiment.
听起来复杂吗?这太复杂了,我几乎无法理解这个实验。
So this is really high-level cognitive processing.
所以这真的是高级的认知处理。
Now, speaking of brains and evolution at the moment,
现在谈到大脑和进化,
you look on the right, there's the pathway of vertebrate brain evolution, and we all have good brains.
右边有脊椎动物大脑进化的途径,我们都有良好的大脑。
I think everyone will acknowledge that.
我想每个人都认可这一点。
But if you look on the left side, some of the evolutionary pathway outlined here to the octopus,
看一下左边,描述的是一些进化到章鱼的途径,
they have both converged, if you will, to complex behaviors and some form of intelligence.
两者都汇合到复杂的行为和某种形式的智慧。
The last common denominator in these two lines was 600 million years ago,
这两行中的最后一个共同点是6亿年前
and it was a worm with very few neurons, so very divergent paths but convergence of complicated behavior.
一种神经元非常少的蠕虫,所以,非常不同的路径汇合到复杂的行为。
Here is the fundamental question:
这里有一个很基本的问题:
Is the brain structure of an octopus basically different down to the tiniest level from the vertebrate line?
章鱼的脑结构是否与脊椎动物的有本质区别?
Now, we don't know the answer, but if it turns out to be yes,
我们现在没有答案,但如果结果是肯定的,
then we have a different evolutionary pathway to create intelligence on planet Earth,
那么就有不同的进化途径创造出地球上的智慧,
and one might think that the artificial intelligence community might be interested in those mechanisms.
可能那些做人工智能的人会对这些机制感兴趣。
Well, let's talk genetics just for a moment.
好,我们来谈点遗传学。
We have genomes, we have DNA, DNA is transcripted into RNA, RNA translates that into a protein, and that's how we come to be.
我们有基因组,有DNA,DNA被转录成RNA,RNA将其转化为蛋白质,就成了我们。
Well, the cephalopods do it differently.
而头足类动物有所不同。
They have big genomes, they have DNA, they transcript it into RNA, but now something dramatically different happens.
它们有很大的基因组,有DNA,转录成RNA,但发生了一些截然不同的事情。
They edit that RNA at an astronomical weird rate, a hundredfold more than we as humans or other animals do.
它们以天文奇速编辑RNA,速度超过人类或其他动物数百倍。
And it produces scores of proteins. And guess where most of them are for? The nervous system.
产生了大量的蛋白质。猜猜大部分在哪里?在神经系统里。
So perhaps this is an unorthodox way for an animal to evolve behavioral plasticity.
因此,这可能是动物进化可塑性行为的非正统方式。
This is a lot of conjecture, but it's food for thought.
这里有很多猜测值得去深思。
Now, I'd like to share with you for a moment my experience,
现在让我稍稍分享经验,
and using my smarts and that of my colleagues, to try and get this kind of information.
并利用我和同事的聪明才智尝试获取此类信息。
We're diving, we can't stay underwater forever because we can't breathe it, so we have to be efficient in what we do.
我们潜水,但无法一直待在水下,因为我们无法呼吸,所以我们必须高效地工作。
The total sensory immersion into that world is what helps us understand what these animals are really doing,
把感官全沉浸在水世界中有助于我们了解这些动物真正在做什么,
and I have to tell you that it's really an amazing experience to be down there and having this communication with an octopus and a diver
我必须要说的是,在水里与章鱼和潜水员交流真的是一种非常棒的体验,
when you really begin to understand that this is a thinking, cogitating, curious animal.
得以借此明白它们是一种思考和好奇的动物。
And this is the kind of thing that really inspires me endlessly.
这真的无止尽地激励着我。
Let's go back to that smart skin for a few moments.
让我们回到那智能皮肤片刻。
Here's a squid and a camouflage pattern.
这是一只鱿鱼和迷彩图案。
We zoom down and we see there's beautiful pigments and reflectors.
我们放大,看到美丽的颜料和反射层。
There are the chromatophores opening and closing very quickly.
有快速打开和关闭的色素细胞。
And then, in the next layer of skin, it's quite interesting.
接着在下一层皮肤中,非常有趣。
The chromatophores are closed, and you see this magical iridescence just come out of the skin.
色素细胞是封闭的,你会看到皮肤呈现出这种神奇的虹彩。
This is also neurally controlled, so it's the combination of the two, as seen here in the high-resolution skin of the cuttlefish,
这也是神经控制的,所以是结合两者,如高分辨率的乌贼皮肤中所见,
where you get this beautiful pigmentary structural coloration and even the faint blushing that is so beautiful.
这里有美丽的颜料结构色彩,甚至是如此美丽的微红。
Well, how can we make use of some of this information?
那么,我们如何利用这些信息呢?
I talked about those skin bumps, the papillae.
我先前谈到了皮肤肿块,即乳突。
Here's the giant Australian cuttlefish. It's got smooth skin and a conspicuous pattern.
这是巨大的澳大利亚乌贼。它有光滑的皮肤和明显的图案。
I took five pictures in a row one second apart, and just watch this animal morph
我一秒连拍了五张照片,只为看这种动物变形,
one, two, three, four, five -- and now I'm a seaweed.
一、二、三、四、五--现在它模仿海藻。
And then we can come right back out of it to see the smooth skin and the conspicuousness.
倒回来看看光滑显眼的皮肤。
So this is really marvelous, morphing skin. You can see it in more detail here.
这真是奇妙变形的皮肤。在这里能看得更仔细。
Periscope up, and you've got those beautiful papillae.
潜望镜升起来了,有美丽的乳突。
And then we look in a little more detail, you can see the individual papillae come up,
再看一点细节,看的到个别的乳突出现,
and there are little ridges on there, so it's a papilla on papilla and so forth.
那里有小脊,是乳突上的乳突等等。
Every individual species out there has more than a dozen shapes and sizes of those bumps
每个物种都有十几种形状和大小的凸起,
to create fine-tuned, neurally controlled camouflage.
以创造微调、神经控制的伪装。
So now, my colleagues at Cornell, engineers, watched our work and said, "We think we can make some of those."
现在我康奈尔大学的同事、工程师们看到这些成果,说:“我们应该能做出一些这种东西。”
Because in industry and society, this kind of soft materials under control of shape are really very rare.
因为在工业和社会中,这种受形状控制的软质材料确实非常罕见。
And they went ahead, worked with us and made the first samples of artificial papillae, soft materials, shown here.
他们开始与我们合作,制作了人造乳胶,软材料的第一批样品,如图所示。
And you see them blown up into different shapes.
看它们胀成不同的形状。
And then you can press your finger on them to see that they're a little bit malleable as they are.
你可以用手指按压,看得出来它们有点可塑性。
And so this is an example of how that might work.
这是一个可以拿来运用的例子。
Well, I want to segue from this into the color of fabrics, and I imagine that could have a lot of applications as well.
好,我想转谈布料的颜色,这里也能有很多应用。
Just look at this kaleidoscope of color of dynamically controlled pigments and reflectors that we see in the cephalopods.
只要看看我们在头足类动物中看到的动态控制颜料和反射层如万花筒般的颜色。
We know enough about the mechanics of how they work that we can begin to translate this
我们对它们的作用机制了解得够多,我们可以开始转化,
not only into fabrics but perhaps even into changeable cosmetics.
不仅可以将其转化为布匹的染料,甚至可以转化为千变万化的化妆品。
And moreover, there's been the recent discovery of light-sensing molecules in the skin of octopus which may pave the way to,
此外,最近在章鱼的皮肤中发现了感光分子,
eventually, smart materials that sense and respond on their own.
最终可能会为能够自我感知和响应的智慧材料铺平前路。
Well, this form of biotechnology, or biomimicry, if you will, could change the way we look at the world even above water.
那么,这种形式的生物技术或仿生学能改变我们看世界的方式,即使在水面之上亦然。
Take, for example, artificial intelligence that might be inspired by the body-distributed brain and behavior of the octopus
例如,人工智能能受到章鱼周身遍布大脑的启发,
or the smart skin of a cuttlefish translated into cutting-edge fashion.
或乌贼的智能皮肤的启发,转化为尖端时尚。
Well, how do we get there?
那么,我们如何办到呢?
Maybe all we have to do is to begin to be a little bit smarter about how smart the cephalopods are. Thank you.
也许我们只需更聪明地看待头足类动物是多么的机灵。谢谢。

分享到
重点单词
  • communityn. 社区,社会,团体,共同体,公众,[生]群落
  • extraordinaryadj. 非凡的,特别的,特派的
  • intelligencen. 理解力,智力 n. 情报,情报工作,情报机关
  • displayn. 显示,陈列,炫耀 vt. 显示,表现,夸示
  • cognitiveadj. 认知的,认识的,有认识力的
  • proteinn. 蛋白质
  • efficientadj. 效率高的,胜任的
  • extremelyadv. 极其,非常
  • rown. 排,船游,吵闹 vt. 划船,成排 vi. 划船,
  • mimicadj. 模仿的,假的 [计算机] 模拟的 vt. 模仿