赋能一个女孩 改变一个社区
日期:2019-07-12 14:52

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

To empower girls, you need to educate them. That was my dream.
为了赋能女孩子们,你需要教育她们。那正是我的梦想。
And so I built a school, and in the process, I learned something much bigger.
所以我创办了一所学校,并且在过程中,我学到一些更重要的事情。
When you empower a girl, you transform a community. School is just a start.
当你赋能一个女孩的时候,你也改造了一个社区。学校只是一个开始。
I grew up in rural Kenya in a small village called Enoosaen.
我在肯尼亚乡下一个叫作Enoosaen的村子长大。
I was the first of eight children,
我是八个孩子中的老大,
and I spent my childhood helping my mother cook, clean, farm and take care of my siblings.
我的童年是在帮助母亲做饭,打扫卫生,种地和照顾我的兄弟姐妹中度过的。
Like other Maasai girls, I was engaged from a very young age to be married.
与其他马塞族女孩一样,我在很小的时候就订了婚约。
But as I reached puberty, I underwent female genital mutilation, known as FGM.
但是当我到达青春期时,我遭受了女性割礼,也就是熟知的FGM。
This picture shows some of the tools that are used to perform FGM on girls.
这幅图是给女孩进行割礼的一些工具。
FGM was supposed to mark the end of my childhood and, by extension, my education.
割礼标志着我童年时代的终结,还有,随之相关的我的教育的终结。
But I negotiated with my father in order to stay in school -- even after going through FGM.
但是为了能继续上学,我与父亲进行了协商--甚至是在经历了FGM之后。
Years later I went to university.
若干年后我进入了大学,
And in order to get my community's support, I promised to come back one day to repay that support.
为了得到我的社区的支持,我许诺有一天会回到社区来偿还那份支持。
But years later, when I went back to my village, not much had changed.
但是多年后,当我回到我的村子时,没有太多东西发生改变。
Girls were still going through FGM, still leaving school,
女孩们依然在遭受着FGM,一直还在辍学,
still getting married to men older than their fathers and still having children when they're teenagers.
一直还在与比她们父亲还老的男人结婚,并且一直还在她们还是青少年时就生儿育女。
I did not want to see any more girls go through that.
我不想看到任何女孩再遭受那些事情。
That's when I knew what I needed to do to give back to my community.
那是在当我知道我需要做一些事情来回馈我们社区的时候。
I built a school just for girls so that they can be free from FGM and early marriage.
我创办了一所只为女孩开设的学校,以便她们可以远离FGM和早婚。
At my first enrollment... At my first enrollment, I had hoped for 10 girls. 100 came.
在我第一次登记时...在我第一次登记时,我希望有10个女孩。结果100个来了。
I started to realize just how big this dream was,
我开始意识到这个梦想是多么的伟大,
and soon I learned that my school could be the foundation -- but it wasn't going to be enough.
很快我意识到学校可以作为基础--但是它将会不够。
So that first year, I enrolled these 30 girls.
所以,在第一年我们登记了这30个女孩。
Some had been abused, others were orphans, and some came from families that are very traditional,
有些曾被虐待,有些是孤儿,有些来自非常传统的家庭,
that had never sent any girl to school. So school started.
她们的家庭从未把这些女孩送进过校园,所以学校启动了。
Though the girls seemed excited to be there, they were having difficulty staying awake.
尽管女孩们在校园似乎很激动,她们却很难保持清醒。
What was going on? They had a teacher, they had books, there was a new classroom on the way, but ...
发生了什么呢?她们有老师,她们有书籍,并且一个新的教室正在建设中,但是...
They were determined to be there, but they had no energy.
她们下定决心待在学校,但是却没有体力。
Then I realized they were hungry, so I quickly found a cook and food.
这时我意识到她们是饥饿的,所以我很快找到了厨师和食物。
Soon thereafter, I learned that a classroom was not enough. I needed a boarding school.
不久以后,我意识到一个教室并不够。我需要一个寄宿制学校。
Not only were the girls tired and hungry from chores and long walks to school and back home, they were also not safe.
女孩们的疲劳和饥饿,源于杂乱的工作和校园到家里的来回长途跋涉,另外她们这样也不安全。
It's a sad truth, but girls are often assaulted, raped and even kidnapped on their way to school.
这是一个可悲的现实,但是女孩们经常被袭击、强奸、甚至绑架,在去往学校的途中。
So before a girl could learn math or history, she needed to feel safe, she needed to be rested and be well-nourished.
所以,在一个女孩能学习数学和历史之前,她需要能感受到安全,她需要休息好并且营养良好。
So let me tell you about some of my girls.
所以让我给你讲述一些关于我的女孩的故事。
This is Faith. Faith comes from a very traditional family in the community.
这个女孩叫Faith。Faith来自于社区中一个非常传统的家庭。
Her older sister had already gone through FGM and already married, but Faith was so determined.
她的大姐姐已经遭受了FGM,并且也结婚了,但是Faith是如此的决心坚定。
She really loved learning, and she wanted to come to my school when she heard about it.
她真的喜欢学习,当听到我的学校时她想要加入。
So she asked her father, her mother -- anyone to bring her to my school.
所以她问了她的父亲,她的母亲--是否有人可以带她来我的学校。
They all refused. Faith did something very brave.
他的父母都拒绝了。于是Faith做了一件非常勇敢的事情。
She stole an egg from her mother's house, went to the market, sold the egg and bought a single pencil.
她从母亲的屋子偷了一个鸡蛋出来,跑到市场,卖掉了鸡蛋然后买了一只铅笔。
Then she walked five miles, clenching that pencil, trying to enroll.
然后她走了五英里,紧握那根铅笔,尝试加入学校。
She arrived... She arrived tired and hungry, but determined.
她赶到学校了...她到达时又累又饿,但是却心意坚决。
I listened to her story, and we enrolled her in my school.
我听了她的故事,然后把她接纳进我的学校。
But getting into my school was only just the start.
但是进入到我的学校仅仅只是开始。
Faith needed food, she needed medicine, she needed counseling -- all of which we provided.
Faith需要食物,她需要治疗,她需要咨询--我们提供了所有这些。
And she also met adults who already believed in her. Supported by this community, Faith was ready to learn.
她也见到了已经信任她的大人。通过社区的支持,Faith已经准备好学习。
This is Faith. Six months of schooling, now she's a happy sixth grader who dreams of becoming a pilot someday,
这就是Faith。入学6个月后,现在她是一个开心的梦想着将来成为飞行员的六年级学生,
and her family now supports her, and best of all, her younger sisters will follow in her footsteps.
并且她的家庭现在也支持她了,更重要的是,她年幼的妹妹也会紧随她的步伐。
Child marriage is expected to cost the global economy trillions of dollars over the next 15 years.
在未来的15年,童婚预计会花费全社会数亿美元。
We can talk numbers, but in a real lifetime,
我们可以谈论数字,但是在现实生活中,
what child marriage will cost my village is the doctor, the teacher, the entrepreneur,
童婚浪费我们村子的是大夫,是教师,是企业家,
the true partner our men will need in the future ... real ways women can help us lift out of poverty.
浪费的是男性在未来需要的真正伴侣,浪费了女性可以帮助我们脱离贫困的道路。
So I came to realize once again, as I did when I needed help to go to university,
所以我再次意识到,正如我在上大学需要帮助时做的那样,
that while I could dream or have a dream, I could not make it come true all by myself.
在我可以梦想或者拥有一个梦想时,我不可能只靠自己让它实现。
So I went back to the elders who helped me more than a decade ago.
所以我跑回去找曾经在十多年前帮助过我的老者。
I needed their support once again if I was going to be successful.
如果想要成功我需要他们再次支持我。
So I formed a community board with religious leaders, parents and some teachers from other schools.
所以我组建了一个社区委员会,由宗教领袖,父母和一些从其他学校来的教师所组成。

赋能一个女孩 改变一个社区

I needed allies in the government and in the community to help advance my goal.
我需要政府和社区中的盟友来帮助实现我的目标。
I needed especially the support of the chief to help me enforce the no-FGM policy in my school.
我特别需要酋长的支持,来帮助我在学校中强制执行无FGM政策。
At first he was resistant, but I persisted... and now he's our greatest ally.
一开始他拒绝,但是我坚持着...现在他是我们最大的盟友。
I also needed the fathers. That brings me to Linet.
我也需要父亲们。这让我想到了Linet。
Linet's father, Momposhi, did not believe in the education of girls.
Linet的父亲Momposhi并不认可女孩子的教育。
In fact, he himself never went to school.
事实上,他本人未曾去学校上过学。
But Linet's mother believed in Linet and brought her to enroll in my school, and I knew she belonged with us.
但是Linet的母亲相信Linet,并且把她带到我的学校登记,我知道她属于我们。
I just had to find a way to get Momposhi to believe in Linet, too.
我只需要找到一个方法,让Momposhi也相信Linet。
So I used the pretense of revealing Linet's grade to get Momposhi to come.
所以我用公布Linet成绩作为借口,设法让Momposhi来到学校。
He came, and he started noticing his daughter being promising as a student.
他来了,并且开始注意到他的女儿在作为学生时很有前途。
With each visit, he built a strong relationship with his daughter
每到访一次,他都与女儿建立起坚强的关系,
noticing not just her grades but also accepting her as someone with full potential.
不止注意到她的成绩,并且开始接受一个很有潜力的她。
So when Linet was accepted in one of the top national high schools after eighth grade,
所以,当Linet被一个顶级高中录取时,那是在八年级后,
Momposhi was bursting with pride and went around the village telling everyone how proud and how smart his daughter was.
Momposhi满怀自豪的爆发了,并且他跑过村子,告诉每一个人他的女儿是多么的自豪和能干。
Can you imagine? He brought Linet to the new school himself.
你敢想象吗?他自己把Linet带到了新的学校。
It was the first time either of them had ever been to Nairobi.
那是他们父女俩的第一次内罗毕之旅。
Today Linet is studying at university in Australia... and Momposhi is our greatest advocate in the community.
现在Linet正在澳大利亚读大学...然后Momposhi是我们在社区最大的拥护者。
I also brought mothers to the table, including my own. That's my mother in one of our training programs.
我同样把母亲们也带到桌前,包括我自己的母亲。这是我的妈妈在我们其中的一个培训课程上。
And our mothers are involved in the education of their own children. I also brought grandmothers into the mix.
我们的母亲们参与了她们孩子所接受的教育。我同样把祖母们也带到其中。
In my community, grandmothers are the proud keepers of our stories and cultures,
在我们社区,祖母们是自豪的,她们是我们的故事和文化的守护者,
and I wanted my girls to learn and embrace our rich Maasai culture.
我希望我们的女孩能学习并拥抱马塞族丰富的文化。
Today, grandmothers do story time with the girls, and it's a beautiful way our community remains connected.
今天,祖母们与女孩们分享故事,这是一种社区能够保持联系的美好方式。
I also ... started working with the boys!
我同样...开始与男孩们合作!
What would happen if the boys grew up with the same mindset as their fathers before them?
如果男孩子们和他们之前的父辈们持有一样的眼界并且长大成人,又会发生什么呢?
I'll tell you, not much will change.
我告诉大家,没有太多东西会改变。
So I enlisted support from an organization called I'm Worth Defending:
所以从一个叫作“我值得保护”的组织招募支持:
a group of young, progressive leaders led by Alfred and George.
一群由阿尔弗雷德和乔治带领的有进取心的青年领袖。
Together we created a training program for boys and girls who could not attend my school,
我们一起创办了针对男孩和女孩的培训课程,为那些不能来到校园的孩子,
sharing vital information about gender equality, health and human rights.
给他们分享关于性别平等的重要信息、健康和人权。
Today we have reached over 10,000 boys and girls and counting.
今天我们已经拥有超过1万名的男孩和女孩。
It turns out it truly does take a village to make this kind of a dream come true.
事实证明,它真的需要一个村子的力量,使这种梦想成真。
That's what you're seeing today, where nearly 400 girls have not gone through FGM in my village,
这就是你今天所看到的,有接近400名女孩在我的村子中不再遭受FGM,
in a region where nearly 80 percent of women have been cut.
在这个地域几乎80%的女性曾遭受割礼。
Believe me, these girls, they are sharing their experiences with their sisters, their cousins and their friends.
相信我,这些女孩她们正在把自己的经历分享给她们的姐妹、表妹和她们的朋友们。
They're so interested.
她们如此感兴趣。
Over time, this is becoming the new normal and it's being embraced by the same, same community -- my community.
随着时间流逝,这将成为新的常态,并且这一点正在被原来的社区所拥抱--我的社区。
So what does transforming communities mean to Kenya?
那么改造社区对于肯尼亚意味着什么呢?
President Obama visited Kenya in 2015,
奥巴马总统曾在2015年造访肯尼亚,
and he met with representatives from organizations trying to help improve communities. Guess what? He met Linet!
他接见了一些组织的代表,这些组织尝试改进社区。猜下发生了什么?他见到了Linet!
Together they talked about a Kenya where all girls have the same opportunities,
他们一起讨论了肯尼亚这个国度,在那里所有的女孩机会均等,
where Linet is a leader and where communities like Enoosaen are thriving
在那里Linet是一个领袖,并且在那里像Enoosaen这样的社区们欣欣向荣,
because its members -- all its members -- have opportunities.
由于这些组织的成员的存在--所有每一个成员--都有机会。
Helping the communities see that each daughter is a treasure, every sister is full of potential,
帮助社区认识到每一个女儿都是一份宝藏,每一个姐妹都富有潜力,
and helping every single girl see that value in herself.
并且帮助每一个女孩看到她们自身的价值。
There is no limit to what that future will cost.
对于未来的成本是没有限制的。
Not every girl who comes to my school will be a PhD,
不是所有到我学校的女孩都会成为博士,
but every single one of them will achieve her full potential
但是她们中的每一个人都将实现自己的潜能,
and will become an advocate for her children and her grandchildren for years to come.
并且将成为自己孩子的支持者,也将成为数年后她们孙子的支持者。
Today my dreams are informed by what I learned from them and what I've learned from you.
今天我的梦想已经明确,通过我从她们所学到的,还有我从你们所学到的东西。
My journey led me out of Enoosaen and back again.
我的梦想把我带离,又带回到了Enoosaen。
And in the process, I was embraced by the world, and you have become my village.
在此过程中,我被世界所拥抱,并且你们也成了我的村庄。
So I make a new promise to you, my elders, my sisters and my friends,
所以,我要给你们一个新的许诺,我的尊长,我的姐妹们还有我的朋友们,
that I am going to keep dreaming and keep going until girls like Linet and Faith achieve their dreams and I see mine:
我将继续怀揣梦想并保持前进,直至所有像Linet和Faith的女孩都实现自己的梦想,并且我自己看到了:
that all communities give every single woman and every single girl their dreams come true.
所有的社区让每一个妇女和每一个女孩的梦想都变成了现实。
Thank you. Thank you, thank you.
谢谢。谢谢,谢谢。

分享到
重点单词
  • enforcevt. 实施,执行,强制,强迫,加强
  • priden. 自豪,骄傲,引以自豪的东西,自尊心 vt. 以 .
  • achievev. 完成,达到,实现
  • povertyn. 贫困,贫乏
  • globaladj. 全球性的,全世界的,球状的,全局的
  • empowervt. 授与权力,增加自主权
  • smartadj. 聪明的,时髦的,漂亮的,敏捷的,轻快的,整洁的
  • progressiveadj. 前进的,渐进的 n. 进步人士
  • informedadj. 见多识广的 v. 通告,告发 vbl. 通告,
  • thrivingadj. 旺盛的;蒸蒸日上的;繁荣的 v. 兴旺(thr