如何克服冷淡 找到力量
日期:2019-05-07 11:41

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

I want to start out with quoting Helen Keller, that great woman that we all admire.
我想用海伦·凯勒的话来开始这场演说,她是位人人都景仰的女性。
And she had a statement that is very profound,
她说过一句非常深奥的话,
and this statement is that science has been able to find cures for many evils,
那句话就是,科学已经能够为许多罪恶找到解药,
but never the greatest evil of all in human beings, and that evil is apathy.
但始终无法治疗人类的万恶之首,也就是冷淡。
So, we know that apathy really costs us a lot, especially in our democracy.
我们知道,冷淡让我们付出很大的代价,特别是在我们的民主方面。
And when we think of why people do not get involved, why they do not become activists,
当我们去思考为什么大家不愿意去涉入,为什么大家不成为行动主义者,
it's often that people are so worn down with their own familial responsibilities, and women especially.
答案通常是,大家已经因为自己的家庭责任而精疲力尽了,特别是女性。
You know, women, they have so many inhibitions.
你们知道的,女性受到好多的禁制。
Many of them have suffered so much trauma in their lives, so many aggressions in their lives.
许多女性在一生中受到巨大的创伤,一生中遭受好多侵犯行为。
And so it's very hard for them to realize that they have leadership capacities.
所以,她们很难知道她们同样拥有领导能力。
That they can get out there, and they could change the world.
她们其实可以站出来,可以改变世界。
Another thing that many women -- we think that we have to do everything.
许多女性还有一个状况--我们认为什么都得由我们来做。
That we are the only ones responsible for our families,
认为我们得要独自扛起我们家庭的责任,
and it is so hard for us to delegate and just get others to help us do the duties that we are responsible for.
我们很难授权别人来做这些事,很难让别人来协助我们做我们负责的工作。
We feel embarrassed or we feel guilty.
我们会觉得丢脸或是有罪恶感。
But we know that we have to make this happen, because if not,
但我们知道,我们必须要做到这一点,如果不这样的话,
we will never have time to be able to volunteer to help on these many causes that are now facing us.
我们就永远不会有时间能够自愿去协助达成我们现在面对的许多目标。
One of the areas that women can give up a little bit of time and that is in shopping, OK?
女人可以在一个领域中放弃一点点时间,那个领域就是购物。
And especially when we go out there shopping for things that we don't even need.
特别是当我们出门去购买一堆我们根本不需要的东西。
You know, you never saw a hearse with a U-Haul behind it.
你们从未见过U-Haul跟在灵车的后面。
We have to live simply, so that others can simply live.
我们得要简单地过日子,其他人才有日子能过。
And when we think of the kind of inheritance that we want to leave to our children or our grandchildren,
当我们去思考有什么遗产是我们想要留给孩子、孙子的,
think of leaving them a legacy of justice.
想想看我们可以留给他们“正义”这项遗产。
This is a legacy that they can not only imitate, but they can be proud of for the rest of their lives.
这项遗产不只是让他们可以仿效,他们也可以在余生为此感到自豪。
If we leave them a lot of material goods, all they're going to do is fight, and they're going to hate each other.
如果我们留给他们很多实体的物品,他们只会做一件事:打斗,且他们将会痛恨彼此。
Just remember that, when we think about what we're doing.
当我们思考我们该做什么时,别忘了这点。
The other thing that we have to do to liberate our women, eventually,
若最终要解放女性,还有一件事是我们得做的,
so that we can do the kind of volunteer work that we need to do to change this world,
这样我们才能去做我们必须要做的自愿性工作,来改变这个世界,
is we have to have a different kind of an education for our young women.
这件事就是要提供年轻女性一种不同的教育。
Unfortunately, in our societies around the world, women are taught to be victims.
不幸的是,在全世界的社会中,女人都被教导成为受害者。
Women are not taught that they are going to have to defend themselves,
女人并没有被教导要学会保卫自己,
that they're going to have to support themselves and they have to protect themselves.
没有被教导要学会支持自己,及要学会保护自己。
Because, you know, when we actually look at the animal kingdom,
因为,你们知道的,当我们真的去看动物王国,
and we see who are the most ferocious, the male or the female? We know it's the female, right?
我们看到最凶残的都是雄性或雌性?我们都知道是雌性,对吧?
So something went wrong with us at the top of that animal kingdom as women.
所以,在动物王国最上层的人类女性应该是出了什么问题。
So I want to give you an example of how I found my voice.
我想要举个例子,跟各位说明我如何找到我的声音。
And I was very fortunate in that, when I was 25 years old, I met a gentleman named Fred Ross Sr.,
我是很幸运的,当时我二十五岁,我遇到了一位男士,叫做大佛莱德·罗斯,
who organized a chapter of a group called the Community Service Organization in my hometown of Stockton, California.
他组织了“小区服务组织”这个团体的一个分会,在我的家乡,加州的史塔克顿。
This was a grassroots organization, and I was recruited to be a volunteer.
它是一个草根组织,我被招募成为该组织的志工。
So, one day, while we were sitting in the office, a farm worker comes in.
有一天,当我们坐在办公室里,有一位农工走进来。
And he's paralyzed, he can hardly walk, he has a crutch. And he needs help.
他瘫痪了,他几乎无法走路,他带着一根拐杖。他需要协助。
He needs someone to help him go down to the welfare office and make an application. So, I volunteered to do that.
他需要有人协助他去福利办公室,去做一项申请。所以,我自愿做这件事。
But when I got to the welfare office, they would not let me make an application for this gentleman.
但当我到了福利办公室,他们不让我代替这位男士申请。
So I didn't know what to do, I was at a loss.
我不知道该如何是好,我很茫然。
So I went back to the office, and I told Mr. Ross, "They won't let me make an application."
所以,我回到办公室,告诉罗斯先生此事:“他们不让我申请。”
And he said to me, very sternly, "You go right back down to that welfare office, and you demand to see a supervisor.
他非常坚决地对我说:“你再回去福利办公室,要求见主管。
And you demand that they let him make an application."
然后要求他们必须让他申请。”
And I thought, "Wow, I can do that?"
我心想:“哇,能这样啊?”
So I thought about it, and I kind of overcame my anxieties and my fears.
所以,我想了一下,算是克服了我的焦虑和恐惧。
I went down to the welfare office and I demanded to see the supervisor.
我前往福利办公室,要求见主管。
Sure enough, he came out, and they had to let Mr. Ruiz make an application for welfare.
当然,他出来了,而他们得要让鲁兹先生完成福利的申请。
And he got his disability for himself and his family.
他为自己和他的家人取得了残障福利。
But that taught me a lesson. That taught me that I had a voice.
但那教了我一课。那教了我:我也有声音。
Well, Mr. Ross also taught many of us many other things, including Cesar Chavez and many other volunteers.
罗斯先生也教了我们很多人很多其他的事,包括凯萨·查维兹,以及许多其他志愿者。
And he taught us not only that we can make demands of people, especially our public officials.
他教我们,我们不仅可以对别人提出要求,特别是对我们的政府官员。
And this is something we should always keep in mind: every public official -- guess what -- they work for us.
我们应该永远牢记这件事:每一位政府官员--你猜如何--他们为我们工作。
Because we pay their salaries with out taxes. And they are actually our servants.
因为我们缴税来支付他们的薪水。他们其实是我们的公仆。
Some of them turn out to be leaders, but not all of them.
他们当中有些人后来成了领袖,但并非所有人。
Once in a while we get a leader out of there.
偶尔,他们之中会出一位领袖。
The other thing that Mr. Ross taught us is that voting is extremely important.
罗斯先生还教了我们另一件事,投票是非常重要的。
And not just voting, but going out there and getting other people to vote. Going door to door.
不只是投票,还要采取行动,让其他人去投票。挨家挨户拜访。
Phone banking, talking to voters, because many voters have a lot of doubts and they don't know how to vote.
电话银行,和选举人谈话,因为许多选举人有许多疑惑,且他们不知道要如何投票。
And unfortunately, we know that in many countries people are not allowed to vote
不幸的是,我们知道,在许多国家,人民不被允许投票,
because we have voter suppression in other countries, like we do here in the United States of America.
因为在其他国家会打压选举人,就像我们美国这里所做的一样。
But the thing is, if we can get out there as individuals and talk to people,
但重点是,如果我们能够以个人的身分采取行动,和大家交谈,
so we can remove their apathy and make sure that they can vote.
来消除他们的冷淡,确保他们去投票。
So, I want to give you an example of a woman in our foundation, the Dolores Huerta Foundation,
让我举个例子,我们的基金会有一名女子,Dolores Huerta基金会,
and just to show you that sometimes people have power, but they don't know it.
这个例子可以让各位看到,有时人们本来就拥有力量,只是他们不知道。
But once they find it, they do miraculous things.
但一旦他们找到了这股力量,他们就能做到惊人的事。
So, Leticia Prado is an immigrant from Mexico, only has a sixth-grade education and speaks very limited English.
所以,拉蒂夏·普拉多是来自墨西哥的移民,只有六年级的教育程度,能说的英文也很有限。
But she was very concerned because the children at the middle school in their town called Weedpatch
但她非常担心,因为在他们的小镇威德帕奇的中学学生,
this is in California, Central Valley -- they couldn't go out and play in the schoolyard,
这是加州的中央谷地--他们不能出去到校园运动场玩耍,
because the air quality is so bad in the southern part of Kern County, California in our United States of America.
因为空气质量太差了,在美国加州克恩郡的南方地区。
So she and her husband went out there,
她和她先生站出来,
and they passed a bond issue to build a brand new, state-of-the-art gymnasium for the kids at their middle school.
他们通过了一项债券发行,来建立全新的先进体育馆,供他们的中学的学生使用。
That was a big success.
非常成功。

如何克服冷淡 找到力量

Then she heard a rumor that the principal was going to end the breakfast program for the farm worker children,
然后,她听到谣言,听说校长打算要终止农工孩童的早餐方案,
because the principal thought it was just too much paperwork.
因为校长认为文书作业太繁重了。
So, Leticia got herself elected to the school board.
所以拉蒂夏竞选并被选为学校董事会成员。
And they kept the breakfast program, and she got rid of the principal.
他们保住了早餐方案,还摆脱掉了那位校长。
So there were other rumors about some corruption in the local water district.
还有其他的谣言,提到当地的水管区有贪腐的现象。
So, Leticia got herself elected to the water district.
所以,拉蒂夏又到水管区参选并当选。
Then she looked into all of the finances of the water district
她调查了水管区的所有财务,
and found there was 250,000 dollars missing from their bank account.
发现他们的银行账户中有二十五万美金不见了。
So, Leticia called in the grand jury, and several arrests have been made.
所以,拉蒂夏打电话给大陪审团,逮捕了好几个人。
And this is just an example of a woman who never went to high school, never went to college, but she found her power.
在这个例子中的这位女子,从来没有上过高中,也没上过大学,但她找到了她的力量。
And in addition, she has recruited other people in the community to also run for public office,
此外,她也招募了小区中的其他人,请他们也去竞选,
and guess what -- they've all gotten themselves elected.
猜猜如何--他们全都当选了。
So, I take that Leticia really embodies something that Coretta Scott King said. And I want to share this with you.
所以,我认为拉蒂夏真的实现了科丽塔·史考特·金说的话。我想和各位分享。
Coretta Scott King said, "We will never have peace in the world until women take power."
科丽塔·史考特·金说:“在女人掌权之前,世界永远不会和平。”
Now, I have amended that statement to say that we will never have peace in the world until feminists take power.
我把她的话做了点修改:在女权主义者掌权之前,世界永远不会和平。
Because we know there is a difference, right?
我们知道这两者有差别,对吧?
Not only that, but if we want to define what is a feminist -- a person who stands up for reproductive rights,
不只如此,如果我们要定义女权主义者--一个人愿意站出来,支持生育权、
for immigrants' rights, for the environment, for LGBT rights and also for labor unions and working people.
支持移民者的权利、支持环境,支持LGBT的权利,还有劳工工会以及劳动阶级。
Which also means that men can also be feminists.
意思就是,男性也可以是女权主义者。
So when we think of feminization, we should also think of how can we feminize the policies,
当我们思考“女性化”时,我们应该也要想想我们如何能够将政策给女性化,
and not only of our major countries, the wealthy countries like the United States,
不只是大国,富有的国家如美国,
but all over the world, our domestic and foreign policy.
而是全世界,我们的国内和外交政策。
And one of the things that we can do to stop wars and to have peace
若要阻止战争、追求和平,我们能做的事之一就是
is to make sure that the wealthiest countries in the world also help the developing countries.
要确保世界上最富有的国家也能协助开发中国家。
Now, we did this in the past. After World War II, when Japan and Germany were devastated after the war,
我们在过去会这么做。在第二次大战之后,战后日本和德国饱受蹂躏,
United States of America gave many tax dollars to those two countries,
美国把税收的很大一部分给了这两个国家,
so that they can rebuild their economies and rebuild their corporations.
让它们能够重建经济,重建企业。
And we can do that again. And if we can think about how we can help these other countries.
我们可以再做一次这种事。如果我们能够想想,我们能如何协助其他国家。
And I want to give an example of issues that we are facing in the United States of America, for instance.
我想要举个例子,关于我们在美国所面临的议题。举例来说。
We know that right now we have a lot of refugees from Central America that are at the border of the United States.
我们知道现在有许多来自中美的难民,待在美国的边境。
Why do people leave their homes, their beautiful homes that we go to as tourists?
人们为什么要离开自己美丽的家?我们还会去那些地方观光呢。
Because they don't have opportunities there. And then we think, "Hm, bananas."
因为他们在那里没有机会。接着,我们想:“嗯,香蕉。”
How many jillions of bananas do we consume in the United States every single day?
在美国,我们每天会消费多少香蕉?
And throughout the world. Now, do the people in Central America get the profits from the bananas that we consume?
全世界呢?中美的人是否有从我们消费的香蕉获利?
No, they don't. The profits go to corporations from the United States of America.
并没有。利润到了美国企业的手上。
And we think that this is wrong.
我们认为那是不对的。
Now, if the people in Central America were to be able to get some of that money that we pay for bananas,
如果中美的人能够取得一些我们买香蕉的钱,
then they wouldn't have to leave their homes.
他们就不用离开家园了。
They wouldn't have to come as asylum seekers to the borders of the United States of America.
他们就不用像寻求政治避难者一样来到美国的边境了。
And then maybe, many children would not have to be separated from their parents.
也许,那时候,许多孩子也不用和父母分离。
Now, we know that there are countries in the world
我们知道,世界上有些国家,
that actually have free education and have free health care for all of the people in their country.
真的提供免费的教育和健康照护,全国的国民都可享用。
And that country is Cuba. Cuba has health care for every one of their citizens,
那个国家就是古巴。古巴的所有公民都享有健康照护,
and they have a free college education for every one of their citizens. They're 11 million citizens.
所有的公民也都能免费读大学。他们有一千一百万名公民。
Now, we think, if a poor country like Cuba can have these kind of resources,
我们可以想想,如果像古巴这么贫穷的国家都能有这样的资源,
and we know that they're a poor country, then why can't some of the other wealthier countries,
且我们知道他们是个贫穷的国家,那么为什么其他更富有的国家,
like the United States of America, do the same? I think that we can make that happen.
像是美国,为什么不能?我认为我们可以实现它。
But we know it's not going to happen until we,
但我们知道,它不会成真,除非我们,
the people of the United States of America, and people throughout the world,
美国人民,以及全世界的人民,
start making sure that they get public officials elected to their governments that really care about the constituents,
开始确保他们选出的政府官员真正在乎宪法,
they care about people, they will commit to make sure that the resources
在乎人民,他们会承诺要确保他们拥有的资源
that they have are going to be used for their citizens, and not to be used for war.
会被用在公民身上,而不是用在打仗上。
So, how do we make this happen? We have to get rid of the apathy, we have to get more people involved.
我们要如何让它成真?我们得要摆脱冷淡,我们得要让更多人参与。
We know that if we can't have a democracy in the United States,
我们知道,在美国若要拥有民主,
we can't have democracies throughout the world, unless people participate.
在全世界若要拥有民主,就需要人民参与。
So it is imperative that all of us get out there and we say,
所以,极重要的就是,我们所有人都要站出来说:
"Get rid of the apathy, get off of the sidewalk, come and join the march for peace and justice,
“摆脱冷淡,别再站在人行道上,一起走上街加入游行,争取和平和正义,
let's make Coretta Scott's vision a reality, to have peace in the world."
咱们来实现科丽塔·史考特的远景,达成世界和平。”
We recently had midterm elections in the United States of America. And what did we see?
最近,美国期中选举刚举行。我们看见了什么?
We saw that so many more women, young people, people of color, LGBT folks, were all elected to public office.
我们看到有更多更多的女性、年轻人、有色人种、LGBT族群,都选上了公职。
And we know this happened -- why? Because so many women were on the march.
我们知道这发生了--为什么?因为有好多女性去游行。
We had the Women's March in the United States.
在美国,我们有女性游行。
They had the Women's Marches all over the world.
在全世界都有女性游行。
And so we now see that we have this potential.
现在我们可以看到,我们有这种潜力。
We have this potential to get rid of the apathy.
我们有潜力可以摆脱冷淡。
And if we get everyone involved, get everyone committed, then, I think, we can make Coretta Scott's vision come true.
如果我们能让人人参与,让人人投入,那么,我想我们就能实现科丽塔史考特的远景。
So, I want to just remind everybody, throughout the world, one of the things is,
我只是想提醒大家,在全世界,很重要的事之一就是
we have power, poor people have power, every citizen has power.
我们有力量,穷人有力量,每位公民都有力量。
But in order to achieve the peace that we all yearn for, then we've all got to get involved.
但若要达成我们大家渴望的和平,我们所有人都得要参与。
So, what do we say? Can we do it? We say, "Yes, we can!"
所以我们要说什么?我们能做到吗?我们说:“是的,我们能!”
And in Spanish, we say, "Sí, se puede." Thank you very much.
用西班牙语,我们说:“Sí, se puede.”非常感谢。

分享到
重点单词
  • eventuallyadv. 终于,最后
  • juryn. 陪审团,评委会 adj. 临时用的 vt. 挑选
  • protectvt. 保护,投保
  • organizedv. 组织
  • potentialadj. 可能的,潜在的 n. 潜力,潜能 n. 电位,
  • districtn. 区,地区,行政区 vt. 把 ... 划分成区
  • applicationn. 应用; 申请; 专心 n. 应用软件程序
  • consumev. 消耗,花费,挥霍
  • delegaten. 代表 vt. 派 ... 为代表,委派 vi. 委
  • liberatev. 解放,使获得自由,释出,放出 vt. 解放,使获自