蓝宝石案(MP3+中英字幕) 第25期:追踪大鹅的来历(5)
日期:2019-02-18 14:37

(单词翻译:单击)

"Well, then, you've lost your fiver, for it's town bred," snapped the salesman.
"嘿,你那五英镑算是输掉了,因为它是在城里喂大的。"这位老板说。
"It's nothing of the kind." "I say it is." "I don't believe it."
"不是这样。""我说是这样。""我不信。"
"D'you think you know more about fowls than I, who have handled them ever since I was a nipper?
"你以为你对于家禽的了解,比我这个从当小伙计开始就同它们打交道的人还要内行吗?
I tell you, all those birds that went to the Alpha were town bred."
我告诉你,那些送到阿尔法酒店的鹅全是在城里喂大的。"
"You'll never persuade me to believe that."
"你决不可能使我相信你的话。"
"Will you bet, then?"
"那么你愿意打赌吗?"
"It's merely taking your money, for I know that I am right.
"这不过是要让你输钱罢了,因为我知道我是正确的。
But I'll have a sovereign on with you, just to teach you not to be obstinate."
但是我还是愿意拿出一个金镑的硬币和你打赌,仅仅是为了教训你不要固执己见。"
The salesman chuckled grimly. "Bring me the books, Bill," said he.
店主狞笑起来。"把帐簿给我拿来,比尔,"他说道。

福尔摩斯探案集 蓝宝石案

The small boy brought round a small thin volume and a great greasy-backed one,
那个小男孩取来一个薄薄的小帐本和一个封面沾满油腻的大帐本,
laying them out together beneath the hanging lamp.
把它们一起摊在吊灯下。
"Now then, Mr. Cocksure," said the salesman, "I thought that I was out of geese,
"喂,过于自信的先生,"店主人说道,"刚才我以为我把鹅都卖光了,
but before I finish you'll find that there is still one left in my shop. You see this little book?" "Well?"
可是在我结束营业之前,你会发现我们店里还剩下一只鹅,你看见这个小帐本了吗?""怎么回事?"
"That's the list of the folk from whom I buy. D'you see?
"那就是卖鹅给我的人的名单,你明白了吗?
Well, then, here on this page are the country folk,
好!这一页上的名字是乡下人的,
and the numbers after their names are where their accounts are in the big ledger.
在他们名字后面的数目字是总帐的页码,他们的帐户就记载在那一页上。
Now, then! You see this other page in red ink?
喂!你看见用红墨水写的另外一页了吗?
Well, that is a list of my town suppliers.
这是一张卖鹅给我的城里人的名单。
Now, look at that third name. Just read it out to me."
好!看一下那第三个人的名字。把它念给我听。"

分享到
重点单词
  • obstinateadj. 固执的,倔强的,不易屈服的,(病)难治的
  • merelyadv. 仅仅,只不过
  • persuadevt. 说服,劝说
  • ledger总帐,分类帐 n. 帐簿