经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第314期
日期:2019-01-21 10:40

(单词翻译:单击)

Chapter 22
第22章

Mr.Rochester had given me but one week's leave of absence: yet a month elapsed before I quitted Gateshead.
罗切斯特先生只准许我缺席一周,但我还没有离开盖茨黑德,一个月就已经过去了。
I wished to leave immediately after the funeral,
我希望葬礼后立即动身,
but Georgiana entreated me to stay till she could get off to London,
乔治亚娜却恳求我一直呆到她去伦敦,
whither she was now at last invited by her uncle, Mr. Gibson, who had come down to direct his sister's interment and settle the family affairs.
因为来这里张罗姐姐的葬礼和解决家庭事务的吉卜森舅舅,终于邀请她上那儿了。
Georgiana said she dreaded being left alone with Eliza;
乔治亚娜害怕同伊丽莎单独相处,
from her she got neither sympathy in her dejection, support in her fears, nor aid in her preparations;
说是情绪低沉时得不到她的同情;胆怯时得不到她的支持;收拾行装时得不到她的帮助。
so I bore with her feeble-minded wailings and selfish lamentations as well as I could,
所以乔治亚娜软弱无能、畏首畏尾、自私自利、怨天尤人,我都尽量忍受,
and did my best in sewing for her and packing her dresses.
并力尽所能替她做针线活,收拾衣装。


It is true, that while I worked, she would idle; and I thought to myself,
确实,我忙着时她会闲着不干事。我暗自思讨道:
"If you and I were destined to live always together, cousin, we would commence matters on a different footing.
“要是你我注定要一直共同生活,表姐,我们要重新处事,与以往全然不同。
I should not settle tamely down into being the forbearing party;
我不该乖乖地成为忍受的一方,
I should assign you your share of labour, and compel you to accomplish it, or else it should be left undone:
而该把你的一份活儿分派给你,迫使你去完成,要不然就让它留着不做。
I should insist, also, on your keeping some of those drawling, half-insincere complaints hushed in your own breast.
我还该坚持让你那慢条斯理、半真半假的诉苦咽到你肚子里去。
It is only because our connection happens to be very transitory,
正是因为我们之间的关系十分短暂,
and comes at a peculiarly mournful season, that I consent thus to render it so patient and compliant on my part."
偏又遇上特殊的凭吊期间,所以我才甘愿忍耐和屈从。”

分享到
重点单词
  • compliantadj. 服从的,顺从的
  • sympathyn. 同情,同情心,同感,赞同,慰问
  • dejectionn. 沮丧,颓丧,[医]排泄,排粪
  • settlev. 安顿,解决,定居 n. 有背的长凳
  • idleadj. 无目的的,无聊的; 懒惰的,闲散的; 无根据的
  • consentn. 同意,许可 v. 同意,承诺
  • transitoryadj. 暂时的,瞬息的,短暂的,片刻的
  • borevt. 使厌烦 n. 讨厌的人,麻烦事 v. 钻孔,开凿
  • rendervt. 使成为,提供,报答,着色; 执行,实施 vi.
  • compelv. 强迫,迫使,使不得已