(单词翻译:单击)
"Is that a portrait of some one you know?" asked Eliza, who had approached me unnoticed.
“那是你熟人的一幅肖像吗,”伊丽莎问,她己悄悄地走近了我。
I responded that it was merely a fancy head, and hurried it beneath the other sheets.
我回答说,这不过是凭空想象的一个头,一面赶忙把它塞到其它画纸底下。
Of course, I lied. it was, in fact, a very faithful representation of Mr. Rochester.
当然我扯了个谎,其实那是对罗切斯特先生的真实刻划。
But what was that to her, or to any one but myself?
但那跟她,或是除我之外随便哪个人有什么关系呢?
Georgiana also advanced to look.
乔治亚娜也溜过来看看。
The other drawings pleased her much, but she called that "an ugly man."
她对别的画都很满意,却把那一幅说成是“一个丑陋的男人”。
They both seemed surprised at my skill.
她们两个对我的技艺感到吃惊。
I offered to sketch their portraits, and each, in turn, sat for a pencil outline.
我表示要为她们画肖像。两人轮流坐着让我打铅笔草图。
Then Georgiana produced her album.
随后乔治亚娜拿出了她的画册。
I promised to contribute a water-colour drawing.
我答应画一幅水彩画让她收进去。
This put her at once into good humour.
她听了情绪立刻好转。
She proposed a walk in the grounds.
建议到庭园里去走走。
Before we had been out two hours, we were deep in a confidential conversation.
出去还不到两个小时,我们便无话不谈了。
She had favoured me with a description of the brilliant winter she had spent in London two seasons ago
她向我描述了两个社交季节之前在伦敦度过的辉煌的冬天
of the admiration she had there excited, the attention she had received, and I even got hints of the titled conquest she had made.
如何受到倾慕,如何引人注目,甚至暗示还征服了一些贵族。
In the course of the afternoon and evening these hints were enlarged on.
那天下午和晚上,她把这些暗示又加以扩充。
Various soft conversations were reported, and sentimental scenes represented.
转述各类情意绵绵的交谈,描绘了不少多愁善感的场面。
And, in short, a volume of a novel of fashionable life was that day improvised by her for my benefit.
总之那天她为我临时编造了一部时髦生活的小说。