(单词翻译:单击)
And yet I stooped down and kissed her. She looked at me.
然而我还是弯下身子,吻了吻她。她朝我看看。
"Is this Jane Eyre?" she said.
“是简·爱吗?”她说。
"Yes, Aunt Reed. How are you, dear aunt?"
“是的,里德舅妈。你好吗,舅妈?”
I had once vowed that I would never call her aunt again.
我曾发誓永远不再叫她舅妈。
I thought it no sin to forget and break that vow now.
我想此刻忘却和违背自己的誓言并不是罪过。
My fingers had fastened on her hand which lay outside the sheet.
我紧握住她搁在被头外面的手。
Had she pressed mine kindly, I should at that moment have experienced true pleasure.
要是她和气地握一握我的手,此刻我会由衷地感到愉快。
But unimpressionable natures are not so soon softened, nor are natural antipathies so readily eradicated.
但是顽固的本性不是立刻就能感化的,天生的反感也并非轻易就能消除。
Mrs. Reed took her hand away, and, turning her face rather from me, she remarked that the night was warm.
里德太太抽出了手,转过脸去,说了声夜晚很暖和。
Again she regarded me so icily, I felt at once that her opinion of me -- her feeling towards me -- was unchanged and unchangeable.
她再次冷冰冰地凝视着我,我立刻感觉到她对我的看法--对我所怀的情感--没有改变,也是不可改变的。
I knew by her stony eye -- opaque to tenderness, indissoluble to tears -- that she was resolved to consider me bad to the last,
从她那温情透不过、眼泪冶不了,犹如石头一般的眼睛里,我知道她决心到死都认定我很坏了,
because to believe me good would give her no generous pleasure, only a sense of mortification.
因为相信我是好人并不能给她带来愉快,而只会是一种屈辱感。
I felt pain, and then I felt ire, and then I felt a determination to subdue her
我先是感到痛苦,随后感到恼火,最后便感到决心要制服她
to be her mistress in spite both of her nature and her will.
不管她的本性和意志如何顽强,我要压倒她。
My tears had risen, just as in childhood. I ordered them back to their source.
像儿时一样,我的眼泪涌了上来。但我把它制住了。
I brought a chair to the bed-head. I sat down and leaned over the pillow.
我将一把椅子挪到床头边。我坐了下来,俯身向着枕头。
"You sent for me," I said, "and I am here, and it is my intention to stay till I see how you get on."
“你派人叫我来,”我说,“现在我来了,我想呆在这儿看看你的身体情况如何。”