经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第293期
日期:2018-12-12 11:38

(单词翻译:单击)

I did not need to be guided to the well-known room,
我不必由人领往那个熟识的房间,
to which I had so often been summoned for chastisement or reprimand in former days.
因为以前我总是被叫到那里挨骂和受罚。
I hastened before Bessie. I softly opened the door.
我赶在贝茜之前。我轻轻推开了门。
A shaded light stood on the table, for it was now getting dark.
桌子上点着一盏有罩的灯,天色已渐渐暗下来。
There was the great four-post bed with amber hangings as of old.
像往昔一样,还是那张琥珀色帐幔罩着四根大床柱的床。
There the toilet-table, the armchair, and the footstool,
还是那张梳妆台,那把安乐椅,那条脚凳。
at which I had a hundred times been sentenced to kneel, to ask pardon for offences by me uncommitted.
在这条脚凳上,我成百次地被罚跪,请求宽恕我并不存在的过错。
I looked into a certain corner near, half-expecting to see the slim outline of a once dreaded switch which used to lurk there,
我窥视了一下附近的墙角,多少希望看到曾使我胆战心惊的细长木条的影子,过去它总是潜伏在那儿,
waiting to leap out imp-like and lace my quivering palm or shrinking neck.
伺机象魔鬼一般窜出来,鞭挞我颤抖的手掌或往后缩的脖子。

经典名著 简爱

I approached the bed. I opened the curtains and leant over the high-piled pillows.
我走近床榻。撩开帐幔,俯身向着高高叠起的枕头。
Well did I remember Mrs. Reed's face, and I eagerly sought the familiar image.
我清楚地记得里德太太的面容,所以急切要寻找那熟悉的形象。
It is a happy thing that time quells the longings of vengeance and hushes the promptings of rage and aversion.
令人高兴的是,时光消蚀了复仇的念头,驱散了泛起的愤怒与厌恶之情。
I had left this woman in bitterness and hate,
过去我带着苦涩与憎恨离开了这个女人,
and I came back to her now with no other emotion than a sort of ruth for her great sufferings,
现在又回到了她身边,仅仅是出于对她极度痛苦的同情,
and a strong yearning to forget and forgive all injuries -- to be reconciled and clasp hands in amity.
出于不念旧恶、握手言和的强烈愿望。
The well-known face was there: stern, relentless as ever.
那里是一张熟悉的面孔,依旧那样严厉和无情。
there was that peculiar eye which nothing could melt, and the somewhat raised, imperious, despotic eyebrow.
难以打动的眼睛和微微扬起的专横独断的眉毛。
How often had it lowered on me menace and hate!
曾有多少次俯视我,射来恫吓和仇视的目光!
And how the recollection of childhood's terrors and sorrows revived as I traced its harsh line now!
此刻重睹那冷酷的线条,我童年时恐怖与悲伤的记忆又统统复活了!

分享到
重点单词
  • reprimandv. & n. 训诫,谴责 vt. 责难 n. 申诉
  • switchn. 开关,转换,鞭子 v. 转换,改变,交换,鞭打
  • eyebrown. 眉毛,[建]窗头线饰
  • menacen. 威胁,胁迫 v. 威吓,胁迫
  • pardonn. 原谅,赦免 vt. 宽恕,原谅
  • aversionn. 嫌恶,憎恨
  • meltvi. 融化,熔化,消散 vt. 使融化,使熔化,使消散
  • despoticadj. 专横的,暴虐的
  • relentlessadj. 无情的,冷酷的,残酷的
  • amityn. 友好;亲善关系;友好关系