(单词翻译:单击)
To find out, Charlie and his team placed five different deterrents in known shark hangouts and attempted to lure the sharks towards some tasty tuna.
为了找到答案,查理和他的团队在已知的鲨鱼出没地带放置了五种不同的威慑物,并试图用美味的金枪鱼引诱鲨鱼 。
Two were based on electric fields.
其中有两种都带有电场 。
We had a total of 300 trials.
我们共进行了300次试验 。
During those trials, we tested about 44 sharks, interacting with our experimental gear, and these sharks did more than 1500 passes.
在那些试验期间,我们测试了大约44只鲨鱼,与我们的实验装备互动,这些鲨鱼通过了超过1500次试验 。
What the team found was that only one of the deterrents tested had any effect on the behavior of the sharks:
该团队发现,测试的五种威慑物只有一种对鲨鱼的行为多少有些影响:
the Shark Shield that targeted the sensitive ampullae.
那就是针对十分敏感的壶腹的鲨鱼盾 。
When you have the shark shield, it is very annoying for sharks.
人有鲨鱼盾对鲨鱼来说是很恼火的 。
So at first they are curious and they come close,
一开始他们会很好奇,他们会靠近你,
but when if they come too close it's a bit like a very loud speaker for your ear. You won't stay around.
但靠的太近的话,鲨鱼盾的效果就跟在人耳朵边儿放一个扬声器一样 。你不会继续待下去的 。
It doesn't harm you, but it's a bit annoying.
虽然伤不着你,但你还是会觉得很烦 。
Without any deterrent, the shark was taking the bait that we were presenting them about about 96% of the time.
在没有任何威慑物的情况下,鲨鱼有大约96%的可能性吃掉诱饵 。
Once we used this electric field deterrent, the proportion of bait being taken by the shark was reduced down to 40%.
使用了这种带电场的威慑物的时候,鲨鱼吃掉诱饵的比例下降到了40% 。
The crew keeps this device aboard the dinghy while Ben swims,
本游泳的时候,船员们会一直将这个东西放在小艇上,
but Ben didn't need it during his recent peaceful encounter with a mako shark.
但最近遭遇鲭鲨时,本并没有用到 。
That's Ben.
本就是这样 。
You say there's a shark in the water, then he asks for clear goggles so he can see the shark and swim with it.
要是你说水里有条鲨鱼,他就会找你要一幅干净的护目镜,以便能清楚的看到鲨鱼,和它一起遨游 。
What a character.
太有个性了 。
The next move was to get to the boat and then take my snorkel
接下来就是到船旁边,拿上我的换气装置,
and then be very quiet and relaxed in the water and follow the behavior and try to enjoy the moment.
然后在水里保持安静,放松,跟着它的节奏游动,试着去享受那个时刻 。
But it seems such a moment with a shark that isn't a man-eating machine is still quite difficult for some to imagine.
然而,这样一个和不吃人的鲨鱼相遇的时刻对一些人来说还是难以想象 。
Some studies have suggested that the public tends to overestimate the occurrence of shark attacks by 10 or even 100 times.
一些研究表明,公众普遍将鲨鱼袭击事件发生的概率高估了十倍,甚至百倍 。
There's just so little we actually know about these fascinating fish.
我们对这些迷人的鱼类的了解其实十分有限 。
We've got more than 500 different species of sharks and out of those there are still a lot of species that are currently unknown.
世界上有超过500种鲨鱼,其中还有很多是我们目前根本不知道的 。
We don't even know their reproductive cycle. We don't even know where they've been feeding.
我们甚至连它们的生殖周期,它们以什么为食都还不清楚 。
The reason why I stay in the water whenever we have any type of sea life is to observe it and try to understand it a little bit more.
每当有任何类型的海洋生物的时候,我都会留在水下,为的是留在水里观察它,尝试去多了解它一点 。
It's not about Jaws, the movie that we all know.
鲨鱼并不是像我们都知道的电影《大白鲨》里那样的 。
Sharks are not like that.
鲨鱼不是那样的 。
Sometimes they are like us, or like any animals; they are curious.
有时它们跟我们,甚至跟任何动物一样都一样,他们也有一颗好奇心 。
When people mostly first dive with sharks, the first thing they say is “wow, that was impressive. That was beautiful.”
当人们第一次与鲨鱼一起潜水时,大部分人的印象都是“哇,太令人难忘了 。太美了 。“
They're more in awe rather than they were in fear.
他们对鲨鱼更多的是敬畏,还不是害怕 。
Ben's swim across the Pacific is amazing.
本横游太平洋的事迹确实十分了不起 。
Obviously, you know, he has to be careful.
显然,他必须十分小心 。
But in most cases, he'll be quite lucky to be able to observe these animals in a natural environment that not many people get to see as well.
但大多数情况下,他都能幸运地在自然环境中观察那些动物,很多人都是没有这个机会的 。
Be sure to visit Seeker.com/theswim to read daily updates from Ben Lecomte, track his progress in real-time,
请务必访问Seeker.com/theswim,阅读本·勒康特的每日更新,了解他的进展情况,
and watch more videos about the science happening onboard Seeker.
观看更多本栏目的新鲜视频 。
Click here for this next episode, and don't forget to subscribe.
点击此处观看下一集,还有,别忘了订阅噢 。
Thanks for watching!
感谢您的收看!