如何利用光来观察我们的身体与大脑
日期:2018-10-14 12:27

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

People don't realize that red light and benign near-infrared light go right through your hand, just like this.
人们不清楚这个红光和这个温和的近红外光可以穿透你的手,就像这样。
This fact could enable better, faster and cheaper health care. Our translucence is key here.
这个原理可以实现更好、更快、更便宜的卫生保健。我们的半透性是关键。
I'm going to show you how we use this key and a couple of other keys to see deep inside our bodies and brains.
我即将要向各位展示如何利用这个以及其他的关键来看透我们身体与大脑的深层。
OK, so first up ... You see this laser pointer and the spot it makes on my hand?
好,首先...各位看到这支雷射笔与我手上这个光点了吗?
The light goes right through my hand -- if we could bring the lights down, please -- as I've already shown.
这道光穿透了我的手--请把现场灯光转弱--正如我已经展示的。
But you can no longer see that laser spot. You see my hand glow.
但各位已经看不到那个雷射点了,只看到我手上的光晕。
That's because the light spreads out, it scatters.
那是因为光线分开、分散了。
I need you to understand what scattering is,
我需要各位先了解什么是光的分散现象,
so I can show you how we get rid of it and see deep inside our bodies and brains.
这样才能让各位明白如何移除它,并看到我们身体与大脑的深层内部。
So, I've got a piece of chicken back here.
后面这里有一块鸡肉。
It's raw. Putting on some gloves. It's got the same optical properties as human flesh.
它是生的。我戴上手套。鸡肉与人肉有相同的光学特性。
So, here's the chicken ... putting it on the light. Can you see, the light goes right through?
这是鸡肉...把它放到光上面。各位有看到这道光穿越过鸡肉了吗?
I also implanted a tumor in that chicken. Can you see it? Yes.
我在鸡肉里植入了一块肿瘤。你们有看到吗?有。
So this means, using red light and infrared light, we can see tumors in human flesh. But there's a catch.
这意味着,利用红光和红外线光,我们可以看到人身上的肿瘤。但有一个问题。
When I throw another piece of chicken on it, the light still goes through, but you can no longer see the tumor.
如果我再放上另一块鸡肉,光仍然可以穿越,但你看不到肿瘤了。
That's because the light scatters. So we have to do something about the scatter so we can see the tumor.
那是因为光被分散掉了。所以我们要想办法克服光分散的问题,这样我们才能看到肿瘤。
We have to de-scatter the light. So ...
我们要把光反分散。所以....
A technology I spent the early part of my career on enables de-scattering. It's called holography.
我在职涯的早期阶段落实反散射的技术成为器具。它叫全息摄影术。
And it won the Nobel Prize in physics in the 70s, because of the fantastic things it enables you to do with light.
在70年代获得物理诺贝尔奖,因为这个神奇的技术,可以帮你处理光的问题。
This is a hologram. It captures all of the light, all of the rays,
这个就是全息影像。它能捕捉到所有光、雷射、
all of the photons at all of the positions and all of the angles, simultaneously. It's amazing.
所有光子的入射位置与角度,在同一时间内全部捕捉到。很神奇。
To see what we can do with holography ... You see these marbles?
为了理解这个全息图装置可以做些什么,各位看到这些弹珠吗?
Look at these marbles bouncing off of the barriers, as an analogy to light being scattered by our bodies.
注意看这些正在障碍物上弹跳着的弹珠,这就像是光在我们体内散射的现象。
As the marbles get to the bottom of the scattering maze, they're chaotic, they're scattering and bouncing everywhere.
当这些弹珠在这迷宫似的弹珠台上往下掉时,它们会到处乱跑、散开、弹跳。
If we record a hologram at the bottom inside of the screen,
如果我们在荧幕底部记录它们的全息路径,
we can record the position and angle of each marble exiting the maze.
就能记录到所有弹珠穿越迷宫时各自的位置与角度。
And then we can bring in marbles from below and have the hologram direct each marble to exactly the right position and angle,
然后我们可以把弹珠从下面带上来,透过全息图装置,导引每颗弹珠以正确的位置与角度回弹,
such as they emerge in a line at the top of the scatter matrix.
使它们回到一开始排队从散射矩阵掉下来的地方。
We're going to do that with this. This is optically similar to human brain.
我们要用这个来做。这个东西的光学特性跟我们人类的大脑很像。
I'm going to switch to green light now,
我现在要换到绿光,
because green light is brighter to your eyes than red or infrared, and I really need you to see this.
因为对人类的肉眼而言,绿光比红光或红外线来得更明亮,我真的需要各位看清楚这个。
So we're going to put a hologram in front of this brain and make a stream of light come out of it.
我们要在这个类似人脑的物体上,放上一个全息影像装置,然后从它后面打光。
Seems impossible but it isn't. This is the setup you're going to see.
看起不可思议,但真的可以。这是你们将要看到的设置。
Green light. Hologram here, green light going in, that's our brain.
绿光。全息影像装置放这里,绿光打进去,这是我们的大脑。
And a stream of light comes out of it. We just made a brain lase of densely scattering tissue.
然后一股绿光从里面出来了。我们刚做了高密度散射组织的大脑雷射。
Seems impossible, no one's done this before, you're the first public audience to ever see this.
看起来很不可思议,之前没有人这样做,各位是我第一次公开展示的观众。
What this means is that we can focus deep into tissue. Our translucency is the first key.
也就是说,我们可以看到组织的深层内部。我们的半透明性是第一个关键。
Holography enabling de-scattering is the second key to enable us to see deep inside of our bodies and brains.
全息摄影装置有反散射的作用是第二关键,如此我们就可以看到身体与大脑的深层内部。
You're probably thinking, "Sounds good, but what about skull and bones?
各位可能在想,“听起来不错,但头颅和骨头呢?
How are you going to see through the brain without seeing through bone?"
不看穿骨头,怎么能看穿大脑呢?”
Well, this is real human skull. We ordered it at skullsunlimited.com.
是的,这是真实的人头骨。在skullsunlimited.com网站买的。
No kidding. But we treat this skull with great respect at our lab and here at TED.
没开玩笑。我们很尊重这头骨,不管是在实验室或TED演讲现场。
And as you can see, the red light goes right through it. Goes through our bones.
就如各位所看到的,红光透过去了。穿透了我们的骨头。
So we can go through skull and bones and flesh with just red light.
所以只要用红光就可以穿透我们的头骨、骨头、肉体。
Gamma rays and X-rays do that, too, but they cause tumors. Red light is all around us.
伽马射线和X光也可以,但会造成肿瘤。我们的生活周遭都是红外线。
So, using that, I'm going to come back here and show you something more useful than making a brain lase.
用那个装置,我回来这里向各位展示比大脑雷射更有用的东西。
We challenged ourselves to see how fine we could focus through brain tissue.
我们挑战自己到底能把脑组织看到多细微。
Focusing through this brain, it was such a fine focus, we put a bare camera die in front of it.
要聚焦看大脑,它的聚焦是如此细微,我们在它前面放了一粒相机裸晶。
And the bare camera die ... Could you turn down the spotlight? OK, there it is. Do you see that?
而这粒相机裸晶...可以把现场灯光调暗一点吗?好,看到它了。你们看到了吗?
Each pixel is two-thousandths of a millimeter wide. Two microns.
每个像素的宽度为千分之二毫米,也就是二微米大小。
That means that spot focus -- full width half max -- is six to eight microns.
意思是,那一点的焦距,半宽波长(FWHM)是六到八微米。
To give you an idea of what that means: that's the diameter of the smallest neuron in the human brain.
为了让各位更容易了解,这大小相当于人类大脑里最小神经元的直径。
So that means we can focus through skull and brain to a neuron.
这就意味着我们能穿透头骨和大脑直接聚焦神经元。
No one has seen this before, we're doing this for the first time here. It's not impossible.
之前都没有人看过,我们是第一次在此展示。这是办得到的。
We made it work with our system, so we've made a breakthrough.
用我们的系统办到的,是重大的突破。
Just to give an idea -- like, that's not just 50 marbles.
只是为了让你知道--这可不是仅仅50颗弹珠而已。
That's billions, trillion of photons, all falling in line as directed by the hologram,
而是有上亿、上兆的光子,全都依照全息装置的指挥排好了,
to ricochet through densely scattering brain, and emerge as a focus. It's pretty cool. We're excited about it.
弹跳似地闪过密密麻麻的大脑组织,最后通通聚焦到一个点。很厉害。我们很兴奋。
This is an MRI machine. It's a few million dollars, it fills a room, many people have probably been in one.
这是核磁共振仪。这一台要好几百万美金,占用一个房间,很多人可能用过。
I've spent a lot of time in one. It has a focus of about a millimeter -- kind of chunky, compared to what I just showed you.
我在一台里面待了很久。它的影像清晰度大约一毫米,比起我刚展示给各位看的算大。
A system based on our technology could enable dramatically lower cost, higher resolution and smaller medical imaging.
用我们技术做的系统,成本会大大降低,分辨率增高,医学成像更小。
So that's what we've started to do. My team and I have built a rig, a lab rig to scan out tissue.
这是我们已经开始进行的事。我的团队和我建了个实验机台来扫描细胞组织。
And here it is in action. We wanted to see how good we could do. We've built this over the last year.
上面是它正在运作的样子。我们想知道能做到多好。我们去年建造这个。
And the result is, we're able to find tumors in this sample -- 70 millimeters deep,
成果就是,我们找得到肿瘤,在这个七公分厚的样本里找得到,
the light going in here, half a millimeter resolution, and that's the tumor it found.
光线从这里进去,0.5毫米的分辨率,那是它找到的肿瘤。
You're probably looking at this, like, "Sounds good, but that's kind of a big system.
各位可能在想,“这系统看起来是不错,但还是有点大。
It's smaller than a honking-big MRI machine, monster MRI machine, but can you do something to shrink it down?"
是比超巨大的核磁共振仪、核磁共振大怪物小。但你能把它缩得更小吗?”
And the answer is: of course. We can replace each big element in that system with a smaller component
答案是:当然没问题。我们可以把这个系统里的每个大零件用小零件取代,
a little integrated circuit, a display chip the size of a child's fingernail.
小型的集成电路,像小朋友指甲一样大小的显示芯片。
A bit about my background: I've spent the last two decades inventing, prototype-developing
聊一下我的背景:在过去的二十年里我一直在发明、研发原型,
and then shipping billions of dollars of consumer electronics with full custom chips -- on the hairy edge of optical physics.
托运了在尖端的光学物理领域里的数十亿美元的、有着客制的芯片消费性电子产品。

如何利用光来观察我们的身体与大脑

So my team and I built the big lab rig to perfect our architecture and test the corner cases and really fine-tune our chip designs,
我的团队和我建了这个大型实验机台,来完善我们的作品,并在极端条件下做测试,
before spending the millions of dollars to fabricate each chip.
在花好几百万大量制造生产前,小心翼翼地微调我们的芯片设计。
Our new chip inventions slim down the system, speed it up
我们发明的新芯片把系统瘦身了、速度变快了,
and enable rapid scanning and de-scattering of light to see deep into our bodies.
可以快速扫描及反散射光线,好深入检视我们身体的内部。
This is the third key to enable better, faster and cheaper health care.
这是实现更好、更快、更便宜的卫生保健的第三关键。
This is a mock-up of something that can replace the functionality of a multimillion-dollar MRI machine into a consumer electronics price point,
这个实体模型可以取代好几百万美元的核磁共振仪的功能性,且价位可以达到消费性电子产品的等级,
that you could wear as a bandage, line a ski hat, put inside a pillow. That's what we're building. Oh, thanks!
让你可以像绑绷带、戴滑雪帽,或放在枕头里。那是我们正在打造的产品。喔,谢谢!
So you're probably thinking, "I get the light going through our bodies.
你可能会想,“我把光打进了身体。
I even get the holography de-scattering the light.
甚至有了全像摄影装置来反分散光源。
But how do we use these new chip inventions, exactly, to do the scanning?"
但我们到底是如何用这个新的芯片产品来进行扫描的?”
Well, we have a sound approach. No, literally -- we use sound.
我们用声音,没错,我们用声音。
Here, these three discs represent the integrated circuits that we've designed,
这里的这三个碟子代表我们设计的集成电路,
that massively reduce the size of our current bulky system.
会大规模缩小目前的大型系统。
One of the spots, one of the chips, emits a sonic ping, and it focuses down, and then we turn red light on.
其中一点,一个芯片,会发出声音,声音会集中往下传递,然后我们把红灯打开。
And the red light that goes through that sonic spot changes color slightly,
红光经过那个声音点会稍微改变颜色,
much like the pitch of the police car siren changes as it speeds past you.
有点像是警笛快速经过你身边时所产生的声音变化现象。
So. There's this other thing about holography I haven't told you yet, that you need to know.
所以,这就是我还没告诉各位全息摄影术的另一件事,这个你需要知道。
Only two beams of exactly the same color can make a hologram.
只有颜色完全相同的两条光束才能产生全息影像。
So, that's the orange light that's coming off of the sonic spot, that's changed color slightly,
所以,从声音点出来的橘色光,颜色稍微变了,
and we create a glowing disc of orange light underneath a neighboring chip and then record a hologram on the camera chip. Like so.
我们在相邻芯片的下方建了个泛着橘光的碟子,然后相机芯片会记录全息影像。就像这样。
From that hologram, we can extract information just about that sonic spot, because we filter out all of the red light.
我们可以从全息影像中抽取与那个声音点有关的信息,因为我们把所有的红色光滤掉了。
Then, we can optionally focus the light back down into the brain to stimulate a neuron or part of the brain.
然后,我们可以选择将光线聚焦到大脑中,以刺激部分的神经元或大脑。
And then we move on to shift the sonic focus to another spot. And that way, spot by spot, we scan out the brain.
接下来转移声音焦点到另一个位置。用这样的方式一点一点地扫瞄大脑。
Our chips decode holograms a bit like Rosalind Franklin decoded this iconic image of X-ray diffraction
我们的芯片可以解读全息影像,这有点象是罗莎琳·富兰克林透过译码X光绕射现象,
to reveal the structure of DNA for the first time. We're doing that electronically with our chips, recording the image
第一次解构出DNA的结构时那样。用我们的芯片,以电子的方式记录图像并解读信息,
and decoding the information, in a millionth of a second. We scan fast.
仅仅用了百万分之一秒,我们的扫描速度很快。
Our system may be extraordinary at finding blood.
我们的系统在寻找血液时可能非比寻常。
And that's because blood absorbs red light and infrared light. Blood is red.
因为血会吸收红光及红外线光。血是红色的。
Here's a beaker of blood. I'm going to show you. And here's our laser, going right through it.
这烧杯里有血液。我展示给各位看一下。这是我们的雷射射过去。
It really is a laser, you can see it on the -- there it is.
这真的是雷射,你看,射进去了。
In comparison to my pound of flesh, where you can see the light goes everywhere.
跟这肉相比,光散射到各处。
So let's see that again, blood. This is really key: blood absorbs light, flesh scatters light.
我们再看一遍,血。这就是关键:血会吸光,肉会把光散射掉。
This is significant, because every tumor bigger than a cubic millimeter or two has five times the amount of blood as normal flesh.
这很重要,因为每个大于一、二立方毫米的肿瘤,围绕在它周围的血液是正常肉体的五倍。
So with our system, you can imagine detecting cancers early,
所以可以想象用我们的系统,可以尽早发现癌细胞,
when intervention is easy, or tracking the size of your tumor as it grows or shrinks.
那时治疗会容易,或是追踪肿瘤的变大或缩小。
Our system also should be extraordinary at finding out where blood isn't, like a clogged artery,
我们的系统寻找缺血流的部位,表现也应该不错,像是动脉阻塞方面的侦测,
or the color change in blood as it carries oxygen versus not carrying oxygen, which is a way to measure neural activity.
或者血液中颜色的变化,像是血液是否携带氧气,这是测量神经元活动的方法。
There's a saying that "sunlight" is the best disinfectant.
有人说“太阳光”是最好的消毒剂。
It's literally true. Researchers are killing pneumonia in lungs by shining light deep inside of lungs.
真的是这样。研究人员发现,透过照射太阳光可以杀死肺深处的癌细胞。
Our system could enable this noninvasively.
我们的系统能以非侵入式的方式来达成这样的效果。
Let me give you three more examples of what this technology can do.
我再多举三个例子来说明这项科技可以为我们做些什么。
One: stroke. There's two major kinds of stroke: the one caused by clogs and another caused by rupture.
第一:中风。中风的原因主要有两个:一个是脑血管堵塞,另一个是脑血管破裂。
If you can determine the type of stroke within an hour or two,
如果你能在一到两个小时内判定是哪一种类型的中风,
you can give medication to massively reduce the damage to the brain.
就可以服用正确的药物,大大地减少脑部受损的危险。
Get the drug wrong, and the patient dies.
吃错药,病人就会完蛋。
Today, that means access to an MRI scanner within an hour or two of a stroke.
意思是现今中风后的一至二小时内得要用核磁共振仪进行扫描。
Tomorrow, with compact, portable, inexpensive imaging,
未来,有了这个小巧、可携带又不贵的影像成型技术,
every ambulance and every clinic can decode the type of stroke and get the right therapy on time. Thanks.
每一台救护车及每家医院都能及时判断中风的种类,并采取正确的医治方式。谢谢。
Two: two-thirds of humanity lacks access to medical imaging.
第二:这世上还有三分之二的人无法取得医学显影的医疗服务。
Compact, portable, inexpensive medical imaging can save countless lives.
这小巧、可携带又不贵的医学影像成型技术能拯救无数性命。
And three: brain-computer communication.
第三:人脑与计算机的沟通。
I've shown here onstage our system focusing through skull and brain to the diameter of the smallest neuron.
我在台上已向各位展示我们的系统可以穿透头骨,精准地观测到最小的神经元。
Using light and sound, you can activate or inhibit neurons,
你可以利用光及声音来刺激或抑制神经元的活动,
and simultaneously, we can match spec by spec the resolution of an fMRI scanner, which measures oxygen use in the brain.
同时,我们的规格不输给功能磁共振成像扫描仪,可以用来测量脑部的氧气消耗量。
We do that by looking at the color change in the blood, rather than using a two-ton magnet.
我们藉由观察血液的颜色变化,不用一台两吨重的磁铁仪器。
So you can imagine that with fMRI scanners today, we can decode the imagined words, images and dreams of those being scanned.
现今用共振成像扫描仪,想象我们的技术能译码扫描到的文字、图片、梦境。
We're working on a system that puts all three of these capabilities into the same system
我们正在把这三个功能结合在同一个系统里,
neural read and write with light and sound, while simultaneously mapping oxygen use in the brain
利用光与声音来读写神经元,同时扫描脑中的含氧量,
all together in a noninvasive portable that can enable brain-computer communication,
全部集合在非侵入性的可携装置里,可促成人脑与计算机的沟通,
no implants, no surgery, no optional brain surgery required.
不需植入、不需手术、不用考虑脑部开刀这选项。
This can do enormous good for the two billion people that suffer globally with brain disease.
这可以为全球两百万个深受脑部疾病的人带来很多益处。
People ask me how deep we can go. And the answer is: the whole body's in reach.
人们问我能看到多深。答案是:全身。
But here's another way to look at it.
这里有另一个看待的方式。
My whole head just lit up, you want to see it again? Yes!
刚刚我整颗头亮了,想要再看一遍吗?要!
This looks scary, but it's not. What's truly scary is not knowing about our bodies,
这看起来很可怕,但并不可怕。真正可怕的是不懂我们的身体、
our brains and our diseases so we can effectively treat them. This technology can help. Thank you. Thank you.
我们的大脑、我们的疾病,以致未能有效地治疗。这项科技可以帮助我们。谢谢各位。谢谢。

分享到
重点单词
  • streamn. (人,车,气)流,水流,组 v. 流动,流出,飘动
  • extraordinaryadj. 非凡的,特别的,特派的
  • interventionn. 插入,介入,调停
  • benignadj. 仁慈的,温和的,良性的
  • glowingadj. 灼热的,热情的,强烈的 动词glow的现在分词
  • samplen. 样品,样本 vt. 采样,取样 adj. 样
  • determinev. 决定,决心,确定,测定
  • fabricatev. 制造,建造,装配
  • onstageadj. 台上的;台上演出的 adv. 上台;上场
  • havenn. 港口,避难所,安息所 v. 安置 ... 于港中,