(单词翻译:单击)
So. You ate some moldy bread. You made a fine looking sandwich, took a few huge bites,
大家吃过发霉的面包 。你做了一个不错的三明治,吃了几大口,
and then realized the bread you used was a little ... fuzzy. Oops.
然后却发现,你用的面包有点长毛了 。呀...
Good news is, most of the time, this isn't a cause for panic.
好消息是,多数情况下,这些小毛毛不必引起恐慌 。
It's kinda gross, and you might not want to think about it too much,
虽然有点恶心,恐怕你也不愿多想,
but in all likelihood, nothing bad will happen to you— especially if you have a healthy immune system.
但是很有可能不会对你有啥影响—尤其是如果你的免疫系统比较健康的话 。
Still, there's a reason experts don't recommend finishing off that moldy loaf, so it's best not to press your luck.
但是出于某一种原因,专家们还是不会建议大家吃掉这块发霉的面包,所以还是不要冒险了 。
Molds are a type of fungi, and some people can be allergic to them.
霉菌是一种真菌,一些人对它们过敏 。
It's pretty rare for something serious to happen,
虽然不常有严重情况发生,
but one teenager actually died after eating two pancakes made with two-year-old, mold-infested mix.
但是有一名青少年曾因吃了两片过期发霉的煎饼后死亡 。
Even if you aren't allergic, though, you're still not off the hook.
即使你对霉菌不过敏,也可能摆脱不了厄运 。
The other big danger with mold-contaminated foods is mycotoxins.
含有霉菌食物的另一种危险是霉菌毒素 。
These are chemicals various molds make under certain conditions that are toxic to humans and other creatures.
这些化学物质是在某种环境中,由各种霉菌滋生而产生的,对人类和其他生物均有毒 。
For the most part, if you consume a little bit once or twice, you'll probably be okay.
大数情况下,如果你只吃一两口,可能没事 。
But in larger doses, or over longer periods of time, they can become an issue.
但是吃得太多或是过期时间太久,它们就成了问题 。
Take aflatoxin, for example, which is most commonly found in crops like corn and peanuts.
比如黄曲霉毒素,这是玉米和花生等谷物中最常见的毒素 。
We first realized it might be a problem in the 1960s when, over several months,
二十世纪六十年代,人类首次发现这种毒素是一种问题,
100,000 turkeys died in the UK from a mysterious condition dubbed Turkey X disease.
当时仅几个月时间,英国百万只火鸡患上了一种被称为火鸡X的疾病 。
Ultimately, scientists traced the poultry massacre to aflatoxin contaminating the animal feed.
最终,科学家们从大规模死亡的家禽查到喂养这些动物的食物中含有黄曲霉毒素 。
Today, we also know aflatoxin increases risk of liver cancer in humans, so it's not something you want on your toast.
如今我们还知道黄曲霉毒素会增加人类患肝癌的风险,所以你绝对不想让它们出现在你面包上 。
Other dangerous mycotoxins include ochratoxin, which targets the kidneys and is often found in corn or barley products,
其他危险的霉菌毒素包括赭曲霉素,其以肾脏为危害目标,在谷物或大麦产品中常见;
and fumonisins, which can cause birth defects and are also found in corn.
还有伏马菌素,会导致出生缺陷,其也存在于谷物之中 。
Right now, we know of about 400 or so mycotoxins in total.
目前,已知霉菌毒素有约四百种 。
For the most part, though, they're not too concerning in countries that do food safety tests and keep tabs on these sorts of things.
虽然多数情况下,在那些有食品安全测试并对此有密切关注的国家无需过度担心这些问题 。
They tend to contaminate raw grains and animal feeds rather than things you'd stick in your mouth directly,
它们易于污染未加工谷料和动物饲料,而非人类直接入口的东西,
but they can cause outbreaks and are a real health hazard in developing nations.
但是它们会引起疾病发作,是发展中国家中存在的健康危害 。
Because you could get sick, the rule of thumb is to throw away food that has any mold on it if it's soft.
因其导致生病,所以经验法则是扔掉任何长有霉菌的食物 。
This applies to things like bread, and also soft cheeses, meats, and dips.
适用食物包括面包、软芝士、肉类和沙司 。
That's because molds grow in microscopic thread-like branches called hyphae, and in soft foods, it's easier for them to spread.
这是因为霉菌生长于被称为菌丝的微观丝状分支中,以及软食物之中,这样更易于它们的传播 。
By the time you have a colorful patch of fuzzy spores on your bread, it's likely that the filaments run deep.
到时你的面包上就会有彩色的真菌孢子,丝状菌很有可能深深扎根 。
If the food is harder, like a hard cheddar, it's less likely that those hyphae have infiltrated the whole cheese.
如果是坚硬的食物,比如切达奶酪,那些菌丝就不太可能渗透整个奶酪 。
So, if mold is on just a small area, you can cut around it, but be generous.
因此,如果霉菌只是很小一块的话,你可以把这一块切掉,但是一定要大块切掉 。
The same advice goes for firmer fruits and veggies like carrots or large strawberries.
同样的建议也适用于多汁的水果和蔬菜,比如胡萝卜和大草莓 。
Toss or cut out the moldy section, rinse the rest, and enjoy.
扔掉或切掉发霉的部分,将剩余部分冲洗干净然后吃掉 。
But of course, if the whole item is covered in fur, you'll want to stay away.
当然,如果整个部分都被霉菌占领了,就直接扔掉吧 。
Finally, if you see mold on food, there's a good chance it's also loaded with bacteria by that point.
最后,如果你看到食物上有霉菌,那么上边很可能还覆盖有细菌 。
Which means mycotoxin or not, you could still get sick.
这就意味着不论有没有霉菌毒素,你都会得病 。
So it's better to play it safe, and find another snack. Sorry.
所以最好不要冒险,吃干净的 。
Thanks for asking, and thanks to all of our patrons on Patreon who keep the questions coming!
感谢提问,感谢Patreon赞助人的提问!
If you have a burning question, or if you'd like to help us keep answering them, you can go to patreon.com/scishow.
如果你想提问或是帮助提问,请登录patreon.com/scishow