(单词翻译:单击)
They say, 'Time is money,' but what does one really have to do with the other?
人们都说:“时间就是金钱。”但是,他们两者之间到底有什么联系呢?
Meet Sheila! She just got her first big bonus.
这是茜拉!她刚刚拿到了她的第一笔奖金。
Sheila knows exactly what she wants to do with that money.
茜拉很清楚的知道她要怎么花这一笔钱。
She's had her eye on a nice convertible for a while now.
她看中一辆漂亮的敞篷车有一段时间了。
Yes, Sheila, that's a nice car!
是的,茜拉,这是一辆很好的车!
Oh, looks like Sheila is a little short.
噢,看起来茜拉的钱不太够。
But wait! She has an idea. Sheila is a smart cookie.
但是,等一等!茜拉有办法。茜拉是一个聪明的女孩儿。
She knows that if she deposits the money for a year instead of buying the car today, she will earn interest.
茜拉知道,如果她今天先不买车,而是把钱存入银行一年,她会得到一些利息。
Then she'll be able to afford the car.
然后她就卖得起车了。
Sheila knows that the value of her deposit one year from now will equal the money deposited today plus the interest earned.
茜拉知道,一年之后,这些钱的总价值相当于今天所存的钱加上未来一年积攒的利息。
We call Sheila's money deposited today the present value of money.
我们把茜拉今天存入银行的钱叫做现值。
And the value of Sheila's deposit next year is the future value of money.
明年茜拉从银行取出的钱叫做终值。
What connects one to the other?
是什么把两者联系在一起呢?
The interest rate, also known as the time value of money.
利率,也被认为是金钱的时间价值。
Now, with a little bit of rearranging, we can figure out the future value of Sheila's money with this equation.
现在,只要改变一下数值,我们可以通过这个公式,计算出茜拉的钱的终值。
So in a year, the future value will be $11,000.
一年之后,这笔钱的终值是11000美元。
Well, it's been a year! And there's Sheila, with enough money to buy the car.
好了,一年过去了!茜拉现在有足够的钱去买那辆车。
Sheila really understands the future value of money.
茜拉真是懂得利用钱的终值。
Now, I just hope she understands the speed limit!
我希望她也同样明白什么是限速!
Now, meet Timmy. He's also gotten his bonus.
现在,让我们来认识一下蒂米。他也拿到了一笔奖金。
The money seems to be burning a hole in his pocket.
蒂米是一个很能烧钱的人。
Yes, Timmy, that's a nice car that will surely impress people.
是的,蒂米,这辆车绝对能吸引眼球。
Oh! Looks like you're a little short.
噢,看起来你的钱不太够。
Maybe you can follow Sheila's example.
你也许可以学习茜拉。
You see, Timmy, just like Sheila, after the first year, you'll have $11,000.
你看,蒂米,就像茜拉这样,一年以后,你会拥有11000美元。
But Timmy, that is still not enough to buy that fancy car.
但是蒂米,这些钱还是不够买豪车。
Why don't you leave the money deposited for another year?
不如你把钱再多存一年吧?
Let's see how your deposit will be doing in two years.
让我们看看两年后这笔钱会发生什么变化。
With a little bit of rearranging, it becomes the value of your money next year, times one plus the interest rate.
只要稍微重新计算一下,把原值乘以1加上利率,就可以得到一年后这笔钱的价值。
We can then convert the future value one year from now to the present value times one plus the interest rate.
然后把得到的数值再乘以1加上利率,可以得到两年以后的价值。
We can even simplify this further by just squaring the value of one plus the interest rate.
我们甚至只需要通过计算1加利率的平方来进一步的简化这个过程。
Sorry, Timmy, you'll have more money after two years, but you still can't afford the car!
不好意思,蒂米,虽然两年后你会有更多的钱,但你还是买不起那辆车!
I don't know how many more years you'll have to wait, but I can tell you one way we can figure it out.
我不知道你还得等多少年,但是我可以告诉你其中一个计算的方法。
Do you see that little number two in the equation?
你看到公式里那个小小的数字2了吗?
Any number that you put in there is the number of years that you are waiting, also known as the period.
那个数字代表了你还需要等待几年,也被叫做周期。
Sure, Timmy, we can see how much you'll have in five years.
没问题,蒂米,我们可以看看五年后你会有多少钱。
Let's connect future value and present value across five years.
让我们用五年的时间将终值和现值联系起来。
Let's watch the period increase from two to five. After 5 years, you'll have $16,105.10.
将周期从二增加到五。五年之后,你会有16105.10美元
Sorry, Timmy, you have to wait a little longer.
对不起,蒂米,你还需要再等久一点。
10 years? Yeah! Let's see if you'll be able to buy the car then. Not quite.
10年?好的!让我们看看到那时你能不能买这辆车。还差一点。
Well, Timmy, it looks like you'll need 26 years to afford this car.
蒂米,看起来,你需要26年的时间才能买得起这辆车。
You should ask Sheila for a ride to the beach.
你应该问问茜拉能不能载你去海滩。
Maybe a bicycle will suit you better? I hear the bus is pretty cheap!
也许,自行车更适合你?我知道公交车也特别的便宜!