(单词翻译:单击)
Hi. My name's Sarah, and I've been priced out of the housing market.
嗨。我叫莎拉,在住房市场中,我已经买不起房了。
In fact, I'm one of the majority of my generation who can't afford a home.
事实上,在我这个世代中,大部分的人都买不起房,而我只是其中之一。
And in 2017, home ownership amongst young Australians has fallen to the lowest level in recorded history.
2017年,澳洲年轻人拥有房产的人数比例跌至有史以来的最低点。
So, foolishly or otherwise, I decided to build my own home.
所以,不知道是笨还是怎样,我决定要建造自己的房子。
But the prognosis wasn't good there, either.
但很不幸的,事情也并不如我意。
Architects cater for the one percent, builders are scarce, so service is inconsistent and prices are high.
建筑师只服务1%的人,建商也不多,所以供需并不一致,设计费用很高。
The single biggest investment in my life, and I was amazed how little self-determination, choice and, ultimately, control I had.
这是我人生中最大的一次投资,我很讶异,我的自主权、选择性及基本的掌控权竟是如此之少。
What's more, I was doubly surprised at how vulnerable this made me feel. Frankly, I felt trapped.
不只如此,让我更惊讶的是,这件事让我感到很受伤。坦白说,我感觉被困住了。
So, I reflected on this for quite some time.
所以,我花了不少时间在反思这件事。
And I realized what I wanted was democratized design and construction.
我了解到,我所想要的是将设计和建造大众化。
And that led to me asking one very simple question: What is building a house? What is it?
这让我衍生出了另一个非常简单的问题:盖房是什么?要怎么盖?
Well, it turns out that building a house is making a series of decisions,
结果我发现,建造一间房子就是要做出一连串的决策,
some with physical consequences, within a defined set of parameters.
有些在定义好的参数内产生出实质的结果。
Now, having worked in software applications for some time now, this all sounded very familiar to me.
我做软件应用已经有好一段时间了,这些对我来说耳熟能详。
I also couldn't understand why we build on-site.
我也无法理解为什么我们要在现场建造。
No other major assembly in our lives is constructed like this.
我们生活当中,很多东西也不是在现场组装的。
Your car doesn't come to you in pieces with an extra 10 percent just in case,
你买的车并不会是一片一片的,不须要多准备10%的材料以防万一,
to be assembled at the mercy of the elements. So why should your house?
但盖房得预留10%的耗损。所以你的房子有必要这样盖吗?
So I built a computer game. A game that allows you to design your home and have it delivered to you.
所以,我打造了一个计算机游戏。这个游戏让你能设计出你自己的住所,并且将其发送到你的位置。
A game that puts the home builder back at the center of the largest purchase in their life, elevating them from spectator to player.
这个游戏把自建房者放回到他们的人生中最巨额之购买的中心位置,将他们从旁观者提升到玩家。
A game with full visibility of the costs and environmental impact of each new attribute you add.
这个游戏会把你新增加的物件,性质完整地呈现出所需的成本及其对环境的冲击。
Using modular components, players select items from their library and drag them into their world.
用模块元件的方式,玩家可以从他们的收藏库中选择物件,拖曳到他们的世界中。
Each item, be it a wall, a solar battery or even an armchair,
每个物件,不论是一面墙壁、一个太阳能电池或甚至一张扶手椅,
contains all of the information for the system to calculate costs, environmental impact and even a happiness tally for the player.
都包含所有的必要信息,让系统可以计算成本、环境冲击甚至快乐指数,给玩家参考。
Eighty-three percent of home builders said that next to cost,
有83%的自己建房的人说,除了成本之外,
environmentally friendly features were the most important things to them.
对他们而言最重要的就是绿化环保了。
So out of the gate, homes are integrated with solar systems. Born green.
所以,从一开始的设计,住所就是和太阳能系统整合在一起的。就是绿色环保的。
Sustainable housing is often associated with wealth and affluence, but that shouldn't be the case.
永续住房通常和财富及富裕有关,但不应该是如此的。
In fact, truly sustainable housing should be available to everyone and affordable for all.
事实上,真正永续的住房应该是人人可得,大家都买得起的。
So, I had found a way to get the control back that I was craving and give it to others.
所以,我发现了一种方式,可以取回我渴望的控制权,并将之给予其他人。
But something was still bugging me, something was still keeping me up at night.
但我心头还是有困扰,我晚上还是睡不好。
What about those people who have genuinely no control over where they live?
有些人真的就是无法控制他们所居住的地方,他们怎么办?
Every hour -- in the space of your intermission -- 4,000 new homes are needed in the world.
每小时--等同于你休息空档的时间--全世界就需要4000间的新住所。
Wrap your head around that number. That's an astonishing 35 million homes globally, every year.
用力想想那个数字。算起来,全球每年就需要3500万间新住所,十分惊人。
And in Australia alone, we have a shortfall of 250,000 dwellings.
光在澳洲,我们的住房短缺就有25万间。
And in addition to that, we have 190,000 families on the assisted-housing wait list; families in need of a home.
除此之外,我们还有19万户家庭在资助住屋的等候名单上;这些家庭都需要一个家。
Between now and 2050, when the global population is set to move from today's 7.6 billion to tomorrow's 9.8 billion people,
从现在到2050年之间,全球人口预计会从现今的76亿人提升至未来的98亿人,
hundreds of millions of people will experience security, health and safety issues.
将会有数亿人会遇到保安、健康及安全议题。
Imagine if you can not feeling secure in your home
想象一下,如果你在自家里都无法感到安全
not from crime, not from theft, but from the fact that the building you're in
不是因为犯罪,不是因为偷窃,而是因为你所身处的建物
the building you're in might not be structurally sound or built from nontoxic components or meet local natural disaster standards.
你所身处的建物有可能结构不建全或者不是用无毒元件所建造的,或者不符合当地的天然灾害标准。
It's the 21st century. And this just isn't good enough.
现在是21世纪。目前的状况还不够好。
What if -- what if -- we could restore control and dignity to those individuals by giving them a home,
要是...要是我们能够恢复那些人的控制权和尊严呢?做法是给予他们一个住所,
but not just any home: their home, and a home of their design.
但不是随便一个住所:是他们的家,他们自己设计的家。
We're currently adapting our game so that when a player builds a home, they're contributing to a home for someone in need.
我们还在修改游戏,要让玩家每当建造一间住房时,就可以把他们的设计贡献给需要的人。
And I know this sounds like a lofty goal, and it is ridiculously ambitious,
我知道这听起来是个崇高的目标,很荒谬的雄心壮志,
but today, our current operating model operates at a ten-to-one ratio.
但如今,我们目前在运作的模型是以十比一的比例在运作的。
So for every 10 homes we build, we can build a home for someone in need.
我们每建造十栋住所,就能为需要的某个人建一栋。
This is made possible because today, with design for manufacture and assembly,
我们之所以能办到,是因为现今,制造和组装的设计
which uses light gauge steel frame construction, shipped and assembled on-site,
用的是轻钢架结构,运到现场组装起来,
we can decrease construction costs by 20 percent and environmental waste by 15 percent,
这样我们就能把建设成本降低20%,把环境废物减少15%,
saving time, money and keeping tons of waste out of landfills.
节省时间和金钱,并为掩埋场减少数吨的废物。
The power in modular construction is that you can build year-round with confidence in your costs,
模块式建筑的厉害之处在于一整年的任何时间都可建造,而且有信心能不超出预算成本,
in your quality, and in your delivery date, in your build date.
盖出你要的质量,并在你希望的完工日前完工。
Now, wouldn't that be crazy? Wouldn't that be great?
那样不是很疯狂吗?那样不是很棒吗?
But -- that doesn't get me to my goal. My goal is one-for-one.
但...那样并没有达到我的目标。我的目标是一比一。
So I've been traveling the world, looking at different alternatives of construction 3-D printing,
所以我不断造访世界各地,寻找不同的3D打印建设替代方案,
trying to find technology that will help me deliver on my ambition.
试图找到能协助我实现野心的技术。
3-D printing is so exciting and so promising, offering a 40 percent reduction in cost and near zero waste.
3D打印让人很兴奋,且很理想,它能让成本降低40%,且几乎不会产生废物。
And this is just to name a few,
这还只是一小部分,
but some of the really exciting innovations happening all over the world are happening in Italy, France, Dubai and Australia.
全世界有一些很让人兴奋的创新正在发生,发生在意大利、法国、迪拜以及澳大利亚。
And they use robotic arms to print everything from solid stone to concrete, to wax.
他们用机械手臂来做所有的打印,从实心的石头、混凝土到蜡。
In Italy, they have developed a technique using sorel cement.
在意大利,他们已经发展出了一项用索雷尔水泥的技术。
Sorel cement was originally invented in 1867, and it's the beautiful chemical marriage of magnesium oxide and local sand,
索雷尔水泥早在1867年就被发明出来,它是氧化镁和当地的沙土进行化学混合而成的美好产物,
which they can now use to print solid stone walls.
现在可以用来打印出实心的石墙。
And in France, they have a regulator-approved although still experimental process
在法国,有一种流程,虽然还在实验阶段,但已经被管理机构核准,
where they print two parallel tracks of foam insulation and pour concrete in the middle to create solid stone.
这个流程是用两道平行的泡沫材料绝缘轨道,把混凝土注入其中,来创造出实心的石头。
And in Dubai, sitting at the foot of those two glorious Emirates Towers, is a vision of the future in the middle of the desert.
在迪拜,有两座朱美拉阿联酒店大楼坐落在沙漠当中,象征着未来建筑的远景。
They've got their experimental office of the future,
他们有个实验性的未来办公室,
which is constructed using 3-D printed concrete which was printed in China and shipped and assembled on location in Dubai.
用3D打印的混凝土建造,打印是在中国进行的,接着运送到迪拜,在当地组装。
And not to be outdone, in Australia, we've pioneered an amazing technology
在澳大利亚,我们也不示弱,开辟了一项了不起的技术,
that allows you to print wax molds and pour concrete over the top of them,
让你能够打印出蜡模具,把混凝土注入到模具上,
allowing you to create really intricately beautiful and cost-effective facades
就可以创造出具有复杂之美及成本效益的外观,
that you can see in person the next time you travel the London Underground.
下次你搭伦敦地铁的时候就可以亲眼看到。
But all of these things are tools -- hammer of tomorrow, if you like.
但这些东西都是工具,也可以说是明日的建筑工具。
And the one common thread that connects all these things is computer-aided design.
贯穿所有这些东西的,就是计算机辅助的设计。
We will need models to build using these techniques, models like the ones being developed by players in our game.
我们需要运用这些技术建造出来的模型,就像我们的游戏中玩家开发出来的模型。
I want to put every person that wants one in a home of their own design. And there are many more applications still.
我想要让每一个想要有个家的人都能设计出他们自己的家。且还有许多其他的应用。
We could usher in an entirely new empowered experience of special needs or aged-care accommodation.
我们可以开创出具有全新体验、依特殊需求设计的老人关护住所。
And we could provide rapid, on-site assistance in emergency housing situations.
而在紧急的住房情况中,我们能够提供快速、现场的协助。
In the words of one of my players, "I want to take matters into my own hands and live by example." Thank you.
引述我的其中一位玩家的说法:“我想要靠自己的双手来做事,并以身作则。”谢谢。