如何建立和重建信任
日期:2018-07-21 14:33

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

I want to talk to you about how to build and rebuild trust,
我想要和大家讨论的是如何建立和重新建立信任,
because it's my belief that trust is the foundation for everything we do,
因为我相信,我们所做的一切都是以信任为基础,
and that if we can learn to trust one another more, we can have unprecedented human progress.
而且如果我们能够学会更相信别人,我们就能达成史无先例的人类进展。
But what if trust is broken? What if your CEO is caught on video, disparaging an employee?
但如果信任被破坏了呢?如果你公司的首席执行官被逮到蔑视员工,且有影片为证,怎么办?
What if your employees experience a culture of bias, exclusion and worse?
如果你的员工遇到偏见、排挤,或更糟的文化,怎么办?
What if there's a data breach, and it feels an awful lot like a cover-up than seriously addressing it?
如果发生资料泄漏,且感觉起来非常象是在掩饰,不是要认真处理此问题,怎么办?
And most tragically, what if a technological fail leads to the loss of human life?
最悲剧的是,如果技术上的错误造成了人命的损失,怎么办?
If I was giving this talk six months ago, I would have been wearing an Uber T-shirt.
如果我做这场演讲是在六个月前,我会穿着Uber的T恤来。
I'm a Harvard Business School professor,
我是哈佛商学院的教授,
but I was super attracted to going to an organization that was metaphorically and perhaps quite literally on fire.
但我超级想要去一间,可说是,也许真的是,如火中烧的组织。
I had read everything that was written in the newspaper, and that was precisely what drew me to the organization.
我把报纸的内容通通都读过了,正因为如此,我才被这间组织吸引。
This was an organization that had lost trust with every constituent that mattered.
这间组织失去了所有重要成员的信任。
But there's a word about me that I should share. My favorite trait is redemption.
但我应该和大家分享一个关于我的词汇。我最喜欢的特质是救赎。
I believe that there is a better version of us around every corner,
我相信,在每一个转角,我们都能遇见最好的自己,
and I have seen firsthand how organizations and communities and individuals change at breathtaking speed.
我亲眼见过组织、社区以及个人如何用惊人的速度改变。
I went to Uber with the hopes that a turnaround there could give license to the rest of us who might have narrower versions of their challenges.
我去Uber希望能够扭转局面,希望我们其他人得以缩小所面对挑战的范围。
But when I got to Uber, I made a really big mistake.
到Uber之后,我犯了一个大错。
I publicly committed to wearing an Uber T-shirt every day until every other employee was wearing an Uber T-shirt.
我公开承诺每天都要穿Uber T恤,直到所有其他员工都穿上Uber T恤为止。
I had clearly not thought that through.
很显然,我没想清楚就承诺了。
It was 250 days of wearing an Uber T-shirt.
结果250天都穿着Uber T恤。
Now I am liberated from that commitment, as I am back at HBS,
现在我已经从那承诺解脱了,我回到哈佛商学院,
and what I'd like to do is share with you how far I have taken that liberty, which, it's baby steps,
而我想要和各位分享的是我带着这份自由走了多远,这距离是用宝宝步伐来衡量的,
but I would just say I'm on my way.
但我只会说,我正在走这段路。
Now, trust, if we're going to rebuild it, we have to understand its component parts.
如果我们要重新建立信任的话,我们得要了解它的组成。
The component parts of trust are super well understood. There's three things about trust.
信任的组成是非常清楚的。信任有三个重点。
If you sense that I am being authentic, you are much more likely to trust me.
如果你感觉到我很真实,你就非常有可能会相信我。
If you sense that I have real rigor in my logic, you are far more likely to trust me.
如果你感觉到我的逻辑很严谨,你更有可能会相信我。
And if you believe that my empathy is directed towards you, you are far more likely to trust me.
如果你相信我同理的对象就是你,你更有可能会相信我。
When all three of these things are working, we have great trust.
当这三个重点都发挥作用时,我们就会有很棒的信任。
But if any one of these three gets shaky, if any one of these three wobbles, trust is threatened.
但如果三项当中有一项不稳固了,如果三项当中有一项在动摇了,信任就会受到威胁。
Now here's what I'd like to do. I want each of us to be able to engender more trust tomorrow, literally tomorrow, than we do today.
以下是我想要做的。我想要我们每个人明天都能获得更多的信任,真的,就是明天,要比今天得到更多信任。
And the way to do that is to understand where trust wobbles for ourselves and have a ready-made prescription to overcome it.
对我们自己来说,做法就是去了解信任是在哪里出现了动摇,并用现成的处方来克服它。
So that's what I would like to do together.
所以,那就是我希望能一起做的。
Would you give me some sense of whether or not you're here voluntarily?
各位是否能让我知道一下,你们是自愿来这里的吗?
Yeah. OK. Alright. Awesome. OK. So -- it's just super helpful feedback.
好,好极了。好,那...那是超有帮助的反馈。
So the most common wobble is empathy.
所以,最常见的动摇,是同理心。
The most common wobble is that people just don't believe that we're mostly in it for them,
最常见的动摇就是大家不愿相信有人会总为他们好,
and they believe that we're too self-distracted. And it's no wonder.
他们相信我们太自我分心了。这并不让人意外。
We are all so busy with so many demands on our time, it's easy to crowd out the time and space that empathy requires.
我们都好忙碌,好多事需要我们的时间,很容易就会把同理心所需要的时间和空间排挤掉。
For Dylan to be Dylan, that takes real time.
要让狄伦是狄伦,是需要真的花时间的。
And for us, if we have too much to do, we may not have that time.
对我们来说,若有太多事要做,我们可能就没有那样的时间。
But that puts us into a vicious cycle, because without revealing empathy, it makes everything harder.
但那就让我们陷入了恶性循环,因为没有表现出同理心,就会让一切更困难。
Without the benefit of the doubt of trust, it makes everything harder,
若没有信任感来相信对方无法证明的清白,一切会更困难,
and then we have less and less time for empathy, and so it goes.
接着我们能给予同理心的时间就更少了,以此类推。
So here's the prescription: identify where, when and to whom you are likely to offer your distraction.
所以,处方如下:找出哪里、何时,以及谁会让你想要分心。
That should trace pretty perfectly to when, where and to whom you are likely to withhold your empathy.
那应该就非常能够让你追溯到在哪里、从何时,以及谁让你想搁置同理心。
And if in those instances, we can come up with a trigger that gets us to look up,
如果在那样的情况下,你能够想出一种机制,让我们能抬头起来看,
look at the people right in front of us, listen to them, deeply immerse ourselves in their perspectives,
看着就在我们面前的人,倾听他们,让我们自己深深沉浸到他们的观点当中,
then we have a chance of having a sturdy leg of empathy.
那么我们就有机会能展现稳健的同理心。
And if you do nothing else, please put away your cell phone.
如果你没有其他事要做,请把你的手机收起来。
It is the largest distraction magnet yet to be made, and it is super difficult to create empathy and trust in its presence.
它是所有被创造出来的东西中,最会让人分心的,当有手机在的时候,非常难创造同理心和信任。
That takes care of the empathy wobblers.
这样就能处理好同理心出现的动摇。
Logic wobbles can come in two forms.
逻辑的动摇有两种形式。
It's either the quality of your logic or it's your ability to communicate the logic.
可能是你逻辑思维的质量,也可能是你沟通交流逻辑的能力。
Now if the quality of your logic is at risk, I can't really help you with that.
如果问题出在你的逻辑的质量,我实在帮不了你。
It's like, not in this much time.
在这点时间内没办法。
But fortunately, it's often the case that our logic is sound,
但幸运的是,通常问题在于我们的逻辑听起来是什么样子,
but it's our ability to communicate the logic that is in jeopardy.
处于危险当中的是我们沟通传达逻辑的能力。
Super fortunately, there's a very easy fix to this.
幸运地是,有种很简单的方式可以解决这个问题。
If we consider that there are two ways to communicate in the world,
如果在这个世界上,沟通的方式只有两种,
and Harvard Business School professors are known for two-by-twos -- nonsense, it's the triangle that rocks.
哈佛商学院教授最知名的就是用二乘二的表--胡说,三角形才是最厉害的。

如何建立和重建信任

If we consider that there are two ways to communicate in the world,
如果在这个世界上,沟通的方式只有两种:
and the first one is when you take us on a journey, a magnificent journey that has twists and turns and mystery and drama,
第一种是,你带我们踏上一段旅程,一段壮丽的旅程,有着许多转折,有着神秘性与戏剧性,
until you ultimately get to the point, and some of the best communicators in the world communicate just like this.
一直到最终的目的地为止,世界上一些最棒的沟通就是用像这样的方式进行的。
But if you have a logic wobble, this can be super dangerous.
但如果你的逻辑是动摇的,这就会变得非常危险。
So instead, I implore you, start with your point in a crisp half-sentence, and then give your supporting evidence.
所以,我反而要恳求各位,一开始先用干净利落的句子来讲你的论点,接着提出支持的证据。
This means that people will be able to get access to our awesome ideas,
这就表示,大家可以接触到我们很棒的点子,
and just as importantly, if you get cut off before you're done ... ladies...
同样重要的是,如果你在说完之前就被打断...女士们...
If you get cut off before you're done, you still get credit for the idea,
如果你在说完之前就被打断,点子还是归功于你,
as opposed to someone else coming in and snatching it from you. You just gave me goosebumps.
而不会是其他人跑来把点子给偷走。你们让我起鸡皮疙瘩。
The third wobble is authenticity, and I find it to be the most vexing.
第三,对于真实性的动摇,我觉得它是最让人伤脑筋的。
We as a human species can sniff out in a moment, literally in a moment, whether or not someone is being their authentic true self.
我们人类只要一片刻,真的就是一片刻,就能嗅出一个人是否呈现出真正的自己。
So in many ways, the prescription is clear.
所以,在许多意义上,处方很明确。
You don't want to have an authenticity wobble? Be you. Great.
你不希望真实性被动摇?那就做自己。好极了。
And that is super easy to do when you're around people who are like you.
当你身边都是和你很相似的人时,要做到这点很容易。
But if you represent any sort of difference, the prescription to "be you" can be super challenging.
但如果你代表着某种差异,“做自己”这个处方可能会非常有挑战性。
I have been tempted at every step of my career, tempted personally and tempted by coaching of others, to mute who I am in the world.
在我职业生涯中,我一路上都会受到诱惑,受到个人的诱惑以及他人指导的诱惑,不要在这个世界上表达出真正的我。
I'm a woman of super strong opinions, with really deep convictions, direct speech.
我是个主见超强的女性,信念很深,说话很直。但针对其中两项动摇,我们得以 找到超有效、超快速的处理方式。
I have a magnificent wife, and together, we have such crazy ambition.
我有个很棒的太太,在一起时,我们有很疯狂的野心。
I prefer men's clothes and comfortable shoes. Thank you, Allbirds.
我偏好穿男性化的服装和舒适的鞋子。谢谢你,Allbirds。
In some contexts, this makes me different.
在某些情况中,这点就会让我与人不同。
I hope that each person here has the beautiful luxury of representing difference in some context in your life.
我希望这里的每一个人都能有美好奢华的机会来表达自己人生中某些差异的情况。
But with that privilege comes a very sincere temptation to hold back who we are,
但若有那样的特权,就表示也会受到真诚诱惑,让我们不展现出真正的自我,
and if we hold back who we are, we're less likely to be trusted.
而若我们不展现出真正的自我,我们就不太可能会被信任。
And if we're less likely to be trusted, we're less likely to be given stretch assignments.
如果我们不太可能被信任,就不太可能会有人想要给予我们延展型任务。
And without those stretch assignments, we're less likely to get promoted,
若没有延展型任务,我们就不太可能升迁,
and so on and so on until we are super depressed by the demographic tendencies of our senior leadership.
以此类推,直到我们对于资深领导阶层的人口统计倾向感到超级沮丧为止。
And it all comes back to our being our authentic selves.
最终都还是要回归到做最真实的自己。
So here's my advice. Wear whatever makes you feel fabulous.
所以,我的建议如下。穿让你感觉很棒的服装。
Pay less attention to what you think people want to hear from you and far more attention to what your authentic, awesome self needs to say.
不用太注意你认为别人想要听你说些什么,但要学会注意你最真实的、最棒的自我想要说些什么。
And to the leaders in the room, it is your obligation to set the conditions that not only make it safe for us to be authentic
对于这间屋子中的领导人来说,你的义务是要让环境条件不仅让我们能感到做真实的自己是安全的,
but make it welcome, make it celebrated, cherish it for exactly what it is,
同时也是受欢迎的,是被赞颂的,珍惜它真正的样子,
which is the key for us achieving greater excellence than we have ever known is possible.
这就是让我们能超越我们认为可能的范围,达到出类拔萃的关键。
So let's go back to Uber. What happened at Uber?
所以,咱们回来谈Uber。在Uber发生了什么事?
When I got there, Uber was wobbling all over the place.
当我到那里时,Uber整个企业都在动摇。
Empathy, logic, authenticity were all wobbling like crazy.
同理心、逻辑、真实性通通都在严重动摇。
But we were able to find super effective, super quick fixes for two of the wobbles.
但针对其中两项动摇,我们得以找到超有效、超快速的处理方式。
I'll give you an illustration of empathy.
我来说明一下同理心的部分。
In the meetings at Uber, it was not uncommon for people to be texting one another ... about the meeting.
在Uber的会议上,经常会看见有人传短信给别人...说会议的事。
I had never seen anything like it.
我从来没有见过那样的情况。
It may have done many things, but it did not create a safe, empathetic environment.
它可能有很多作用,但并没有创造出一个有同理心的安全环境。
The solution though, super clear: technology, off and away.
不过,解决方案超级明确:科技,关机并远离。
And that forced people to look up, to look at the people in front of them, to listen to them,
强迫大家抬头看,看他们面前的人,倾听他们,
to immerse themselves in their perspectives and to collaborate in unprecedented ways.
将自己沉浸到对方的观点当中,以前所未有的方式来合作。
Logic was equally wobbly, and this was because the hypergrowth of the organization
逻辑也同样在动摇,原因是因为该组织的狂飙级成长,
meant that people, managers were getting promoted again and again and again.
意味着大家、经理,会得到升迁,一而再,再而三地升迁。
Soon, they were put in positions that they had no business being in.
没多久,他们就会被放到他们不应担任的职位。
Their positions outstripped their capability, and it was not their fault.
他们的职位高于他们的能力,这不是他们的错。
The solution: a massive influx of executive education that focused specifically on logic, on strategy and leadership.
解决方案:大量导入主管教育训练,把焦点特别放在逻辑、策略以及领导能力。
It gave people the rigor of the quality of their logic,
这样能够让大家的逻辑更严谨精确,
and it turned a whole lot of triangles, right-side up, so people were able to communicate effectively with one another.
且能把许多三角形转过来,把对的那一端转向上,这么一来,大家彼此就能做有效的沟通。
The last one, authenticity, I'll say it's still mighty wobbly,
最后一项,真实性,我认为它还是非常动摇,
but honestly, that doesn't make Uber very different from all of the other companies I've seen in Silicon Valley and beyond.
但老实说,那也不会让Uber跟我所见过硅谷及硅谷之外的其他公司有多大的不同。
It is still much easier to coach people to fit in.
指导大家融入仍然容易许多。
It is still much easier to reward people when they say something that you were going to say,
当有人能说出你打算说的话时,去奖励他是较容易的,
as opposed to rewarding people when they say something entirely different than what you were going to say.
相对之下,若有人说出的话和你打算说的话完全不同时,还愿意奖赏他就不容易了。
But when we figure out this, when we figure out how to celebrate difference
但当我们想通了这点,当我们想通如何赞颂差异,
and how to let people bring the best version of themselves forward, well holy cow, is that the world I want my sons to grow up in.
以及如何让大家展现出自己最好的一面,老天!我多希望我的孩子能在这样的世界长大。
And with the collection of people here,
在座的各位,
it would be a privilege to lock arms with you and go ahead and rebuild trust in every corner of the globe. Thank you very much.
能和你们紧密合作是一项殊荣,让我们一起在世界的每个角落重建信任。非常谢谢。

分享到