(单词翻译:单击)
This is the California State Prison at Solano.
这是位于索拉诺县的加利福利亚州监狱 。
From the outside looking in, this looks like many other prisons in the US.
从外面看进去,这里和美国其他地方的监狱并无区别 。
But within these walls is an oasis of green.
然而,这些高墙之内隐藏着一片绿洲 。
I think people take family for granted. You take your life for granted, your health for granted.
在我看来,大家觉得家庭是理所当然的,生活是理所当然的,健康也是理所当然的 。
There are many aspects of life that people take for granted, and others aren't so fortunate, you know.
人们把生活中的很多事情都当作了理所当然的事情,其他的事情就没有那么走运了,你知道吗 。
And being in the garden when you realize that you have to live in harmony with other individuals and nature in general.
到花园里去,你会意识到和其他人,和整个大自然和谐相处的重要性 。
I think it's critically important, and when you go against that, then you suffer consequences.
我觉得这种和谐是极其重要的,因为如果反其道而行之,你就会吃不了兜着走 。
so I really do value life itself, and I can't honestly say that in my past, I had that mental state.
所以我打心眼儿里敬畏生命,而且,我可以很坦诚地说,过去我有过精神病 。
This small corner of nature was established by the Inside Garden Program, an initiative that utilizes horticultural therapy for cognitive and emotional reform.
这个自然气息十足的小角落是“心灵花园计划” 开辟的,该计划倡导利用园艺疗法来改善认知和情感 。
Before I came to Inside Garden, I still had a lot of like a chip on my shoulder.
在我参加心灵花园项目之前,我还有很严重的……就是脾气很爆 。
When someone would speak to me, either in a very loud noise or voice, I would assume in my mind that they were being abusive towards me.
别人跟我说话只要声音很大或者很吵,我就会觉得他们是在骂我 。
So I would become angry, but Inside Garden has taught me that responsible for my actions.
我就会很生气,但心灵花园教会我要对自己的行为负责 。
So I have to treat others the way I would like to be treated.
我希望别人怎么对待我,我就应该怎么对待别人 。
In prison there's a lot of anxiety about being attacked. There's fear of other people.
在监狱里,大家都会非常担心自己会被他人攻击,大家相互之间都很害怕别人 。
The part of the brain that is firing when we're either angry or anxious,
我们生气或者焦虑的时候,大脑中非常活跃的部分
it's the temporal lobe right down the sort of central part of the forehead.
是大致位于额头中间的颞叶脑 。
And there's another part of the brain in the front right over the eyes which you call the prefrontal cortex.
而大脑前半部分,眼睛正上方还有一个叫做前额皮质的部位 。
When people are subjected to one kind of behavior, for instance, their anger and anxiety mount and the temporal lobe becomes enlarged.
当人们遭受到某种行为,愤怒值和焦虑值都上升的时候,颞叶脑的体积就会变大 。
Meanwhile, the prefrontal cortex is diminishing
与此同时,前额皮质的容量就会变小 。
and balance between the two, the strong emotions take control,
还有这两者之间的平衡,人就会被非常激烈的情绪支配,
and therefore the person becomes more angry, or their temper flares.
人就会变得更加生气,甚至大发雷霆 。
And all of this is not good for post-prison adjustment.
所有这些都不利于出狱后的恢复 。
But by incorporating nature, meditation and hands-on gardening skills,
但是,通过亲近自然,冥想,亲自体验园艺,
the Insight Garden Initiative provides an opportunity to channel fresh mental pathways and plant new seeds.
心灵花园倡议为引导全新的心灵之路,种下新的希望提供了契机 。
Outside the gate, there's a general, like, lack of concern for each other, you know, you're in an environment that is largely negative.
外面的世界普遍缺乏对他人的考虑,大家身处的是一个普遍消极的环境 。
When you come inside the gate, it's like a a place of sanctuary.
走进我们这扇门,这里可以说是一片圣地 。
This is the place where I can relax, and completely be myself, you know,
在这里我很放松,整个身心都很自在 。
And I don't mind being vulnerable with the other participants.
而且我不介意在他人面前表现出我柔弱的一面 。
Because honesty and integrity, all that I believe, is important if you're going to participate and get anything from this program.
因为如果你想参加这个项目并从中有所收获的话,诚实、正直这些所有我信仰的东西就很重要 。