在等候死刑执行时 我如何取得了法律学位
日期:2018-06-11 16:33

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

I want to tell you a story about Manson.
我想告诉各位一个关于曼森的故事。
Manson was this 28-year-old interior designer, a father to a loving daughter, and a son
曼森是这位28岁的室内设计师,有一个可爱的女儿和一个儿子,
who found himself behind bars due to a broken-down judicial system.
他因为出了问题的司法制度而入狱。
He was framed for a murder he didn't commit and was sentenced to the gallows.
他被诬告一件不是他犯下的谋杀,因而被判入狱。
There were two victims of this murder -- the victim who actually died in the murder and Manson,
这件谋杀案有两名受害者--真正死于谋杀的受害者,以及曼森,
who had been sentenced to prison for an offense which he did not commit.
他被判入狱,背负不是他所犯的罪过。
He was locked up in a cell, eight by seven, with 13 other grown-up men for 23 and a half hours a day.
他被锁在一间大小为7x8的牢房中,和十三名成年男子关在一起,一天关23.5小时。
Food was not guaranteed that you'd get.
也不保证能有食物。
And I remember yesterday, as I walked into the room where I was,
我记得昨天,当我走进我所在的房间,
I imagined the kind of cell that Manson would have been living in.
我想象着曼森所住的牢房。
Because the toilet -- The row of the small rooms that were there were slightly bigger than the eight-by-seven cell.
因为厕所--那里有一列小房间,大小比8x7的牢房稍大一点点。
But being in that cell as he awaited the executioner
但在牢房里等着行刑手,
because in prison, he did not have a name -- Manson was known by a number.
因为在监狱里,他没有名字--曼森只是一个号码。
He was just a statistic. He did not know how long he would wait.
他只是一个统计数字。他不知道他要等多久。
The wait could have been a minute, the executioner could have come the next minute,
等待时间可能是一分钟,行刑手可能下一分钟就来了,
the next day, or it could have taken 30 years.
可能是隔天才来,也可能要等三十年。
The wait had no end. And in the midst of the excruciating pain, the mental torture,
等候没有终点。在极度的痛苦当中,在心理折磨中,
the many unanswered questions that Manson faced, he knew he was not going to play the victim.
曼森所面对的许多未被解答的问题,他知道他不要扮演受害者。
He refused to play the role of the victim. He was angry at the justice system that had put him behind bars.
他拒绝扮演受害者的角色。他对司法体制把他打入大牢很愤怒。
But he knew the only way he could change that justice system or help other people get justice was not to play the victim.
但他知道,他能改变那司法体制的唯一方式,或协助其他人得到正义的方式,就是不要扮演受害者。
Change came to Manson when he decided to embrace forgiveness for those who had put him in prison.
当曼森决定要拥抱宽恕,原谅那些把他关进来的人时,改变发生在他身上。
I speak that as a fact. Because I know who Manson is.
我说的是事实。因为我知道曼森是怎样的人。
I am Manson. My real name is Peter Manson Ouko.
我就是曼森。我的真名是彼得·曼森·欧可。
And after my conviction, after that awakening of forgiveness, I had this move to help change the system.
在我坚定信念之后,在宽恕的觉醒之后,我有了一项对策,要来协助改变这个体制。
I already decided I was not going to be a victim anymore.
我已经决定我不要再当受害者了。
But how was I going to help change a system
但我要如何协助改变一个体制,
that was bringing in younger inmates every day who deserve to be with their families?
而且是个每天都会把更年轻、应该和家人在一起的囚犯给送进来的体制?
So I started mobilizing my colleagues in prison, my fellow inmates,
所以我开始动员我监狱中的同事,我的狱友们,
to write letters and memoranda to the justice system, to the Judicial Service Commission,
写信和备忘录给司法体制,给司法服务委员会,
the numerous task forces that had been set up in our country, Kenya, to help change the constitution.
给在我们的国家,肯尼亚,设立来协助改变宪法的数个工作任务小组。
And we decided to grasp at those -- to clutch at those straws, if I may use that word
而我们决定要抓那些--抓住那些巨怪,如果我可以用这个词的话,
if only to make the justice system work, and work for all.
但愿能让司法体制能够有用,对所有人都有用。
Just about the same time, I met a young university graduate from the UK, called Alexander McLean.
大约在同一时间,我遇到了一位来自英国的年轻大学毕业生,名叫亚历山大·麦克林,
Alexander had come in with three or four of his colleagues from university in their gap year,
亚历山大和三、四个大学的同事,是在他们的空档年一起进来的,
and they wanted to help assist, set up a library in Kamiti Maximum Prison,
他们想要帮忙协助在卡米堤高度安全管理监狱中设立图书馆,
which if you Google, you will see is written as one of the 15 worst prisons in the world. That was then.
如果你去Google查,会发现它是世界上最糟的十五所监狱之一。那是当时。
But when Alexander came in, he was a young 20-year-old boy.
但当亚历山大来的时候,他是个年轻的20岁男孩。
And I was on death row at that time. And we took him under our wing.
我那时等着被执行死刑。我们照料、庇护他。
It was an honest trust issue. He trusted us, even though we were on death row.
那和诚实的信任有关。他相信我们,尽管我们都是死刑犯。
And through that trust, we saw him and his colleagues from the university
透过那份信任,我们看着他和他来自大学的同事
refurbish the library with the latest technology and set up the infirmary to very good standards
用最新的科技整修了图书馆,并把医务室做到非常高水平,
so that those of us falling sick in prison would not necessarily have to die in indignity.
所以我们当中若有人在监狱中生病,不见得要没有尊严地死去。
Having met Alexander, I had a chance, and he gave me the opportunity and the support,
遇见了亚历山大,让我有了机会,他给予我机会和支持,
to enroll for a university degree at the University of London.
注册伦敦大学攻读大学学位。

在等候死刑执行时 我如何取得了法律学位

Just like Mandela studied from South Africa, I had a chance to study at Kamiti Maximum Security Prison.
就像曼德拉从南非读书学习,我有机会在卡米堤高度安全管理监狱读书学习。
And two years later, I became the first graduate of the program from the University of London from within the prison system.
两年后,在伦敦大学的这个方案中,第一个在监狱体制中毕业的人就是我。
Having graduated, what happened next... Thank you.
毕业之后,接着发生的是...谢谢你们。
Having graduated, now I felt empowered.
毕业之后,现在我觉得有能力。
I was not going to play the helpless victim.
我不要扮演无助的受害者。
But I felt empowered not only to assist myself, to prosecute my own case,
我不只觉得有能力协助我自己,起诉我的案子,
but also to assist the other inmates who are suffering the similar injustices that have just been spoken about here.
同时协助我们刚刚在这里谈到的、同样也受到类似不公正问题所苦的狱友。
So I started writing legal briefs for them.
所以我开始为他们撰写诉讼案情摘要。
With my other colleagues in prison, we did as much as we could. That wasn't enough.
我和狱中的同事们能做多少就做多少。那还不够。
Alexander McLean and his team at the African Prisons Project decided to support more inmates.
亚历山大·麦克林和他在非洲监狱项目计划的团队决定要支持更多狱友。
And as I'm speaking to you today, there are 63 inmates and staff in the Kenya Prison Service
我现在在这里演讲时,有63位狱友以及肯尼亚监狱服务的工作人员
studying law at the University of London through distance learning.
透过远程学习,在伦敦大学研读法律。
These are changemakers who are being motivated not only to assist the most indolent in society,
这些造成改变的人不仅积极地去协助社会中最懒惰的人,
but also to help the inmates and others get access to justice.
也协助狱友以及其他人得到正义。
Down there in my prison cell, something kept stirring me.
在我的牢房中,有样东西一直激励着我。
The words of Martin Luther King kept hitting me.
马丁·路德·金博士的话一直冲击着我。
And he was always telling me, "Pete, if you can't fly, you can run.
他总是告诉我:“彼得,如果你不能飞,你可以跑。
And if you can't run, you can walk. But if you can't walk, then you can crawl.
如果你不能跑,你可以走。但如果你不能走,你可以爬。
But whatever it is, whatever it takes, just keep on moving."
不论是什么状况,不论要什么代价,只管继续前进。”
And so I had this urge to keep moving. I still have this urge to keep moving in whatever I do.
所以我有强烈的动力要继续前进。不论做什么,我都有强烈的动力要继续前进。
Because I feel the only way we can change our society, the only way we can change the justice system
因为我认为,我们能够改变社会的唯一方式,我们能够改变司法体制的唯一方式,
which has really improved in our country -- is to help get the systems right.
这真正改善我们国家的制度,就是协助去导正体制。
So, on 26th October last year, after 18 years in prison, I walked out of prison on presidential pardon.
所以,去年10月26日,在监狱中待了18年后,我得到总统赦免,离开了监狱。
I'm now focused on helping APP -- the African Prisons Project
我现在致力在协助APP,非洲监狱项目计划,
achieve its mandate of training and setting up the first law school and legal college behind bars.
达成它的使命:训练和设立第一所监狱中的法律学校及法学院。
Where we are going to train...
在那里,我们将会训练...
Where we are going to train inmates and staff not only to assist their fellow inmates,
在那里,我们将会训练狱友和工作人员,不只是去协助他们的狱友伙伴,
but to assist the entire wider society of the poor who cannot access legal justice.
也要协助整个更广大的贫穷社会,那些无法得到司法正义的人。
So as I speak before you today, I stand here in the full knowledge that we can all reexamine ourselves,
所以,今天我在这里演讲,我非常清楚了解,我们所有人都能够重新自我检视,
we can all reexamine our situations, we can all reexamine our circumstances and not play the victim narrative.
我们都能够重新检视我们的情形,我们都能够重新检视我们的境况,不要用受害者的方式来说故事。
The victim narrative will not take us anywhere. I was behind bars, yeah.
这种说故事方式不会有帮助。我曾坐过牢,是的。
But I never felt and I was not a prisoner.
但我从没感觉到过,且我不是个囚犯。
The basic thing I got to learn was that if I thought, and if you think, you can, you will.
我学到一件基本的事,那就是,如果我当时认为,并且如果你认为,你可以,你就会做到。
But if you sit thinking that you can't, you won't. It's as simple as that.
但如果你就坐着认为自己不行,你就做不到。就那么简单。
And so I'm encouraged by the peaceful revolutionaries I've heard on this stage.
所以,在这个舞台上演说的和平革命家们鼓励了我。
The world needs you now, the world needs you today.
世界现在就需要你,世界今天就需要你。
And as I finish my talk, I'd just like to ask each and every single one of you here,
在我演说的最后,我想要请在座的每一个人,
wonderful thinkers, changemakers, innovators, the wonderful global citizens we have at TED,
出色的思想家、推动改变的人、创新者、TED的出色的全球公民,
just remember the words of Martin Luther King.
请记住马丁·路德·金博士的话。
Let them continue ringing in your heart and your life.
让这段话持续在你心中及你人生中回响。
Whatever it is, wherever you are, whatever it takes, keep on moving. Thank you. Thank you.
不论是什么事,不论你在哪里,不论要付出什么代价,继续走下去。谢谢。谢谢。

分享到
重点单词
  • slightlyadv. 些微地,苗条地
  • issuen. 发行物,期刊号,争论点 vi. & vt 发行,流
  • embracev. 拥抱,包含,包围,接受,信奉 n. 拥抱
  • commissionn. 委员会,委托,委任,佣金,犯罪 vt. 委任,委托
  • motivatedadj. 有动机的;有积极性的 v. 使产生动机;激发…
  • legaladj. 法律的,合法的,法定的
  • helplessadj. 无助的,无依靠的
  • indignityn. 侮辱,轻蔑
  • indolentadj. 懒惰的,慢性的
  • achievev. 完成,达到,实现