我被领养的经历
日期:2018-05-31 16:00

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

How many of you are tired of seeing celebrities adopting kids from the African continent?
你们之中有多少人已经对那些从非洲领养小孩的明星而感到厌倦了?
Well, it's not all that bad. I was adopted. I grew up in rural Uganda, lost both my parents when I was very, very young.
嗯,那也不全是坏事。我就是被其中领养的一员。我在乌干达的郊区长大,在我很小的时候,我的父母就去世了。
And when my parents passed, I experienced all the negative effects of poverty,
在我父母离世之后,我经历了所有贫困带来的困难,
from homelessness, eating out of trash piles, you name it.
从无家可归,到捡食路边的垃圾,所有你能想得到的。
But my life changed when I got accepted into an orphanage.
但自从我被一家孤儿院收养,我的生活就发生了巨变。
Through one of those sponsor-an-orphan programs, I was sponsored and given an opportunity to acquire an education.
通过孤儿院的一个补助项目,我获得了接受教育的机会以及相应的资助。
I started off in Uganda. I went through school, and the way this particular program worked,
一开始是在乌干达。我去了学校念书,而根据这个项目的运作流程,
you finished high school and after high school, you go learn a trade
他们会在你读完高中以后,送你去学一门手艺,
to become a carpenter, a mechanic or something along those lines.
比如木匠,或者机修工,或者其他的一些专业技术。
My case was a little different.
而我的情况却有所不同。
The sponsor family that was sending these 25 dollars a month to this orphanage to sponsor me,
每个月我会在孤儿院收到25美元补助。这钱来自资助我的家庭,
which -- I had never met them -- said, "Well ... we would like to send you to college instead." Oh -- it gets better.
我从未见过他们,他们说,“我们希望资助你去上大学”。哦,那再好不过了。
And they said, "If you get the paperwork, we'll send you to school in America instead."
他们还说:“如果你能通过申请,我们会把你送到美国的大学读书。”
So with their help, I went to the embassy and applied for the visa. I got the visa.
所以,在他们的帮助下,我去大使馆申请了签证。并且我得到了签证。
I remember this day like it was yesterday.
那一天对我来说就像昨天一样。
I walked out of the embassy with this piece of paper in my hand, a hop in my step,
我拿着手里的文件走出大使馆,一路蹦跳,
smile on my face, knowing that my life is about to change.
难掩笑意,我明白我的生活将不复从前。
I went home that night, and I slept with my passport, because I was afraid that someone might steal it.
那天晚上我回到家里,抱着我的护照睡着了,因为我担心有人会把它偷走。
I couldn't fall asleep. I kept feeling it. I had a good idea for security.
而我辗转反侧。那念头依然挥之不去。我突然想到了一个万全的主意。
I was like, "OK, I'm going to put it in a plastic bag, and take it outside and dig a hole, and put it in there."
我说:“好吧,我可以把它放进一个塑料袋里,然后在外面地上挖一个洞,把袋子放进去。”
I did that, went back in the house. I could not fall asleep.
我真的做了,然后又回到屋子里。但我依然无眠。
I was like, "Maybe someone saw me." I went back...
我想,“也许有人看到我了。”我又回去了。
I pulled it out, and I put it with me the entire night -- all to say that it was an anxiety-filled night.
我把袋子拿出来,然后抓着它度过了一宿,我只想说那真是焦虑的一晚。
Going to the US was, just like another speaker said, was my first time to see a plane,
来到美国的感受,和其他初来乍到的人一样,那是我第一次坐飞机,
be on one, let alone sit on it to fly to another country.
坐在座位上,飞向另一个国家。
December 15, 2006. 7:08pm. I sat in seat 7A. Fly Emirates.
2006年12月15日晚上7点08分。我坐在7A座位上。乘坐阿联酋航班。
One of the most gorgeous, beautiful women I've ever seen walked up, red little hat with a white veil.
一个我有生以来见过的最美的女人朝我走来,她戴着红色的帽子和白色的口罩。
I'm looking terrified, I have no idea what I'm doing.
我真的吓坏了,我简直手足无措。
She hands me this warm towel -- warm, steamy, snow white.
她递给我一张温热的纸巾,温暖,湿润,白净如雪。

我被领养的经历

I'm looking at this warm towel; I don't know what to do with my life, let alone with this damn towel...
我盯着这张温暖的纸巾;我都不知道我该拿我的生活怎么办,更别说这张纸巾了。
I did one of the -- you know, anything anyone could do in that situation: look around, see what everyone else is doing.
我做了一件--你懂的,任何人都会做的事:我环顾四周,看其他人的举动。
I did the same. Mind you, I drove about seven hours from my village to the airport that day.
然后我也跟着他们做。顺便一提,从村子到机场,那一天我开了7个小时的车。
So I grab this warm towel, wipe my face just like everyone else is doing, I look at it -- damn. It was all dirt brown.
所以我拿起那张温暖的纸,效仿着别人擦拭了自己的脸,我看了看纸巾--该死。已经变成屎黄色了。
I remember being so embarrassed that when she came by to pick it up, I didn't give mine. I still have it.
我记得我是那么的尴尬,以至于当她来回收纸巾的时候,我没好意思给她。我现在都还带着它。
Going to America opened doors for me to live up to my full God-given potential.
美国向我敞开了大门,让我能够发挥自己最大的潜力。
I remember when I arrived, the sponsor family embraced me, and they literally had to teach me everything from scratch:
我记得我刚到的时候,我的资助家庭迎接了我,然后他们就把一切从头开始教给我:
this is a microwave, that's a refrigerator -- things I'd never seen before.
这是一个微波炉,那是一个冰箱--那些都是我以前闻所未闻的东西。
And it was also the first time I got immersed into a new and different culture.
那也是我第一次被放置在全新的文化环境当中。
These strangers showed me true love.
这些陌生人向我展示了真正的关爱。
These strangers showed me that I mattered, that my dreams mattered. Thank you.
这些陌生人让我明白,我很重要,我的梦想很重要。谢谢。
These individuals had two of their own biological children. And when I came in, I had needs.
他们有两个亲生孩子。当我走进他们家庭的时候,我急需帮助。
They had to teach me English, teach me literally everything, which resulted in them spending a lot of time with me.
他们要教我英文,教我几乎所有的事情,这导致他们要在我的身上花费很多的精力。
And that created a little bit of jealousy with their children.
而这致使他们的亲生孩子对我产生了一丝妒忌。
So, if you're a parent in this room,
所以,如果你们有人是家长,
and you have those teenager children who don't want anything to do with your love and affection
而你又有这样一群青少年小孩,他们对你们的爱和关心置若罔闻,
in fact, they find it repulsive -- I got a solution: adopt a child. It will solve the problem.
事实上,还对你们很冷淡,我有一个办法:领养一个孩子。问题就会迎刃而解。
I went on to acquire two engineering degrees from one of the best institutions in the world.
在一所世界一流的学府中,我获得了两个工程师学位。
I've got to tell you: talent is universal, but opportunities are not.
我必须要说:天赋人人都有,但机会一缘难求。
And I credit this to the individuals who embrace multiculturalism, love, empathy and compassion for others.
我想要赞美那些拥抱多元文化的人,那些关爱、理解并且同情他人的人。
We live in a world filled with hate: building walls, Brexit, xenophobia here on the African continent.
我们生活在一个充满憎恨的世界上:高筑围墙,英国脱欧,非洲大陆的仇外心理。
Multiculturalism can be an answer to many of these worst human qualities.
而这些人类最负面的东西都可以被多元文化海涵。
Today, I challenge you to help a young child experience multiculturalism.
今天,我挑战你们在座的观众们,去帮助一个年轻的孩子感受多元文化的魅力。
I guarantee you that will enrich their life, and in turn, it will enrich yours.
我保证那会充实他的生活,作为回报,你们的生活也会得到升华。
And as a bonus, one of them may even give a TED Talk.
而作为奖励,他们其中之一也许还会在TED演讲。
We may not be able to solve the bigotry and the racism of this world today,
我们也许无力解决当今社会的种族歧视与偏见,
but certainly we can raise children to create a positive, inclusive, connected world full of empathy, love and compassion.
但我们完全可以引导我们的孩子去创建一个积极的、包容的、紧密相连的世界。那里将充满理解,关爱,同情。
Love wins. Thank you.
真爱无敌。谢谢。

分享到