(单词翻译:单击)
Think back to the last time you had a feeling-all-the-feels moment.
回想一下你上次有感觉的时刻 。
Maybe it was when you finished reading this really great book about, I don't know,
我不太清楚,也许是当你读完这本好书的时候,
two teenagers with cancer who fall in love, and it basically ripped your heart out and what?
两个患有癌症的少年少女相爱了,这个故事让你心碎?
I'm not sobbing, you're sobbing!
我没在哭泣,你在哭泣!
Or maybe it was when you got engaged, or that day when everything went wrong.
或者是你订婚的时候,又或者是某天一切都不对劲的时候 。
Whatever it was, it gave you some really strong feelings.
不管是什么时刻,它都让你产生了一些非常强烈的感觉 。
But how did you know what you were feeling?
但是你如何知道自己是什么感受的呢?
Feeling that something is hot or cold or a soft, fluffy kitty makes intuitive sense.
感受热东西、冷东西或柔软且毛茸茸的猫咪时会产生直观感觉 。
You're touching a physical thing, and it's going to feel a particular way.
你在触摸一件物品时,会有一种特别的感觉 。
But emotions are way less straightforward. So where do they come from?
但是,情绪并不那么直接 。那么它们来自于哪里呢?
Let's just say that psychologists have all the feels about that one.
我们先假设心理学家对这一点深谙于心
Even defining emotion is tricky.
定义情绪很棘手 。
Like, we all know that cold is a feeling and that it isn't an emotion the way sadness is,
比如,我们都知道寒冷是一种感觉,而且它不是和悲伤一样的情绪,
but it's hard to explain the difference.
但我们很难解释它们之间的差别 。
So one of the things psychologists have tried to do is identify a few key parts of experiencing emotion.
所以心理学家们试图做的一件事是确定体验情绪的几个关键部分 。
There's obviously the part where you feel, along with a cognitive piece, which involves being aware of the feeling.
很明显,这几个关键部分包括你感觉的来源以及认知部分,这涉及到察觉感觉 。
There's also something motivational,
它还包括动机,
like when fear makes you want to run away from the giant hairy spider in your basement as fast as your legs will carry you.
比如,当恐惧驱使你想要逃离地下室多毛的大蜘蛛时,你的腿会带着你尽快逃跑 。
Then there's a physiological response, like the racing heart and sweaty palms that accompanies said fear.
还包括生理反应,比如伴随恐惧发生的心跳加速和手掌出汗 。
And there's a motor response, say, when you do actually hightail it out of there.
还有运动反应,比如,你真得逃离了那里 。
The debate is really about which of these components are part of the emotion itself
人们争论的是这些因素哪些是情绪本身,
and which are a cause of it or a consequence of it.
哪些是情绪成因或是它的结果 。
It's kind of a chicken-and-the-egg situation.
这有点儿像先有鸡还是先有蛋的情况 。
What causes what, and is there an order in which things happen?
什么导致了什么,事情的发生有顺序吗?
Over the years, psychologists have come up with a bunch of different theories about this.
多年来,心理学家们提出了许多不同的理论 。
The James-Lange theory, proposed in the late 19th century,
兰格情绪理论是在19世纪晚期提出的,
says that a physiological response happens when you perceive something,
它的观点是当你察觉到某物时,会发生一种生理反应,
and the emotion is your reaction to that response.
情绪是你对这种反应的回应 。
So it's not that you cry because you're sad, you're sad because you cry.
所以不是因为伤心而哭泣,而是因为哭泣而伤心 。
This is actually pretty similar to a more recent theory, known as the facial feedback theory.
它其实上和最近的一种理论很相似,即面部反馈理论 。
It argues that the way you're holding your facial muscles when you make facial expressions
它认为当你做面部表情时,你保持面部肌肉的方式
can actually cause you to feel emotions more strongly.
能让你更强烈地感受情绪 。
But … there were a lot of criticisms of the James-Lange theory.
但是,很多人批评兰格情绪理论 。
The biggest problem was that particular physical responses don't always indicate the same emotions.
它最大的问题是,特定的身体反应并不总是表现出同样的情绪 。
You can tremble from fear, sure, but also from rage or from cold.
你当然可以因恐惧颤抖,但也可以因愤怒或寒冷颤抖 。
So how do you tell which emotion is supposed to come from the physical response?
那么,你如何判断哪些情绪应该来自于身体反应呢?
Maybe you're really just super angry at that spider.
也许你只是真得对那只蜘蛛非常生气 。
The Cannon-Bard theory, which was proposed in the 1920s, was pretty much a rebuttal to James-Lange.
20世纪20年代提出的巴德情绪理论,基本上是对兰格情绪理论的反驳 。
It argues that emotional responses are too fast to be the result of a physical reaction that happens first.
它认为,情绪反应太快,不可能是先发生的生理反应的结果 。
Instead, it suggested that the physical response and subjective experience of emotion happen in parallel, at the same time.
相反,它暗示生理反应和情感的主观体验是同时发生的 。
When you first see the spider crawling out from the corner,
当你第一次看到蜘蛛从角落里爬出来的时候,
sensory information about the encounter arrives at your thalamus,
遇到蜘蛛的感觉信息传到你的丘脑,
a region of the brain involved in coordinating signals.
即大脑中负责协调信号的区域 。
Then, the thalamus sends out a signal to your peripheral nervous system
然后,丘脑向周围的神经系统发出信号
that triggers all the physical stuff and also sends the signal that triggers all the feels.
这会触发所有的物理物质,也会发出触发所有感觉的信号 。
That would explain why the physical response happens at the same time as you feel the emotion.
这就解释了为什么你在感受情绪时,也会有生理反应 。
And if they're separate signals,
如果它们是单独的信号,
it would also explain why trembling when you're cold doesn't necessarily make you afraid.
也可以解释为什么你感觉冷时的发抖并不一意味着你害怕 。
But neither of those ideas, that emotions follow a physical response, or that they happen in parallel,
但这些观点,即情绪跟随生理反应发生,或者它们同时发生,
say anything about how your actual thoughts play into all this.
都不能说明你的真实想法是如何发挥作用的 。
That's where the two-factor theory of emotion comes in, also known as the Schachter-Singer theory,
这就是情绪二因论的来由,它也被称为“斯辛二氏情绪论”,
after the researchers who first proposed it in the 1960s.
研究人员在20世纪60年代首次提出了这一观点 。
The idea is that we use circumstances to attribute our physical reactions to certain emotions.
它是指我们利用环境来将我们的身体反应归因于某些情绪 。
Those are the two factors: your physical response and how you label it.
它有两个因素:你的生理反应和你如何定义它 。
If your heart's pounding and that spider's ominously crawling towards you, you know to interpret that as fear.
如果你的心砰砰乱跳,而那只蜘蛛正有预兆地向你爬来,你就会把它解释为恐惧 。
But if you're heart's pounding because you've just been to the gym
但是如果你心跳加速是因为你刚刚去了健身房
and there's no spider, then you're probably good. No fear necessary.
并且那里没有蜘蛛,那么你可能会感觉良好 。没必要担心 。
To put their theory to the test, the researchers injected people with adrenaline,
为了测试理论,研究人员给受试者注射了肾上腺素,
then put them in situations that were either supposed to make them laugh or make them feel super frustrated and angry.
然后让他们置身于那些本该让他们大笑或者感到非常沮丧和生气的情景下 。
Subjects who knew that the adrenaline would give them a racing heart and sweaty palms didn't report feeling any emotion,
那些知道肾上腺素会让他们心跳加速、手心出汗的受试者报告没有感觉到任何情绪,
because they blamed their reaction on the drug.
因为他们把自己的反应归咎于药物 。
But if they didn't know, they attributed feeling all jumpy to the situation they were put in,
但是如果他们不知道,他们会把自己的感觉与其被放入的情境联系起来,
hilarious or upsetting, and reported feeling real emotions associated with those scenarios.
大笑或沮丧,并报告感觉到与这些情境相关的真实情绪 。
In the decades since Schachter and Singer first proposed their idea,
在沙赫特和辛格首次提出他们想法之后的几十年里,
researchers have come up with other cognitive theories of emotion, too.
研究人员也提出了其他的情绪认知理论 。
Some of them aren't as focused on interpreting a physiological response.
它们中的一些理论并没有把注意力集中在解释生理反应上 。
Instead, they argue that your emotions depend on what you think the impact of a situation will be.
相反,它们认为情绪取决于你以为的环境影响力 。
For example, you might get angry when you judge that you've been treated unfairly.
例如,当你判断自己受到不公平待遇时,你可能会生气 。
So, there are lots of different theories for how our emotions work.
所以,我们的情绪如何运作有很多不同的理论 。
But it's hard to know whether any of them can fully explain how and why we feel the things we do.
但我们很难知道,它们中是否有能完全解释我们如何以及为什么感受事物的理论 。
Emotions are just…messy, and whatever objective measures of emotion you might want to use in experiments,
情绪是……混乱的,不管你想用什么客观方法来做实验,
like heart rate, don't always line up with what someone's actually feeling.
比如心率,都不能完全符合某人的真实感受 。
But the next time you run into that spider in your basement,
但你下次在地下室遇到蜘蛛时,
at least you'll have some idea of how your feelings might be connected to your physical response and cognition.
至少会知道你的感受如何与身体反应和认知联系 。
Something to think about while you're running back up the stairs.
这是你在跑回楼梯上想到的事 。
Thanks for watching this episode of SciShow Psych!
感谢您收看本期的心理科学秀!
If you're interested in learning more about the mixups that can happen when you feel emotions,
如果你有兴趣了解更多关于感受情绪时的混乱,
you can check out our episode about how you can sometimes mistake fear for love.
可以查看那期“你如何错把恐惧当成爱的”视频 。