(单词翻译:单击)
You might think there are many things that I can't do because I cannot see. That's largely true.
可能你们认为有许多事情是我不能完成的,因为我看不见。很大程度上来说,这是事实。
Actually, I just needed to have a bit of help to come up to the stage.
比如像刚才我需要一些帮助才能走上这个讲台。
But there is also a lot that I can do. This is me rock climbing for the first time.
但也有很多事情是我能够完成的。这个,是我第一次攀岩。
Actually, I love sports and I can play many sports, like swimming, skiing, skating, scuba diving, running and so on.
实际上我喜欢运动,我也能够完成很多运动,例如游泳,滑雪,溜冰,水肺潜水,跑步等等。
But there is one limitation: somebody needs to help me. I want to be independent.
但是总有一个限制: 我需要旁人的帮助。我想要自己来做。
I lost my sight at the age of 14 in a swimming pool accident.
在我14岁的时候,一次游泳池里的意外让我丧失了视力。
I was an active, independent teenager, and suddenly I became blind.
曾经的我是一个活泼和独立的人,然后却在一瞬间变成了盲人。
The hardest thing for me was losing my independence.
对我来说最困难的事情是失去了独立的能力。
Things that until then seemed simple became almost impossible to do alone.
曾经看起来很简单的事情都变得几乎不可能完成一样。
For example, one of my challenges was textbooks. Back then, there were no personal computers, no Internet, no smartphones.
举个例子,其中一个挑战就是读书。在那个时候,没有个人电脑,没有网络,没有智能手机。
So I had to ask one of my two brothers to read me textbooks, and I had to create my own books in Braille.
所以我不得不请求我其中一个哥哥来读给我听,并自己把书翻译成盲文。
Can you imagine? Of course, my brothers were not happy about it, and later, I noticed they were not there whenever I needed them.
你能想象这个画面吗?当然,我的哥哥们对此并不乐意,后来我发现,每当我需要他们的时候他们就不见人影了。
I think they tried to stay away from me. I don't blame them.
我想他们刻意离我远一点。我并不责怪他们。
I really wanted to be freed from relying on someone. That became my strong desire to ignite innovation.
我真心希望自己不需要依赖任何人。这变成我想要带来创新最强大的动力。
Jump ahead to the mid-1980s. I got to know cutting-edge technologies and I thought to myself,
直到80年代中期,我见识到了先进的科技后,联想到了我自己,
how come there is no computer technology to create books in Braille?
为什么没有一种电脑技术能用来生成盲文书籍呢?
These amazing technologies must be able to also help people with limitations like myself.
这些令人惊叹的科技也应该能够用来帮助像我一样有缺陷的人们。
That's the moment my innovation journey began.
那就是我创新历程的开端。
I started developing digital book technologies,
我开始开发电子书技术,
such as a digital Braille editor, digital Braille dictionary and a digital Braille library network.
比如电子盲文编辑器,电子盲文字典和电子盲文图书网。
Today, every student who is visually impaired can read textbooks, by using personal computers and mobile devices, in Braille or in voice.
在今天,每一个有视力障碍的学生都能通过个人电脑和移动设备来阅读盲文或听有声读物。
This may not surprise you, since everyone now has digital books in their tablets in 2015.
你不会为此感到惊讶,因为现在是2015年,每一个人的平板电脑里面都有电子书。
But Braille went digital many years before digital books, already in the late 1980s, almost 30 years ago.
但是大约30年前,也就是80年代末,电子盲文已经出现,这远早于电子书。
Strong and specific needs of the blind people made this opportunity to create digital books way back then.
盲人的这种强烈和特殊的需求,促成了早年电子书的发明。
And this is actually not the first time this happened, because history shows us accessibility ignites innovation.
而且这并不是第一次出现这样的发明,历史上就有为了方便残障人士启发了创新诞生的例子。
The telephone was invented while developing a communication tool for hearing impaired people.
电话的发明是为了开发一种方便听力障碍人群交流的工具。
Some keyboards were also invented to help people with disabilities.
某些键盘也是为了帮助有残疾的人士而发明的。
Now I'm going to give you another example from my own life.
现在我来告诉你们一个我生活中的例子。
In the '90s, people around me started talking about the Internet and web browsing.
在90年代,我身边的人开始谈论因特网和浏览网页。
I remember the first time I went on the web. I was astonished.
我记得第一次上网时我惊呆了。
I could access newspapers at any time and every day.
我能够每天随时浏览报纸。
I could even search for any information by myself.
我甚至能通过我自己搜索到任何信息。
I desperately wanted to help the blind people have access to the Internet,
我迫切的想要帮助其他的盲人上网,
and I found ways to render the web into synthesized voice, which dramatically simplified the user interface.
我找到了能够把网页内容合成成声音的方法,这大大的简化了用户界面。
This led me to develop the Home Page Reader in 1997, first in Japanese and later, translated into 11 languages.
这使我在1997年开发了“首页阅读器”,并从最开始的日语普及到了11种语言。
When I developed the Home Page Reader, I got many comments from users.
当我在开发“首页阅读器”的时候,我收到了许多来自于用户的建议。
One that I strongly remember said, "For me, the Internet is a small window to the world."
其中有一个我印象深刻,他说: “对我来说,网络是打开世界的窗口。”
It was a revolutionary moment for the blind.
这对于盲人来说是一个革新的时刻。
The cyber world became accessible, and this technology that we created for the blind has many uses, way beyond what I imagined.
网络世界变得触手可及,并且有许多的用户使用我们这项本来是为盲人开发的技术,多到超过我的预想。
It can help drivers listen to their emails or it can help you listen to a recipe while cooking.
它能够帮助司机阅读邮件,它能在你做饭的时候帮你阅读菜谱。
Today, I am more independent, but it is still not enough.
今天,我变得更加独立了,但还远远不够。
For example, when I approached the stage just now, I needed assistance.
例如我刚刚要走上讲台的时候,我还是需要协助。
My goal is to come up here independently. And not just here.
我的目标是靠我自己走上来。而且不仅仅只是走上这个讲台。
My goal is to be able to travel and do things that are simple to you.
我的目标是去旅行,去完成对你们来说很容易的事情。
OK, now let me show you the latest technologies. This is a smartphone app that we are working on.
好了,现在让我来给你们展示一些最新的科技。这是我们目前正在开发的一个智能手机客户端。
51 feet to the door, and keep straight.
距离门口51英尺,直行。
Take the two doors to go out. The door is on your right.
打开两扇门出去。门在你右边。
Nick is approaching. Looks so happy. Hi, Nick!
尼克正在朝你走来。他看起来很高兴。你好,尼克!
Where are you going? You look so happy.
你要去哪儿?你看起来很开心。
Oh -- well, my paper just got accepted. That's great! Congratulations.
啊,我的文章刚刚被接受啦。真棒!祝贺你。
Thanks. Wait -- how'd you know it was me, and that I look happy?
谢谢。等等,你怎么知道是我,并知道我很高兴的?
Hi. Oh ... hi. He is not talking to you, but on his phone. Potato chips.
你好。你好。他没有跟你讲话,他在讲电话。薯片。
Dark chocolate with almonds. You gained 5 pounds since yesterday; take apple instead of chocolate.
杏仁黑巧克力。你比昨天重了5磅。你应该拿起苹果,放下巧克力。
Approaching. You arrived. Now ... Thank you.
正在靠近。到达目的地。现在...谢谢。
So now the app navigates me by analyzing beacon signals and smartphone sensors
所以现在这个应用通过分析指标讯号和手机感应来引导我,
and permits me to move around indoor and outdoor environments all by myself.
并让我能够靠我自己在室内和之外的环境间移动。
But the computer vision part that showed who is approaching, in which mood -- we are still working on that part.
但是指示我谁在靠近,情绪如何的电脑视觉部分,我们还在努力改进。
And recognizing facial expressions is very important for me to be social.
这个面部表情识别功能对我的社交生活非常重要。
So now the fusions of technologies are ready to help me see the real world. We call this cognitive assistance.
所以,现在科技的融合已经帮助我看到了真实的世界。我们称它为认知协助。
It understands our surrounding world and whispers to me in voice or sends a vibration to my fingers.
它帮助我们理解我们周围的世界,并且通过语音或者手指的震动来告诉我。
Cognitive assistance will augment missing or weakened abilities -- in other words, our five senses.
认知协助可以增强我们缺少或弱化的能力--换句话说,就是我们的五官。
This technology is only in an early stage, but eventually, I'll be able to find a classroom on campus,
这种科技还在初级阶段,但最终,我能够找到校园里的一间教室,
enjoy window shopping or find a nice restaurant while walking along a street.
能够享受橱窗购物或者在漫步的时候找到一间不错的餐厅。
It will be amazing if I can find you on the street before you notice me.
在大街上我能够在你注意我之前就找到你,那将是多么让人惊讶。
It will become my best buddy, and yours. So, this really is a great challenge.
它会变成我最好的伙伴,也会是你最好的伙伴。所以,这真的是一个挑战。
It is a challenge that needs collaboration, which is why we are creating an open community to accelerate research activities.
一个需要合作的挑战,这个合作正是我们创造一个促进研究交流的开放社区的目的。
Just this morning, we announced the open-source fundamental technologies you just saw in the video.
就在今天早上,我们发布了开源的基础技术,就是你们刚刚在视频里面看到的。
The frontier is the real world. The blind community is exploring this technical frontier and the pathfinder.
前沿就是真实的世界。盲人团体正在发掘这一技术的前沿和探路者。
I hope to work with you to explore the new era, and the next time that I'm on this stage, through technology and innovation,
我希望和你们一起来探索这个新的纪元,也希望下次当我站在这个讲台上的时候,在科技和创新的帮助下,
I will be able to walk up here all by myself. Thank you so much.
我能够完全靠我自己走到这里。谢谢大家。