(单词翻译:单击)
My name is Cecillia Chiang. People say that I brought Chinese food to America.
我是Cecillia 张,人们都说是我把中餐带到了美国 。
Julia Child brought French; Cecillia Chiang brought Chinese.
朱莉娅·查尔德把法餐带到了美国,Cecillia 张则给中餐带到了美国 。
This is all my sisters, that's me.
这是我所有的姐妹,我在这里 。
In 1959, I came to San Francisco visiting my sister Sophie.She lived on the edge of Chinatown.
那是1959年,我来旧金山看望我的姐妹Sophie 。她就住在唐人街边上 。
The first time I noticed the food, I said, "Is this Chinese food?"
当我第一次注意到这边的食物时,我就问,“这个是中餐吗?”
My sister said, "yes!"
她说,“是啊 。”
I looked at the menu: chop suey, egg for young...
我看了看菜单:炒杂碎、芙蓉蛋……
I'm originally born near Shanghai and I said, "I don't remember we tasted any of this in China."
我就是上海边儿上的人嘛,我就说,“我记得根本不是这个味道啊 。”
So my sister said, “This is American Chinese food.”
我姐妹说:“这是美国口味的中餐 。”
I decided I wanted to introduce my Chinese food to [the] USA.
于是我决定要把我们的中餐介绍给美国人 。
I opened the Mandarin in 1960.
1960年我开了福禄寿园 。
This is [at] the Mandarin with Mayor Moscone.
这是我和莫斯克内市长在福禄寿园的合影 。
The customers said, “Oh my goodness, the food tastes totally different.”
顾客说:“天哪,这家的味道跟以往吃的完全不一样耶 。”
A lot of dishes they said, “We never seen before.”
他们说,很多菜都是“我们从来都没见过的 。”
We had hot and sour soup, the lettuce cup, the pot sticker, Peking duck--I was the first one to serve it in San Francisco.
我们有酸辣汤、生菜包饭、锅贴、北京烤鸭 - 我们是旧金山第一家做这些菜的餐厅 。
I didn't create it, but I introduced it to Americans. and now everybody has it.
这些菜并不是我创造的,我只是把它们介绍给了美国人而已 。现在大家都在吃这些菜了 。
I met Alice one night.
我和爱丽丝是一天晚上认识的 。
She came to the Mandarin and one thing led to another,
她来福禄寿园吃饭,我们顺理成章地就认识了 。
I’m hungry.
我饿了 。
I'm Alice Waters and I'm the owner of Chez Panisse restaurant.
我是爱丽斯·沃特斯,我是Chez Panisse餐厅的老板 。
I've known Cecilia almost 50 years.
我和塞西莉亚认识将近50年了 。
Cecilia’s restaurant was incredibly important
塞西莉亚的餐厅特别关键
and so many people came there and learned and opened Chinese restaurants or taught cooking.
因为很多很多人都是从这里学习了中餐的烹饪,然后开了中餐厅或者成了烹饪老师的 。
you want the ginger juice. So this way all the juice comes out.
咱们需要的是姜汁,这样一拍,酱汁就全都出来了 。
Her food is very delicious and if it is a little strange, she'll tell you a story about it, and you'll want to try it.
她做的东西非常美味,如果哪道菜有点奇怪,她就会给你讲那道菜背后的故事,听完你就有食欲了 。
Every time I have a meal with Cecilia, I learned something.
每次和塞西莉亚吃饭我都能学到东西 。
I don't get all the credit, but I think I did something.
这并非都是我一个人的功劳,但我想,我是有付出的 。
people always, “You’re putting this in the menu? I think Americans don't like it.”
人们总说,“你怎么把这个放在菜单上?美国人不喜欢吃这个的 。”
I said, “ Good food is good food. It doesn’t matter if you’re American or I’m Chinese. If it’s good food, I think everybody will like it. Don’t you see?”
我说,“美食就是美食 。无论你是美国人还是我是中国人 。只要是美食,就一定能俘获每个人的胃 。明白了吧?”