博斯科姆比溪谷秘案(MP3+中英字幕) 第35期:水落石出(2)
日期:2018-04-13 10:25

(单词翻译:单击)

The old man sank his face in his hands. "God help me!" he cried.
这个老人把头低垂,两手掩面。他喊道:"上帝保佑我吧!
"But I would not have let the young man come to harm.
但是,我是不会让这个年轻人受害的。
I give you my word that I would have spoken out if it went against him at the Assizes."
我向你保证,如果巡回审判法庭宣判他有罪,我会出来说话的。"
"I am glad to hear you say so," said Holmes gravely.
福尔摩斯严肃地说:"我很高兴听你这么说。"
"I would have spoken now had it not been for my dear girl.
"要不是为了我亲爱的女儿着想,我早就说出来了。
It would break her heart -- it will break her heart when she hears that I am arrested."
那会使她十分痛心的,当她听到我被捕的消息时,她是会很痛心的。"
"It may not come to that," said Holmes. "What?"
福尔摩斯说:"也许不至于要逮捕吧。""你说什么?"

"I am no official agent.
"我不是官方侦探。
I understand that it was your daughter who required my presence here, and I am acting in her interests.
我明白,是你女儿要求我到这里来的,我现在是替她办事。
Young McCarthy must be got off, however."
无论如何必须使小麦卡锡无罪开释。"

博斯科姆比溪谷秘案

"I am a dying man," said old Turner. "I have had diabetes for years.
老特纳说:"我是个濒临死亡的人了。我患糖尿病已有多年。
My doctor says it is a question whether I shall live a month.
我的医生说,我是否还能活一个月都是个问题。
Yet I would rather die under my own roof than in a jail."
可是,我宁可死在自己家里也不愿死在监狱里。"
Holmes rose and sat down at the table with his pen in his hand and a bundle of paper before him.
福尔摩斯站起身来走到桌子旁边坐下,然后拿起笔,在他面前放着一沓纸。
"Just tell us the truth," he said. "I shall jot down the facts.
他说:"只要告诉我事实真相,我把事实摘录下来,
You will sign it, and Watson here can witness it.
然后你在上面签字,这位华生可作见证人。
Then I could produce your confession at the last extremity to save young McCarthy.
以后我可能出示你的自白书,但只是在为了拯救小麦卡锡的万不得已的时候。
I promise you that I shall not use it unless it is absolutely needed."
我答应你,除非绝对必要,否则我不会用它的。"
"It's as well," said the old man; "it's a question whether I shall live to the Assizes,
那老人说:"这样也可以。我能不能活到巡回审判法庭开庭的时候还是个问题,
so it matters little to me, but I should wish to spare Alice the shock.
所以这对我没有多大关系,我只是不想引起艾丽斯的震惊就是了。
And now I will make the thing clear to you; it has been a long time in the acting, but will not take me long to tell."
现在我一定向你直说,事情经过的时间很长,我讲出来倒用不了多长时间。"

分享到
重点单词
  • actingn. 演戏,行为,假装 adj. 代理的,临时的,供演出
  • presencen. 出席,到场,存在 n. 仪态,风度
  • understandvt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为
  • absolutelyadv. 绝对地,完全地;独立地
  • jailn. 监牢,监狱,拘留所 vt. 监禁,下狱
  • spareadj. 多余的,闲置的,备用的,简陋的 v. 抽出,饶
  • witnessn. 目击者,证人 vt. 目击,见证,出席,观察,经历
  • producen. 产品,农作物 vt. 生产,提出,引起,分娩,制片
  • diabetesn. 糖尿病
  • gravelyadv. 严肃地;严峻地;沉重地;严重地