残疾并不可耻
日期:2018-03-19 14:53

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

As you can see, I was born without fingers on my right hand.
大家可以看到,我出生时右手没有手指。
And also my right leg was several inches shorter than my left one.
而且右腿比左腿短几英寸。
They broke the bones in the leg, then they screwed metal spikes into the bone.
医生把我右腿的骨头打断,然后钉上金属钉。
It has not only spikes, but wires that go all the way through the leg to stabilize it.
我的腿骨上不仅有钉子,还有金属丝穿过以固定骨头。
I have to walk on it. I have to stretch it out so that my muscles don't just get all atrophied.
而且我还要走动,拉伸,这样肌肉才不会萎缩。
People always ask me, 'Does it hurt?'
人们总是问我:“痛不痛?”当然很痛。
Yes, it does, but I focus on what I can do, not on what I cannot do.
但是我在意的是我所能为,而不是我所不能为。
I want to talk with you guys about overcoming obstacles.
我想跟大家谈谈的就是克服障碍。
Everybody has obstacles, a disability, a hurdle.
每个人都会遇到障碍,像残疾、困难。
We face a choice: Let the obstacle overcome you or overcome the obstacle.
我们往往面对着一个选择:要么让困难打败你,要么你克服困难。
Maybe some of you have heard of Jim Abbott. He was a Major League baseball player.
也许在座的各位听说过吉姆·亚伯特。他曾是美国职棒大联盟投手。
He won a gold metal in the Olympics. He played for the Yankees, the Angels.
他获得过奥利匹克金牌,效力过洋基队、天使队。
But he threw a no-hitter, and he only had one arm.
他曾投出过无安打比赛,但他却只有一只手。
When he was a kid, he came home mad one time and told his dad,
在他小时候,有一次非常气愤地回到家,告诉他爸爸:
'The kids won't let me play baseball because I only have one hand.'
“其他小朋友不让我玩棒球,嫌我只有一只手。”
His dad replied, 'No, the kids won't let you play baseball because you stink at baseball.
他爸爸回答到:“不是这样的,他们不让你玩,是因为你打的太臭了。
You can't change the fact that you only have one hand, but you can change the fact that you stink.'
你没办法改变仅有一只手的事实,但是你可以改变球打得太糟的情况。”
So, his dad began to practice with him, and he got good. He overcame obstacles.
因此,他的父亲就开始和他一起练习,他打得越来越棒。吉姆克服了障碍。
Teams would try to exploit his weak side.
其他球队会试图利用他的弱点。
They would try to bunt to the side that he had a missing arm.
把球击到他的右边,也就是没手的一边。
But they never succeeded because he practiced and practiced fielding bunts to that side.
但是他们从没成功过,因为吉姆不停的针对自己的弱点练习。
There's no dishonor in having a disability, and I won't let anyone diss my ability, but I don't want anyone's pity either.
身患残疾并不羞耻,我也不会让他人贬低我的能力,但我也不需要他人的怜悯。
I will not use the obstacles I face as an excuse for having a pity party.
我不会利用自己的困难作为博取他人同情的借口。

残疾并不可耻

I will practice harder, play harder, and push myself harder to keep getting better.
我会更努力的练习,更努力的打球,更努力的推动自己更上一层楼。
Last season I started on my varsity high school basketball team as a freshman, and I won Rookie of the Year.
上个赛季的时候,我开始在校篮球队打球,作为一个新人,我拿到了年度新人奖。
I was one of the top scorers on the team.
我也是队里得分最多的球员之一。
One of the things that I find funny is that people judge me by appearance.
我发现一件很搞笑的事情,就是人们总是以貌取人。
They say, 'Oh, look at this one-handed whitey with the limp. I don't want him on my team!'
他们会说:“哎呀,瞧这个缺只手的、白皮肤的瘸子,我才不要他进我们队!”
But what they don't know is that I don't just have a disability, I have an ability.
但是他们不知道的是,我虽然残疾,但是我有实力。
One of my favorite moments from this last season was we played a team that we had never played before.
上赛季我有几段最享受的时刻,其中之一就是我们跟一个队比赛,两队之前没有对抗过。
And when the game started, you could tell that they were dissing my disability.
比赛开始的时候,大家可以看出来他们完全藐视我。
I mean, they double-teamed our tallest player.
他们包夹防守我们队最高的一个球员。
They just were playing really soft on me, and they just, you could tell they thought, 'What can this guy with one hand do?'
而对我却非常“温柔”,可以感觉到他们在想:“这个只有一只手的家伙能干什么?”
So, they left me open for a three. I made that one.
所以,我在投三分球的时候,他们根本不来防守。但是我投进了。
They left me open for another one. I made that one.
我又投了一个,还是无人防守,我又进了。
Then, they started to get frustrated, so they actually fouled me.
然后他们开始紧张了,于是对我犯规。
I made both free throws. And they called time out.
罚球时,我两罚两中。他们就叫了暂停。
And as we were in the huddle, I could hear the other coach yelling at his players about me.
在我们队集合的时候,我可以听到对方球队的教练冲着队员大喊对我防守不力。
They went from not covering me at all to double-teaming me.
之后他们对我,从最开始的完全不设防,变为严防死守。
It's all about overcoming obstacles. It's true, I have a disability, but so do you.
我所说的就是要克服障碍。我确实是身体残疾,但大家也一样面对各种困难。
I also have an ability, so do you. Everyone has obstacles to overcome.
我有实力,大家也各具才华。每个人都有障碍要克服。
Some are visible like mine. Some are less visible.
有些障碍是见得到的,就像我的残疾。有些则没那么显而易见。
Maybe your obstacle is that you come from a poor neighborhood.
也许你出身贫寒。
Maybe people say you'll never amount to anything. Prove them wrong.
也许人们断定你无所作为。你要证明他们大错特错。
Maybe your obstacle is that you have a learning disability, and people think that you're dumb. Prove them wrong.
也许你有学习障碍,人们认为你很愚钝。你要证明他们大错特错。
Maybe people judge you because of the color of your skin or your family background. Prove them wrong.
也许人们以肤色或者家庭背景来评判你。你要证明他们大错特错。
I know a lot of people who take one look at me and judge me.
我认识很多人,他们往往以貌取人。
They say, 'Oh, that kid can't be any good at basketball. One leg, one hand.'
他们会说:“喔,那个孩子不可能打好篮球。他就一条腿,一只手。”
If someone things you can't overcome the obstacles, prove them wrong.
如果他们认为你不能逾越困难,你就要证明他们大错特错。

分享到
重点单词
  • hurdlen. 栏干,障碍 [计算机] 障碍 vt. 跨越某物
  • limpn. 跛行 adj. 柔软的,无力的,软弱的 vi. 跛
  • rookien. 新手
  • exploitvt. 剥削,利用,开拓,开采,开发 n. 功绩,勋绩,
  • visibleadj. 可见的,看得见的 n. 可见物
  • baseballn. 棒球
  • appearancen. 外表,外貌,出现,出场,露面
  • coachn. 大巴,教练;(火车)客车车厢,四轮马车,经济舱 v
  • obstaclen. 障碍,绊脚石
  • overcomevt. 战胜,克服,(感情等)压倒,使受不了 vi. 获