用漂白剂、酸和砂纸来确保种子长大?
日期:2018-02-11 11:48

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

So, the apocalypse has happened.
末日来临。
The zombies have come and gone, and all plant life on Earth has died somehow.
僵尸横行,然后消失无踪,地球上的植物不知怎么都死了。
All you have are some basic supplies and some seeds of a few types of essential plants.
你仅剩基本的物资和几种关键植物的种子。
So, what should you do to make absolutely sure they grow,
你会做什么来确保它们都会发芽呢,
seeing how rebuilding human civilization absolutely depends on it?
人类文明的复兴全都寄托在这些种子的命运上。
Well, you'd probably think the last thing you should do with these crucially important seeds is something like poking holes in them,
你也许会想,对待这些重要的种子最不应该做的就是在种子上戳洞,
or grinding them with sandpaper, or throwing them in acid or hot water.
用砂纸摩擦摩擦,或者扑通一下扔进酸或热水里。
But, in fact, all of these are methods that are commonly used to help seeds start growing.
但是事实上这些方法都是最常用的帮助种子发芽的办法。
A typical seed consists of a plant embryo encased in a hard seed coat.
通常来说,种子由植物胚芽组成。这个胚芽由坚硬的种皮包裹着。
To start growing, it needs to emerge or sprout from inside this shell.
为了顺利成长,种子需要从内部突破坚硬的种皮。
This process is called germination.
这就是抽芽过程。
But just as it would be hard for you to get out of a jail cell with no windows and no doors,
但就像从没有窗和门的监狱越狱一样,这是很艰难的,
the embryo might need a little help escaping from its seed prison,
胚芽需要外界的一点助力来逃出这层“种子监狱”,
and any process that makes this easier by wearing down the seed coat is called scarification.
任何可以冲破种皮让抽芽更简单的方法都被称为割伤处理。
This lets moisture and nutrients get through the seed coat, making the embryo start growing until it breaks through.
割伤处理可以让湿气和养分进入种皮,这样胚芽可以茁壮成长,直至冲破种皮的束缚。
Now, you might be wondering why it is that plants would need humans
现在你也许会问,为什么植物需要人类
to do all these weird things to their seeds in order to grow, and, in fact, they don't.
帮它们做这些奇怪的事,从而让种子顺利成长。实际上,它们也不一定需要人类的帮助。

用漂白剂、酸和砂纸来确保种子长大?

In natural environments, seed coats are worn down by cold temperatures, bacteria, or even animal digestion.
在自然环境下,种皮会因为低温,细菌,甚至是动物的消化作用而磨损。
Our scarification methods just mimick and accelerate these natural processes to increase the chances of successful germination.
我们采取的割伤处理,只是模仿或加速这些自然过程,提高种子的抽芽率。
One technique we can use is called nicking.
一项经常用的技术叫做“割”。
To do this, we make a small cut or scratch into the seed coat.
需要在种皮上切小口或者划擦一下。
Be careful not to cut too deep! You don't want to damage the plant embryo inside.
要小心不要挖太深哦!千万不要破坏植物胚芽。
Another way is to file down the seed coat using sandpaper or a nail file.
还有一个需要挫下种皮的方法,需要砂纸或者磨砂纸。
Once again, you don't want to file too much, just enough to wear down some of the seed coat.
再强调下,不要挫下太多种皮,能恰巧挫下种皮最好。
After applying either of these methods, you'll want to spray the seeds with bleach to prevent mold.
使用以上方法以后,你需要用漂白剂喷洒种子以防种子发霉。
Seeds can also be soaked in water to soften the coat.
种子也可以浸泡在水中,这样种皮会软化下来。
One way to do this is to place the seeds in a nylon bag, then place the bag into hot water.
为了这样,我们需要把种子放在尼龙袋里,再把尼龙袋投在热水中。
Turn off the heat immediately and allow the water to cool to room temperature before removing the seeds.
过会儿立即关上热源,在拿走种子之前让水温降低到室温。
It's important not to heat the seed for too long as this will kill the embryo.
很重要的是,不要加热太久,否则会杀死胚芽。
Again, you'll want to spray them with bleach afterwards.
当然,这一步后,还需将它们喷洒上漂白剂。
Finally, you can try immersing the seeds in a sulfuric acid solution.
最后,可以试着把种子泡在硫酸溶液里。
Make sure you're wearing protective goggles and gloves any time you work with such a dangerous substance.
当你在处理这些危险物品的时候,确保穿戴了护目镜和手套。
Place the seeds into a wire mesh pouch and immerse the pouch in the solution for ten minutes.
将种子放在金属网袋里,然后把袋子在溶液中浸泡10分钟。
Then take out the pouch and rinse it with clean water.
然后取出金属网袋,用清水冲洗。
Take out the seeds and, as before, spray them with bleach so they don't get moldy.
取出种子,喷上漂白剂,这样种子就不会发霉了。
If you try all of these methods, you will see that some of them are more effective than others,
当你都试过以上方法后,你会发现有的方法会比另一些更有效,
and some work best for different types of plants that have harder or thicker coats.
有些方法最适合不同的拥有坚硬外壳的植物。
So, knowing what seed scarification techniques work best will be useful if you ever need to survive a cataclysm,
所以,知道哪些处理方法最管用之后,可以帮助你在天灾中存活下来,
start a farm, or just want to plant in your own garden.
有助你经营农庄,或者种花种草之类的。

分享到
重点单词
  • shelln. 壳,外壳 v. 去壳,脱落,拾贝壳 n.[计
  • germinationn. 发生;发芽;伟晶作用
  • substancen. 物质,实质,内容,重要性,财产
  • bleachn. 漂白剂,漂白 v. 变白,漂白
  • soakedadj. 湿透的 动词soak的过去式和过去分词
  • immersevt. 浸,陷入
  • effectiveadj. 有效的,有影响的
  • absolutelyadv. 绝对地,完全地;独立地
  • moldyadj. 发霉的;乏味的;陈腐的
  • typicaladj. 典型的,有代表性的,特有的,独特的