科学摧毁了幻想?
日期:2017-12-24 11:57

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

I'd like to apologize, first of all, to all of you because I have no form of PowerPoint presentation.
首先我想先和大家道个歉,因为我没有准备幻灯片。
So what I'm going to do is, every now and again, I will make this gesture,
所以接下来的演讲中,我会作这个手势,
and in a moment of PowerPoint democracy, you can imagine what you'd like to see.
在需要幻灯片展示的时候,你可以自己去发挥想象。
I do a radio show. The radio show is called "The Infinite Monkey Cage."
我有一个电台节目,叫做“无限的猴子笼”。
It's about science, it's about rationalism.
是个关于科学、理性的节目。
So therefore, we get a lot of complaints every single week, complaints including one we get very often,
因此,我们每个礼拜都被投诉,其中被投诉最多的,
which is to say the very title, "Infinite Monkey Cage," celebrates the idea of vivisection.
就是节目名称“无限的猴子笼”,称其倡导活体解剖。
We have made it quite clear to these people that an infinite monkey cage is roomy.
我们向这些投诉者明确解释了一个无限大的猴子笼是够宽广的。
We also had someone else who said, "'The Infinite Monkey Cage' idea is ridiculous.
还有些人说“无限的猴子笼”的名字太荒唐了。
An infinite number of monkeys could never write the works of Shakespeare. We know this because they did an experiment."
无数的猴子根本无法写出莎士比亚的著作,我们这么说因为他们做过一个实验”。
Yes, they gave 12 monkeys a typewriter for a week, and after a week, they only used it as a bathroom.
确实,他们给了12只猴子一个打字机,一个星期后,猴子只把它当厕所用。
So the main element though, the main complaint we get -- and one that I find most worrying -- is that people say,
我们接到的主要投诉--我最为担心的是--有人说
"Oh, why do you insist on ruining the magic? You bring in science, and it ruins the magic."
“为什么你们坚持要戳穿幻想?你们带来了科学,却摧毁了幻想。”
Now I'm an arts graduate; I love myth and magic and existentialism and self-loathing. That's what I do.
我现在在进修艺术研究生,我热爱神话和幻想,也喜欢存在主义和自我厌恶。我就是这样的。
But I also don't understand how it does ruin the magic.
但是我还是不明白这怎么就毁了幻想了。
All of the magic, I think, that may well be taken away by science is then replaced by something as wonderful.
我认为所有可以被科学解释的幻想,是被同样奇妙的东西所代替了。
Astrology, for instance: like many rationalists, I'm a Pisces.
比如占星术,像许多理性主义者一样,我也是双鱼座。
Now astrology -- we remove the banal idea that your life could be predicted;
如今的占星术--我们去除了一些陈腐的东西,比如可以预知生命之类的,
that you'll, perhaps today, meet a lucky man who's wearing a hat. That is gone.
你今天也许会遇到一位幸运的人,他会戴着一顶帽子。现在没这些了。
But if we want to look at the sky and see predictions, we still can.
但是如果我们希望通过观星象预测,还是可以的。
We can see predictions of galaxies forming, of galaxies colliding into each other, of new solar systems.
我们可以据此预测星系的形成,预测星系碰撞成为新的太阳系。
This is a wonderful thing. If the Sun could one day -- and indeed the Earth, in fact
这非常棒。如果有一天,太阳--甚至是地球,
if the Earth could read its own astrological, astronomical chart, one day it would say,
如果地球可以读懂它的天文图的话,某一天就可以说,
"Not a good day for making plans. You'll been engulfed by a red giant."
“今天不是吉日,你将被一个红巨星吞没。”
And that to me as well, that if you think I'm worried about losing worlds, well Many Worlds theory
我自己身上也会有这样的例子,如果你觉得我担心世界末日,那么,多世界理论
one of the most beautiful, fascinating, sometimes terrifying ideas from the quantum interpretation -- is a wonderful thing.
这一从量子力学中得出的最棒、最吸引人、有时又让人恐怖的理论--是个很棒的东西。
That every person here, every decision that you've made today, every decision you've made in your life,
在座每一位,每一个你今天作出的决定,每一个你生命中做过的决定,
you've not really made that decision, but in fact, every single permutation of those decisions is made,
并不是你作出了那个决定,而是每个决定间的排列,
each one going off into a new universe. That is a wonderful idea.
都会形成一个新的宇宙。那是个很棒的想法。
If you ever think that your life is rubbish, always remember there's another you that's made much worse decisions than that.
如果你曾经想过你的生活毫无意义,记住,还有其他的你,做出了比你现在还要糟糕的决定。
If you ever think, "Ah, I want to end it all," don't end it all
如果你曾想过,“啊,我要结束这一切,”不要那么做。
Remember that in the majority of universes, you don't even exist in the first place.
记住,在宇宙中的大部分里,你首先就根本没有存在过。
This to me, in its own strange way, is very, very comforting.
对我来说,这虽然有点离奇,但是却是很有效的自我安慰。
Now reincarnation, that's another thing gone -- the afterlife. But it's not gone.
转世,这是另一个废弃的概念--来生。但也没完全废弃。
Science actually says we will live forever. Well, there is one proviso.
科学实际上也认为我们将会永生。不过有一个前提。
We won't actually live forever. You won't live forever.
我们事实上不会永生,你不会永生。
Your consciousness, the you-ness of you, the me-ness of me -- that gets this one go.
你的意识,你、我本身--都终将会逝去。
But every single thing that makes us, every atom in us,
但是每一个组成我们的部分,每一个原子,
has already created a myriad of different things and will go on to create a myriad of new things.
已经创造了无数的不同的事物,并且还将继续创造无数新事物。
We have been mountains and apples and pulsars and other people's knees.
我们曾经是山脉、苹果、脉冲星,或是别人的膝盖。
Who knows, maybe one of your atoms was once Napoleon's knee. That is a good thing.
谁知道呢,也许你其中的一个原子以前曾经是拿破仑的膝盖。那很好。
Unlike the occupants of the universe, the universe itself is not wasteful. We are all totally recyclable.
不像宇宙的居住者们,宇宙本身并不浪费。我们都是可循环的。
And when we die, we don't even have to be placed in different refuse sacs. This is a wonderful thing.
当我们死后,我们甚至都不用把我们自己分类装入不同的回收袋。这是件很棒的事情。
Understanding, to me, does not remove the wonder and the joy.
对我来说,理解这些并不会失去幻想与乐趣。
For instance, my wife could turn to me and she may say, "Why do you love me?"
比如,我夫人可以问我,“你为什么爱我?”
And I can with all honesty look her in the eye and say, "Because our pheromones matched our olfactory receptors."
我也可以诚实地看着她的眼睛说,“因为我们的信息素比较匹配对方的嗅觉器官。”

科学摧毁了幻想?

Though I'll probably also say something about her hair and personality as well.
也许我还会说些其他的,比如她的头发和个性什么的。
And that is a wonderful thing there. Love does not die because of that thing.
这是多好的事情啊。爱并不会因此而变淡。
Pain doesn't go away either. This is a terrible thing, even though I understand pain.
痛也同样不会消失。这就不怎么好了,即使我了解痛苦。
If someone punches me -- and because of my personality, this is recently a regular occurrence
如果有人给我一拳--由于我的个性,这是最近经常发生的事情,
I understand where the pain comes from.
我知道疼痛来自哪里。
It is basically momentum to energy where the four-vector is constant -- that's what it is.
基本上就是动能,四向量是恒定的--就是那样。
But at no point can I react and go, "Ha! Is that the best momentum-to-energy fourth vector constant you've got?"
但我不可能说,“哈,这就是你能做到的最好的动能转换,以维持四维能量守恒吗?”
No, I just spit out a tooth.
当然不可能啊,我只会吐出一颗牙齿。
And that is all of these different things -- the love for my child.
那就是所有不同的事情--对我孩子的爱。
I have a son. His name is Archie. I'm very lucky, because he's better than all the other children.
我有一个儿子,叫阿奇。我很幸运,他是最好的。
Now I know you don't think that. You may well have your own children and think, "Oh no, my child's best."
我知道你们肯定不这么想。因为你也许也有自己的孩子,心想,“我孩子才是最棒的”。
That's the wonderful thing about evolution -- the predilection to believe that our child is best.
这就是进化的美妙之处--偏向于相信自己孩子是最好的。
Now in many ways, that's just a survival thing.
在很多不同方面,那只是个生存问题。
The fact we see here is the vehicle for our genes, and therefore we love it.
我们在这看到的是,基因的传承,所以我们才会偏爱。
But we don't notice that bit; we just unconditionally love. That is a wonderful thing.
但是我们并没有注意到这点,我们就无条件的去爱了。这是一件多么好的事。
Though I should say that my son is best and is better than your children. I've done some tests.
但是我还是要说我儿子好,比你们的都好。我做了这样一些实验。
And all of these things to me give such joy and excitement and wonder.
然后这些东西给了我很多快乐和幻想。
Even quantum mechanics can give you an excuse for bad housework, for instance.
甚至量子理论都可以帮你找到一个理由,比如说相当糟的家务。
Perhaps you've been at home for a week on your own. You house is in a terrible state.
也许你一个人在家待了一个星期。你家的房子相当的乱。
Your partner is about to return. You think, what should I do? Do nothing.
然后你的伴侣要回来了。你认为我该干什么?什么也别做。
All you have to do is, when she walks in, using a quantum interpretation, say,
你要做的就是当她向你说教时,你可以用上量子理论,说:
"I'm so sorry. I stopped observing the house for a moment, and when I started observing again, everything had happened."
“对不起。我停止观察这个房间有一段时间了。但我再次观察时,所有的事情发生了。”
That's the strong anthropic principle of vacuuming.
这就是在真空下强烈的人择原理。
For me, it's a very, very important thing.
对我来说,快乐真的是一件很重要的事。
Even on my journey up here -- the joy that I have on my journey up here every single time.
甚至是在我来这的路上--我每次来这的路上都充满欢乐。
If you actually think, you remove the myth and there is still something wonderful. I'm sitting on a train.
如果你真的认为,你不相信虚幻,其实仍然会有些很奇妙的东西。我坐在火车上。
Every time I breathe in, I'm breathing in a million-billion-billion atoms of oxygen. I'm sitting on a chair.
我每一次呼吸,我无数次的吸进氧原子。我坐在椅子上。
Even though I know the chair is made of atoms and therefore actually in many ways empty space, I find it comfortable.
甚至想,我知道这个椅子是由原子构造的,因此,理论上就会有许多空隙,我发现这很有趣。
I look out the window, and I realize that every single time we stop and I look out that window, framed in that window,
我看着窗外,意识到每一次我们停下来注视着那扇窗外,有框的窗户,
wherever we are, I am observing more life than there is in the rest of the known universe beyond the planet Earth.
不管我们在哪,我是在观察比超越地球的已知宇宙的总和还要多的无数生命。
If you go to the safari parks on Saturn or Jupiter, you will be disappointed.
如果你去土星或者木星的徒步公园,你会失望。
And I realize I'm observing this with the brain, the human brain, the most complex thing in the known universe.
当我意识到我是在用大脑观察人类的大脑,是在已知的宇宙中最复杂的东西,
That, to me, is an incredible thing. And do you know what, that might be enough.
那对我来说是不可思议的事情。你知道吗,那也许就够了。
Steven Weinberg, the Nobel laureate, once said, "The more the universe seems comprehensible, the more it seems pointless."
史蒂夫·温伯格,诺贝尔的得奖人,曾经说过,“宇宙越是看起来能理解,就越是没有意义。”
Now for some people, that seems to lead to an idea of nihilism.
如今有些人将此理解为虚无主义。
But for me, it doesn't. That is a wonderful thing. I'm glad the universe is pointless.
但对我来说,不是那样的。那其实挺好的。我很乐于认为宇宙是无意义的。
It means if I get to the end of my life, the universe can't turn to me and go,
即如果我到了生命尽头,宇宙不会跟我说:
"What have you been doing, you idiot? That's not the point."
“你都干了什么,你这个笨蛋?不该那么做。”
I can make my own purpose. You can make your own purpose.
我可以有自己的目的。你也可以给自己定目标。
We have the individual power to go, "This is what I want to do."
我们都有自由意志,“这是我想做的事情”。
And in a pointless universe, that, to me, is a wonderful thing.
一个没有意义的宇宙,对我来说,其实是很棒的事。
I have chosen to make silly jokes about quantum mechanics and the Copenhagen interpretation.
是我选择了讲些关于量子力学和哥本哈根诠释的傻傻笑话。
You, I imagine, can do much better things with your time. Thank you very much. Goodbye.
那么我想,你可以更好地利用你的时间做更好的事情。非常感谢。再见。

分享到