原油泄漏的剧毒解药
日期:2017-12-16 16:26

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

I am a marine toxicologist, and I've been very, very concerned about the Gulf,
我是一个海洋毒理学家,我非常非常担心墨西哥湾,
particularly about the massive applications of the toxic dispersants, the Corexits.
尤其是大量使用那些叫做Corexit的有毒分散剂。
I've been working on ocean pollution for quite a long time
我致力于解决海洋污染问题已经有很长一段时间了,
the impacts on marine life and particularly the impacts on marine mammals.
研究污染对于海洋生命的冲击,特别是对于那些海洋哺乳类动物的冲击问题。
As it turns out, marine mammals are at the top of this food chain
结果,这些海洋哺乳类动物是在整个食物链的最上层,
that we're pouring millions of tons of toxic substances into every year.
而我们每年都会将上百万吨的毒害物质倒进海洋里面。
And they are showing the signs of this.
而现在,种种迹象正慢慢浮现。
I'm sorry to have a sad slide like this, but not everything is all that happy, especially in my work.
我很抱歉放这个令人难过的投影片,可是不是每件事都是令人开心的,尤其是在我的工作项目里。
They are loaded with toxic chemicals in their body, hundreds of compounds, all kinds of compounds -- it's staggering.
在它们的体内,含有许多的有毒化学物质,几百种化学成分,有各种的成分--这是很惊人的。
And they're dying off rather regularly, tens of thousands around the world.
它们因此大量的死亡,全世界有成千上万的死亡量。
It's predicted they may go extinct -- about a third of them -- within about 30 years.
专家估计,在未来30年内--大约有1/3的数量--会从这个世界上消失。
So my project is along the Northwest Atlantic. It's called Seals as Sentinels.
我的研究项目集中在大西洋的西北沿线,名为:海豹哨兵。
We're tracking pollution at the top of the food web, in marine mammals and fish.
我们在食物网的顶层,比如海生哺乳动物或鱼类体内,追踪有毒物质。
It's a region-wide, eco-toxicological investigation.
这是一个大范围的生态-毒物学的调查。
We're looking at a lot of compounds, but recently been quite interested in the flame retardants,
我们关注许多种化合物,但最近我们的兴趣集中在溴化物阻燃剂上。
the brominated flame retardants that are in many, many things that we use in our everyday life,
这种阻燃剂在大量日常用品中都有存在,
from the cushions in the chairs we're all sitting on to the plastic casings of our computers, our television sets and so on.
无论是被我们坐着的椅子上的垫子,还是电脑的塑料机箱,亦或是电视机等等。
So we are tracking how do these things get from the products into the ocean, which is the final sink for them.
因此我们要追踪这些有毒物质是如何从日用品中最终流入大海这个最后的污水槽的。
And there's quite a complicated pathway for that because, as these products age, they get concentrated in dust,
有毒物质的积累过程相当复杂,因为当日用品老化时,有毒物质就集中到了尘埃中,
and then they also get thrown out, so they go to the landfills. They wind up in waste water treatment plants.
当日用品最终被丢弃后,它们就被运到了垃圾填埋场, 最终集中到了污水处理厂。
As you all know, we throw out billions of computers and TVs every year.
众所周知,我们每年要报废数十亿的电脑和电视机。
And those go to e-waste dumps. And all that gets into surface waters, eventually reaching the ocean, the final sink.
它们最终成为了电子垃圾。而所有进入地表水系统的物质,最终都会流向海洋。
So, in our study, we did find quite high levels, as we expected, of these flame retardants in the harbor seals' bodies.
因此,在我们的研究中,我们意料之中地在斑海豹体内发现了很高浓度的阻燃剂残留。
And we reported this. It led to a ban of this neuro-toxic flame retardant called Deca in Maine,
我们报告了这一结果,最终使得这种叫做Deca的有神经毒性的阻燃剂在缅因州被禁止使用,
where I am based, and also then a phase-out, U.S.-wide, at the end of last year.
缅因州正是我的工作基地所在地。随后到去年年底,这种物质在全美境内也被逐渐禁止使用。
But we said, well, on the bright side, our harbor seals at least will not be bursting into flame anytime soon.
于是我们想至少从好的方面来看,这些斑海豹不会在短期内烧起来。
So then I got really curious, myself, as a toxicologist, and I donated some blood to my lab and said, "Okay, let's do it."
于是我,作为一个毒物学家就,非常好奇,所以我捐献了一点自己的血给实验室,然后说“好吧,让我们看看”。
Well, we detected 113 different compounds in my blood.
结果我们在我的血液中监测到了113种不同的化合物。
And I must say, if any of you would have this done, you'd probably find a similar profile, or cocktail, as they call it.
而且我肯定,如果你们中间的一个也做同样的测试的话,得到的一定是类似的结果,我们称之为“鸡尾酒”。
But I was the recipient of a lot of flame retardant material for some reason.
但是,我被迫成为无辜的阻燃剂接受者并非偶然。
And just to point out the levels -- Americans have 10 to 40 times higher levels of these compounds in our bodies than the Europeans.
现在来看看这个浓度--与欧洲人相比,美国人体内这些化合物的含量高出了10-40倍。
Why? Because we are flame-retarding everything, and we have weak regulations for toxic chemicals.
为什么呢?因为我们对各种东西都在阻燃,而我们对于有毒物质的控制还显得很薄弱。
But lo and behold, I'm one of the high-end individuals. Lucky me.
但是你看,我还算是所谓的高端人才。真是有幸。
But then I thought, well, in case of a fire, I might be the last one to ignite.
然后我就想,嗯,大概在火灾的时候,我会最后一个烧起来。
So anyway, here's the problem -- and it is a problem that we're looking at in the Gulf today
总之,现在有这样一个问题,这也是我们在墨西哥湾关注的问题:
we're not regulating chemicals in this country properly. We're hardly regulating them at all.
美国对于化学物质的管理还很不完善。其实我们压根就没什么管理措施,
And we're letting industry run the show.
而是让市场决定了一切。
And Jackie Savitz spoke this morning about Big Oil and the propaganda and how we're all brainwashed with their, you know, lies and so forth.
杰克·萨维茨今天早上作了一场关于大石油公司及其品牌宣传的演讲,他谈到我们是如何被种种谎言洗脑。
Well, Big Chemical is what we're dealing with here.
而我们今天要关注的是大化工公司。
And they're allowed to keep trade secrets, so they don't even give the ingredients out.
他们被允许保留商业机密,因此他们甚至无需公开原材料。
Plus they don't give health and safety data, so, consequently, they cannot be regulated before they go to market.
而且他们还不提供有关健康与安全的数据,因此在这些产品真正上市之前,它们根本无法被监控。
So it's a case of innocent until proven guilty. The burden of proof is not on the producer.
所以这就是“无证据即无罪”的情形,而制造商根本没有提供证据的压力。
So I then was invited to go to the Gulf in May.
今年五月份,我受邀去墨西哥湾。
I went down there on a preliminary investigation to look into dispersants and how they're going into the water column and so forth.
我到那里去做一个初步调查,研究分散剂及它们如何流入水系。
And I was told that I was the only toxicologist to date who was dumb enough to get into the water, but I did.
人们说我是迄今为止唯一一个笨到去直接下水的毒理学家,但我就这么做了。
And we dove in the slick without even HazMat gear. And I did get sick.
我们在没有任何防护措施的情况下潜入原油层下方。我果然生病了。
I got a ferocious sore throat two days later. I felt like my throat was on fire. But it did pass.
两天以后我的喉咙就疼得厉害,就好像它着火了一样,好在最后还是恢复了。
And what I did see in the water as we went down, what really shocked me -- and it's haunted me ever since
而我在下潜过程中所见到的景象着实把我惊呆了,而且始终挥之不去,
because I could see the droplets of oil dispersing.
因为我看见原油分散成小滴。
And as you go down, they're catching all kinds of plankton, bumping into, you know,
在下降过程中黏附上各种浮游生物和那些千丝万缕的、漂浮的生命体,碰撞在一起,
little wisps of life that are the food for the planktivores, the herring kind of fish.
成为以浮游生物为生的其它动物的食物,比如鲱鱼类。
And you could just see the web of death as you go down in the water column.
随着你逐渐下潜,你可以直接看到整个死亡网络。
Well, you know, we got into this in the beginning as a trade-off, they say, between the wetlands versus the ocean depth.
当然,那些专家说,我们之所以会在海中看到这些景象,是因为我们不得不在湿地和深海之间权衡取舍。
And I didn't agree with that decision at the time; I still don't.
我当时并不同意这个决定,今天我依然这么认为。
The decision was to protect the marshes. When the oil gets into the marshes, you can't get it out.
这个决定的本意是要保护海边的湿地,因为一旦原油进入湿地,就没法再弄出来了。
And as you know, there's been a very weak response, up until recently, to actually collect the oil.
而我们也知道,直到最近,残油的收集工作依然进行得很少。
It's gotten much more aggressive. This is an Exxon slide showing what happens, the scenario and the trade-off.
现在这个情况越来越严重了。这张幻灯片显示了瓦迪兹号事件的情形以及得失。
So this shows oil on the surface. You can see it getting up into the mangrove,
这里显示的是海面上的油污。你可以看到油污进入了红树林,
but it is not harming the corals or the sea grass, right. So here we have the other scenario.
但是还没有侵害到珊瑚礁或者是海草。现在我们看另一种情况。
If you disperse, the sea grass and the corals are getting hit pretty hard, but you're saving the mangrove.
如果你分散油污,海草和珊瑚礁会受到很大的侵害,但是你却保住了红树林。
So this, to me, is like going to the eye doctor, okay? Is it better with one or two?
对我来说这就像是去看眼科医生。是一只眼睛好还是两只好?
The problem is that we have released so darn much of this stuff, we're climbing up to two million gallons very quickly.
现在的问题是,我们在很短的时间内排放了太多的这类物质,将近200加仑。
And then there's the problem of the plumes. What plumes?
然后我们还有分散油柱的问题。什么羽毛?
It turns out there are plumes. Independent researchers found that.
事实上分散油柱确实存在。是一些独立研究者们发现的。
And then there's the looming, messy problem of human health, reported human health effects.
另外还有不断迫近的各种棘手的有关人类健康的问题,各种关于人类健康影响的报道。
And actually, one of our federal officials said that it was probably heat stress. So ...
事实上,我们的一个联邦政府官员解释说,这很可能是热应力。我很无奈。
Having been in that water just for the short time I was there, I can tell you, it is not heat stress.
作为到过那片水域的人,尽管时间相对很短,我可以告诉各位,这绝非单纯热应力的缘故。
There are volumes of volatile petroleum fumes coming off that water, plus the Corexit, which has solvent in it.
那里有大量的易挥发的石油烟气从水面上蒸腾而出,在加上含有有机溶剂的Corexit。
So it is not at all rational.
这个情况非常糟糕。
So what do we have? The BP show is going on.
所以我们现在怎么办?BP仍然在演戏。
Our officials complained about Corexit, which is the most toxic line of dispersants.
我们的官员一边指责Corexit这种在所有的分散剂中毒性最强烈的物质。
But heck, they're still using it, and they used the most toxic one, the 9527, until they ran out of supplies.
一边却继续使用Corexit,而且还是毒性最大的9527号,直到9527号断货。
Now they're on 9500. 9527 had 2-butoxyethanol in it that causes internal bleeding.
现在他们使用9500号。9527号含有乙二醇单丁醚,它会导致内出血。
We know that from the Exxon Valdez spill, by the way.
顺便提一句,这一点我们也是从瓦迪兹号事件中了解到的。
So what we're doing, we're putting compounds with petroleum solvents onto a petroleum spill.
因此我们所做的就是把溶解于石油成分溶剂的化合物投放到石油泄漏物中去。
Does this make sense? So this is the way it works.
这一切有道理吗?但这就是事实。

原油泄漏的剧毒解药

And I want to show you this cute little thing that happens here. It's a micelle. Micelles form around the oil.
我想给你们看一下这里发生的一个有趣的小现象。这是一个胶束,通常在油滴外围形成。
And what happens first is the solvents break into the oil, the lipid membrane, they let the surfactants in there.
首先发生的是溶剂进入了油滴的脂质膜层,然后留下了表面活性剂。
The surfactants -- which are like things we use on fast food wrappers -- they grab around the droplets of oil,
表面活性剂--就是我们涂在食物包装纸上的东西--能够抓住油滴,
and they make little, tiny droplets with nice, little surfactant edges to them.
从而在细小的油滴外形成薄薄的表面活性剂层。
The thing to remember about the micelles -- these little floating globules of toxin -- is they are there to deliver.
关于胶束我们要注意的是--这些小小的漂浮的含有毒物的小液滴,就是这些胶束在运送的东西。
They're like the FedEx guys. And if you're a fish, and you haven't gotten your glob in the morning,
它们就像联邦快递。如果你是一条鱼,就算你早上有幸没撞上这团东西,
you're going to get it in the afternoon, because they've got your number.
那你下午就该撞上了。你在劫难逃。它们盯上你了。
So from a toxicology perspective, this is really awful because Corexit and the dispersed oil are much more toxic together than either alone.
所以从毒物学的角度来看,这是非常可怕的情形,因为当Corexit遇上分散的原油,它们的毒性有增无减。
And usually the exposure is a combined exposure.
而生物一般都是同时暴露在这两种物质之下。
The dispersants -- as I was saying -- their job is to break down the lipid membrane.
我前面提到过,分散剂的作用就是破坏脂质的外膜。
The solvents in them do that very efficiently.
分散剂中含有的溶剂很容易就能做到这一点。
So they break down lipid membranes in our body, starting with cells of the skin, the cells of organs.
于是它们也分解了我们体内的脂质薄膜,从我们的皮肤细胞开始,一直到其它器官的细胞。
So it actually hastens oil getting into the body easily and readily.
因此它事实上是加快了原油进入我们体内的速度,使之变得更快更易。
Oil contains hundreds of hydrocarbon compounds and other compounds that are toxic to every organ in the body.
原油含有数百种碳氢化合物以及其它对我们体内任何器官都有害的化学成分。
And so with the dispersants combined, you have this very synergistic combined toxicity.
因此当它们与分散剂结合后,就形成了一种强大的协同作战的有毒物质。
Corexit also contains petroleum solvents and many other toxic compounds.
Corexit也含有石油溶剂以及许多其它的有毒化合物。
And I'm part of a chat group, which is a national group of toxicologists and chemists that are, you know,
我个人是一个全国性的由毒物学家和化学家组成的讨论团体的一员,
basically turning cartwheels trying to figure out what's in this stuff,
而我们主要做的就是想方设法去找出这些化合物里究竟有些什么,
and what is it doing and what are the interactions of these chemicals, most of which we don't know,
它们有什么作用,它们互相之间有什么反应--我们对此知之甚少,
and what are their byproducts, which are usually more toxic than the parent compound.
还有就是它们有哪些副产品,而这些副产品往往比原来的化合物更有毒性。
So we did find that Corexit 9500 contains heavy metals, arsenic and chromium
我们确实在Corexit 9500中发现了重金属、砷、还有铬,
arsenic at high enough levels to have cancer-causing effects.
其中砷的含量高到足以诱发癌症。
So this is what we have to look at, these, you know, ridiculous safety data sheets, which have nothing on them much.
这就是我们所看到的这些荒谬可笑的产品安全列表。它们对我之前讲的那部分内容只字未提。
And now they were forced to release the ultimate list of everything that's in Corexit.
现在最终的产品安全报告被迫公布,列出了Corexit所含有的全部成分。
And guess what, tons of stuff is missing.
你猜怎么样,很多东西都被略去了。
Derivatives, derivatives, these are whole big groups of many, many compounds, these sorbitans.
衍生物、衍生物……这些都是许多许多化合物构成的大类,比如山梨醇。
And then you get down to the petroleum distillates, which are the solvents, hundreds of them.
然后你看到石油的蒸馏成分,也就是溶剂,有好几百种。
They are not identified. And why? Trade secrets again.
它们都没有在报告中被“检测”出。为什么?又是所谓的贸易机密。
BP's running the show, and the Nalco company, this is all they have to do.
BP正在上演一场戏,还有Nalco公司。它们只要演演戏就好了。
So far these ingredients have not been released, and toxicologists are actually going nuts
到目前为止有关这些成分的信息还没有被公布,而我们这些毒物学家简直要发疯了,
because we cannot predict with certainty what the interactions and toxic results are going to be.
因为这样我们就不能准确地判断出有哪些反应在进行,以及它们的危害有多大。
But we do have quite a lot at risk down there, as we all know, the 33 wildlife refuges, so much wildlife and fish and diversity.
但我们手上有那么多岌岌可危的问题,我们都很清楚,33个野生动物避难所,那么多野生动物、鱼类以及生物多样性。
So we know from previous spills. And then part of this is just part of my bad dreams.
我们从之前的原油泄漏事件中已经有了经验。这一切都是我晚上噩梦的根源。
And I appreciate being able to vent some of my anguish upon you.
我能在这里和你们说说我的各种担忧,我觉得很欣慰。
What we do know is that the corals are going to get hit hard.
我们目前能够确定的是珊瑚礁会遭到重创。
And this is a study that was done on the Australian coast, the coast of Tasmania.
这是在澳大利亚的塔斯马尼亚海岸所做的研究调查。
Corals are, you know, the home to about a quarter of all marine species.
众所周知,珊瑚礁是大约四分之一海洋生物的家。
And with the Corexit and the oil, there's zero percent fertilization.
现在因为Corexit,因为泄露的原油,它们的繁殖率归零。
With oil alone, there's 98 percent fertilization. So they're a very sensitive species to this combo.
如果只有原油,倒还有98%的繁殖率。它们根本无法承受这个“Corexit石油大礼包”。
Here's another group. I could see myself easily in the water column.
还有一个例子。我能够在水柱中清晰地看到我自己。
The plankton and the plankton eaters, you know,
浮游生物和食用浮游生物的动物,
these are the little herring fish that go through the water column with their mouths open,
比如这些张着嘴巴在水柱中游动的小鲱鱼,
feeding indiscriminately and just lapping up this brown pudding of toxic stuff.
它们无力分辨,照单全收,包括这些剧毒的棕色“布丁”。
And we do know from other studies that this is a highly toxic mixture.
而我们从其它调查中得知,这是一种剧毒的混合物。
See the oil and Corexit is causing death at a much, much lower dose than oil alone.
原油和Corexit加在一起,只需要比单纯原油泄漏少太多的量就能导致大量生物死亡。
That's probably as far as what we do know about toxic effects. But my bad dreams go like this.
这大概就是我们所确定的全部关于这些毒物的信息。但是我的噩梦还在继续。
The piscivorous fish, the cobia, grouper, amberjacks, those big fish, also the tuna and sharks, are going to hit by this.
那些食用鱼类的鱼,比如军曹鱼、石斑鱼、琥珀鱼,还有大型鱼类,比如金枪鱼和鲨鱼,都会被影响到。
And the gills are quite sensitive. The respiratory system is very sensitive.
鱼的鳃是很敏感的器官。整个呼吸系统都很敏感。
Think about it with the Corexit hitting the membranes, and it will clog up the gills,
让我们想象一下Corexit遇到粘膜以后的情况。它会阻塞鱼的鳃,
and then these animals are going to be getting something like what you call chemical pneumonia, trying to aspirate the compounds.
然后这些动物就会得一种类似于被你们叫做化学性肺炎的病,因为它们在尝试吸出这些东西。
It also will cause internal bleeding upon ingestion.
它还会造成消化系统的内出血。
I'm very worried about the air-breathing mammals because I study them, but also,
我对于直接呼吸空气的动物很是担忧,因为它们是我的研究对象,
the way their going to be exposed is every time they come to the surface to take a breath, they're going to inhale these volatile fumes.
每当它们浮到海面试图呼吸的时候,它们就会被暴露在这些易挥发的烟气里。
And what does happen with that eventually is pneumonia sets in and liver, kidney, brain damage.
而这些最终导致的就是肺炎,还有肝、肾、以及脑部的损伤。
The Corexit is transporting the oil into every membrane and every system of the body.
Corexit这种物质会把原油传输到身体中的每一层隔膜和每一个系统。
And you're having a lot of different unpleasant effects, but burns to the eyes and mouth, skin ulcers, lesions.
然后你就会出现许多不适症状,比如眼睛和嘴部的灼烧感,皮肤溃疡等病变。
And I think, personally, that we have not begun to see the impacts of this spill on the wildlife of the Gulf.
而且我个人认为,我们还没有看到这次原油泄漏对于墨西哥湾的野生动物们的影响。
We started hypothesizing: what do we know? what do with think would be a trophic cascade?
我们不禁开始猜测:我们究竟对事实知道多少?什么又会造成食物链崩溃?
which means that somebody gets wiped out, and then everything above that's eating those guys will crash.
即当一个生物消失之后,它食物链中的所有上级生物都会一起消亡的现象。
So our thought was -- this is a simple thinking process, but... obviously the plankton, the planktivores, and that's about as far as we got.
我们的想法是一个很简单的构想,但至少会包括浮游生物和吃浮游生物的其它生物。
And then it turns out we're not very good at figuring this stuff out.
目前我们就到这一步,并且我们发现我们对这些内容搞得不是很清楚。
This is what the Exxon Valdez scientists thought would happen,
这是关于瓦迪兹号事件的科学家的假想,
this trophic cascade where you lose the kelp and the herring and other fishes and going up.
食物链崩溃会从海草和青鱼开始,然后不断向食物链上级发展。
They thought that eventually the killer whale would be at the top of this cascade.
他们认为虎鲸会是这场崩溃的最终受害者。
And then here's what really happened, much more complicated, much more specific.
然后真实的情况更加复杂,更加具体。
Actually the kelp and the barnacles that attach to the rock were decimated by the combination of Corexit and the oil.
那些依附于石头上的海草以及藤壶首当其冲,大批牺牲于Corexit和原油的混合物。
They were replaced by invasive species, which had less holding power to the rock.
然后他们被入侵生物所取代,而这些新物种对于岩石的附着力比较弱。
Storms came along. They ripped out of the rock. And this was the entire food web for the sea ducks.
一旦风暴袭来,它们就会从岩石上脱落。而它们恰恰是海鸭所赖以生存的食物。
And as you know, we lost about 300,000 sea ducks from the Exxon Valdez spill, and they haven't come back.
大约三十万只海鸭在瓦迪兹事件中丧生,而它们的数量至今还没有恢复。
So we are launching an independent study. And by independent, I do not mean alone;
因此我们开始了一项独立研究。独立并不意味着独自完成,
I mean independent in the sense of not tied to the kind of crime-scene secrecy that's going on in the Gulf now.
我所说的独立是指我们和墨西哥湾那群试图掩盖罪行的人没有任何利害关系。
But we are actually going to be assessing toxic impacts, but we need lots and lots of partners to do this intelligently.
我们会评估毒物所造成的影响,但是我们需要非常多的合作伙伴来交出一份有说服力的报告。
We have some of the partners lined up. And Dave Gallo signed on. Sylvia's in here.
已经有一些人表明了合作的意向。戴夫·加罗也是其中一员。还有塞维娅。
And we hope that some of you will help us.
我们也希望你们中间会有人来帮助我们。
My question to you is: why shouldn't we know? Don't we have the right to know?
我们的问题是:为什么我们不能知道?是我们没有知道的权利吗?
Surely we have the right to learn what loss we are going through in the Gulf.
显然不是。我们有权利知道墨西哥湾究竟遭受了怎样的损失。
And my wish would be -- for the gulf prize -- would be that we have the truth.
我的希望是--对于墨西哥湾事件的希望是:我们能够了解真相。
Whatever it is, please let us have the truth.
无论真相是什么,至少,请让我们了解它。
And to get there, we need to do the assessment. So I appreciate being here. Thank you.
为了达到这一目标,我们需要做更详尽的评估。很荣幸能在这里发言。谢谢!

分享到
重点单词
  • darnv. 织补 n. 补钉 int. 该死(damn的委婉语
  • diversityn. 差异,多样性,分集
  • spillv. 溢出,洒,使 ... 流出,泄漏 n. 溢出,流
  • inhalev. 吸入,吞咽
  • flamen. 火焰,热情 v. 燃烧,面红,爆发 n. 情
  • concentratedadj. 全神贯注的,浓缩的 动词concentrate
  • spokev. 说,说话,演说
  • collectv. 收集,聚集 v. 推论 adv. 接收者付款
  • internaladj. 国内的,内在的,身体内部的
  • figuren. 图形,数字,形状; 人物,外形,体型 v. 演算,