(单词翻译:单击)
I want to introduce you to an amazing woman. Her name is Davinia.
我想介绍一个很厉害的女人。她叫达维妮雅。
Davinia was born in Jamaica, emigrated to the US at the age of 18, and now lives just outside of Washington, DC.
达维妮雅出生在牙买加,18岁时移民去了美国,现在住在华盛顿的外面。
She's not a high-powered political staffer, nor a lobbyist.
她不是有权力的政治家,也不是一个说客,
She'd probably tell you she's quite unremarkable, but she's having the most remarkable impact.
她可能会告诉你,她挺不起眼的,但她却造成了非凡的影响。
What's incredible about Davinia is that she's willing to spend time every single week focused on people who are not her:
她不可思议的地方在于,她愿意每周花时间去专注于那些和她没有关系的人,
people not her in her neighborhood, her state, nor even in her country -- people she'd likely never meet.
这些人不是她的邻居,不在她的州,甚至不在她的国家,这些人她可能从未见过。
Davinia's impact started a few years ago when she reached out to all of her friends on Facebook,
达维妮雅的影响开始于几年前,当她在脸书伸手向朋友寻求帮助,
and asked them to donate their pennies so she could fund girls' education.
让他们捐助一些小钱,她就可以资助女孩的教育发展。
She wasn't expecting a huge response, but 700,000 pennies later, she's now sent over 120 girls to school.
她没想过有这么大的回应,但她后来获得了700000便士,她可以让120个女孩上学校了。
When we spoke last week, she told me she's become a little infamous at the local bank
我们上个星期刚刚谈过,她说她在当地银行不怎么受欢,
every time she rocks up with a shopping cart full of pennies.
因为每次她都慢慢地推着一推车的便士来到银行。
Now -- Davinia is not alone. Far from it. She's part of a growing movement.
现在,达维妮雅并不孤单。远非如此。她不过是蓬勃发展运动中的一部分。
And there's a name for people like Davinia: global citizens.
有一个词可以形容他们:世界公民。
A global citizen is someone who self-identifies first and foremost not as a member of a state, a tribe or a nation,
世界公民是指那些不将自我定义成一个国家、部落或者民族的成员,
but as a member of the human race, and someone who is prepared to act on that belief, to tackle our world's greatest challenges.
而是整个人类中的一员,并且他们已经为遵循这条信念做好了准备,去解决世界最困难的挑战。
Our work is focused on finding, supporting and activating global citizens.
我们的工作就是找到支持和动员这些世界公民。
They exist in every country and among every demographic.
他们存在于每个国家,存在于众多人当中。
I want to make the case to you today that the world's future depends on global citizens.
我今天会举一个实例,表明世界公民将决定世界的未来。
I'm convinced that if we had more global citizens active in our world,
我很确信,如果我们的世界有更多的世界公民参与,
then every single one of the major challenges we face
那我们现在面对的各种挑战,
from poverty, climate change, gender inequality -- these issues become solvable. They are ultimately global issues,
例如贫穷、气候变化、性别歧视,这些都可以得到解决。他们最终都会成为世界性问题,
and they can ultimately only be solved by global citizens demanding global solutions from their leaders.
并且最终通过世界公民向他们的领导者寻求全球性的解决方案的方式解决。
Now, some people's immediate reaction to this idea is that it's either a bit utopian or even threatening.
现在,有些人第一反应觉得这个想法有点理想化,甚至有些危险。
So I'd like to share with you a little of my story today,
所以今天想告诉你们一个我的小故事,
how I ended up here, how it connects with Davinia and, hopefully, with you.
告诉你我是怎么最后站在这里的,以及这个故事是如何与达维尼亚联系的,并且可以的话,让你产生共鸣。
Growing up in Melbourne, Australia, I was one of those seriously irritating little kids that never, ever stopped asking, "Why?"
我在澳大利亚的墨尔本长大,我曾是最调皮捣蛋的小孩子之一,并且不停地喜欢问为什么。
You might have been one yourself. I used to ask my mum the most annoying questions.
你可能也是这样。我曾经问过我妈妈一个最恼人的问题。
I'd ask her questions like, "Mum, why I can't I dress up and play with puppets all day?"
我问的是:“妈妈,为什么我不能穿衣打扮,然后跟木偶玩上一整天?”
"Why do you want fries with that?"
“为什么你要薯条跟这个放一起呢?”
"What is a shrimp, and why do we have to keep throwing them on the barbie?"
“虾是什么,而且为什么我们要把这货扔到芭比娃娃的头上?”
"And mum -- this haircut. Why?" The worst haircut, I think. Still terrible.
“妈妈,我的发型为什么要弄成这样。”我觉得是史上最丑头型,现在也是。
As a "why" kid, I thought I could change the world, and it was impossible to convince me otherwise.
作为一个喜欢问为什么的男孩,我觉得我可以改变世界,而且那时我不可能会被说服。
And when I was 12 and in my first year of high school, I started raising money for communities in the developing world.
我12岁在初中的第一年,我开始筹钱去帮助那些发展中国家的社区。
We were a really enthusiastic group of kids, and we raised more money than any other school in Australia.
我们是一帮热情四溢的小毛孩儿,而且我们在澳大利亚筹到了最多的钱。
And so I was awarded the chance to go to the Philippines to learn more. It was 1998.
因此我也得到了一个去菲律宾学习更多的机会。那时是1998年。
We were taken into a slum in the outskirts of Manila.
我们被带到马尼拉郊外的一个贫民窑里。
It was there I became friends with Sonny Boy, who lived on what was literally a pile of steaming garbage.
在那里我和一个叫桑尼的男孩成为了朋友,他简直是生活在一堆冒热气的垃圾当中。
"Smoky Mountain" was what they called it.
他们管这些垃圾叫“冒烟的山”。
But don't let the romance of that name fool you, because it was nothing more than a rancid landfill
不要被这浪漫的名字给诱惑了,因为它只不过是散着恶臭味的垃圾堆,
that kids like Sonny Boy spent hours rummaging through every single day to find something, anything of value.
这些像桑尼的孩子却要每天花大量的时间去搜寻这些垃圾,看里面有没有什么值钱的东西。
That night with Sonny Boy and his family changed my life forever,
那个夜晚,桑尼和他的家庭永久性地改变了我,
because when it came time to go to sleep, we simply laid down on this concrete slab the size of half my bedroom with myself,
因为当我们到了睡觉的时间,我们睡在混凝土的地板上,而它只有我的卧室一半大,却住着我
Sonny Boy, and the rest of his family, seven of us in this long line,
桑尼和他的整个家庭,7个人睡成一条长线,
with the smell of rubbish all around us and cockroaches crawling all around.
闻着身边垃圾的臭味,蟑螂遍地都是。
And I didn't sleep a wink, but I lay awake thinking to myself,
我一直睡不着,我一边清醒着,一边问自己,
"Why should anyone have to live like this when I have so much?
“为什么会有人住在这样的地方?
Why should Sonny Boy's ability to live out his dreams be determined by where he's born,
当我有那么优厚的条件的时候,为什么桑尼实现他梦想的能力却由他的出生所决定?
or what Warren Buffett called 'the ovarian lottery?'"
或者就像巴菲特说的“中了一张排卵彩票”?”
I just didn't get it, and I needed to understand why.
我就是不理解,而且我需要知道为什么。
Now, I only later came to understand that the poverty I'd seen in the Philippines
我后来才理解,我在菲律宾看到的贫穷
was the result of decisions made or not made, man-made,
是各种决定和未决定,由人制造的结果,
by a succession of colonial powers and corrupt governments who had anything but the interests of Sonny Boy at heart.
像一个接一个的殖民列强或是腐败的政府,拥有一切,却对桑尼男孩这样的人的生活毫无兴趣。
Sure, they didn't create Smoky Mountain, but they may as well have.
它们没有直接创造出“冒烟山”,却也参与到了其中。
And if we're to try to help kids like Sonny Boy,
如果我们想要帮助像桑尼男孩的孩子们,
it wouldn't work just to try to send him a few dollars or to try to clean up the garbage dump on which he lived,
给他们一点小钱,或者清理他们的垃圾,都没有太大的用处,
because the core of the problem lay elsewhere.
因为核心的问题还没有解决。
And as I worked on community development projects over the coming years trying to help build schools, train teachers,
在那几年,我在那里的社区发展项目工作,试着帮助他们建学校、培训老师、
and tackle HIV and AIDS, I came to see that community development should be driven by communities themselves,
应对艾滋病,我开始发现社区的发展应该是由社区自身来驱动的,
and that although charity is necessary, it's not sufficient.
虽然对他们的施舍是必要的,但这些还不够。
We need to confront these challenges on a global scale and in a systemic way.
我们必须要用一个系统的方法来面对这些全球性的困难。
And the best thing I could do is try to mobilize a large group of citizens back home
我能做的最好的就是,就是动员这些世界公民们回家,
to insist that our leaders engage in that systemic change.
去坚持让我们的领导者加入到这样系统性的改变当中。
That's why, a few years later,
这也是为什么,几年以后,
I joined with a group of college friends in bringing the Make Poverty History campaign to Australia.
我跟我一群大学的朋友一起在澳大利亚开展“让贫穷成为历史”的运动。
We had this dream of staging this small concert around the time of the G20 with local Aussie artists,
秉持着这样的梦想,我们开展了一个小型的音乐会,就在G20峰会期间,囊括了许多澳大利亚艺人
and it suddenly exploded one day when we got a phone call from Bono, the Edge and Pearl Jam,
这个活动突然获得了巨大的成功,我们接到来自波诺,边缘乐队,珍珠果酱乐队的电话,
who all agreed to headline our concert. I got a little bit excited that day, as you can see.
他们都答应来参加我们的音乐会。那天我有点激动,你可以看得出来。
But to our amazement, the Australian government heard our collective voices,
但令我们惊讶的是,澳大利亚政府听到了我们集体的声音,
and they agreed to double investment into global health and development -- an additional 6.2 billion dollars.
他们答应将对全球的健康和发展的支持提高一倍,增加了额外的总共62亿美元。
It felt like -- It felt like this incredible validation.
这感觉就像--这感觉就像一个不可思议的验证。
By rallying citizens together, we helped persuade our government to do the unthinkable,
通过将世界公民团结在一起,我们说服了我们的政府去做一些不敢想象的事情,
and act to fix a problem miles outside of our borders.
并采取行动去解决那些我们边界外的数英里远的地区的问题。
But here's the thing: it didn't last.
但是问题是,这并没有持续很久。
See, there was a change in government, and six years later, all that new money disappeared.
政府里面也发生了变化,6年以后,所有之前额外加入的钱一个子也没有了。
What did we learn? We learned that one-off spikes are not enough.
我们从中学到了什么?我们学到了仅仅昙花一现是不够的。
We needed a sustainable movement, not one that is susceptible to the fluctuating moods of a politician or the hint of an economic downturn.
我们需要的是可以不断持续的运动,而不会时常受到情绪时常波动的政治家和经济衰退的影响。
And it needed to happen everywhere; otherwise, every individual government would have this built-in excuse mechanism
那就要使运动发生在世界各地,否则,每个政府就有理由推托说
that they couldn't possibly carry the burden of global action alone.
这些的全球性的负担它们不能独自承受。
And so this is what we embarked upon. And as we embarked upon this challenge,
这也是我们开始做的。开始做之前,
we asked ourselves, how do we gain enough pressure and build a broad enough army to win these fights for the long term?
我们问了自己一个问题,我们要怎样获得足够的压力,以建立一只足够强大的部队,来长期地赢得这场战争?
We could only think of one way.
我们只想出了一种办法。
We needed to somehow turn that short-term excitement of people involved with the Make Poverty History campaign into long-term passion.
我们需要以某种方式,让人们对于参与对抗贫穷的运动,从短时间的兴奋变为长时间的激情。
It had to be part of their identity. So in 2012, we cofounded an organization that had exactly that as its goal.
让这样的激情成为他身份当中的一部分。所以在2012年,我们一起成立了一个组织,来专门为了达成这个目标。
And there was only one name for it: Global Citizen.
这个组织只有一个名字:世界公民。
But this is not about any one organization. This is about citizens taking action.
但这又不像是任何一个组织。而是这些公民们积极采取行动。
And research data tells us that of the total population who even care about global issues,
研究数据表明,关注世界问题的总人口当中,
only 18 percent have done anything about it. It's not that people don't want to act.
大概只有18%的人付出了行动。不是人们不想做。
It's often that they don't know how to take action, or that they believe that their actions will have no effect.
而是他们不知道怎么做,或者他们觉得他们的行动起不到作用。
So we had to somehow recruit and activate millions of citizens in dozens of countries to put pressure on their leaders to behave altruistically.
所以我们需要以某种方式,招募和激励这数百万的来自几十个国家的公民,让他们向领导人施压,使他们更为无私。
And as we did so, we discovered something really thrilling, that when you make global citizenship your mission,
当我们这样做之后,我们发现了一些兴奋的事情,当你把世界公民运动当做你的任务,
you suddenly find yourself with some extraordinary allies.
你突然就发现你有一群非凡的盟友。
See, extreme poverty isn't the only issue that's fundamentally global.
极端贫穷不是全球问题的全部。
So, too, is climate change, human rights, gender equality, even conflict.
还有气候变化、人权、性别平等,甚至战争。
We found ourselves shoulder to shoulder with people who are passionate about targeting all these interrelated issues.
我们发现我们正与那些同样对解决全球问题有激情的人们协同作战。
But how did we actually go about recruiting and engaging those global citizens?
但是我们要怎么样去招募并让这些世界公民参与到活动中来呢?
Well, we used the universal language: music.
我们用了世界共同的语言:音乐。
We launched the Global Citizen Festival in the heart of New York City in Central Park,
我们创立了世界公民节日,就在纽约的中心,中央公园里,
and we persuaded some of the world's biggest artists to participate.
我们说服了一些世界最有名的音乐家来参加。
We made sure that these festivals coincided with the UN General Assembly meeting,
我们确保这些节日跟联合国大会会议一并进行,
so that leaders who need to hear our voices couldn't possible ignore them.
让那些需要听到我们的声音的领导者们没办法去忽略它们。
But there was a twist: you couldn't buy a ticket.
不过有一个小转折的地方:你不能买门票。
You had to earn it. You had to take action on behalf of a global cause,
你必须通过实际行动来赢得。你必须去做那些能够代表全球事业的事情,
and only once you'd done that could you earn enough points to qualify.
只有这样你才能得到足够的点数来获取资格。
Activism is the currency. I had no interest in citizenship purely as some sort of feel-good thing.
行动才是唯一的通行证。我对世界公民这个无非只是些让你自我感觉良好的身份没有兴趣。
For me, citizenship means you have to act, and that's what we required.
对我而言,享有世界公民身份意味着你必须要行动,这才是我们所需要的。
And amazingly, it worked. Last year, more than 155,000 citizens in the New York area alone earned enough points to qualify.
好的是,它起作用了。去年,有超过15.5万的公民们在纽约各自赢得了足够参与音乐会的点数。
Globally, we've now signed up citizens in over 150 countries around the world.
我们在全球登记了超过150国家的世界公民。
And last year, we signed up more than 100,000 new members each and every week of the whole year.
去年,我们全年的每个星期就登记了超过10万名新成员。
See, we don't need to create global citizens from nothing. We're already everywhere.
看到了吗,我们不需要创造什么世界公民出来。我们已经存在于这个世界了。
We just need to be organized and motivated to start acting.
我们只需要被组织或者被动员起来去采取行动。
And this is where I believe we can learn a lot from Davinia, who started taking action as a global citizen back in 2012.
并且这也是我相信我们可以从达尼维雅那里学到许多东西,她在2012年就作为世界公民,开展了许多行动。
Here's what she did. It wasn't rocket science. She started writing letters, emailing politicians' offices.
这是她在做的。这可不是什么火箭科技。她开始写信,写给那些政要的办公室。
She volunteered her time in her local community.
她把时间用来在她当地的社区做志愿者。
That's when she got active on social media and started to collect pennies -- a lot of pennies.
这是当她在社交媒体上活跃的时候,并收集硬币,很多硬币。
Now, maybe that doesn't sound like a lot to you. How will that achieve anything?
现在,可能这些听上去不是很多。那它是如何把一切都实现的呢?
Well, it achieved a lot because she wasn't alone.
取得大量的成效是因为她不是孤单作战。
Her actions, alongside 142,000 other global citizens',
她的行动,以及旁边142000个其他的世界公民们,
led the US government to double their investment into Global Partnership for Education.
让美国政府增加了一倍的投资到那些为教育服务的全球性合伙企业中去。
And here's Dr. Raj Shah, the head of USAID, making that announcement.
这是Raj Shah博士,他是美国国际开发署的领袖,发布了一个声明。
See, when thousands of global citizens find inspiration from each other, it's amazing to see their collective power.
看到了么,当成千上万世界公民发现了彼此的激情,他们集体的力量是惊人的。
Global citizens like Davinia helped persuade the World Bank to boost their investment into water and sanitation.
像达尼维雅一样的世界公民们,去说服世界银行,让他们增加水源和环境卫生的投资。
Here's the Bank's president Jim Kim announcing 15 billion dollars onstage at Global Citizen,
这是银行的董事长吉姆·金宣布投资150亿美元给世界公民们
and Prime Minister Modi of India affirmed his commitment to put a toilet in every household and school across India by 2019.
另外,印度总理莫迪保证在2019年前给每一个家庭和学校修建厕所。
Global citizens encouraged by the late-night host Stephen Colbert launched a Twitter invasion on Norway.
全球公民受到深夜秀主持人史蒂芬·科尔伯特的鼓励,他们在挪威发动了一次推特入侵。
Erna Solberg, the country's Prime Minister, got the message, committing to double investment into girls' education.
让挪威首相艾娜·瑟尔贝克也收到了世界公民的信息,承诺要在女子教育上增加一倍的经费。
Global citizens together with Rotarians called on the Canadian, UK, and Australian governments to boost their investment into polio eradication.
全球公民与扶轮社友共同呼吁加拿大、英国及澳大利亚政府,增加他们在根除小儿麻痺症上的经费。
They got together and committed 665 million dollars.
他们聚在一起并承诺总共要投入6.65亿美元。
But despite all of this momentum, we face some huge challenges.
但尽管有这一切的造势活动,我们仍面临着很大的挑战。
See, you might be thinking to yourself, how can we possibly persuade world leaders to sustain a focus on global issues?
你看,你自己可能会想,我们要如何说服全球的领袖持续关注全球问题呢?
Indeed, the powerful American politician Tip O'Neill once said, "All politics is local."
的确,有影响力的美国政治家提普·欧尼尔曾说:“所有的政治都是地方政治。”
That's what always got politicians elected:
这也是为什么政客总是会被选上的原因:
to seek, gain and hold onto power through the pursuit of local or at very best national interests.
他们透过为当地或国家追求最大的利益,来为自己寻找、取得并掌控权利。
I experienced this for the first time when I was 21 years old.
我在21岁的时候,第一次经历了这一情况。
I took a meeting with a then-Australian Foreign Minister who shall remain nameless --
我与当时的澳大利亚外交部长会面,我就不要说是谁了...
And behind closed doors, I shared with him my passion to end extreme poverty.
关上门后,我向他分享了我对终结极端贫困的雄心壮志。
I said, "Minister -- Australia has this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to help achieve the Millennium Development Goals. We can do this."
我说:“部长,澳大利亚这次有一个千载难逢的机会,可以帮助联合国达成千禧年发展目标。我们做得到!”
And he paused, looked down on me with cold, dismissive eyes, and he said, "Hugh, no one gives a funk about foreign aid."
然后他停顿了一下,用无情鄙视的眼神,看着我说:“休,没有人会鸟国际援助的。”
Except he didn't use the word "funk." He went on. He said we need to look after our own backyard first.
但他没有用鸟这个字。他接着说,我们要先照顾好自家后院。
This is, I believe, outdated, even dangerous thinking.
我相信,这是相当过时,甚至危险的想法。
Or as my late grandfather would say, complete BS. Parochialism offers this false dichotomy
或者就如同我已故祖父会说的,根本是狗屎。狭隘主义者灌输了我们这种错误的二分法,
because it pits the poor in one country against the poor in another.
因为这是逼迫一个国家的穷人去对付另一个国家的穷人。
It pretends we can isolate ourselves and our nations from one another.
好像假装我们的国家可以与其他的国家没有关系一样。
The whole world is our backyard, and we ignore it at our peril.
整个世界就是我们的后院,但我们却冒险忽略这件事。
See, look what happened when we ignored Rwanda, when we ignore Syria, when we ignore climate change.
你看,当我们忽视了卢安达、忽视了叙利亚、忽视了气候变迁,结果呢?
Political leaders ought to give a "funk" because the impact of climate change and extreme poverty comes right to our shore.
政治领导人应该要鸟一下了,因为环境变迁及极度贫困的影响已经来到我们身边。
Now, global citizens -- they understand this.
现在,全球公民都了解这件事。
We live in a time that favors the global citizen, in an age where every single voice can be heard.
我们生活在一个有利于全球公民的时代,一个每个声音都可以被倾听到的年代。
See, do you remember when the Millennium Development Goals were signed back in the year 2000?
各位还记得2000年各国签署的千禧年发展目标吗?
The most we could do in those days was fire off a letter and wait for the next election. There was no social media.
那些日子我们最多能做的就是火力全开地发信,并期待下一次的选举。当时没有社交媒体。
Today, billions of citizens have more tools, more access to information, more capacity to influence than ever before.
今日,十几亿的市民有更多的工具,更容易取得信息,比以前更有能力可以影响他们。
Both the problems and the tools to solve them are right before us.
问题与解决的方法就在我们面前。
The world has changed, and those of us who look beyond our borders are on the right side of history. So where are we?
世界已经改变,那些把眼光放远到国界以外的人,他们是站在人类历史正义的这一边。那我们做到哪了呢?
So we run this amazing festival, we've scored some big policy wins, and citizens are signing up all over the world.
我们举办了这次音乐节的活动,我们取得重大政策的胜利,以及来自世界各地公民登记加入。
But have we achieved our mission? No. We have such a long way to go.
但我们有达成目标了吗?不。我们还有很长的路要走。
But this is the opportunity that I see.
但这是我所看到的机会。
The concept of global citizenship, self-evident in its logic but until now impractical in many ways,
世界公民的概念,它的逻辑很简单易懂,但到目前为止很多方面都还没落实,
has coincided with this particular moment in which we are privileged to live.
刚好就是我们幸福生活的这个特殊时刻。
We, as global citizens, now have a unique opportunity to accelerate large-scale positive change around the world.
我们,身为全球公民,现在有一个难得的机会可以大规模地加速带领全世界变得更好。
So in the months and years ahead, global citizens will hold world leaders accountable
因此,在往后的岁月里,全球公民将协助世界领导人扛起责任,
to ensure that the new Global Goals for Sustainable Development are tracked and implemented.
确保新的全球永续发展目标能确实追踪和实施。
Global citizens will partner with the world's leading NGOs to end diseases like polio and malaria.
全球公民将与非政府组织联手,一起终结小儿麻痺和疟疾等疾病。
Global citizens will sign up in every corner of this globe, increasing the frequency, quality and impact of their actions.
全球公民将在世界各地登记参与,增加他们活动的频率、质量与影响力。
These dreams are within reach.
这些梦想触手可及。
Imagine an army of millions growing into tens of millions, connected, informed, engaged and unwilling to take no for an answer.
想象一下百万军队成长到千万军队,彼此连结、通知、参与,而且不接受否定的答案。
Over all these years, I've tried to reconnect with Sonny Boy. Sadly, I've been unable to.
这些年来,我尝试与桑尼男孩重新联系。遗憾的是,我没有做到。
We met long before social media, and his address has now been relocated by the authorities, as often happens with slums.
我们之前透过社群媒体联络,他现在的住家已经被官方重新安置,这种事很常发生在贫民窟。
I'd love to sit down with him, wherever he is, and share with him how much the time I spent on Smoky Mountain inspired me.
我很想再坐到他的身旁,不论他现在在哪里,我想和他分享我在冒烟山的那段激励我的日子。
Thanks to him and so many others, I came to understand the importance of being part of a movement of people
感谢他及其他帮助过我的人,让我了解成为推动人类转变一分子的重要性
the kids willing to look up from their screens and out to the world, the global citizens.
那些愿意将目光从荧幕上移开、望向世界的孩子们,就是世界公民。
Global citizens who stand together, who ask the question "Why?," who reject the naysayers,
世界公民会站在一起,问“为什么?”。世界公民拒绝悲观主义者,
and embrace the amazing possibilities of the world we share.
并拥抱充满美好未来可能性的共同世界。
I'm a global citizen. Are you? Thank you.
我是世界公民。你呢?谢谢各位!