我们在巴厘岛向塑料袋说不
日期:2017-09-16 17:57

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

Bali -- island of gods.
巴厘岛--神明之岛。
A green paradise.
绿色的天堂。
Or...a paradise lost. Bali: island of garbage.
或者是...失落的天堂。巴厘岛:垃圾之岛。
In Bali, we generate 680 cubic meters of plastic garbage a day. That's about a 14-story building.
在巴厘岛,我们一天会制造出680立方米的塑料垃圾。
And when it comes to plastic bags, less than five percent gets recycled.
这大约有14层楼高。说到塑料袋,它的回收率小于5%。
We know that changes the image you may have of our island.
我们知道也许你们对我们岛的印象已经改变了。
It changed ours, too, when we learned about it,
当我们知道的时候,我们的印象也变了,
when we learned that almost all plastic bags in Bali end up in our drains and then in our rivers and then in our ocean.
我们知道了几乎所有巴厘岛上的塑料袋最后会流到我们的下水道,然后转进我们的河流,最后流入我们的海洋。
And those that don't even make it to the ocean, they're either burned or littered.
而那些没有流进海洋的,它们不是被焚化就是被乱丢弃掉。
So we decided to do something about it.
所以,我们决定要做些事情。
And we've been working for almost three years now to try to say no to plastic bags on our home island.
到现在为止我们已经做了快三年,尝试在我们岛上的家园,向塑料袋说不。
And we have had some significant successes.
而且我们有相当显著的成功。
We are sisters, and we go to the best school on earth: Green School, Bali.
我们是姐妹,我们在地球上最棒的学校上课:巴厘岛的格林学校。
Green School is not only different in the way that it is built out of bamboo, but also in the way that it teaches.
格林学校的不同之处,除了它是由竹子建造而成,还有它的教学方式。
We are taught to become leaders of today, something a normal textbook cannot match.
我们被教导成为今日的领袖,一些在普通教科书上学不到的东西。
One day we had a lesson in class where we learned about significant people, like Nelson Mandela, Lady Diana and Mahatma Gandhi.
有一天,我们上了一堂课,学习了一些名人,比如尼尔森·曼德拉、戴安娜夫人、圣雄甘地。
Walking home that day, we agreed that we also wanted to be significant.
那天回家的路上,我们达成一个共识:我们也想成为这样的名人。
Why should we wait until we were grown up to be significant? We wanted to do something now.
那为什么我们要等到长大时才能成为名人呢?我们现在就想做一些事。
Sitting on the sofa that night, we brainstormed and thought of all the issues facing Bali.
坐在沙发上的那一晚,我们开始了头脑风暴,思考巴厘岛现在所面临的问题。
And one thing that stood out to us the most was the plastic garbage. But that is a huge problem.
而其中一个常常出现在我们面前的就是塑料垃圾。但这可是个大问题。
So we looked into what was a realistic target for us kids: plastic bags. And the idea was born.
所以我们确定了我们这些小孩实际的目标是什么:就是塑料袋。想法诞生了。
We started researching, and let's just say, the more we learned, there was nothing good about plastic bags.
我们开始研究,这么说好了,我们了解的越多,我们越明白塑料袋一点好处也没有。
And you know what? We don't even need them.
而且你知道吗?我们根本不需要它们。
We were really inspired by the efforts to say no to plastic bags in many other places,
在很多其他地方举办的“向塑料袋说不”的活动深深激励了我们,
from Hawaii to Rwanda and to severals cities like Oakland and Dublin.
从夏威夷到卢旺达,还有几个城市,比如奥克兰或都柏林。
And so the idea turned into the launch of "Bye Bye Plastic Bags."
所以我们把想法转换成发起“拜拜了,塑料袋”活动。
In the years that we have been campaigning, we have learned a lot.
这几年我们一直在办活动,这让我们学到很多。
Lesson number one: you cannot do it all by yourself.
第一课:你不要全都自己一个人做。
You need a big team of like-minded kids, and so we formed the Bye Bye Plastic Bags crew.
你需要有一个志趣相投的孩子们组成的大团队,所以我们成立了“拜拜了,塑料袋”工作组。
The volunteer team includes children from all over the island, from both international and local schools.
志愿者团队来自于从全岛范围内召集的孩子们,包含国际及当地学校。
And together with them, we started a multi-layered approach, based on an on- and off-line signature petition,
跟他们一起,我们开始了一种多层级方法,主要是一些线上线下的签名请愿书活动,
educational and inspirational presentations at schools and we raise general awareness at markets, festivals, beach clean-ups.
以及在学校举办的含有教育寓意及鼓舞人心的演讲,我们也在市场、节庆、海滩清洁活动上提高大众的意识。
And last but not least, we distribute alternative bags, bags like net bags,
最后但同样重要的一点,我们给大家分发替代塑料袋的袋子,比如网袋,
recycled newspaper bags or 100 percent organic material bags, all made by local initiatives on the island.
可循环利用的报纸袋,或是100%有机材料袋,这些全是当地岛上的自发团体制作的。
We run a pilot village, home of 800 families.
我们运作了一个试点村,包含800户家庭。
The village mayor was our first friend and he loved our T-shirts, so that helped.
村长是我们第一个朋友,他很喜欢我们的T恤,这很有帮助。
We focused on making the customers aware, because that's where the change needs to happen.
我们专注于建立顾客意识,因为那是需要改变的一点。
The village is already two-thirds along the way of becoming plastic bag free.
村庄有三分之二的区域已经成为了无塑料袋区域。
Our first attempts to get the government of Bali on board failed.
我们第一次尝试邀请巴厘岛政府参加活动时失败了。
So we thought, "Hmm ... a petition with one million signatures. They can't ignore us, right?" Right!
所以我们想,“嗯...如果有一百万份签名的请愿书,他们应该就不会忽视我们了,对吧?”对!
But, who would have guessed one million signatures is, like, a thousand times a thousand?
但是,大家认真算一下,100万个签名,是不是1000乘以1000啊?
We got stuck -- till we learned lesson number two: think outside the box.
我们碰到瓶颈了--直到我们学到了第二课:跳脱框架,另类思考。
Someone mentioned that the Bali airport handles 16 million arrivals and departures a year.
有人曾经说过巴厘岛机场每年要处理1600万人次的出入境旅客。
But how do we get into the airport? And here comes lesson number three: persistence.
但我们怎么才能进到机场里面呢?所以就有了第三课:坚持。
Off we headed to the airport. We got past the janitor.
我们前往机场,我们通过门卫,
And then it was his boss's boss, and then the assistant office manager, and then the office manager,
然后去找他的上级的上级,然后是办公室经理助理,然后是办公室经理,
and then ... we got shuffled down two levels and thought, well, here comes the janitor again.
再接着...我们没成功,又向后退了两步,我们想道,好吧,我们又回到门卫这里了。
And after several days knocking on doors and just being kids on a mission, we finally got to the commercial manager of Bali airports.
经过了几天的敲门一直以小孩子的身份进行任务,我们最终找到了巴厘岛机场的商业部经理,
And we gave him the "Bali of plastic bags" speech, and being a very nice man, he said,
然后我们向他讲演了“巴厘岛的塑料袋”的内容,他人很好,他说,
"I cannot believe what I'm about say, but I'm going to give authorization to collect signatures behind customs and immigrations."
“我都不敢相信自己要说什么,我要授权给你们,你们可以在海关及移民局后面收集签名。”
In our first hour and a half there, we got almost 1,000 signatures. How cool is that?
我们在那里的头一个半小时,就已经拿到快1000个签名了,很酷吧?
Lesson number four: you need champions at all levels of society, from students to commercial managers to famous people.
第四课:你需要社会各界精英的帮助,从学生到商业经理到名人。
And thanks to the attraction of Green School, we had access to a steady stream of celebrities.
多亏了格林学校强大的吸引力,让我们一直有名人可以访问。
Ban Ki Moon taught us that Secretary-Generals of the United Nations don't sign petitions -- even if kids ask nicely.
潘基文让我们懂得了联合国秘书长是不会签请愿书的--即使我们小孩子好好地请求。
But he promised to spread the word, and now we work closely with the United Nations.
但他答应要传递这些讯息,现在我们跟联合国合作地相当密切。
Jane Goodall taught us the power of a people's network.
珍·古道尔让我们懂得了一个人的网络力量。
She started with just one Roots And Shoots group and now she has 4,000 groups around the world.
她是从一个叫“根与芽”的团体开始的,现在她在全世界有4000个团体。
We are one of them. She's a real inspiration. If you're a fellow Rotarian, nice to meet you.
我们是其中之一。她真的很能鼓舞人心。如果你是扶轮社的一员,很高兴见到你。
We're Interactors, the youngest department of Rotary International.
我们是社友,我们组成了国际扶轮社最年轻的部门。

我们在巴厘岛向塑料袋说不

But we have also learned much about patience, how to deal with frustrations, leadership, teamwork, friendship,
我们也学到很多关于耐心的东西,如何处理挫折,领导力,团队合作,友谊,
we learned more about the Balinese and their culture and we learned about the importance of commitment.
我们也学到更多的关于巴厘岛人民以及他们的文化的东西。我们也学到了承诺的重要性。
It's not always easy. Sometimes it does get a little bit hard to walk your talk.
过程并不总是顺利的。有时候,要实践你说过的话确实会有点困难,
But last year, we did exactly that. We went to India to give a talk,
但在去年,我们真的做到了。我们去印度演讲,
and our parents took us to visit the former private house of Mahatma Gandhi.
然后我们的父母带我们去拜访以前圣雄甘地的私人住所。
We learned about the power of hunger strikes he did to reach his goals.
我们学到了绝食抗议的力量,他的确达成了他的目标。
Yes, by the end of the tour, when we met our parents again, we both made a decision and said, "We're going on a hunger strike!"
是的,就在旅行结束前,当我们再次与父母亲碰面时,我们两个做了相同的一个决定并跟他们说,“我们要绝食抗议!”
And you can probably imagine their faces. It took a lot of convincing,
你们大概可以到想像到他们惊讶的表情。我们说服了好久,
and not only to our parents but to our friends and to our teachers as well.
不只我们的父母,还包括我们的朋友及老师。
Isabel and I were serious about doing this.
伊莎贝尔和我都很认真看待这件事。
So we met with a nutritionist, and we came up with a compromise of not eating from sunrise to sunset every day
所以,我们跟一位营养师碰面,然后我们达成了共识,每天日落到日出都不吃东西,
until the governor of Bali would agree to meet with us to talk about how to stop plastic bags on Bali.
直到巴厘岛政府愿意见我们来讨论如何阻止在巴厘岛上使用塑料袋。
Our "mogak makan," as it is called in Bahasa Indonesia, started.
我们的用印度语叫做“mogakmakan”的绝食抗议,开始了。
We used social media to support our goal and already on day two, police started to come to our home and school.
我们运用社交媒体来支持我们的行动,就在第二天,警察就到了我们的家里和学校。
What were these two girls doing?
这两个女孩在搞什么?
We knew we weren't making the governor look his best by doing this food strike -- we could have gone to jail.
我们知道我们不能藉由绝食抗议来要求政府做事--这样我们可能会坐牢。
But, hey, it worked. Twenty-four hours later, we were picked up from school and escorted to the office of the governor.
但是,你看,有效了。24小时之后,我们从学校被带走,然后被护送到政府办公室,
And there he was -- waiting for us to meet and speak,
而他就在那--在等着跟我们见面说话,
being all supportive and thankful for our willingness to care for the beauty and the environment of Bali.
他全力支持和感谢我们对巴厘岛的环境与美丽所付出的努力和关心。
He signed a promise to help the people of Bali say no to plastic bags.
他签署了一项承诺,来帮助巴厘岛人民“向塑料袋说再见”。
And we are now friends, and on a regular basis, we remind him and his team of the promises he has made.
现在我们是朋友了,而且我们还定期地提醒他及他的团队他所承诺的事。
And indeed, recently he stated and committed that Bali will be plastic bag free by 2018.
而且真的,最近他公开表示并承诺,到2018年,巴厘岛将会是个无塑料袋的岛。
Also, at the International Airport of Bali, one of our supporters is planning to start a plastic bag-free policy by 2016.
而且,我们的支持者之一,巴厘岛国际机场,计划在2016年前完成无塑料袋政策。
Stop handing out free plastic bags and bring in your own reusable bag is our next message to change that mindset of the public.
别再分发免费的塑料袋了,携带自己的可重复使用的袋子,是我们下一个要改变大众观念的讯息。
Our short-term campaign, "One Island / One Voice," is all about this.
我们的短期活动,“同一座岛,同一个声音”,就是关于这些的。
We check and recognize the shops and restaurants that have declared themselves a plastic bag-free zone,
我们会检查并认证哪些是由它们自己申明的无塑料袋区的商店与餐厅,
and we put this sticker at their entrance and publish their names on social media and some important magazines on Bali.
然后我们会在他们的入口处贴上这个贴纸,并在社交媒体及巴厘岛重要的杂志上公布他们的店名。
And conversely, that highlights those who do not have the sticker.
反之,这样就会凸显那些没有贴纸的店家。
So, why are we actually telling you all of this?
那么,为什么我们一定要告诉你们这些呢?
Well, partly, it is because we are proud of the results that, together with our team, we have been able to reach.
好吧,其中一部分原因是我们对我们一起合作所达成的这样的成果感到很自豪。
But also because along the way, we have learned that kids can do things. We can make things happen.
但也有部分原因是,我们学到了小孩也能做有意义的事。我们能让事情成真。
Isabel and I were only 10 and 12 years old when we started this.
伊莎贝尔和我开始做这件事的时候分别只有10岁和12岁。
We never had a business plan, nor a fixed strategy, nor any hidden agendas
我们从来没做过商业计划,我们没有固定的策略,也没有隐瞒的议程
just the idea in front of us and a group of friends working with us.
我们仅仅有我们眼前的一个理想,以及一群和我们一起奋斗的好伙伴。
All we wanted to do was stop those plastic bags from wrapping and suffocating our beautiful home.
我们要做的就是要停止这些塑料袋继续包围破坏我们美丽的家园。
Kids have a boundless energy and a motivation to be the change the world needs.
对于做世界需求的改变者,孩子们有无穷的能量和动力。
So to all the kids of this beautiful but challenging world: go for it! Make that difference.
所以我们想给在这个美丽又充满挑战的世界上的所有小孩一句话:去做吧!去做些不一样的事。
We're not telling you it's going to be easy. We're telling you it's going to be worth it.
我们不会告诉你这会很简单。我们会告诉你,这很值得。
Us kids may only be 25 percent of the world's population, but we are 100 percent of the future.
我们小孩子虽然仅占世界上25%的人口,但我们才是100%的未来。
We still have a lot of work to do, but know that we still not stop
我们仍有很多事要做,但即使知道如此,我们也不会停下来,
until the first question asked when arriving at the Bali airports will be
直到您抵达巴厘岛机场时,被问到的第一个问题是:
"Welcome to Bali, do you have nay plastic bags to declare?"
“欢迎来到巴厘岛,你有要记录的塑料袋吗?”
Om shanti shanti shanti om. Thank you.
愿宇宙万物和平。谢谢!

分享到
重点单词
  • willingnessn. 乐意,愿意
  • compromisen. 妥协,折衷,折衷案 vt. 妥协处理,危害 vi.
  • boundlessadj. 无限的,无穷的,无边无际的
  • commercialadj. 商业的 n. 商业广告
  • checkn. 检查,支票,账单,制止,阻止物,检验标准,方格图案
  • plasticadj. 塑料的,可塑的,造型的,整形的,易受影响的 n
  • jailn. 监牢,监狱,拘留所 vt. 监禁,下狱
  • networkn. 网络,网状物,网状系统 vt. (以网络)覆
  • petitionn. 祈求,请愿书,诉状 vi. 请愿,祈求 vt. 向
  • pilotn. 飞行员,领航员,引航员 vt. 领航,驾驶,向导