一个碳平衡乃至碳负性的美丽国度
日期:2017-07-29 18:11

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

In case you are wondering, no, I'm not wearing a dress, and no, I'm not saying what I'm wearing underneath.
各位应该在猜想我穿的是什么。不,我穿的不是裙子,但我也不会告诉各位我里面穿什么。
This is a gho. This is my national dress. This is how all men dress in Bhutan. That is how our women dress.
这是“帼”。这是我们国家的传统服饰。不丹的男性都是这样穿,我们的女性是这样穿。
Like our women, we men get to wear pretty bright colors, but unlike our women, we get to show off our legs.
与女性类似,我们男性的服饰都相当靓丽,但我们跟女性不同的地方是,我们可以炫耀一下美腿。
Our national dress is unique, but this is not the only thing that's unique about my country.
我们国家的传统服饰相当独特,但这不是我们国家唯一的特点。
Our promise to remain carbon neutral is also unique,
我们对维持碳平衡的承诺也相当独特,
and this is what I'd like to speak about today, our promise to remain carbon neutral.
而这就是我今天要谈的事:我们国家对维持碳平衡的承诺。
But before I proceed, I should set you the context. I should tell you our story.
但在往下解释之前,我必须先跟各位介绍一下我国。我想先说我们的故事。
Bhutan is a small country in the Himalayas. We've been called Shangri-La, even the last Shangri-La.
不丹是喜马拉雅山上的一个小国家。我们曾被称为“香格里拉”,甚至是世界上最后一个香格里拉。
But let me tell you right off the bat, we are not Shangri-La.
但我要先说清楚,我们不是香格里拉。
My country is not one big monastery populated with happy monks.
我们的国家不是一个大寺庙,里面开心和尚满街跑。
The reality is that there are barely 700,000 of us sandwiched between two of the most populated countries on earth, China and India.
真实的情况是,我们国家不到70万的人口,被夹在全球人口最多的两个国家,中国和印度之间。
The reality is that we are a small, underdeveloped country doing our best to survive.
真实的情况是,我们是一个低度开发小国,尽我们所能的维持生存。
But we are doing OK. We are surviving. In fact, we are thriving,
但我们做的还不错,我们存活下来了。实际上,我们是兴盛的,
and the reason we are thriving is because we've been blessed with extraordinary kings.
我们兴盛的原因是有伟大的国王保佑着我们。
Our enlightened monarchs have worked tirelessly to develop our country,
我们英明的君王孜孜不倦地建设我们的国家,
balancing economic growth carefully with social development, environmental sustainability and cultural preservation,
小心翼翼地将经济增长与社会发展、环境可持续性,以及文化的保存维持平衡。
all within the framework of good governance.
全部都有一个很好的管理架构。
We call this holistic approach to development "Gross National Happiness," or GNH.
我们把这个整体发展的成就叫做“国民幸福总值”,简称GNH。
Back in the 1970s, our fourth king famously pronounced that for Bhutan,
回到20世纪70年代,我们的第四任国王提出了一个著名观点,对于不丹王国,
Gross National Happiness is more important than Gross National Product.
国民幸福总值比国民生产总值重要。
Ever since, all development in Bhutan is driven by GNH,
自此之后,不丹的一切发展都以GNH为基础,
a pioneering vision that aims to improve the happiness and well-being of our people.
这个极具前瞻性的愿景,就是要促进我们国家人民的幸福与福利。
But that's easier said than done, especially when you are one of the smallest economies in the world.
但说比做容易,对于全世界最小的经济体之一则更是如此。
Our entire GDP is less than two billion dollars.
我们全国的国民生产总值不到20亿美金。
I know that some of you here are worth more -- individually than the entire economy of my country.
我知道在座有些人的财产比这多很多--个人的身价,甚至比我国加总起来还要多。
So our economy is small, but here is where it gets interesting. Education is completely free.
所以,我们的经济体很小,但这也是有趣的地方。我们的教育完全免费。
All citizens are guaranteed free school education, and those that work hard are given free college education.
全体公民享有免费的学校教育,努力工作的人享有免费的大学教育。
Healthcare is also completely free. Medical consultation, medical treatment, medicines: they are all provided by the state.
卫生保健也是完全免费。诊断、医疗、药品:全部由政府提供。
We manage this because we use our limited resources very carefully,
我们能够做到这些,是因为我们很小心翼翼地使用我们有限的资源,
and because we stay faithful to the core mission of GNH, which is development with values.
也因为我们忠于GNH的核心任务,也就是有价值的发展。
Our economy is small, and we must strengthen it.
我们的经济体小,而我们必须强化它。
Economic growth is important, but that economic growth must not come from undermining our unique culture or our pristine environment.
经济成长很重要,但经济成长不能建立在破坏我们的独特文化或纯净的原始环境之上。
Today, our culture is flourishing.
今日,我们的文化是繁荣的。
We continue to celebrate our art and architecture, food and festivals, monks and monasteries.
我们会继续歌颂我们的艺术和建筑、食物和节日、僧侣和寺庙。
And yes, we celebrate our national dress, too. This is why I can wear my gho with pride.
当然,我们也会歌颂我们国家的服饰。这就是为什么我可以无比自豪地穿着“帼”。
Here's a fun fact: you're looking at the world's biggest pocket.
这里有一件有趣的事实:你现在看到的是全世界最大的口袋。
It starts here, goes around the back, and comes out from inside here.
口袋从这边开始,一直到后面,然后,从这里面出来。
In this pocket we store all manner of personal goods from phones and wallets to iPads, office files and books.
在口袋里,我们放进了所有的个人物品,从手机和皮夹,到iPad、办公文件还有书。
But sometimes -- sometimes even precious cargo.
但有时候--有时候甚至是我们珍贵的宝宝。
So our culture is flourishing, but so is our environment. 72 percent of my country is under forest cover.
我们的文化是欣欣向荣的,我们的环境也是。我的国家72%被森林覆盖。
Our constitution demands that a minimum of 60 percent of Bhutan's total land shall remain under forest cover for all time.
我们的宪法规定,不丹至少有60%的土地必须永远维持森林覆盖。
Our constitution, this constitution, imposes forest cover on us.
我们的宪法,这本宪法,将森林覆盖强加在我们的土地上。
Incidentally, our king used this constitution to impose democracy on us.
顺便一提,我们的国王用这本宪法将民主强加在我们身上。
You see, we the people didn't want democracy.
你看,我们的人民不想要民主。
We didn't ask for it, we didn't demand it, and we certainly didn't fight for it.
我们不要求民主,我们不奢求民主,我们更不会为民主而战。
Instead, our king imposed democracy on us by insisting that he include it in the constitution. But he went further.
反而是我们的国王坚持,要在宪法里面强加民主给我们。但他更进一步。
He included provisions in the constitution that empower the people to impeach their kings,
他在宪法里面规定,授权给人民可以弹劾他们的国王,
and included provisions in here that require all our kings to retire at the age of 65.
更在宪法中规定,我们的国王必须在65岁时退休。
Fact is, we already have a king in retirement: our previous king, the Great Fourth,
事实上,我们已经有一个退休的国王:我们的前国王,伟大的四世,
retired 10 years ago at the peak of his popularity. He was all of 51 years at that time.
在10年前,他最受拥戴的时候退休了。他那时候只有51岁。
So as I was saying, 72 percent of our country is under forest cover, and all that forest is pristine.
所以,就如我所说的,我们国家的森林覆盖率为72%,所有的森林都是原始森林。
That's why we are one of the few remaining global biodiversity hotspots in the world,
所以我们是世上少数几个仍保持生物多样性的热门景点,
and that's why we are a carbon neutral country.
而这就是为什么我们是一个碳平衡国家。
In a world that is threatened with climate change, we are a carbon neutral country.
在全球被气候变化所威胁时,我们仍是一个碳平衡国家。
Turns out, it's a big deal. Of the 200-odd countries in the world today,
事实证明,这件事很不得了。当今世界上的200多个国家,
it looks like we are the only one that's carbon neutral. Actually, that's not quite accurate.
看起来,只有我们是唯一一个碳平衡的国家。实际上,这样形容不太准确。
Bhutan is not carbon neutral. Bhutan is carbon negative.
不丹不是碳平衡国家。不丹是碳负性的国家。
Our entire country generates 2.2 million tons of carbon dioxide,
我们整个国家每年产出220万吨的二氧化碳,
but our forests, they sequester more than three times that amount,
但我们的森林固定的碳元素达到这个量的三倍以上,
so we are a net carbon sink for more than four million tons of carbon dioxide each year. But that's not all.
所以我们是一个净碳槽,每年吸收超过400万吨的二氧化碳。但不仅如此。
We export most of the renewable electricity we generate from our fast-flowing rivers.
我们还可以出口大部分从湍急河流产出的可再生电力。
So today, the clean energy that we export offsets about six million tons of carbon dioxide in our neighborhood.
所以现今,我们出口的绿色能源为我们的邻居抵销了大约600万吨的二氧化碳。
By 2020, we'll be exporting enough electricity to offset 17 million tons of carbon dioxide.
在2020年前,我们将出口足够的电力,来抵销1700万吨的二氧化碳。
And if we were to harness even half our hydropower potential, and that's exactly what we are working at,
如果我们能利用至少一半的水力发电潜力,那也是我们正在努力的地方,
the clean, green energy that we export would offset something like 50 million tons of carbon dioxide a year.
我们出口的干净、绿色能源,将每年可以抵消将近5000万吨的二氧化碳。
That is more CO2 than what the entire city of New York generates in one year.
这个数字比纽约整个城市一整年产出的二氧化碳还要多。
So inside our country, we are a net carbon sink. Outside, we are offsetting carbon. And this is important stuff.
所以,对内,我们国家本身就是一个净碳槽。对外,我们还能帮助其它国家减碳。这是很重要的事情。
You see, the world is getting warmer, and climate change is a reality. Climate change is affecting my country.
你看,地球逐渐变暖,而气候变化也是事实。气候变化正在影响我的国家。
Our glaciers are melting, causing flash floods and landslides,
我们的冰川正在融化,造成瞬间的洪水与山崩,
which in turn are causing disaster and widespread destruction in our country.
这些都造成了灾害,而且大范围地重创我们的国家。
I was at that lake recently. It's stunning.
我最近到过这湖边。场景真的令人触目惊心。
That's how it looked 10 years ago, and that's how it looked 20 years ago.
这是它10年前的景色,这是它20年前的景色,
Just 20 years ago, that lake didn't exist. It was a solid glacier.
才20年前,那个湖根本不存在啊!它之前是固态的冰川。
A few years ago, a similar lake breached its dams and wreaked havoc in the valleys below.
几年前,一个类似的湖泊冲破了堤坝,在下游的山谷造成严重破坏。
That destruction was caused by one glacier lake. We have 2,700 of them to contend with.
这个破坏是由一个冰川湖所造成。我们有2700个这种湖泊要应付。
The point is this: my country and my people have done nothing to contribute to global warming,
但重点是:我的国家跟人民并没有做什么事使得全球变暖更加严重,
but we are already bearing the brunt of its consequences.
但我们却首当其冲地要面对全球变暖所造成的后果。

一个碳平衡乃至碳负性的美丽国度

And for a small, poor country, one that is landlocked and mountainous, it is very difficult.
这对一个贫困、多山的内陆小国而言是相当艰辛的。
But we are not going to sit on our hands doing nothing. We will fight climate change.
但我们不会两手一摊什么事都不做。我们会为气候变化而战。
That's why we have promised to remain carbon neutral.
这也是为什么我们承诺保持碳平衡的原因。
We first made this promise in 2009 during COP 15 in Copenhagen, but nobody noticed.
我们早在2009年,就首次宣示这项承诺,就在哥本哈根第15届全球气候变化大会上,但没有人注意到我们。
Governments were so busy arguing with one another and blaming each other for causing climate change,
各国忙着彼此争论,互相指责对方造成了气候变化,
that when a small country raised our hands and announced,
所以当我们这种小国家,举手宣誓
"We promise to remain carbon neutral for all time," nobody heard us. Nobody cared.
“我们承诺永远保持碳平衡”时,根本没人理睬我们。没有人在乎。
Last December in Paris, at COP 21, we reiterated our promise to remain carbon neutral for all time to come.
去年12月在巴黎举行的第21届全球气候变化大会上,我们重申我们的承诺,未来都会保持碳平衡的立场。
This time, we were heard. We were noticed, and everybody cared.
这一次,我们的声音被听见了。我们被注意到了,每个人都相当关心。
What was different in Paris was that governments came round together to accept the realities of climate change,
巴黎气候变化大会与之前不同的地方是,各国政府意识到并接受气候变化的事实,
and were willing to come together and act together and work together.
一起行动、一起努力的意愿非常强烈。
All countries, from the very small to the very large, committed to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions.
所有的国家,从小国到大国,都愿意承诺降低温室气体的排放。
The UN Framework Convention on Climate Change says that if these so-called intended commitments are kept,
联合国气候变化纲要公约说明,如果这些所谓的“承诺”能维持,
we'd be closer to containing global warming by two degrees Celsius.
我们的全球变暖温度就可能维持在两摄氏度以内。
By the way, I've requested the TED organizers here to turn up the heat in here by two degrees,
顺便说一下,我已要求TED这边的筹办单位,把室内的空调温度提高两度,
so if some of you are feeling warmer than usual, you know who to blame.
所以,如果各位觉得比平常稍热,你知道要怪谁了吧!
It's crucial that all of us keep our commitments.
我们每个人都遵守承诺很重要。
As far as Bhutan is concerned, we will keep our promise to remain carbon neutral.
就不丹而言,我们会继续信守对碳平衡的承诺。
Here are some of the ways we are doing it. We are providing free electricity to our rural farmers.
我们已经开始执行一些方法。我们提供免费电力给乡村的农夫。
The idea is that, with free electricity, they will no longer have to use firewood to cook their food.
这个想法就是,有了免费电力,他们就不会用煤炭来烹煮他们的食物。
We are investing in sustainable transport and subsidizing the purchase of electric vehicles.
我们正对可持续运输进行投资,并补助人民购买电动车。
Similarly, we are subsidizing the cost of LED lights, and our entire government is trying to go paperless.
同样地,我们也补助LED灯的费用。我们所有政府单位正尝试往无纸作业方向努力。
We are cleaning up our entire country through Clean Bhutan, a national program,
我们实行国策“洁净不丹”来让国家更加干净。
and we are planting trees throughout our country through Green Bhutan, another national program.
并实行另一个国策“绿色不丹”,在全国上下栽种更多的植物。
But it is our protected areas that are at the core of our carbon neutral strategy.
但是,我们所要保护的区域,才是我们碳平衡策略的核心。
Our protected areas are our carbon sink. They are our lungs.
我们保护的区域就是我们的净碳槽。它们是我们呼吸的肺。
Today, more than half our country is protected, as national parks, nature reserves and wildlife sanctuaries.
现在,我们有超过一半的国土是保护区,像是国家公园、自然保护区和野生动物保护区。
But the beauty is that we've connected them all with one another through a network of biological corridors.
但美妙之处在于,我们通过生态网络走廊,将它们彼此连接起来。
Now, what this means is that our animals are free to roam throughout our country.
意思就是,我们的动物可以自由地漫步在整个国家。
Take this tiger, for example. It was spotted at 250 meters above sea level in the hot, subtropical jungles.
拿这只老虎为例,它曾经在炎热的亚热带丛林中,海平面以上250米处被发现。
Two years later, that same tiger was spotted near 4,000 meters in our cold alpine mountains. Isn't that awesome?
两年后,同样的老虎,在将近4000米海拔的寒冷高山区也被发现了。是不是很了不起?
We must keep it that way. We must keep our parks awesome.
我们必须继续保持下去。我们的保护区必须继续给人惊喜。
So every year, we set aside resources to prevent poaching, hunting, mining and pollution in our parks,
因此每年,我们都会预留资源,来预防偷猎、打猎、开垦、污染我们的保护区,
and resources to help communities who live in those parks manage their forests, adapt to climate change,
并协助住在这些保护区的社区居民管理他们的森林、适应气候变化、
and lead better lives while continuing to live in harmony with Mother Nature.
在提高生活质量的同时与大自然母亲和谐相处。
But that is expensive. Over the next few years,
但这是需要付出昂贵代价的。接下来的几年,
our small economy won't have the resources to cover all the costs that are required to protect our environment.
我们这个小经济体将不会有足够的资金来保护我们的环境。
In fact, when we run the numbers, it looks like it'll take us at least 15 years before we can fully finance all our conservation efforts.
事实上,我们进行财务评估时,我们发觉至少得花15年的时间,才够支付我们所有的保护工作。
But neither Bhutan, nor the world can afford to spend 15 years going backwards.
但不仅是不丹,全世界也无法承受得起花15年时间使发展水平倒退。
This is why His Majesty the King started Bhutan For Life. Bhutan For Life gives us the time we need.
这就是为什么我们的国王陛下要实行“不丹永存”的国策。“不丹永存”国策给我们足够的时间。
It gives us breathing room. It is essentially a funding mechanism to look after our parks,
它给予我们喘息的余地。它本质上是一种募集资金机制,用以照顾我们的公园、
to protect our parks, until our government can take over on our own fully.
保护我们的公园,直到我们的政府有能力可以完全接手。
The idea is to raise a transition fund from individual donors, corporations and institutions,
想法是,从个人捐赠、法人机构来募集转型基金,
but the deal is closed only after predetermined conditions are met and all funds committed.
但直到预设的条件达到,及所有资金到位后才会关闭募资。
So multiparty, single closing: an idea we borrowed from Wall Street.
所以要多方募资、单方停止:这想法是从华尔街借鉴的。
This means that individual donors can commit without having to worry that they'll be left supporting an underfunded plan.
这表意味着个人捐赠者可以完全不必担心赞助了一个无法完成募资的计划。
It's something like a Kickstarter project, only with a 15-year time horizon and millions of tons of carbon dioxide at stake.
这有点像众筹平台Kickstarter上的项目,只是,这是长达15年的项目,涉及到上百万吨的二氧化碳。
Once the deal is closed, we use the transition fund to protect our parks,
当募资关闭的时候,我们会利用转换基金来保护我们的公园、
giving our government time to increase our own funding gradually until the end of the 15-year period.
给我们政府时间来慢慢增加我们的自有资金直到15年结束。
After that, our government guarantees full funding forever.
之后,我们的政府保证永远全额资助。
We are almost there. We expect to close later this year. Naturally, I'm pretty excited.
我们快要实现了。我们预计今年底完成募资。当然,我相当兴奋。
The World Wildlife Fund is our principle partner in this journey,
世界自然基金会是我们这趟旅程中最主要的伙伴,
and I want to give them a big shoutout for the excellent work they are doing in Bhutan and across the world.
我要大声地公开感谢他们为不丹及全世界所做的一切。
Whew, it is getting warm in here.
呼,现在好像有点热了。
I thank you for listening to our story, a story of how we are keeping our promise to remain carbon neutral,
我要感谢各位聆听我们的故事,一个我们如何信守对碳平衡承诺的故事,
a story of how we are keeping our country pristine, for ourselves, our children, for your children and for the world.
一个我们如何保持国家原始纯洁的故事,这都是为了我们自己、我们孩子的将来,为了你们孩子、全世界的将来。
But we are not here to tell stories, are we? We are here to dream together.
但我们不是来这里讲故事的,对吧?我们在这里一起梦想。
So in closing, I'd like to share one more dream that I have.
所以结束前,我要向各位分享我的一个梦想。
What if we could mobilize our leadership and our resources, our influence and our passion,
要是大家可以一起动员我们的领袖及我们的资源、我们的影响力及热情,
to replicate the Bhutan For Life idea to other countries so that they too can conserve their protected areas for all time.
来复制“不丹永存”的想法给全世界,那么他们也可以永远保存自己的保护区。
After all, there are many other countries who face the same issues that we face.
毕竟,现在有很多的国家也面临我们正面临的困境。
They too have natural resources that can help win the world's fight for sustainability,
他们也有自然资源,可以帮助赢得这场全球可持续发展的战争,
only they may not have the ability to invest in them now.
只是他们现在没有能力资助他们自己。
So what if we set up Earth For Life, a global fund, to kickstart the Bhutan For Life throughout the world?
所以,要是我们能设立“地球永存”全球性融资计划,将“不丹永存”模式复制到全世界?
I invite you to help me, to carry this dream beyond our borders to all those who care about our planet's future.
我邀请各位帮助我,让我们打破疆界,为了我们地球的未来一起来圆这个梦想。
After all, we're here to dream together, to work together, to fight climate change together, to protect our planet together.
毕竟,我们在这里就是要一起梦想、一起合作、一起对抗气候变迁、一起保护我们的地球。
Because the reality is we are in it together. Some of us might dress differently, but we are in it together.
因为,现实是,大家都是同舟共命。虽然我们穿着的服饰不同,但我们都住在同一个地球上。
Thank you very much, and kadrin chhe la. Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
非常谢谢各位,感恩,谢谢。谢谢!谢谢各位,谢谢各位。

分享到