(单词翻译:单击)
When faced with a big challenge where potential failure seems to lurk at every corner,
当面临一个巨大的挑战时,失败的可能性貌似在各个角落潜伏着,
maybe you've heard this advice before: "Be more confident."
也许你曾听过这样的建议:“更自信一点!”
And most likely, this is what you think when you hear it: "If only it were that simple."
在你听到这样的建议后,你更有可能会想"如果真有那么简单就好了。"
But what is confidence?
然而,什么是自信呢?
Take the belief that you are valuable, worthwhile, and capable, also known as self-esteem,
相信自己是有价值的,值得被看重的,并且有能力的,也被称为自尊心,
add in the optimism that comes when you are certain of your abilities,
加上肯定自己的乐观态度,
and then empowered by these, act courageously to face a challenge head-on.
这些让你变得更有力量,勇敢无畏地直面挑战。
This is confidence. It turns thoughts into action.
这,就是自信。它可以把想法变为实际行动。
So where does confidence even come from?
那么,自信到底从何而来?
There are several factors that impact confidence.
影响自信的因素很多。
One: what you're born with, such as your genes,
一:先天的因素,就像是基因
which will impact things like the balance of neurochemicals in your brain.
会影响大脑神经化学物质的平衡。
Two: how you're treated. This includes the social pressures of your environment.
二:别人对待你的方式。这包括你所处环境的社会压力。
And three: the part you have control over, the choices you make, the risks you take,
三:你自己控制的部分,你所做的选择、你要冒的险,
and how you think about and respond to challenges and setbacks.
加上你面临挑战和困难时的想法。
It isn't possible to completely untangle these three factors,
这三个因素密不可分,
but the personal choices we make certainly play a major role in confidence development.
但是我们自己做出的选择其实在树立自信的过程中扮演着更重要的角色。
So, by keeping in mind a few practical tips, we do actually have the power to cultivate our own confidence.
所以,通过牢记一些实用技巧,我们就能真正的拥有培养自信的能力。
Tip 1: a quick fix.
技巧一:快速调整心态。
There are a few tricks that can give you an immediate confidence boost in the short term.
善用一些小技巧让自己在短时间内快速提升自信。
Picture your success when you're beginning a difficult task,
当你面对一项艰巨的任务,试着想象你成功时的画面,
something as simple as listening to music with deep bass; it can promote feelings of power.
比如像听重低音的音乐这样简单的事,这可以提升你的正面能量。
You can even strike a powerful pose or give yourself a pep talk.
你也可以摆出一个强有力的姿势,或者对自己说鼓励的话。
Tip two: believe in your ability to improve.
技巧二:相信自己会进步。
If you're looking for a long-term change, consider the way you think about your abilities and talents.
如果你追求的是长期的改变,不妨想一想你对自己的能力与天赋的看法。
Do you think they are fixed at birth, or that they can be developed, like a muscle?
你认为能力是先天的吗?还是像肌肉一样可以锻炼?
These beliefs matter because they can influence how you act when you're faced with setbacks.
这些想法很重要,因为当你面对挫折时它们会影响你的所作所为。
If you have a fixed mindset, meaning that you think your talents are locked in place,
如果你有自我设限的想法,那就意味着你对于自身的天资没信心,
you might give up, assuming you've discovered something you're not very good at.
你也许就会放弃。认为自己就是不擅长这件事。
But if you have a growth mindset and think your abilities can improve, a challenge is an opportunity to learn and grow.
如果你拥有成长性思维,并认为自己有能力可以改善,挑战于你而言将会是一次学习与提升的机会。
Neuroscience supports the growth mindset.
神经科学支持成长型思维的想法。
The connections in your brain do get stronger and grow with study and practice.
随着学习与实践,他么脑突触间的链接会得到不断的强化
It also turns out, on average, people who have a growth mindset are more successful,
结果表明,平均而言,具有成长型思维的人会更容易成功,
getting better grades, and doing better in the face of challenges.
获得更好的成就,并且在面对挑战之时会表现得更精彩。
Tip three: practice failure.
技巧三:练习失败。
Face it, you're going to fail sometimes. Everyone does.
面对现实吧!你总有失败的时候,每个人都会有。
J.K.Rowling was rejected by twelve different publishers before one picked up "Harry Potter."
J.K。罗琳曾被十二个不同的出版商所拒绝,直至一个出版商决定出版《哈利波特》。
The Wright Brothers built on history's failed attempts at flight,
莱特兄弟的成功是建立在无数次失败的的飞行尝试,
including some of their own, before designing a successful airplane.
其中包括了几次他们自己的失败,经历这些后他们才设计出一架成功的飞机。
Studies show that those who fail regularly and keep trying anyway
研究表明,那些经常失败却还坚持不断尝试的人
are better equipped to respond to challenges and setbacks in a constructive way.
从自身能力上讲比较有能力面对对挑战与挫折。
They learn how to try different strategies, ask others for advice, and persevere.
他们学会了怎样去尝试不同的策略,询问他人的意见并且坚持不懈。
So, think of a challenge you want to take on, realize it's not going to be easy,
所以,考虑好你想要承受的挑战,明白那不会是件容易的事,
accept that you'll make mistakes, and be kind to yourself when you do.
坦然接受自己将要犯的错,并在此过程中善待自己。
Give yourself a pep talk, stand up, and go for it.
对自己加以鼓励,站起来,并为此奋斗。
The excitement you'll feel knowing that whatever the result, you'll have gained greater knowledge and understanding.
真正令人兴奋的是,不管你遭遇怎样的结果,你都将收获到更好的知识与领悟。
This is confidence.
这,才是自信。