(单词翻译:单击)
The crimson curtain hung before the arch.
拱门前悬挂着大红门帘。
Slight as was the separation this drapery formed from the party in the adjoining saloon,
虽然我们与毗连的餐室中的客人之间,仅一层之隔,
they spoke in so low a key that nothing of their conversation could be distinguished beyond a soothing murmur.
但他们话说得那么轻,除了柔和的嗡嗡声,彼此之间的交谈一点都听不清楚。
Adèle, who appeared to be still under the influence of a most solemnising impression,
阿黛勒似乎仍受着严肃气氛的震慑,
sat down, without a word, on the footstool I pointed out to her.
一声不吭地坐在我指给她的小凳上。
I retired to a window-seat, and taking a book from a table near, endeavoured to read.
我退缩在一个靠窗的位置上,随手从临近的台子上取了本书,竭力读下去。
Adèle brought her stool to my feet; ere long she touched my knee.
阿黛勒把她的小凳子搬到我脚边,不久便碰了碰我膝头。
"What is it, Adèle?"
"怎么啦,阿黛勒?"
"Est-ce que je ne puis pas prendrie une seule de ces fleurs magnifiques, mademoiselle? Seulement pour completer ma toilette."
"小姐,我不能只有这些美丽的花?只有完成我的作品。"
"You think too much of your 'toilette,' Adèle, but you may have a flower."
"你对自己的‘外表’想得太多啦,阿黛勒,不过你可以戴一朵花。"
And I took a rose from a vase and fastened it in her sash.
于是我从花瓶里掐下一朵花来,系在她的彩带上。
She sighed a sigh of ineffable satisfaction, as if her cup of happiness were now full.
她舒了口气,显出一种不可言喻的满足,仿佛她的幸福之杯此刻已经斟满了。
I turned my face away to conceal a smile I could not suppress.
我转过脸去,掩饰自己抑制不住的微笑。
There was something ludicrous as well as painful in the little Parisienne's earnest and innate devotion to matters of dress.
在这位巴黎小女子天生对服饰的热烈追求中,既有几分可笑,又有几分可悲。