(单词翻译:单击)
Chapter 17
第十七章
A week passed, and no news arrived of Mr. Rochester.
一个星期过去了,却不见罗切斯特先生的消息。
Ten days, and still he did not come.
十天过去了,他仍旧没有来。
Mrs. Fairfax said she should not be surprised if he were to go straight from the Leas to London,
费尔法克斯太太说,要是他直接从里斯去伦敦,
and thence to the Continent, and not show his face again at Thornfield for a year to come.
并从那儿转道去欧洲大陆,一年内不再在桑菲尔德露面,她也不会感到惊奇。
He had not unfrequently quitted it in a manner quite as abrupt and unexpected.
他常常出乎意料地说走就走。
When I heard this, I was beginning to feel a strange chill and failing at the heart.
听她这么一说,我心里冷飕飕沉甸甸的。
I was actually permitting myself to experience a sickening sense of disappointment.
实际上我在任凭自己陷入一种令人厌恶的失落感。
But rallying my wits, and recollecting my principles, I at once called my sensations to order.
不过我调动了智慧,重建了原则,立刻使自己的感觉恢复了正常。
And it was wonderful how I got over the temporary blunder.
说来也让人惊奇,我终于纠正了一时的过错。
How I cleared up the mistake of supposing Mr. Rochester's movements a matter in which I had any cause to take a vital interest.
清除了认为有理由为罗切斯特先生的行动操心的错误想法。
Not that I humbled myself by a slavish notion of inferiority.
我并没有低声下气,怀着奴性十足的自卑感。
On the contrary, I just said: "You have nothing to do with the master of Thornfield,
相反,我只说:“你同桑菲尔德的主人无关,
further than to receive the salary he gives you for teaching his protegee,
无非是拿了他给的工资,去教他的被保护人而已,
and to be grateful for such respectful and kind treatment as, if you do your duty, you have a right to expect at his hands.
你感激他体面友好的款待。不过你尽了职,得到这样的款待是理所应当的。
Be sure that is the only tie he seriously acknowledges between you and him.
这是你与他之间他唯一严肃承认的关系。
So don't make him the object of your fine feelings, your raptures, agonies, and so forth.
所以不要把你的柔情、你的狂喜、你的痛苦等等系在他身上。
He is not of your order.
他不属于你的阶层。
Keep to your caste, and be too self-respecting to lavish the love of the whole heart, soul, and strength,
记住你自己的社会地位吧,要充分自尊,免得把全身心的爱,
where such a gift is not wanted and would be despised."
徒然浪费在不需要甚至瞧不起这份礼物的地方。”