(单词翻译:单击)
演讲文本
There's so many of you.
好多人呀。
When I was a kid, I hid my heart under the bed, because my mother said,
当我还是小孩子的时候,我把自己的心藏在床底下,因为我的妈妈告诉我,
"If you're not careful, someday someone's going to break it."
“你要是不小心保管,终有一天有人会摧毁它。”
Take it from me. Under the bed is not a good hiding spot.
听我说,床底下并不是藏东西的好地方,
I know because I've been shot down so many times I get altitude sickness just from standing up for myself.
我很清楚因为每当我想要站起来,自强不息的时候,都会因为“高原反应”而被一次次打倒在地。
But that's what we were told. Stand up for yourself.
但这就是别人教我们的。自强不息。
And that's hard to do if you don't know who you are.
如果你没有明确的定位,你很难做到自强不息。
We were expected to define ourselves at such an early age, and if we didn't do it, others did it for us.
我们还很小的时候就被要求明确自己的定位,如果我们做不到,别人就会代劳。
Geek. Fatty. Slut. Fag.
“呆子”。“胖子”。“荡妇”。“苦力”。
And at the same time we were being told what we were, we were being asked,
在我们被赋予身份定位的同时,我们总是被人问到,
"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
“长大后你想做什么?”
I always thought that was an unfair question.
我一直觉得这个问题问得很不公平。
It presupposes that we can't be what we already are. We were kids.
它预先假设了我们不能维持现在的样子。我们是小孩子。
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a man.
当我是小孩子的时候,我想变成一个男人。
I wanted a registered retirement savings plan that would keep me in candy long enough to make old age sweet.
我想要有自己的养老金账户,钱足够我把余下的一辈子时间都只花在制作老式糖果上
When I was a kid, I wanted to shave. Now, not so much.
当我是小孩子的时候,我希望可以刮胡子。现在?不想了。
When I was eight, I wanted to be a marine biologist.
八岁的时候,我想当海洋生物学家。
When I was nine, I saw the movie "Jaws," and thought to myself, "No, thank you."
九岁的时候,我看了《大白鲨》。然后我对自己说,“还是算了吧。”
And when I was 10, I was told that my parents left because they didn't want me.
十岁的时候,我的生父母离开了我,他们不要我了。
When I was 11, I wanted to be left alone.
11岁的时候,我希望自己一个人生活。
When I was 12, I wanted to die. When I was 13, I wanted to kill a kid.
12岁的时候我不想活了。13岁的时候我想杀掉一个小孩。
When I was 14, I was asked to seriously consider a career path.
14岁的时候我被要求严肃的考虑以后的职业生涯。
I said, "I'd like to be a writer." And they said, "Choose something realistic."
我说,“我想做一个作家。”他们说:“说个现实点的工作。”
So I said, "Professional wrestler." And they said, "Don't be stupid."
于是我说,“职业摔跤运动员。”他们说,“别傻了。”
See, they asked me what I wanted to be, then told me what not to be.
你看,他们问我想做什么,然后又告诉我统统不能做。
And I wasn't the only one.
而且不止是我一个人
视频及简介
演讲简介:
俏皮和欢快之后,诗人谢恩·科伊赞将我们带入了另一种孩童时代的成长经历。“时至今日”。他朗诵的诗歌开始触及恃强凌弱的行为。这段由80位动画师集体创作的病毒视频吸引了几百万人的观看。在这里,他重温了这段动画背后的故事。背景音乐小提琴独奏由汉娜·埃珀森女士演奏。