《名人传记》之亚伯拉罕·林肯第43期:道德沦丧的男人
日期:2016-08-18 20:54

(单词翻译:单击)

名人传记

Stop prevaricating and answer, Representative Wood.

不要再闪烁其词了 伍德议员

I don't hold with equality in all things,only with equality before the law.After the decades,And nothing more.

我不认为人人生来一切平等 而只是承认法律面前人人平等 这么多年了仅此而已


He's answered your questions.This amendment has naught to do with race equality.

他在回答你的问题 这个修正案和种族平等没有关系

I don't hold with equality in all things, You have long insisted, have you not only with equality before the law that the dusk colored race and nothing more.is no different from the white one.

我不认为人人生来一切平等 你一直以来都坚持的观点呢 只是法律面前人人平等 难道认为有色人种 仅此而已 和白色人种不一样

Who'd ever've guessed that old nightmare capable of such control?

想不到这老头子竟然能装到现在

He might make a politician someday I need to go.Mrs. Keykley.

说不定哪一天他就能成为一名政治家 我要出去会 肯克莱太太

Your frantic attempt to delude us now is unworthy of a representative.It is in fact, unworthy of a white man.

你这种含糊其辞的做法 真是不配做一个议员 事实上 甚至不配做一个白人公民

How can I hold that all men are created equal,when here before me stands, stinking,

当我面前站着一个来自俄亥俄州 臭气熏天 道德沦丧的男人

the moral carcass of the gentleman from Ohio,proof that some men are inferior,

你让我怎么相信人类的一切均为平等 这不就是劣等人存在的证明吗

endowed by their Maker with dim wits,impermeable to reason with cold pallid slime in their veins instead of hot red blood!

造物主只给予了他们最低等的智慧 血管里流淌的不是鲜红炽热的鲜血 而是冰冷呆滞的泥浆

You are more reptile than man, George,so low and flat that the foot of man is incapable of crushing you.

比起人类 你更像爬行动物 乔治 如此的低下渺小 以至于人类无法用脚把你踩死

How dare you.Yet even you, Pendleton,who should have been gibbetted for treason long before today,

胆大包天 即使是你 彭德尔顿 早就该因叛国罪被送上绞刑架的你

even worthless unworthy you ought to be treated equally before the law.

即使一文不值 也该被法律平等对待

词汇解析

1、instead

代替…;而不是…

She had to spend nearly four months away from him that summer, instead of the usual two.

那个夏天她被迫离开他将近四个月而不是通常的两个月。

Check-out workers in London will receive 7.17 an hour instead of 6.54.

伦敦的收银员每小时工资将从原先的 6.54 英镑涨为 7.17 英镑。

作为替代;反而;相反地

He reached for the wine but did not drink, pushed it, instead, across the table towards Joanna.

他伸手拿酒却没有喝,而是把它推给了坐在桌子对面的乔安娜。

The kitchen might have been workable had Nicola kept it tidy; instead it was littered with pots and pans.

如果妮古拉会收拾,厨房本来是能用的;但现在,这里到处乱放着锅碗瓢盆。


2、insist

坚持;坚决认为(或主张、要求)

My family insisted that I should not give in, but stay and fight.

家里人坚持认为我不应让步,而应该留下来继续抗争。

She insisted on being present at all the interviews.

她坚持所有采访自己都要在场。

坚称;坚持说

The president insisted that he was acting out of compassion, not opportunism.

总统坚持说他如此做是出于同情而不是为了投机。

It's not that difficult,she insists.

“并没有那么困难,”她坚持说。

分享到