《名人传记》之亚伯拉罕·林肯第10期:逐出内阁
日期:2016-07-16 20:42

(单词翻译:单击)

名人传记

You need us to keep the conservative side of the party in the traces

你需要我们稳定住 共和党内的保守派

while you diddle the radicals and bundle up with Thaddeus Stevens' gang,You need our help.

与此同时你去说服 并拉拢塞德斯·史蒂文斯那伙激进派 你需要我们的帮助


Yes, sir, I do.Well, what do we get? Whoo! Blunt!

是的 没错 那我们有什么好处 你也太直接了

Your manners, Monty.Must be why Mr. Lincoln pushed you out of his cabinet.He was pushed out.

礼貌一点儿 蒙蒂 我算知道为什么林肯先生把你逐出内阁了 他不是被逐出的

I wasn't pushed. Oh of course you weren't.I agreed to resign.He was pushed out to placate the goddamn radical abolishonists!

我不是被逐出的 当然不是 我主动辞职的 他被逐出是为了安抚那些该死的废奴激进派

Oh Daddy, please! Daddy.Oh. You don't mind, boy, do you?

爸爸 请你注意点 小伙子 你不介意吧

He spends his days with soldiers.They taught me a song! Did they?

他跟士兵一起混过 他们教了我一首歌 是嘛

Soldiers know all manner of songs.How's your brother Bob?

当兵的最会唱歌了 你哥哥鲍勃还好吗

He's at school now,but he's coming to visit in four days. For the shindy!

他还在上学 不过再过4天他就回来参加宴会了

At school? Ain't that fine!Good he's not in the army!

上学 真棒啊 至少没去参军

He wants to be, but mama said he can't Dangerous life, soldiering.

他想去 但是妈妈不让他去 当兵危险得很

Your mama is wise to keep him clean out of that.

你妈妈不让他去很明智

Now your Daddy knows that what I want,in return for all the help I give him,

现在你父亲知道我想要什么 换取我对他的帮助

is to go down to Richmond like he said I could,as soon as Savannah fell,and talk to Jefferson Davis.

如他所承诺的一样 我要去里士满 萨瓦那一沦陷我就去 我还要和杰斐逊·戴维斯谈一谈

Give me terms I can offer to Jefferson Davis to start negotiating for peace.

告诉他我能提供的条件 以开启和谈

He'll talk to me!Conservative members of your party want you to listen to overtures from Richmond.That above all!

他会和我谈的 你们党内的保守派 想让你听一听来自里士满的提议 这才是重中之重

词汇解析

1、conservative

(英国)保守党的,支持保守党的

Most Conservative MPs appear happy with the government's reassurances.

大多数保守党下议院议员似乎都对政府的再三保证感到满意。

disenchanted Conservative voters.

不再抱任何幻想的保守党选民

保守的;因循守旧的

People tend to be more aggressive when they're young and more conservative as they get older.

人们年轻的时候往往较为激进,而随着年龄的增长会变得保守起来。

It is essentially a narrow and conservative approach to child care.

这实质上是一种狭隘的、因循守旧的照顾孩子的方法。

(估计或猜测)保守的,稳妥的

A conservative estimate of the bill, so far, is about 22,000 pounds.

到目前为止,这笔账单保守估计为大约2.2万英镑。

This guess is probably on the conservative side.

这个猜测可能偏于保守。


2、resign

辞职;辞去;放弃

A hospital administrator has resigned over claims he lied to get the job.

一位医院的管理人员辞职了,因为有人指责他为了得到这份工作而撒了谎。

Mr Robb resigned his position last month.

罗布先生上个月辞职了。

屈从;顺从;安于;勉强接受

Pat and I resigned ourselves to yet another summer without a boat.

我和帕特在没有船的情况下勉强又凑合了一个夏天。

He had resigned himself to watching the European Championships on television.

他只好将就着在电视上看欧洲锦标赛。

分享到
重点单词
  • cabinetn. 橱柜,内阁 adj. 私人的
  • fell动词fall的过去式 n. 兽皮 vt. 砍伐,击倒 a
  • conservativeadj. 保守的,守旧的 n. 保守派(党), 保守的人
  • bluntadj. 钝的,迟钝的,直率的 v. 使迟钝,变钝
  • essentiallyadv. 本质上,本来
  • placatevt. 抚慰,和解
  • radicaladj. 激进的,基本的,彻底的 n. 激进分子
  • approachn. 接近; 途径,方法 v. 靠近,接近,动手处理
  • administratorn. 管理人,行政官
  • aggressiveadj. 侵略的,有进取心的,好斗的